Thai State Railways train derails in North, foreign tourists injured

webfact

Glad no one was killed, and I hope the injuries are not serious. They must have all been sleeping, so that's good. I'd rather fly myself. You can get cheap fares now, and I like international regulatory systems when it comes to my personal safety.

It's not only Thailand. There was a terrible train derailment in Quebec a couple of weeks ago. It was all oil tanks, and they forgot to sent the brakes, so it slid down an incline on its own and crashed. Fifty people died. Also a bad derailment in France.

That's right there were 6 killed, 8 critically injured and 50 others, in a First World First country accident. That was the one in France.

One in Australia in May, fortunately killing no one.

The derailment in Quebec wiped out the whole town centre on June 6

All first world countries fellas!!!

Thai bashers and experts at everything please note

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, seriously, enough of this bashing the Thai Railways. I am surprised how well it does work. For short journeys, it is pretty good. For longer distances, it is nice to have a sleeper. I don't mind that they are slow. That is what keeps them from having so many accidents.

Look, cars, planes, boats and buses all have accidents all the time. There have been a few mini-van accidents in the last month or two. In general, the train is pretty safe.

Are there things they could do to make it better? OF <deleted> COURSE.......but, compared to countries of similar levels of development, the Thai system is pretty good and rates are more than fair.

Now, as for high speed rail....yeah, agreed, that is an entirely different animal and I am not sure I would take the first ride on that thing when it comes out.

Edited by dao16

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Posting your opinion is not obligatory, if you'd think so.

Send from my Asus FONEPAD

Surely, it is possible to love Thailand but still to want the railways and roads to be safer .

• Like 1

Yes, there is a reason its mostly foreigners take the train, they have no idea how dangerous it is.

Thais just pay the extra 500B to get on a plane, save 15 hrs journey time, and reduce the chance of an accident by about 100.

Some of these foreigners have been duped into believing that the train is safer than the buses and/or they are too cheap to spend the extra 500 Baht on a flight as you say. Or perhaps they could afford flights, but think of the train as being quite "romantic" with all it's 100 year old vibe and everything. I personally drive - I'm in control and can get to Chiang Mai in about 9 hours, depending on traffic.

I think tourists take the train because it is part of the experience of visiting Thailand, part of their adventure. They have spent many hours on a plane to get here and want the experience of making their own way around the country. I rode the train from BKK to Chiangmai and it wasn't because I am a tight arse and didn't want to spend a little extra on a plane. I rode the train just so I could say I did it and experienced something else and glad I did it.

Many tourists who go to Australia ride the Ghan also from Adelaide to Darwin for the experience.

"Why does the guage on Thai railways look like they were designed by Lionel?" Hey buddy, I had a Lionel train set, and it was very solid and stable! Let's not insult Lionel.... haha. I liked the old trains in the 80's. Slow, all windows open, fans rotating. Very meditative, took days to get anywhere, good for writing postcards (remember we used to use mail). If they ever get a reactor built here, I will check the wind charts and move far, far away.

• Like 1

post-13-0-05043700-1374047388_thumb.jpg

Supprised that the rain has not been mentioned....been bucketing down up here on and off for the last few days...

I used to do some low key investigations all those years ago working with Railtract in UK and subsidence due to excessive downpours were one of the majour contributions to "unexpected road /rail movements"...situations.

Usually the locations were pinpointed well in advance and with good regular O and M could be factored in.

Actually enjoy travelling by rail and have done the likes of Basra to Baghdad,Moscow to Hook of Holland (over the Berlin Wall at night...wow) Pudong -Shanghai MAGLEV and of course Bangers to CM.

As mentioned it always goes fairly slowly and 5-6-7 hours late not unusual and looks like on this occasion it avoided a more tragic outcome..thankfully..

Its an old network..think built by the Brits/Germains almost 100 years ago as said obviously suffers from lack of maintenance.and really the whole thing needs re-planed engineered and rebuilt.

Thailand has lots of ancient monuments but that should not include for its railways systems.

Ok, seriously, enough of this bashing the Thai Railways. I am surprised how well it does work. For short journeys, it is pretty good. For longer distances, it is nice to have a sleeper. I don't mind that they are slow. That is what keeps them from having so many accidents.

