Beetroot Addict.

super22k

Can anyone tell me where I can buy raw Beetroot in Chiang Mai?

I have tried one or two markets without success and Rimping have only small greyish beetroot in cellophane packages.

Are there any ex-pat beetroot lovers in Chiang Mai apart from myself who can help?

• Like 2

I brought some tinned beetroot back from a Australia recently and am down to my last tin. Has anyone seen tinned beetroot on a supermarket shelf? Hamburgers without pickled beetroot are like ribs without ......whatever they put on ribs.

Macro has it also

I've only been in Roi-Et for 3 weeks and was amazed to find raw beetroot in Macro today.

I know it's not Chiang Mai but it must have a Macro?

Use GPS - you can't beat the best route.... (will that get me banned?). In Bangers and now down here in Jomtien, I've not been deprived of beetroot. Usually available at Big C or Tops. Chiang Mai has supermarkets, doesn't it? It seemed to be a burgeoning place 30 years ago when I was last there. Beetroot on a hamburger? Only if you add a pineapple ring, NZ tasty cheese, more NZ tasty cheese, fried onions, and HP sauce. I don't mind a bit of naam pla plik, as well.

I seen some in the market the other day,but it must be near end of

season for it as there was a lot of bad ones in the bag, and they had

cut all the tops and bottoms off!, so no good really as all the colour

would bleed out when boiling it.

They had a few in Makro but they were the size of a grapefruit,too

big they would have been like blocks of wood.

Regards Worgeordie

I'm an addict too - just LOVE it!

I grow it myself in the dry season and preserve for use all year round. - easy!

I have seen it occasionally in Rimping's - predictably at a ridiculous price! The only place I've seen DECENT fresh beetroot is on the Fang Road (I live in Fang) in the popular Royal Project roadside market well North of Chiang Daow

I've known fresh-beetroot to be available (in season) from hill-tribe villagers, selling at the Mae-Jo/San-Sai-Hospital market (about 2 km north of M-J), every Thursday-afternoon.

Perhaps the Royal-Project shop might also have it ? Just a thought.

Sorry I don't know. But I offer this fantastic recipe. smile.png

Sawsdee Khrup, Khun Morakot,

What time is dinner ? Would it be okay if brought my own puree device (in case you don't have one) ?

thanks, ~o:37;

• Like 1

I have seen it occasionally in Rimping's - predictably at a ridiculous price! The only place I've seen DECENT fresh beetroot is on the Fang Road (I live in Fang) in the popular Royal Project roadside market well North of Chiang Daow

Never seen any seeds on sale here. Where do you get them?

I've never seen them in Thailand. I buy them on the www either from Australia or US:

Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds -www.rareseeds.com/

or Eden Seeds - www.edenseeds.com.au

or Digger's Club - www.diggersgardenclub.com.au

No problems in importing them into Thailand. I've found Baker's Creek to be the the best and cheapest - and very reliable.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I've never seen them in Thailand. I buy them on the www either from Australia or US:

No problems in importing them into Thailand. I've found Baker's Creek to be the the best and cheapest - and very reliable.

Best of luck!

How do you actually grow them?

My wife is the one with green fingers and I am the one with the thumbs of death. Most thing I used to plant died every time.

I used to love beetroots just after my Mum used to cook them but she died 40 years ago and it is difficult to get an answer now.

I bought beetroot seeds the other day at Warorot market at the vegetable seeds stall at the end of the corridor with lots of fishing nets. Brand name Kantar ( ข่านตัา ), red and white packet, variety Detroit2. Seeds germinated in 4-5 days. Should be ready to harvest the root in 55-65 days. I enjoy eating the leaves as much as the root.

I get it at Royal Project, when they have it. Super cheap at their wholesale outlet on the road to Doi Kham temple, alongside the Royal Flora. They don't always have it of course, but it freezes well.

It's this place N18 45 09.88 E98 55 34.62. Yesterday they had a lot for really reasonable prices. Be quick; my wife just told me she'll go for some kilos more tomorrow morning ...

Best of luck!

I went on line to the Bakers Creek site this afternoon and what a superb site it is.

I looked up melons and thought no problem except there are 5 pages and 120 varieties alone to look at including at least one Thai variety.

Now of course I have to get 'er indoors to give me a bit of land for a garden then get it ploughed up and apply compost to it. it should be no problem as we have 15 rai to play with.

Have you tried Howies Homemade Pickled Red Beets? You can get them in Rimping near the iron bridge. In a 454gm glass jar for about 90baht. Good taste and ideal on burgers

I must have missed them. I will launch an intensive search this week. Thanks

I've seen canned beetroot and pickled beetroot in the stores. Also, a common item at many salad bars. I've seen fresh beetroot numerous times at RimPing and Tops, but don't buy it because it takes so long to cook. Just stick with what I buy from a salad bar.

I wondered how long it would take someone to mention that the leaves are great, too. The young leaves are very decorative and look great in a mixed green salad. The older leaves can be lightly steamed and served with a bit of vinegar -- like you do spinach. More tang than spinach, though.

Sigh -- it was a trip down memory lane to learn the variety of the seeds at Warorot is Detroit2. We lived near Detroit, and yes, beets do very well in the local gardens. I used to grow 6-8 different varieties, primarily for the leaves for salads. Some varieties have very decorative leaves, but aren't very good at producing beetroot. No matter -- Hubby never did like beetroot much, but he'd dig into a mixed greens salad no problem.