Kawasaki Ninja 300

nikster

Ah that must be why someone listed a very clean green 2013 for only 128k on
the Thai ninja250 site & it is in Chiangmai
Only 2xxx km & a deal for anyone looking for a great deal IMHO

Edited by mania

Bigger rims and tyres on a low hp bike are only for looks, they will even have negative effect on handling .This quote is from a test between a honda cbr500 and the new ninja 300.

Honda’s chassis, in the low-key spirit of the engine, asks for cool and calm. It steers quickly—or so you think—until you switch to the Ninja, which seems to anticipate your intentions, tilting rapidly on narrow, bias-ply tires, holding a line only as long as necessary, preferring to be in transition rather than equilibrium. Honda, for some inexplicable reason (styling, perhaps?), picked tires big enough for an SV650—a 120/70ZR-17 front, 160/60ZR-17 rear, happily common sizes for the tightwads among us—and they doubtlessly slow the 500’s steering.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/comparisons/122_1307_honda_cbr500r_vs_kawasaki_ninja_300/viewall.html#ixzz2bdVcUcrL

• Like 1

Bigger rims and tyres on a low hp bike are only for looks, they will even have negative effect on handling .This quote is from a test between a honda cbr500 and the new ninja 300.

+1

I have mentioned that before

One need look no further than Moto3 GP & see those 250's which

go 200-240 kph wear tires like these

Front 90/580R17 Rear 120/600R17

They want to turn & they want to accelerate

The very best place to save rotating or unsprung weight is the wheels.

Anything more than what you need is detrimental

I think one of the most easy way to make motorcyclist wake up is to start talking about wider rims and bigger tires. smile.png

Be so kind and help me thinking isn't it a fact that they give you a more stable ride?

For sure it's also fact that the smaller ones is quicker in turning, but from what i'd read on Ninjette.org many racers also love their wider rims.

At least i think it's a kind of philosophy and personally preference, or isn't it?

Larger tires affects mostly the acceleration.

From the formula F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration) the larger tires has more mass, thus for the same force, you will loose acceleration.

You will also loose torque, because the larger the diameter of the wheel the more torque you will need to move it. t = rF (torque equals radius times force)

changing to F = t/r means that more radius provides less Force, thus the bike looses HP.

Once the object (the wheel) is already moving , you will gain more inertia and top end speed as well because the relative size of the wheel is larger than the designed from the factory and speedo meter.

The losses in acceleration and torque are the trade-off for better grip and contact on the asphalt, thus better ability to brake on city roads, specially on wet roads.

I would definitely put a wider tire for city riding, but bigger rim, I;m not so sure as that involves more complicated trade-offs.

also, the CB500 is a bike designed for the city and Touring, that must explain why it has larger tires => more safety.

it's not a track/sports bike, the very high torque available from that 1:1 engine definitely compensates the wider tires.

Larger tires affects mostly the acceleration.

From the formula F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration) the larger tires has more mass, thus for the same force, you will loose acceleration.

You will also loose torque, because the larger the diameter of the wheel the more torque you will need to move it. t = rF (torque equals radius times force)

changing to F = t/r means that more radius provides less Force, thus the bike looses HP.

Once the object (the wheel) is already moving , you will gain more inertia and top end speed as well because the relative size of the wheel is larger than the designed from the factory and speedo meter.

The losses in acceleration and torque are the trade-off for better grip and contact on the asphalt, thus better ability to brake on city roads, specially on wet roads.

I would definitely put a wider tire for city riding, but bigger rim, I;m not so sure as that involves more complicated trade-offs.

Thank you very much brfsa2,

since we're talking about the Ninja 300 now and there to change the oem rear tire (size = 140/70R17) against a 160/60R17 we shouldn't forget that the 140/70R17 has a rolling circumference from 1972mm but the 160/60R17 has only 1960mm and i know it's not a big difference.

So the acceleration with the 160 tire in this case which in rolling circumference is smaller ?maybe? could be faster.

Also it's a known fact that the series 60 tires don't weigh as much as the series 70 tires.

We are talking about the Ninja 300 and the Honda CBr 500r. They are totally different bikes regardless who makes the parts. I like sport bikes, and although the Ninja has slightly less power, I would choose it over the CBR by a mile. And that power difference can be largely eliminated with a few simple mods.

I had an experience the other day against a CBR500

Mind you I am on a 2013 ninja 250 not 300

Also I have no performance mods at this time as I took my devil pipe off.

All I have is tires, suspension & air filter upgrades.

I am at a stop light about to turn onto a long freeway section.

A young Thai on a CBR500 pulls right in front of me.

Flips up his visor & looks at me in his mirror while revving his engine

obviously indicating he wants to have fun.

I smile & think could be fun as we are in the front & the highway is clear.

