Thais are some of the least rude people in the world - Int'l travel site

webfact

After 30 years in hotel industry, the worst guests for me are, in no particular order: Israelis, Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Indians.

The best: Australians, Japanese, Thai, Americans (obnoxious at times but not rude), Kiwis.

hey...hey you.........yeah ..you........ are those real potatoes on your plate?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define polite? describing somebody as fat or ugly to their face whilst picking your nose, would that be polite?

Cover your mouth while using a toothpick but openly stick a finger up the nose to the knuckle.

Take shoes off before going inside but put feet up on furniture, on restaurant seats and on trains, buses and aircraft and this includes sitting cross legged with both feet up.

At home I don't spend most of my time with farmers and factory workers, and neither do I here.

You don't see that kind of attitude or behavior with the type of people I hang around with here.

I as doing a 90 day report last week and when my number was called an American jumped in front of me and said, Do you mind if I go 1st I am in a hurry, thanks buddy. Didn't even give me the option to answer with a Yes I do mind because I have things to do also. To me that was pinnacle of rudeness. Then my wife and I go to the airport plaza for lunch and who is sitting in the dining area, the rude obnoxious yank. I guess he was hungrier than us.

Every country has it's share of rude people and when they are in a place like Thailand they stand out more and represent their country. I find the Thai's to be very polite and I am yet to find a rude one.

How do you know it was a American? Did he show you his passport? It is not easy to distinguish between a Canadian and a American

After 30 years in hotel industry, the worst guests for me are, in no particular order: Israelis, Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Indians.

The best: Australians, Japanese, Thai, Americans (obnoxious at times but not rude), Kiwis.

Israelis are at the top of my rude list with Indians a close second.

I'll never forget running into an Israeli guy early one morning at a 7-11 in Pattaya. When he realized that I was American, he started berating me about USA this and USA that. I really was dumbfounded...I just wanted to buy a new toothbrush. Anyway, I didn't really respond but just kept thinking that without the USA, Israel already would be in the dustbin of history. I paid for my toothbrush and went back to the hotel while he still stood in 7-11 berating the USA to the Thai girl he was with.

Oh, BTW, I am not anti-Semitic but the hard, cold facts are that Israelis in general (esp. young ones who just finished their mandatory military service and are traveling around to try to forget the experience) are rude (and self-centered) as hell.

As for Scandinavians, I find them to be some of the nicest and hospitable people I've ever met (except for one time a Norwegian punched me for no reason at a bar...his friends promptly pulled him aside and apologized to me and said he was way too drunk). I have very good Norwegian and Swedish friends and consider them to be like family.

The Israeli you encountered in this situation is certainly an idiot if he doesn't realize that the USA is the ONLY ally Israel has in the world, Perhaps that fact is an ongoing frustration for young Israelis who may feel cheated by past generations who have set them up to belong to a country that is thought to be a dangerous rogue state, rather than a friendly, cooperative and globally accepted country, It may be "bite the hand that feeds it" syndrome. There are people who strangely have this tendency.

I think rudeness is too subjective and too culturally influenced for anybody to start making lists of who's who in the world of rude. However, I would suggest that Thais are the most inconsiderate people in the world and have some of the most awful cultural traits, like never fighting their own battles, but always making sure that it a sneaky 5 or 6 on 1 situation instead or always fleeing the scene of an accident without any consideration for the victims. Unfortunately, these are accepted norms for Thai culture, so to Thais, these things we see as awful behavior is just normal and accepted behavior.

I would have ranked the rudest as 1) Russians 2) British 3) Germans 4) Indians. I never see enough of the French to get a gauge as to their behavior--I do know that they, along with the Russians, have a problem with 7-11s in Pattaya. (Middle Eastern nationalities belong to a ranking system entirely their own and uncomparable with the rest of the world.)

Most well behaved? 1) Canadians 2) Americans 3) Dutch 4) Japanese--at least in Hawaii, where they just sort of buy things and melt into the background.

French, like some Americans, more arrogant than rude. Rude:People; Try and keep your place ina any line against these... Chinese, Russians, Indians, Arabs (which one-one mentioned)

I am a 54yo Australian man who has observed the gradual rise in rudeness in Australian people (in general), I have lived in Thailand now for 17 months (I moved here 6 weeks after a 1 month holiday) on the fourth day of my one month holiday to Thailand, I decided that Thailand was the place for me to live.... the people are so friendly and so giving (even if they have very little to give). I married a wonderful 35yo Thai woman who has been a God Send to me...!
At this stage of my life, I plan to call Thailand my home for a very long time...!