Gps Receivers

mussen

Hi, I'm just wondering what sort of Thailand (or SE Asia) mapping software is available for GPS receivers, Garmin Legend specifically. Also where to buy and what price.

Anyone have any experiences they'd care to share?

Thanks

You might want to check out Esri Thailand. They are the local importer and distributor for Garmin.

ESRI (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

http://www.esrith.com/Eindex.cfm

Headoffice & GIS Product Contact:

202 CDG House Nanglinchee Rd. Chongnonsee Yannawa Bangkok 10120 Tel.0-2678-0707 FAX 0-2678-0321-3

Garmin GPS / Tracking Solution & Survey Equipment Contact :

100/38-39 Sathorn NakornBuilding, Floor 22nd North Sathorn Road, Silom, Bangrak Bangkok 10500

Garmin GPS / Tracking Solution Tel : 02-636-8421-2 FAX : 02-266-9944

Survey Equipment Tel : 02-636-8421-2 FAX : 02-636-8420

For experiences, I bought a Magellan and was disgusted by the whole set-up of GPS maps. Mine was bought in the US, so the internal data was mainly limited to the US, with a "global basemap." That must be some kind of shorthand for cr@p.

Basically, I would have needed to spend $100 for each map, and would have needed two different maps for my needs. Making matters ever so more pleasant, when you go to upgrade your GPS unit you need to re-purchase the maps!

From what I saw, there are better garmin-compatible maps for Thailand out there than for Magellan.

There are sources available for free, cross-platform maps that won't lock you into one vendor forever, but it takes time. Lots of time.

How do you intend to use it? Driving directions, or just knowing where you are in space? If I had it to do over again, I would buy the cheapest unit available for my first try, and plan on upgrading when you outgrow it or when you know exactly what features you want and need.

I had the Explorist 500, and it was nice by the specs, but really not what I was looking for. The point-stick button broke after two months.