Look, cars, planes, boats and buses all have accidents all the time. There have been a few mini-van accidents in the last month or two. In general, the train is pretty safe.

Are there things they could do to make it better? OF <deleted> COURSE.......but, compared to countries of similar levels of development, the Thai system is pretty good and rates are more than fair.

Now, as for high speed rail....yeah, agreed, that is an entirely different animal and I am not sure I would take the first ride on that thing when it comes out.

I have to agree more chance of being killed in a Bus or a mini van in Thailand than you do of dying in a train accident.

• Like 1

State Railway should be privatized because its unable to operate at a profit, it has a poor quality record and it needs a total upgrade of tracks, trains, and traffic system because there is a significant demand in Thailand for rail logistics(to reduce dependence on overpcied trucking costs).

And the state can't upgrade tracks, trains and traffic systems ?

It's not a question of can or can't they. They could - IF they had people qualified to do it, which they don't, and IF they actually give a damn, which they don't. Why spend a few million upgrading and improving the current rail system, when there is much more personal profit to be made by all those involved in a few hundred million or billion, baht new system that, if 10 years, if run by Thai, will be no better maintained that the current system.

Yes, there is a reason its mostly foreigners take the train, they have no idea how dangerous it is.

Thais just pay the extra 500B to get on a plane, save 15 hrs journey time, and reduce the chance of an accident by about 100.

Some of these foreigners have been duped into believing that the train is safer than the buses and/or they are too cheap to spend the extra 500 Baht on a flight as you say. Or perhaps they could afford flights, but think of the train as being quite "romantic" with all it's 100 year old vibe and everything. I personally drive - I'm in control and can get to Chiang Mai in about 9 hours, depending on traffic.

I think tourists take the train because it is part of the experience of visiting Thailand, part of their adventure. They have spent many hours on a plane to get here and want the experience of making their own way around the country. I rode the train from BKK to Chiangmai and it wasn't because I am a tight arse and didn't want to spend a little extra on a plane. I rode the train just so I could say I did it and experienced something else and glad I did it.

Many tourists who go to Australia ride the Ghan also from Adelaide to Darwin for the experience.

Yeah, I ride trains in every country that has them unless they just don't go where I want to go, which is rare. I have seen a lot of them, in 5 continents.... I just love the freedom of movement on a train, feeling the wind, hearing the tracks click, all of it. Also, trains cut through country that buses usually don't (unless you are on the proverbial "chicken" bus.)

I only take buses here when I have to. Or fly, for that matter (domestically). Train is just too much fun. And yes, safe.

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Posting your opinion is not obligatory, if you'd think so.

Send from my Asus FONEPAD

Say, did the engineer flee the scene?

LOL whistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Now just what do you have against old people?

Hope he never gets old. thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

Thing is, if you look at the pictures, new rails are already there.

Which means, uograding of that line was very near.

Parts of the network, for example the North-Eastern line are upgraded very well.

It might be possible, the new rails might be the reason for the derailment.

Terrible tragedy , surprised it didnt happen earlier when you see the state of the railways here .... I wish prompt recovery to all injured passenger.

What's tragic about a train derailment, yess a few hurt people but no deaths.

SRT Gov attributes cause to the poor state of the track but they still operate.

Maintenance etc was of course planned but for when, the 12th of Never ?

It was planned for maintenance after the first accident, so they say it now----if this happened next year same same

• Like 1

State Railway should be privatized because its unable to operate at a profit, it has a poor quality record and it needs a total upgrade of tracks, trains, and traffic system because there is a significant demand in Thailand for rail logistics(to reduce dependence on overpcied trucking costs).

And the state can't upgrade tracks, trains and traffic systems ?

It's not a question of can or can't they. They could - IF they had people qualified to do it, which they don't, and IF they actually give a dam_n, which they don't. Why spend a few million upgrading and improving the current rail system, when there is much more personal profit to be made by all those involved in a few hundred million or billion, baht new system that, if 10 years, if run by Thai, will be no better maintained that the current system.

