Shooting champ Chakkrit facing attempted murder and assault charges after domestic dispute

Lite Beer

Shooting champ Chakkrit facing attempted murder and assault charges after domestic dispute 'with shot fired'
The Nation on Sunday

30210361-01_big.jpg
Former national shooting star Chakkrit Panitphatikam talks to journalists after surrendering to police yesterday following an alleged domestic dispute.

BANGKOK: -- Police yesterday took former national shooting star Chakkrit Panitphatikam into custody after his mother Boonkid and wife Nithawadi Phucharoenyos accused him of assault and domestic violence.

However, Chakkrit, while admitting he shot a gun inside a house, said he never thought of killing or harming his wife and child - as accused.

Police earlier convinced Chakkrit to surrender at a friend's house in Pattanakarn Soi 13 and took him to Min Buri police station.

Min Buri superintendent Col Saravuth Jindakham said that, after interviewing injured people and witnesses, police got an arrest warrant yesterday for a charge of attempted murder, assault, plus having a gun and ammunition in possession without permission and domestic violence.

After police informed him of the charges, he was due to be taken for a drug test at the Police General Hospital.

Meanwhile, police objected to him being given bail on grounds that he may seek to intimidate witnesses. Police will apply today for court permission for his first period of detention.

Boonkid and Nithawadi told a press conference that Chakkrit had hurt them. They were accompanied by Social Development and Human Security Minister Pavena Hongsakul, who said she would take the women and family members to apply today for a Justice Ministry witness protection programme.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-14

Considerin how bad is aim is, he probably became shooting champ by paying off the judges. Well, if he has practice paying off the judges he will probably get off for shooting his wife. They will find some obscure law saying it is alright to use ones spouse for target practice while training for competition. TIT wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 2

the most important detail is overlooked by us, not the police...a drug test

yesterday i followed the Thai coverage of this drama and repeatedly there were fears of a " drug crazed attack " by this man.

He is accused by his own family to be a notorious drug addict,

I see as there was a press conference opportunity the unbelievable situation arises where the Social Development and Human Security Minister Pavena Hongsaku gets involved in a case of domestic violence. A Minister getting involved !! Amazing Thailand.

I see as there was a press conference opportunity the unbelievable situation arises where the Social Development and Human Security Minister Pavena Hongsaku gets involved in a case of domestic violence. A Minister getting involved !! Amazing Thailand.

Just to get things straight, Khun Pavena is the founder of "Pavena Foundation", who has a very good reputation for helping women and children, who are victims of domestic violence. Being doing a very lowprofile and good job for years, long time before she became a minister in the latest reshuffle.

Credit where credit is due!clap2.gif

Instead of looking for the negative angle, I draw your attention to the background of the minister. Before she was minister she was actively involved in such cases and her involvement comes at the behest of the families and victims. Domestic violence is high on the lady's agenda, and in Thailand, famous and wealthy people often get a pass on these cases. She's demonstrating that domestic violence will not be ignored. Would you rather the status quo?

Just to get things straight, Khun Pavena is the founder of "Pavena Foundation", who has a very good reputation for helping women and children, who are victims of domestic violence. Being doing a very lowprofile and good job for years, long time before she became a minister in the latest reshuffle.

Isn't this the woman who staged a series of attention grabbing stunts while campaigning during an election,. She went into the river in a staged accident and one of her associates was drowned. Or was that somebody else? Didn't she also do a conducted tour of Soi 6 in Pattaya, afterwards stating that there was no prostitutionin Pattaya? Is my memory playing tricks. I have always thought of her as an ambulance chaser always seeking photos opportunities, but maybe being in the forefront of a media circus is her way of bringing into the public eye a lamentable situation. I don't doubt that she is not all BS and that she in fact has helped many desperate wommen and children.

Edited by Bagwan

Instead of looking for the negative angle, I draw your attention to the background of the minister. Before she was minister she was actively involved in such cases and her involvement comes at the behest of the families and victims. Domestic violence is high on the lady's agenda, and in Thailand, famous and wealthy people often get a pass on these cases. She's demonstrating that domestic violence will not be ignored. Would you rather the status quo?

Your right of course but would this have happened if this wasn't a high profile case? I suppose she might be adding her weight to stop him using his high status to avoid punishment as is so often the case here. What happened to that senator who shot someone in a restaurant with an Uzi?

There are so many aspects to this case that it's difficult to be sure what's going on.

She's also the one lately who's been on the "mother sells her teen daughter into prostitution" weekly rescue as well as the "unsuspecting Thai massage workers forced into prostitution in some bad foreign country and then rescued back to Thailand" kick. Usually those things aren't quite as black and white/good vs. evil as they're portrayed in the media.

