Vandalism Repair...

cheeryble

Hi there

I have a Phantom picked up a year or so ago as a real find.

It is about 7 years old but had only done 7000k, (now 11,000), mostly been parked in a condo basement so not even any sun.

I had it done over properly and bought nice panniers and box and got Dunlops from Japan.

Just saying this bike is in exceptional condition and sounds great.

The short is some idiot has key scratched it about a dozen places on the tank (mostly) and mudguards.

The scratches are not super deep and may be sort of repairable, but I was wondering how much it would cost to spay those three parts new. Naturally I would want a proper finish. Hey although it was the nice blue and silver design it you'll be nice to be more original (for a Phantom), maybe a plain theme like British Racing Green, or maybe even a fancy chequered multi-colour job.

What sort of money am I looking at?

2000 baht for a brand new tank(roughly) Body work is dirt cheap out here & is easier most of the time to replace plastic parts than try to have them resurrected. Chances of finding a shop that does quality auto body repair is a bit dicey in LOS.

Sorry to hear of the vandalism.

A few Thais have laughed and said not to have a nice vehicle (or anything that you are proud of sitting around) in Thailand unless you are someone powerful. It's only going to be purposefully damaged by locals.

Getting it done in one colour will be cheap enough. Probably 5k or under. Getting designs done by somebody good, you'll start to pay.

Won't it just happen again anyway? still at the same condo?

Edited by Salapoo

Some one once told me: "In Thailand, don't love your bike too much"

So true...

Isn't it sad to see a society and people that puts so much effort into trying to hurting and upseting others in order to make themselves feel good. Yet portray themselves as morally superior and happy.

Bpen kwarm Thai...

I noticed a Phantom yesterday and thought of that pic, it would almost make good cheap project bike.

Edited by Salapoo

Some one once told me: "In Thailand, don't love your bike too much"

So true...

Isn't it sad to see a society and people that puts so much effort into trying to hurting and upseting others in order to make themselves feel good. Yet portray themselves as morally superior and happy.

Bpen kwarm Thai...

Actually I am amazed at how LITTLE vandalism and petty theft goes on here, and I like the Thais a lot for it.

As all the painted sections were keyed and it was in a row of bikes in a condo....making it rather awkward to do....I can only imagine it was someone in the condo who has some imagined grudge with me. When you are on the committee there are always people who take against you.

Unfortunately I really am not sure of who it was and we are getting cameras all the way through soon, so I will just say hey 3 or 4 thou of damage during a ten year stay....cheap. My Fiat Uno Turbo was attempted stolen or actually stolen three times in two years in England, and radio thefts etc are everyday events, who needs to go back.

I thought of putting up a big reward notice at the condo or something saying someone has been caught on camera and it is being processed by the cops and fingerprints searched and seeing who ran like a rat, but hey what the hell.

Thanks for all the hints from all!

Edited by cheeryble

Vandalism isn't that common over here. Have you pissed of some farang?

Haha.

You accidently park in some Thai's 'space'... perhaps what a Thai taxi or motosai taxi rider considers his space and see what happens. Or commit some other Thai cultural quirk of (unknown) disrespect.

Like this Chinese tourist:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657429-south-african-family-attacked-in-phuket-nighttime-street/

Edited by Salapoo