I don't indicate anything & have a dark shield. So he does not see me smile.

He jumps before the light goes green & gains 4 bike lengths on me immediately.

I redline 1st,2nd,3rd for each shift I am now right on his fender.

I figure he is flat out because his body language. Meaning he is flat on his tank

& his wrist in the WFO position

attachicon.gifwfo.jpg

As I wind up 4th we are in the 140's kph & I am still right on him not a problem & stuck to his

fender. I shift to 5th pop out of the draft go by now 4+ bike lengths ahead.

Wind up 5th to 153-ish kph click 6th & think ok now he will have me on top end. But I look back & have a good gap like 6 bike lengths

As I am winding up 6th I look in my mirrors & see he then takes an exit ramp.

So I have no idea & imagine if he did not take the exit he would/should eventually have passed me.

As I hear they do 170 & without the pipe I cannot. Or if I can it will take too long tongue.png

But I will say about that 500 I was not impressed. Of course could be rider but as I said

I think I can read body language & he sure looked like he was trying to squeeze everything out of it.

But I would have expected him to gap me thru all gears given the claimed hp & torque. But not so & it

was me who closed in on him in the early gears so I dont get it at all. I expected more from double the cc

+ claimed hp & torque.

Of course this is one instance & not indicative of all. but I thought it was interesting & wondered if the

guy on the 500 thought so too wink.png

Yes, it is not indicative in the slightest...

My chopper, altho not built for speed, but rather for comfort, is still a good 24.5% faster than that little crotch rocket.

Yet you would win, after i wowed not to drive so fast again, my max was 165 when i gave up, altho bike is good for 188,

and i wont do over 140 ever again, its waay too scary, in fact there's no fun after 120.

Thank you very much brfsa2,

since we're talking about the Ninja 300 now and there to change the oem rear tire (size = 140/70R17) against a 160/60R17 we shouldn't forget that the 140/70R17 has a rolling circumference from 1972mm but the 160/60R17 has only 1960mm and i know it's not a big difference.

So the acceleration with the 160 tire in this case which in rolling circumference is smaller ?maybe? could be faster.

Also it's a known fact that the series 60 tires don't weigh as much as the series 70 tires.

yeah, probably the acceleration factor might not change, still the 160 is a little heavier. should not matter that much...

I would definitely wait for both front and rear tire to be near wear off, then get a very nice matching pair, with the rear being 160.

ideally those with double composite, like the Dunlop Sportmax Q2 or Q3.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/16290/Motorcycle-Article/Dunlop-Sportmax-Q3-Motorcycle-Tire-Review.aspx

Shame that green and black colour scheme from the 250 didn't translate to the 300. I've been trying to get my GF interested in the Monster 795 but she spotted a Ninja 250 at the mall yesterday and she won't shut up about it now.

She reckons the 795 looks like an old mans bike but the 250 looks 'a real big bike'.

Hope the second gen colour schemes are better on the 300. I'll rent one as soon as they hit the rental shops as my 2008 250 has been awesome but might be time to change :)

Shame that green and black colour scheme from the 250 didn't translate to the 300.

I thought the same when i saw the new 300 green

They reversed it

On the 2013 it was green decals on black fairing

But 2014/300 is black decals on green & yeah it does not work as good.

Good news is fairings from Kawasaki are pretty cheap

Edited by mania

Shame that green and black colour scheme from the 250 didn't translate to the 300.

I thought the same when i saw the new 300 green

They reversed it

On the 2013 it was green decals on black fairing

But 2014/300 is black decals on green & yeah it does not work as good.

Good news is fairings from Kawasaki are pretty cheap

Exactly what I thought. The new green one doesn't look as good as before. The orange one looks good though.

I just found out about the Ninja 300 being available. I was intending to buy a CBR500 in January but would be interested to take a test drive of this bike down in Kui Buri not far from Hua Hin.

My only question is whether this bike is comfortable for taller riders. I'm 6'4" and fit fie on my CBR250. However, last time I sat on a Ninja 250, the foot pegs seems way to close to the exhaust that my back heel (size 13!!) was resting awkwardly on the exhaust. I don't have this issue on the CBR, so that's the only possible deal breaker for me - it just didn't seem to suit a taller rider so much.....I suppose there is only one way to find out...

• 4 weeks later...

I love it when people talk about the competition between Honda and Kawasaki, not knowing that most Kawasaki motorcycles are loaded with parts bought from a Honda company. Think Keihin fuel injection, suspension, wheels, brakes and much more.

In the motorcycle industry Honda makes the most profit from supplying other motorcycle manufacturers. Making own motorcycles seems less profitable....

Indeed. I have to laugh at all those comments related to how Honda is sloppy and brainless things like that. First of all its not true secondly if it was then it would make Kawasaki the same since they build their bikes using Honda stuff.