Nonetheless, if she turns her crusade into a serious effort by her ministry and not just a PR campaign, and actually deals seriously with the hi-so and influentials who engage in this kinds of things (and not just the dregs), then she'll certainly be a standout among the current crop of government never-do-wells.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, police objected to him being given bail on grounds that he may seek to intimidate witnesses. Police will apply today for court permission for his first period of detention.

I think the sentence should fit the crime, he should be remanded to the police so that he can take his place beside Chalerms son as an instructor.

Clearly he is a pi$$ poor shot and begs the question as to how he achieved the title 'shooting champ' when the charge is attempted murder.

When he is on the range I suppose it would read Chakkrit attempted to hit the target. passifier.gif

Nowhere in that story does it suggest he attempted to use the gun on his wife and child. Some people seem unable to read simple English.

(And no, that's not justifying any domestic violence that happened, simply that it didn't involve him shooting at his wife and child)

• Like 2

Nowhere in that story does it suggest he attempted to use the gun on his wife and child. Some people seem unable to read simple English.

(And no, that's not justifying any domestic violence that happened, simply that it didn't involve him shooting at his wife and child)

Quite right pete. If the "attempted murder" charge is based upon a random shot, then it is a bit of a stretch. In reality, the fact that he is a shooting champ would be a good defence, as one would assume that he had more ability to hit an intended target (ie, wife) than the average guy.

Typical example of how an athletes fame adds to an inflated ego leading to a wild lifestyle and eventually drugs.

Most famous boxers in this country burn all their earnings on booze, girls and partying to end up losing their families and dying penniless. Jakkrit was well known to have a temper and got into alot of conflicts with the Thai Shooting Association even once refusing to shoot for the National Team if they didn't agree to his terms.

Its sad to see how bad life decisions can destroy the most important thing we can ever have, unconditional love from our family.

Shooting champ fires and his intended victims are still alive, hmm.

Exactly! If he had wanted them dead they would be!

Wow. Re you guys for real? Let's deal with the facts as reported from multiple sources;

1. The mother of the accused along with the spouse are involved.

Do you not think that if the mother is acting to protecting the wife and child that there is indeed a problem? In Thailand, mothers will go to great lengths to cover for the transgressions of their sons. In this case, where a mother, knowing full well the public "shame" to the family such an intervention brings, appears to have come down on the side of trying to do the right thing.

2. Chakkrit has admitted to discharging the firearm in the home.

Do you think that it is normal and responsible behaviour to discharge a firearm in a residential dwelling? Is it prudent to have a loaded firearm around children? I doubt the accused was simply cleaning his weapon and it went off.

The fact that no one was injured by the bullet means nothing. One doesn't know the circumstances under which the firearm was discharged. Was Chakkrit menacing the family, was he under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time, was there a struggle, did Boonkrit actually put herself in between Chakkrit and the wife to prevent him shooting the wife (as was reported by one media source, but not yet substantiated)?

3. The police have charged Chakkrit with having a firearm and ammunition without the required permission.

Are you saying that the police should not enforce the law in respect to firearms, particularly when there is a past history that suggests the accused should not have a firearm?

4. This is reportedly not the first time there has been an incident at the Chakkrit home.

5. In respect to the drug dependency allegations made by the mother and the wife, Chakkrit was taken for drug testing. The results have not been made public.

6. It is normal and the recommended public safety practice that when there is an allegation of domestic violence, especially involving a firearm, that the accused be removed from the home, and that the accused be disarmed.

7. If the weapon was discharged at or in close proximity of the victim, then yes, a charge of assault and even attempted murder is to be expected. In order to obtain the arrest warrant, the police had to show the prosecutor there was evidence to support the charges.

Let me make it even clearer: We do not discharge firearms in residences, especially when children are present, and we do not point firearms in a threatening manner at people. This is unacceptable behaviour. It is also a criminal act in Thailand, and most other civilised countries.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

The usual nonsense posts by I know nothing brigade. This guy lives two house down from a friend of mine, he is a nasty piece of work threating the security guards at the Mo Ban for letting people into visit residents, threating other residents. Evidently he tasered his wife and held a gun to his mothers head and went after his daughter this reported by neighbors

Isn't this the woman who staged a series of attention grabbing stunts while campaigning during an election,. She went into the river in a staged accident and one of her associates was drowned. Or was that somebody else?

Someone else.

It's reported the poor man had to be taken to hospital by police and be medicated for stress.

If the proposed drugs test wasn't done first then there will be a positive result and a potential defence for him about drug use unless the lab detects everything but TIT.

Isn't this the woman who staged a series of attention grabbing stunts while campaigning during an election,. She went into the river in a staged accident and one of her associates was drowned. Or was that somebody else?

Someone else.

It was Leena Jung, a former candidate for governor of Bangkok and the current owner of HotTV satellite channel. A very different person.