Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

whats disturbing is that most of the images on the poster are mostly fictitious "super hero" types that send something of a positive theme.... then there is hitler...

what you can extrapolate then is that hitler is like a fantasy character to them...a legend of some kind..so weird

• Like 2

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Oh come on, they are just having you on.

Faring think to much.

No they're not. Whoever did that and whoever didn't realize it was objectionable was IGNORANT. They have shamed their school in the eyes of the world, and also shamed Thailand as that is an elite school of the country ... except for Nazi lovers.

Seriously, how are Nazis and Hitler covered in the TEACHING there?

Shame is effective when it is reinforced with penalities and or social stigma. Where is the stigma or penality here? Tourists still flock to Thailand, almost every one is still gushing about how lovely the Thais are, so why change if there is no downside?

• Like 1

whats disturbing is that most of the images on the poster are mostly fictitious "super hero" types that send something of a positive theme.... then there is hitler...

what you can extrapolate then is that hitler is like a fantasy character to them...a legend of some kind..so weird

Yes, that's why it's clearly ignorance, and a pattern in Thailand shows there is a problem with their HISTORY curriculum.

• Like 1

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Hitler was a genocidal maniac and should not be so casually included in a graduation mural.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why not? Is anyone really offended?

Perhaps the students are bit smarter than you give them credit for and included it so they could get some free publicity and marvel at everyone getting upset about it.

Anyone using the celebration of hitler for free publicity isn't smart but are self centred morons.

Shame is effective when it is reinforced with penalities and or social stigma. Where is the stigma or penality here? Tourists still flock to Thailand, almost every one is still gushing about how lovely the Thais are, so why change if there is no downside?

Good point. There won't be a change. They won't improve the curriculum. But they still deserve the international publicity they are going to get about this and all the wildly stupid Nazi stuff they do in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If ignorance is bliss, these students must be extremely happy. <deleted>. Why doesn't the Thai educational system teach anything about the history of other parts of the world. You know, the real world where real money is made, real people suffer, and real things matter. Disgusting.

Good point. There won't be a change. They won't improve the curriculum. But they still deserve the international publicity they are going to get about this and all the wildly stupid Nazi stuff they do in Thailand.

I agree but I do not see the international press agressively reporting this nonsense. Even some of our esteemed fellow posters see it as no big deal....

Ok, so this is pretty rediculous by any standards...a congratulatory banner that depicts hitler hailing right next to captain America. Sounds like a bad joke ? Does anyone know who the other characters are?

I know the main superheroes, but who are the others towards the right of the picture? Are there other "villains" on here?

I'm asking because the main thing I find offensive about this is that they've used hitlers image amongst the images of superheroes....something Hitler should never have been easily confused with. Mabey if I knew he wasn't the only "villain" on there I wouldn't feel as offended.

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Oh really? Then why not just throw in Stalin and Pol Pot in to round off the picture... "just a historical figure" REALLY?!

• Like 2

I don't think there is an actual Neo-Nazi movement in Thailand. For that, we should be happy. This kind of thing simply reflects IGNORANCE.

That appears to be correct. These scandals seem to crop up a couple of times per year, and while each time it offends some Westerners and heartens others, so far not neo-nazis have been found to have been promoting these activities.

Ok, so this is pretty rediculous by any standards...a congratulatory banner that depicts hitler hailing right next to captain America. Sounds like a bad joke Does anyone know who the other characters are?

I know the main superheroes, but who are the others towards the right of the picture? Are there other "villains" on here?

I'm asking because the main thing I find offensive about this is that they've used hitlers image amongst the images of superheroes....something Hitler should never have been easily confused with. Mabey if I knew he wasn't the only "villain" on there I wouldn't feel as offended.

i think the chick is Lara Croft: tomb raider, and the other guy looks like Bruce Willis?!

Ok, so this is pretty rediculous by any standards...a congratulatory banner that depicts hitler hailing right next to captain America. Sounds like a bad joke Does anyone know who the other characters are?

If you google images for America+hitler, you'll see dozens of images of Captain America, and hitler together.

You'll also see some interesting images that compare other real life people to Hitler.

Here is my suggestion to bring the Hitler and Nazi thing home to Thais.

Obviously teach about WW2 but ALSO teach about modern Neo-Nazism.

Make the connection of the images of Hitler and the Nazi symobols to the Neo Nazi movement today, especially in Russia.

Show videos of Russian Neo-Nazis with their Hitler and Nazi symbols brutally beating up ASIAN victims in Russia.

Connect to the Thais as Asian people.

That is my suggestion.

Yes, if (unfortunatel) the Thais experienced the joys of Nazisim first hand, they would be far less enamored with Hitler fashion.

PS- I do not wish Nazi style treatment on any one

• Like 1

I had three things go through my mind when I read the article

1I feel it is an insult to the American hero's even if they are made up. That is no reason to bunch them in with a man of infamy.

2 I was happy to see that Thai Visa was using some one besides the Nation.

3 I do not believe in swearing on this forum all though I have said some words omitting a letter. It pains me to read the article and see that it is approved on Thai Visa.sad.png

Please don't get me wrong I am not a prude. I will swear the same as a lot of other people. Only there is some thing inside me that stops me from doing it in front of Women or Children.wai.gif

• Like 1

If you google images for America+hitler, you'll see dozens of images of Captain America, and hitler together.

You'll also see some interesting images that compare other real life people to Hitler.

yeah ok...but it then begs the question of why would someone ever key-in "America + Hitler", unless of course they were doing some kind of historical research.

Anybody see the rubber ducky with shades on in the far right corner? Wonder what subversive message that is sending? There's also some kind of funky ghost. Looks like just a random sophomoric collective of super heroes and Hitler + ducky + ghost. Meaningless. For some bizarre reason, the image of Hitler has captured the imagination of Thais, without any thought or knowledge as to who he was. It is ignorant and non-malicious. I suppose even if you told many of the Thais who think Hitler is "cute" the magnitude of his deeds and his place in world history, you might just get a shrug. It's just not relevant to them.

History education in Thai schools? Let's hear from the teachers out there, but it seems to be almost non-existent insofar as history outside Thailand. There are lots of reasons for that and they have been debated on this forum before.

• Like 1

yeah ok...but it then begs the question of why would someone ever key-in "America + Hitler", unless of course they were doing some kind of historical research.

You'll get the same stuff if you search Superhero.