Protesters call on Thai Army to stage 'peaceful coup'

webfact

Protesters call on Army to stage 'peaceful coup'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- About 100 anti-government protesters staged a rally outside Royal Thai Army Headquarters yesterday, calling on Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha to stage a peaceful coup against "parliamentary dictators who were attempting to bring the Army under their control".

Protest leader Samarn Sringarm, a veteran of campaigns against the Thaksin government, submitted a letter addressed to Prayuth, urging him to battle the "parliamentary dictators" who it said were plotting to sabotage the country's pillars of power and take charge of the military.

The letter asked Prayuth to stage a peaceful coup for the sake of national stability and to prevent any group from bringing His Majesty's military under its control.

The group also presented a bouquet of flowers to military guards at the headquarters as a symbol of moral support.

Supreme Commander Gen Thanasak Patimakorn and other military top brass will join the National Police Chief today on a visit to the Royal Thai Armed Forces' annual joint training exercise in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow sub-district.

Thanasak is expected to give the top brass's response to the ongoing controversy surrounding an audio clip in which it is alleged Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha and Thaksin Shinawatra discussed possible changes among the top brass.

Anti-government protesters led by Chaiwat Sinsuwong and the Pitak Siam group will today rally at the Defence Ministry to call on Yuthasak to step down following the leaking of the audio clip.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-11

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of the sentiment, it is a bit of a strange part of a quote ""parliamentary dictators who were attempting to bring the Army under their control". Surely the army should be under the control of any Government, which the army go to pains profess at times.

I dont often agree but yes the army should be under control of a government.

As for a coup, maybe a good idea seeing this government and its rice scam and having a fugitive (now with proof) leading the country from a distance is a discrage. But then again starting with coups is a bad thing and there is no real alternative for this government as long as the majority of Thai politicians are all corrupt its just changing those that feed of the government money. Only I still think the democrats steal less then the Reds, they really have up-scaled the theft.

Under the control for sure.

Under the ownership - no way

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of the sentiment, it is a bit of a strange part of a quote ""parliamentary dictators who were attempting to bring the Army under their control". Surely the army should be under the control of any Government, which the army go to pains profess at times.

I dont often agree but yes the army should be under control of a government.

As for a coup, maybe a good idea seeing this government and its rice scam and having a fugitive (now with proof) leading the country from a distance is a discrage. But then again starting with coups is a bad thing and there is no real alternative for this government as long as the majority of Thai politicians are all corrupt its just changing those that feed of the government money. Only I still think the democrats steal less then the Reds, they really have up-scaled the theft.

I dont and have never disagreed with people regarding the corruption and inability of the PTP- but my stance has always been just let them get on with it and in time they will be voted out- having a coup will just restart the cycle- and after a coup unless you envisage having the army running it indefinitely they will just create more resentment and 'feeling' of the whole system being controlled and just bolster the popularity of Thaksin and his proxies.

Sure, i see your point clearly that is why I am not sure about a coup because it is as you say.

I guess Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha needs to ask permission first to stage a coup from his boss, the Defence Minister . . . oh, hang on, Yingluck's the DM now . . . guess that pesky coup isn't going to happen now after all . . .

• Like 2

I guess Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha needs to ask permission first to stage a coup from his boss, the Defence Minister . . . oh, hang on, Yingluck's the DM now . . . guess that pesky coup isn't going to happen now after all . . .

I feel a committee coming on, and the budget will be ...?

I know a few countries, where the Army IS under control of the government. Most of them are called "a Democracy" and are seen as "Developed Countries"! Strange things, I say here, I know!

• Like 1

It's someone else who is normally consulted on such issues.

John Kerry.....lol

Edited by Thai at Heart

IMHO the RTA is quite right in keeping a little independence from corrupt politicians, (especially as far as its promotions system is concerned) while still carrying out duties as directed. If not, they will find that politicians' relatives and stooges will have rocket-powered promotions to the top jobs, as happened in the police force, removing the ultimate check for megalomaniacs installing themselves as dictator.

While there is no place for coups in a real democracy, how is that relevant to Thailand?

Peaceful coups are one thing, but afterwards they should have a few military tribunal trials, and carry out some permanent parasite removal. That would be a great incentive for RESPONSIBLE government.

Ozmick, you make fair points, especially about an element of independence, but through the history of Thailand has the army been virtuous and corruption free themselves, are they really the protectors of the country, or are the top brass all in it for themselves, much like the politicians. I think when it comes to corruption many would say the army are as bad if not worse than many of the Governments, and they really are untouchable and answerable to no one.

Obviously I am speculating, but I would imagine that many of the top people in the army/police are making tidy little sums themselves from this Government as they have many before them.

I made no claims of military virtuosity - sure they are corrupt, but the amount they can steal is very limited compared to the national budget. But the big point is that despite the many coups to remove corrupt governments, there has been no sustained effort to seize power.

And by maintaining their grip on promotion, they can stop corrupt politicians from exerting military influence, removing that check on political power seizure.

Would that the RTP had done the same thing, we might see politically influential criminals charged instead of their crimes being ignored.

They have never done any of that before in the numerous other times they have taken over, so i don't see why this time would be any different. As far as I can see whenever the Government changes they nearly always try and put 'friendly's into the top jobs. i don't think its anything new.

Quote:

"BANGKOK: -- About 100 anti-government protesters staged a rally outside Royal Thai Army Headquarters yesterday, calling on Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha to stage a peaceful coup against "parliamentary dictators who were attempting to bring the Army under their control"

Maybe somebody should explain to these people, that in any civilized country, the army operates under the control of a chosen parliament.

• Like 1

Military coups beget military coups. Look at the history of Thailand and the recent chain of events in Egypt and other places. It would certainly not promote progress towards true democracy --- whatever *that* is w00t.gif

Edited by jpinx

Having the corrupt army and corrupt opposition keeping an eye on the corrupt government stops the corruption from spiraling out of control.

Yes, the corruption is bad, but can you imagine what it would be like if the government and the army were working together? Zimbabwe comes to mind.

As to the suggestion of a peaceful coup, the last peaceful coup has worked a treat, hasn't it! Do we really want to reset back to 2006? ... except with the reds far more organised and militant than then.

• Like 2

Depends what sort of government controls the country, in a democracy the government and the people have nothing to fear from the military ,as there is proper procedure, balance and checks, so that the army in this case cannot over throw a government, sadly none of this applies to Thailand.

• Like 2

Depends what sort of government controls the country, in a democracy the government and the people have nothing to fear from the military ,as there is proper procedure, balance and checks, so that the army in this case cannot over throw a government, sadly none of this applies to Thailand.

Maybe the army should of done something about it one of the other 17 times they took over.

How about no?

Bad as things are, a coup is not going to make things better. How about you and your folks try to actually win elections for a change? It's not even that hard, basically all you've got to do is to show to Thais who are darker skinned than you are that you acknowledge their existence - instead of automatically assuming they are nothing more than ignorant, gullible voters-for-hire.

who is assuming...? blink.png