Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

whats disturbing is that most of the images on the poster are mostly fictitious "super hero" types that send something of a positive theme.... then there is hitler...

what you can extrapolate then is that hitler is like a fantasy character to them...a legend of some kind..so weird

It's like the IQ test: Which of these things doesn't fit the category?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is supposedly one of the top universities in Thailand. And next to Captain America too!

How sad...

In the old comics Hitler was one of Capt. America main enemies - I can see the connection.

1-Captainamerica1.jpg

Thais think Hitler is cool. They think Nazi colors and uniforms are cool. It's clear that Thai parents and teachers are not equipped to educate children on the history of Hitler and Nazism, extermination of people, hate, and World War. Thais couldn't care less about doing something offensive to others as long as it doesn't step on any Thai toes. They're thumbing it to the world.

• Like 1

This is going to be hard for the "Swastikas are Buddhist meme" apologists as there is NO swastika in this one.

Also, this Hitler doesn't look at all like Charlie Chaplin, so forget that excuse too.

I think this is actually a seriously offensive thing, coming from a so called elite educational institution in Thailand.

Would it be so hard to teach about Hitler and Nazism?

Would it be so hard to teach that Neo-Nazis today in Russia are targeting Asian people racially for violence and killings?

To those who say we're meddling westerners, I say, Thailand wake up to reality, it could use some meddling with its continuing shameful flirting with Hitler. Nazis and Hitler aren't heroes. Neo Nazi movements still exist today and they are something to be fought against, not propped up as something cool or a fashion statement.

Hitler in the '30s.

Pol Pot in the '60s and '70s.

And we still have this in any country after so many years and decades' time to learn from our mistakes.

And you are now telling me that our best schools are not learning us?

What the Fk is going on?

I gave up long ago, sorry.

Am I worse for it? No, just pragmatic, more than par-boiled, and sure that the situation is hopeless in terms of protecting the world from another devastating extermination.

Why do they not teach from the most vivid and traumatizing books available to show for real what truly happened in places like NanJing. too?

There is some differences between Pol Pot Crimes, Baking of Jews in Ovens, and Turning The Yangtze River flowing past NanKing Red with the Blood of Bayonetted Babies.

But it is always the dehumanization of the Chinese, the Cambodians, the Jews and Gypsies which was a major constant and component in all cases of crimes against humanity.

There is a genetic component to our being able to commit these crimes, while we also look on, while we commit them.

Your romanticism and your thinking that Man will ever change is not based on any accurate analysis of observations of human history. Is it?

Sorry, I know you are a guarded optimist.

Sorry again, if my realistic view is based on reality, repeating history, logic and justified cynicism.

How long shall it be before another despot turns up the heat to Broil again in those concrete bunkers with shower heads built for Jews?

I have read too much of the truth.

And you, I know, have read the poem of Babi Yar.

But have you listened to the opera?

Shostakovitch is the name, truth his game.

The Poet too should be heard.

Shostakovich 13th symphony (part-1/7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQccC7ATJbE

And should be heard at every school in Thailand.

Period.

whistling.gif Oh come on, they are just having you on.

Faring think to much.

No they're not. Whoever did that and whoever didn't realize it was objectionable was IGNORANT. They have shamed their school in the eyes of the world, and also shamed Thailand as that is an elite school of the country ... except for Nazi lovers.

Seriously, how are Nazis and Hitler covered in the TEACHING there?

Again with wondering about Education in Thailand?

I Tell Ya JingJingThing.

It's Got to be Vivid and Ugly and Real

Its got to be Babi Yar or the highway.

You MUST teach the UGLINESS OF MAN

Before Man can redeem himself.

Actually, the truth is this, that there are some of us who can see the truth and do know that what is right for us is protecting the welfare of our brothers, and helping our fellows.

But you do not imagine that there will not still be a few who can ALWAYS turn the good sheep over the cliff?

(And, if the sheep don't jump over, it is easier to fck them in the asz, as every good but lonely shephard knows. Scrwing Sheep, Gassing Jews. Man is Man Weird! And ever more debased the longer he walks the Earth. Screwing Shp backing up at the cliff's edge?)

I rest my case.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Really, condemning the celebration of genocide is a western value? News to me. Hitler and Mao are both examples of people whose genocidal lunacy should never be forgotten. Hitler industrialised genocide and celebration of his evil must be opposed every time it happens.

Perhaps the Thai elite should look to their neighbors for examples of what happens when the educated class ignore common sense - Pol Pot accomplished the Cambodian genocide by bringing his uneducated country boy soldiers into the city and literally displaced and exterminated the educated class - Indonesia did the same to the communists - Myamar has done a good job of silencing opposition. Thailand is surrounded by examples of extremism and even though these massacres are history - they are not ancient history - the social inequalities that cause these infections (and ignite these sort of inhuman responses) still fester.... and as they say about earthquake occurances; the question is not "if"? The question is "when"?

