bad experience with Kasikorn bank

two months ago my wife take 1,000 Baht at Kasikorn atm. Comes home and alert sms say has taken 3,000 baht. Begins the ordeal between the branch and the "customer care" phone calls (pay call). After 2 months we were told that we wanted to steal the money. 2,000 baht??!! They are too poor !!! dried without closing the account. To everyone, be careful with this bank.

Two possible reasons:

Wife keyed in 1000 Baht, 1000 Baht came out and the ATM software made a mistake booking 3000 Baht.

Wife keyed in 3000 Baht, but just 1000 Baht came out because 2000 Baht were somehow paper jam in the machine. Which happens from time to time.

Or wife keyed in 3000 Baht, 3000 Baht came out, and she just forgot that she spent 2000 Baht.

But the Kasikorn ATM print a small piece of paper with the details...does it read 1000 Baht or 3000 Baht?

I worked in a bank for 15 years and was responsible for the ATM's. Every single alleged claim of this sort was proven to be wrong and an attempt at fraud.

Paper jams are sensed - the odds are millions to 1 against.

The cash is reconciled daily, and even in Thailand they will use multiple staff to verify logs and verify cash. So even in the remote chance that the machine did have a software glitch or paper jam, the bank would have logged the error of 3,000 requested and 1,000 dispensed.

Finally - the sms is automated, no human involved. If the sms said 3,000 then that's what was requested by your wife. There is no other possibility.

Your wife must have pressed 3,000 and .........well, the rest is up to you.

ATM'S do get it wrong, but not offten, I whached a friend not getting requested amount by several hundred dollars in aust ATM on a weekend,

but at the end of the day would there not be video evidence on this transation? ask for it and problem solved.

I would agree ATMs can make errors simply because they are electro-mechanical devices made and serviced by humans. Go to this wepage to read what an ATM manufacturer says about how often ATMs make mistakes. Link. Before is a key partial quote from the link.

Mistakes usually from human error

How often does it happen? Diebold Inc., a leading maker of ATMs, based in North Canton, Ohio, does not keep records of how many mistakes its machines make, the company says. A representative there says only that mistakes are rare.

However, mistakes do happen, says James Trocme, senior director of market research and knowledge management at Diebold. While they don't know how often they happen, mistakes by the machines can usually be traced to some form of human error. Poor maintenance practices especially can lead to ATM foul-ups, Trocme says.

Although no one in the industry seems to know how often mistakes occur, they generally agree about what to do to avoid being victimized by a rogue ATM.

Bottom line is only make a KBank ATM withdrawal outside a bank branch, during bank opening hours.

That way if anything stoofs up (and it won't be you - the customer - getting free BBB),

you can go inside, hopefully it will be sorted.

I reported on TV last year how I did 2kB at a KBank ATM,

then a friend said he got dudded of 5kB outside a Pattaya branch,

so went inside to report to a teller.

The teller said that she had a similar experience - and she worked for KBank. AA

Yes, ATMs do make errors.

My stepdaugther wanted to withdraw 25000 Baht (with my VISA debit card) and got only 1000 Baht.

So she tried again and keyed in 24000 Baht.

Result: my VISA account was charged with 50000 Baht.

FORTUNATELY: the slip (printout) olf the first transaction showed, that she got only 1000 Baht.

She complained at the Bangkok Bank branch where the ATM was placed.

I complained at my (issuing) bank specifying the details from the ATM slip.

Two days later the 25000 Baht were reimbursed.

Other example: at an AEON ATM I typed in my request.

Waiting very long for something to happen (maybe more than a minute).

Almost lost hope to get my card back.

But then: a timeout message appeared, card returned and that was it.

No money, no honey.

They do make errors FULL STOP

My nightmare: power outage during transaction,

And of course in case of any irregularity: get and keep the slip (printout) ! (if any)

Edited by KhunBENQ

ATMs make mistakes all the time.

I once asked for 10,000 baht and the machine grinding like it was about to give me the money, the money trap opend and close, but alas no cash. I asked for a receipt and it said it had given me the money. Called my bank in the UK and the funds were credited to my account without question or fuss the very next day.

That was K ATM as well.

Usually no problems.

Yes, ATMs do make errors.

My stepdaugther wanted to withdraw 25000 Baht (with my VISA debit card) and got only 1000 Baht.

So she tried again and keyed in 24000 Baht.

Result: my VISA account was charged with 50000 Baht.

FORTUNATELY: the slip (printout) olf the first transaction showed, that she got only 1000 Baht.

She complained at the Bangkok Bank branch where the ATM was placed.

I complained at my (issuing) bank specifying the details from the ATM slip.

Two days later the 25000 Baht were reimbursed.

Other example: at an AEON ATM I typed in my request.

Waiting very long for something to happen (maybe more than a minute).

Almost lost hope to get my card back.

But then: a timeout message appeared, card returned and that was it.

No money, no honey.

They do make errors FULL STOP

My nightmare: power outage during transaction,

And of course in case of any irregularity: get and keep the slip (printout) ! (if any)

I'm not following this.