BTS in Bangkok has been running since 2000 without much trouble kind of shoots a hole in your no one qualified, yes it could be better but does what it is supposed to do

only alcoholics and peasants 'love' these trains, theyre <deleted>!

the staff are pushy, more beer, more beer...how can i have more if i havent had 1?

the food is gross and overpriced.

the restaurant car is filled with drunk 'staff' that gamble and scream along to noisy music and flashing lights like a 12 yr olds birthday disco.

the sleepers are FILTHY, the other passengers are all scum, picking their feet and staring at you in case you might drop 5 bt in your sleep.

still rather train than plane though!

My God ! What bloody cheap charlie airlines have you been flying with ?

only alcoholics and peasants 'love' these trains, theyre <deleted>!

the staff are pushy, more beer, more beer...how can i have more if i havent had 1?

the restaurant car is filled with drunk 'staff' that gamble and scream along to noisy music and flashing lights like a 12 yr olds birthday disco.

the sleepers are FILTHY, the other passengers are all scum, picking their feet and staring at you in case you might drop 5 bt in your sleep.

Haven't seen such a total nosense post in long time. It appears you never seen a train from the inside just frustrated bashing.

Thai trainstaff are suprisingly friendly and respectable people and defenitely not pushy. They really don't care if you buy or not as they get a fixed salary, food in the restaurant is delicious, clean and value for money (but you seem to be used to 20b streetcrap). Restaurant staff are never drunk just having a good mood and they love a joke, if they pass time with card playing that's their joy and not your problem anyway. Noisy music in the restocar has been banned since a decade or so. The sleepers have normal clean sheets etc. nothing wrong with it.

Perhaps you should ask yourself if you are not too frustrated to participate on a public forum on a normal way. Keep your miserable forum pollution, please.

Suggestion: buy pink sunglasses they really can help.

• Like 2

That was always going to happen. Me and my kids have done BKK-CM several times on the train, and not once has it arrived less than 5 hrs late. And on two occassions it got nowhere near Chiang Mai. It got derailed one time and we had to wait an hour for a bus to drive us three hours to Chiang Mai up the hills.

You can see how ridiculous the "high speed rail link" plans are, when they can't even run this system. Invest for sure, but just make a train that works. We don't need high speed. We have planes for that, 30 minutes to CM, and hardly cost any more than the train.

Looking at the photos, it appears that the rail line is narrow gauge. Not too many places use this system. Surely a standard wide gauge would be safer and more comfortable for passengers.

You are right, the gauge is 100 cm.

Like in Cambodia, like in Malaysia, like in Indonesia, like in Vietnam, like in the future Laos normal line, like in Birma.

Got any idea how much a change to standard gauge would cost?

1 meter gauge brings down the max speed to about 110 km/h.

The biggest problem in Thailand and the reason for the delays is the low level of investment, the single track.

The reason for many derailments is, indeed, maintenance.......

I have travelled from Khon Kaen to Bangkok very many times.

Sometimes had some delay, a few times more than 30 minutes, and once for several hours.

The reasons for the dealy?

<Maintenance....

Yeah ,cos that worked so well in the UK didn't it?sad.png

only alcoholics and peasants 'love' these trains, theyre &lt;deleted&gt;!

oh was that you i was looking at. and no you cant have it back, i spent already it for my sin sod.

Edited by requiredinfo
  • Like 1

SRT Gov attributes cause to the poor state of the track but they still operate.

Maintenance etc was of course planned but for when, the 12th of Never ?

It was planned for maintenance after the first accident, so they say it now----if this happened next year same same

Aahh, forward planning Thai style

• Like 1

only alcoholics and peasants 'love' these trains, theyre &lt;deleted&gt;!

oh was that you i was looking at. and no you cant have it back, i spent already it on sin sod.
I can see thread going of the rails.

CCC

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

Thing is, if you look at the pictures, new rails are already there.

Which means, uograding of that line was very near.

Parts of the network, for example the North-Eastern line are upgraded very well.

It might be possible, the new rails might be the reason for the derailment.

Ah now i can see what those rail lines in the middle are for, but don't see any new concrete sleepers, hope they are not going to use the old ones. facepalm.gif