Ok. So Thais all got bent out shape about Buddha images on toilets somewhere in Europe a couple of months back. This Hitler thing has been in the press several time about supposedly ignorant Thais parading around in Nazi uniforms. So tit for tat. Let every toilet around the world be adorned with a Buddha image until the Thais educate their own about Hitler and the rest of the world about Buddha. That seems fair to me.

This is Thailand. Doesn't matter.

Yeah right, nobody takes this nation serious, they even don't take themselves serious, they know nothing and make a point of nothing.

Consume and vegetate, is all we have to do.

Brilliant assessment !

Reminds me of the old joke about a flea with a hardon floating on his back down river screaming..... raise the drawbridge! ..... raise the drawbridge!

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

On the world stage of killing people, Hitler was a piker compared to Chairman Mao. Hitler killed perhaps 5 million people, depending on the figures you use. Chairman Mao killed close to 60 million people. The continued usage of Hitler by " educated" Thai students either points to their lack of education, or their liking of taking the piss out of people, not really sure... :-)

I have met several Thais (note correct plural) studying at Universities in Glasgow and Edinburgh. I am dumbfounded by their complete lack of knowledge pf history and geography. Hitler and Nazi Germany are only names to them. Also, Thais love a uniform and Nazi Germany had a lot of spectacular ones.

Corrected version.

On the world stage of killing people, Hitler was a piker compared to Chairman Mao. Hitler killed perhaps 5 million people, depending on the figures you use. Chairman Mao killed close to 60 million people. The continued usage of Hitler by " educated" Thai students either points to their lack of education, or their liking of taking the piss out of people, not really sure... :-)

The topic is Hitler related.

I really think your Hitler killing numbers are WAY OFF.

They are actually much higher than 5 million.

The actual number we'll never know, but it was certainly quite a lot.

An older source, pretty standard numbers (11 million including 6 million Jews):

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/NonJewishVictims.html

A newer source, potentially much higher numbers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sunday-review/the-holocaust-just-got-more-shocking.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

The lead editors on the project, Geoffrey Megargee and Martin Dean, estimate that 15 million to 20 million people died or were imprisoned in the sites that they have identified as part of a multivolume encyclopedia. (The Holocaust museum has published the first two, with five more planned by 2025.)
Edited by Jingthing

The topic is Hitler related.

I really think your Hitler related death numbers are WAY OFF.

They are actually much higher than 5 million.

The actual number we'll never know, but it was certainly quite a lot.

An older source, pretty standard numbers:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/NonJewishVictims.html

A newer source, potentially much higher numbers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sunday-review/the-holocaust-just-got-more-shocking.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

The lead editors on the project, Geoffrey Megargee and Martin Dean, estimate that 15 million to 20 million people died or were imprisoned in the sites that they have identified as part of a multivolume encyclopedia. (The Holocaust museum has published the first two, with five more planned by 2025.)

You are correct I think.

His Hitler numbers are two low.

And his Mao numbers are a bit too high.

For Mao, it is somewhere in the 30 to 50 million range.

But after 30 million, who's counting?

(For the Hitler number killed estimate, I would bet 11 million. (That is, if you count every last one shipped to the ovens in cattle cars, crammed and packed in without inches of room to breath, standing in the hot sun shunted through rail yards, and dying as they stood for days, unable to sit or lie down.))

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

Why not? Is anyone really offended?

Hitler was a genocidal maniac and should not be so casually included in a graduation mural.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps the students are bit smarter than you give them credit for and included it so they could get some free publicity and marvel at everyone getting upset about it.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Very strange Thai university students would put a picture of Hitler among superheros when Hitler would think of Thais being no better than monkeys.

• Like 1

This case is not some cheap trick by a small vendor of fried chicken&chips. Chula is one of the highest ranking Universities in Thailand. The Graduates are not qualifying for 'TIT', 'Uneducated' or 'forget and forgive' type excuses.

Shame on Thailand! Shame on Thai 'Elite' ! Because this University is their stronghold. Thailand is the Nazi Germany of the East.

That was my first impression 7 years back. Than I used the above excuses. The first impression is rather instinctive and it proves to be right...

Now is the time for Apologists of All Things Thai to have their say bah.gif

• Like 1

The dumbing down is working just as planned and those in charge will continue on course...

-_-

Go visit any government school if you disagree with my post.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hitler was a genocidal maniac and should not be so casually included in a graduation mural.

Perhaps the students are bit smarter than you give them credit for and included it so they could get some free publicity and marvel at everyone getting upset about it.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Very strange Thai university students would put a picture of Hitler among superheros when Hitler would think of Thais being no better than monkeys.

Monkeys?

Why?

Because they are Asian and not "Aryan"?

You do realize that Germany and Japan were quite aligned, I suppose.

During that 2nd World War?