You say she typed in 25,000 and 24,000, only got 1,000 but they charged you 50,000 baht?

Shouldn't that be they charged you 49,000 baht (25,000 + 24,000)?

Then you say they gave you 25,000 baht back two days later, so that still leaves you 24,000 baht out of pocket doesn't it?

(50,000 charged - 25,000 refunded plus 1,000 came out of the machine).

I'm not following this.

You say she typed in 25,000 and 24,000, only got 1,000 but they charged you 50,000 baht?

Shouldn't that be they charged you 49,000 baht (25,000 + 24,000)?

Then you say they gave you 25,000 baht back two days later, so that still leaves you 24,000 baht out of pocket doesn't it?

(50,000 charged - 25,000 refunded plus 1,000 came out of the machine).

You are right, 49000 (its a couple of years ago).

She got 1000 Baht in the first try. Then she did a second attempt with 24000 Baht and got 24000 Baht.

So she had 25000 Baht in her hands and I had 49000 on the balance sheet,

Edited by KhunBENQ

i have A friend that worked at National Cash Register.I believe thats the company that started making ATM machines.We talked about that subject.He say's the way their built it can't happen.i don't know.

The ones who built the machines will always tell you like that.

I worked many years in SW and embedded systems testing and I learnt a lot of programmers/developers who meant that they deliver fault free systems. Big laughter,

Of course these ATMs are thouroughly tested, but they depend on external infrastructure (they are online wordwide like in my case. Thai ATM. German Bank) and they can by no means be 100% fault proof against power failures or electromagnetic impuls/glitches.

Kasikorn is one of the better thai banks. I don't really think they'd like to loot you for 2000 Baht. I've only good things to recommend about them with my dealings with them so far.

I agree. Kasikorn are usually excellent at dealing with customer issues.

Usually might mean 99.999% of the time, but that .001% would mean a big number given the number of transactions. 'Usually'....what does that mean in practice?

Edited by yoshiwara

ATMs make mistakes all the time.

I once asked for 10,000 baht and the machine grinding like it was about to give me the money, the money trap opend and close, but alas no cash. I asked for a receipt and it said it had given me the money. Called my bank in the UK and the funds were credited to my account without question or fuss the very next day.

That was K ATM as well.

Usually no problems.

Agree, ATMs make mistakes occasionally of the type you describe. But as mentioned by another poster that sort of error is logged and should be noticed and corrected when the money in the ATM is reconciled against the expected balance. However, this is where human error is possible and result in the error not being corrected.

But there are some errors that an ATM cannot make, such as deducting 3,000 baht and telling the system to send a SMS for that amount, if the customer has only asked for 1,000 baht. Either the OP's wife asked for and received 3,000 baht (and just remember wrong) or she asked for 3,000 baht but only received 1,000 baht due to ATM error (in which case K-Bank should have a record of the error, but may have overlooked it and do not want to go back and check again or they could have lost the ATM-logs).

Sophon

Technically, the ATM must allocate the requested amount in the first step before it can be paid out. This allocation will remain on the account until the money has been paid out. If now, for example, the power goes down, the booking can not be completed. The requested money stays reserved for this ATM for a certain time.

Your bank knows the difference between allocation and payout. And also, that a reservation from an ATM should be followed by a payout within seconds. Therefore, the bank is willing to delete the reservation, if you ask a few days later.

Strange how these ATM "mistakes" always seem to happen to female Thai lovers and relatives.

Not true. It happened to me once when, I attempted to withdraw money. After keying in the amount, the ATM said ATM error, transaction cancelled, returned the card then the machine went out of service. Didn't receive the money but my acct was debited. The bank did return money eventually.

• Like 1

From my experience using ATM cards since they first appeared on the scene, they are reliable in that you and your institution can track transactions. I've used various ATMs (Kaisikorn included) in Thailand and many countries in SE Asia, India, the Carribean, Middle East and Western Europe.

The only problems I have had we're here at home in the USA where I got a receipt and no money. The branch manager gave me the turd degree (pun) and several days later apologized when they found the money was being dispensed and falling inside between the machine and the wall?

Another time was in Pattaya when I placed my ATM card in the same pocket with a magnetized room safe key. That move ruined the magnetic stripe and taught me a lesson in avoiding such foolish behavior on my part.

Most difficulties I've had have been outside the bank with dishonest merchants using my card numbers which resulted in purchases being made in Dubai and in the US.

I know the OP was asking about Kasikorn specifically, and to that point I can say from my experience they are one of the better banks customer service wise and in maintaining their equipment/ATMs.

Thanks all for the other postings. Most enlightening, particularly the use of debit/credit cards by significant others. Be safe and stay aware of your surroundings. :)

Edited by Benmart

An sms alert and confirmed by the bank...I would be leaning more towards what the bank says. They are hardly going to rip you off for 2000.

Have two accounts with Kasikorn for the last 6 yrs and never had a problem at ATMs, paying bills on line or with payments to utility companies via Direct Debit.

Edited by Tafia