'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

Understood. But different things are different things and will be seen differently.

Like a bar for "fun" with Nazi stuff where the people don't have a clue what it really represents will be seen differently than the Chiang Mai incident of a respected school having a Nazi style grand parade.

Yes I think Thailand has got an international rep now of a country where the people are very uneducated about Nazis and Hitler. The reputation is completely deserved. That's not flattering but it could be worse.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

That would be an international embarrassment. Nationally, well, I would hesitate to offer an opinion on how the Thai nationals might feel about this.

I think perhaps a missed point is that Hitler and the Nazi thing is still recent history for many of us. Some here can talk about other folk attached to atrocities but most of these are old history. My chum is a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London who in his job talks to the visitors about chopping heads off etc in a fun sort of way cos it is from a bygone era. I think a lot of difference. Is there a restaurant in LOS called Pol Pot, don't think so, but l could be wrong..

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

That would be an international embarrassment. Nationally, well, I would hesitate to offer an opinion on how the Thai nationals might feel about this.

Well then, they might be reminded of the stink they put up when a western company made and sold (in their own country) woman's bathing suits with pictures of buddha on it, or they might be reminded when a thai restaurant run by westerners in the us put out flyers with pictures of a certain monarch on it and the fuss they made about that......I could go on and on

What thailand needs to realize is that if they want other nations to take them seriously and appreciate their values then they must do that as well.

Other nations know Thailand quite well and when they stomp their feet and throw a tantrum, it is not even noticed.

I think perhaps a missed point is that Hitler and the Nazi thing is still recent history for many of us.

It wasn't missed. It was made several times by myself and others.

Sorry that you cut out the rest of my post. sad.png

It's a national embarrassment,  and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this. 

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches.  Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.

Burger King tried the same thing in Australia taking a small family business to court.  Burger King lost and that is why they are called Hungry Jack's in Australia.

Now quite true, hungry jacks bought the likeness to Burger king and then burger king tried to enter the market as a seperate entity 20 years after. Though because hungry jacks owned the rights to the BK menu bk was actually infringing on hungry jacks license. Weird situation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If Hitler was alive today he would have considered this restaurant a personal insult of the highest degree as he was a dedicated vegetarian. He would had all involved publicly executed.

• 10 months later...

The Thais education system achieves extremely low marks for teaching history and this largely explains the Hitler and swastika issue.

Look even now at the use if the 3 fingered salute that the anti-coup protesters are using that is supposed to mean liberty, equality and fraternity that comes right from the French revolution that overthrew the powers that be in a coup! Almost like using a Nazi salute to protest against fascism.

You could do a lot worse than look at the Wikipedia article on the French Revolution if you have a spare minute.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Thait Spot

This is a fad with kids... I don't know why. Even the Brits like spoofing Nazi's

Royal-rebel---Prince-Harry--Nazi-costume

Wow, 17 months later.

I am sure he would still get a visa though

Isn't his granny a German?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And unfortunately the legacy of the Nazis has raised it`s ugly head again in Thailand and it`s all done in extremely bad taste. Includes

a special guest appearance of Tojo Nakasaki, son of the well known Japanese war criminal and celebrity, Mojo Nakasaki:

Edited by Beetlejuice

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

...............and your point is?

Pol Pot may have thinned the wrong country.

Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) may sue a fried chicken restaurant in Thailand called “Hitler” for using a similar logo featuring an image of Adolf Hitler in place of the iconic Colonel Sanders.

Did KFC go to court and sue as threatened ?

(Sorry about bold, it wont un-bold)

What a load of misinformed clowns most of you are. Col Sanders' image was modeled on a Southern Plantation owning slave trading member of the KKK. Not much difference between him and Hitler. He was actually an insurance salesman and not a colonel.

Better start burning your Hugo Boss suits, he designed the Nazi uniform etc.etc.

• Like 1

What a load of misinformed clowns most of you are. Col Sanders' image was modeled on a Southern Plantation owning slave trading member of the KKK. Not much difference between him and Hitler. He was actually an insurance salesman and not a colonel.

Better start burning your Hugo Boss suits, he designed the Nazi uniform etc.etc.

Put your red nose on. The title "Kentucky colonel" was first formalized in 1813, but was in informal use before that to refer to people with honored reputations, often related to military service in the American Revolution. It was often associated with landowners respected in their communities. Early colonels served military roles in the state. In the latter part of the 19th century, the position took on a more ceremonial function. Colonels in uniform attended functions at the Governor's mansion and stood as symbolic guards at state events. By the late 19th century, the title had become more of an honorary one. This is rarely used, however; Kentucky colonels are usually just referred to and addressed as "Colonel". In writing, usage is Kentucky colonel when the term is not being used as a specific title for an individua

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Colonel

His jobs in insurance were before Sanders managed a gas station where he served food and later franchised it.

He was commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel in 1935 by Kentucky governor Ruby Laffoon. His local popularity grew, and in 1939 food critic Duncan Hines visited Sanders's restaurant and included it in Adventures in Good Eating, his guide to restaurants throughout the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Put your red nose on. The title "Kentucky colonel" was first formalized in 1813, but was in informal use before that to refer to people with honored reputations, often related to military service in the American Revolution. It was often associated with landowners respected in their communities. Early colonels served military roles in the state. In the latter part of the 19th century, the position took on a more ceremonial function. Colonels in uniform attended functions at the Governor's mansion and stood as symbolic guards at state events. By the late 19th century, the title had become more of an honorary one. This is rarely used, however; Kentucky colonels are usually just referred to and addressed as "Colonel". In writing, usage is Kentucky colonel when the term is not being used as a specific title for an individua

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Colonel

His jobs in insurance were before Sanders managed a gas station where he served food and later franchised it.

He was commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel in 1935 by Kentucky governor Ruby Laffoon. His local popularity grew, and in 1939 food critic Duncan Hines visited Sanders's restaurant and included it in Adventures in Good Eating, his guide to restaurants throughout the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

Yes you're right it is BS title without any power or authority. Now give me the low down on Hugo Boss and all the other Nazi Companies that are still in operation.

I was just saying his image is modeled on a plantation owner when he sold insurance and worked at a gas station.