As Jingthing correctly stated this is not only extremely offensive (and I'm not one to get easily offended) but also clearly shows the unbelieveable ignorance and lack of sensitivity of these students AND their mentors. Are they not aware that if Hitler had had his way a lot of Asians would either be dead or in a lot worse state than they are in now. WAKE UP!!

This incident cannot be compared with cheap publicity trick by an uneducated vendor of fried chicken&chips.

Chula University is one of the top uni's in Thailand. It is the stronghold of Thai upper middle class.

Its Graduates simply do not qualify for "uneducated", "forget and forgive" or "TIT" excuses.

Nazis of the Asia - this is their proper name.

Shame on Thai Government!

Shame on Thai Education System!

Shame on Thailand!

• Like 1

I just spoke with the office of the Vice President for Administration for the university......

Excellent, Simple1. Good on you!

That would be a good idea for any and ALL of you who are bothered by this. Posting your views here is fine, but... ? What good does it really do...? If you want to at least try to have an influence on this . . . Pick up a phone. Or, have a local friend, family member, etc... , who speaks Thai call. IF the University receives no heat - nothing will change, that is for sure.

Ignorance is not bliss... It is dangerous.

You will have more success teaching monkey how to speak than influencing a Thai.

Hitler promotion has been explained to Thai's numerous times on all different levels including diplomatic and they simply either do not comprehend or just do not care.

You're probably right. Lip service if you're lucky.

Well it's a dam_n site better to at least try, than just posting on this forum that will influence no one at the Uni. This incident is one of the rare times that we as foreigners have an opportunity to position our concerns with a Thai institution. If you are so concerned you could obtain the email addresses or call a few executives at the Uni and politely outline your issue/s and ask what action, if any, will be taken. Perhaps you could start with the Uni's Communications Manager who has been alerted as to the perceived inappropriateness of including Hitler in the mural. Over to you...

Edited by simple1

What bothers me is that these are University students. When I was in High School, I, along with a few other students, went through a sort of Hitler stage. We were in our very early teens and really didn't have any idea what he or WWII were all about. A few of our fathers, who had fought in WWII, set us straight.

It was more a rebellious stage. Certainly by the time I was in University, most students were well beyond that.

Is this about Hitler? Is it about immaturity? Is it about ignorance?

Ok. So Thais all got bent out shape about Buddha images on toilets somewhere in Europe a couple of months back. This Hitler thing has been in the press several time about supposedly ignorant Thais parading around in Nazi uniforms. So tit for tat. Let every toilet around the world be adorned with a Buddha image until the Thais educate their own about Hitler and the rest of the world about Buddha. That seems fair to me.

Bad Businessman you are. Buddha has nothing to do with Nazism, Buddha has nothing to do with Thai schoolies in Uniforms, Buddha has nothing to do with fried chicken and Buddha has nothing to do with Choola Graduates.

When facing ugly things in life many people choose a 'softer' target to punish. Call me an extremist, but I think a good shootout between the rival groups with a few dead and wounded would be much more 'educational'.

But than, I am neither a good Christian nor a Buddhist.

Nothing to do with values; all to do with ignorance and hubris

And trust me....when western universities with links to chula put up a stink western values and western money WILL work herewink.png

Nothing to do with values; all to do with ignorance and hubris

And trust me....when western universities with links to chula put up a stink western values and western money WILL work herewink.png

Note to Thailand Tourism: send out a directive telling all Thai students and teachers that they are causing loss of face to Thailand which, from other reading can cause them to be taken to court. Additionally, they cause loss of Thailand earning income from tourists who are aware of the negative history of Hitler, the Nazi movement and the genocide.

Monkeys?

Why?

Because they are Asian and not "Aryan"?

You do realize that Germany and Japan were quite aligned, I suppose.

During that 2nd World War?

Perhaps just in this small issue Hitler was not far from the mark?

-They are fascinated by smart looking uniforms, no matter what is behind them;

-They are ignorant despite best education received;

-They have no capacity for critical thinking despite best education received;

-Their time, their Idols, their culture, their customs are locked in stone for millenia;

-They never will pay any attention to anything outside their own pack;

Hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing - the epitome of the Proverbial Monkey.

I can't stop thinking of R. Kipling and Bandar Log.

Phew,... hate even to think on this small issue like Adolph,... but then I've missed a Degree at Chula... tongue.png

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

I for one am offended
  • Like 2

Yes the Germans and Japanese were allies- of necessity. The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.

Had the Germans and Japanese emerged as victors, I doubt that they would have peacefully coexisted in fraternal brotherly love. Hitler making nice with non Arayans? OK, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale whistling.gif

More like Genocide Part 2.01

The Chula graduates were wrong to include Hitler in their mural. Decency requires them to apologize. Ask the people who lost family members to the evil reigns of Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot if they think genocidal "fashion" is acceptable...

• Like 2