letter of verification (for retirement visa)

If you apply for and are granted a one-year extension of stay based on retirement, there's no need to leave the country at all under that status.

However, should you want to leave the country at any point during the period of that extension of stay, you'd need to first obtain a re-entry permit (1,000 baht single use or 3,800 baht multiple use), or else leaving the country without one would void your extension.

Skyrider, visas and extensions of stay are different animals. Visas are issued by Thai consulates outside of Thailand, so getting one would involve traveling outside Thailand. But extensions of stay are only issued inside Thailand by Thai Immigration, so no leaving the country involved.

With some visas, you have to leave Thailand at least every 90 days, hence the border runs business. With extensions of stay, you never have to go outside Thailand, but you do have to do 90-day reporting with Thai Immigration if you're staying inside the country for 90 days or longer at a single stretch.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

You are asking about a one year extension of stay for retirement right? You will need the TM.7 form with 4x6cm current photo (which you can download/print front/back on A4 or do at front of office) and the financial paperwork and copies of your passport/visa/extensions/tm6 and then get queue number inside main room telling them what you want to do. No appointment required and they open at 0830 but close from 12-1300.

Where can I find a link for the TM.7 form? I would like to fill it out before going to Thai immigration to apply.

I would like to clarify, if I understand things correctly, I will be applying for a NON-0 extension of stay with a TM.7 form.

I will be showing bank proof from a Thai bank (KBank), that I have had 800,000 baht deposited for longer then 3 months.

* What exactly should I tell KBank that I need to get from them?

I will bring to Chaeng Wattana immigration: My passport, visa/extensions, TM6 departure card, copies of my passport, 4x6cm current photo, 800,000 baht Thai bank proof, letter from the Thai language school that I completed the course.

I do not need to bring any forms from the US Embassy, is that correct?

(Also, I am not married to a Thai, no spouse.)

You are asking about a one year extension of stay for retirement right? You will need the TM.7 form with 4x6cm current photo (which you can download/print front/back on A4 or do at front of office) and the financial paperwork and copies of your passport/visa/extensions/tm6 and then get queue number inside main room telling them what you want to do. No appointment required and they open at 0830 but close from 12-1300.

Where can I find a link for the TM.7 form? I would like to fill it out before going to Thai immigration to apply.

I would like to clarify, if I understand things correctly, I will be applying for a NON-0 extension of stay with a TM.7 form.

I will be showing bank proof from a Thai bank (KBank), that I have had 800,000 baht deposited for longer then 3 months.

* What exactly should I tell KBank that I need to get from them?

I will bring to Chaeng Wattana immigration: My passport, visa/extensions, TM6 departure card, copies of my passport, 4x6cm current photo, 800,000 baht Thai bank proof, letter from the Thai language school that I completed the course.

I do not need to bring any forms from the US Embassy, is that correct?

(Also, I am not married to a Thai, no spouse.)

TM7 can be downloaded here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

You are not extending a visa. You are extending your permit to stay and the reason is for retirement.

Bank letter to verify your balance. You also need bank book plus copies to prove money has been in bank for 60 days (90 days for next extension).

Embassy letter is not needed.

Edited by ubonjoe

TM7 form is used for every extension. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

The bank will know what to supply. They will have it in their computer.

Up to date bank book showing the same balance.

No need to visit the Embassy

As said you are not extending a Visa. You are extending your permission to stay.

TM7 form is used for every extension. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

The bank will know what to supply. They will have it in their computer.

Up to date bank book showing the same balance.

No need to visit the Embassy

Thank you so much.

This link is not working http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

It works for me. It could be your browser.

Your were right, it did not work with Mozilla, but it worked with Google Chrome.

Thanks again, and thank you too everybody that helped me with this, I really appreciate it.

P.S. I'll note, that also needed, is 1900 baht when applying.

Regarding getting a re-entry permit when applying for the extension, I'll pass on that. I'll only get a re-entry permit IF I have to leave Thailand for an emergency, otherwise, if I pay for a re-entry permit and then don't end up needing to use it, that money would be wasted.

Yes, if you don't end up leaving Thailand during the year period of your extension of stay, any 1000 baht you spent for a re-entry permit would be wasted.

On the other hand, many people do find themselves going outside Thailand, by air or by ground, at least once a year for one reason or another.

And, if someone had some kind of real emergency, it offers some peace of mind to have the re-entry permit already in hand and not have to worry with messing about getting one at the airport prior to an international departure.

But the main point of my comment was... to make it clear that extensions of stay operate differently from visas, when it comes to the holder leaving Thailand.

Yes, if you don't end up leaving Thailand during the year period of your extension of stay, any 1000 baht you spent for a re-entry permit would be wasted.

On the other hand, many people do find themselves going outside Thailand, by air or by ground, at least once a year for one reason or another.

And, if someone had some kind of real emergency, it offers some peace of mind to have the re-entry permit already in hand and not have to worry with messing about getting one at the airport prior to an international departure.

But the main point of my comment was... to make it clear that extensions of stay operate differently from visas, when it comes to the holder leaving Thailand.

Right, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't have an emergency that would make me have to fly back to the States - especially considering, that plane flight is too long!

Are 90 day reports required when in Thailand on a Non-O ?

It works for me. It could be your browser.

Your were right, it did not work with Mozilla, but it worked with Google Chrome.

Thanks again, and thank you too everybody that helped me with this, I really appreciate it.

P.S. I'll note, that also needed, is 1900 baht when applying.

Regarding getting a re-entry permit when applying for the extension, I'll pass on that. I'll only get a re-entry permit IF I have to leave Thailand for an emergency, otherwise, if I pay for a re-entry permit and then don't end up needing to use it, that money would be wasted.

Strongly advise getting at least one re-entry permit. You ma not be able to obtain one on exit and then you will haved to start the whole seasoning of money thing again.

If you have an extension of stay 90 reports are required.

If your here on a "non O" visa you will have to leave after 90 days and no report is needed.

What? I thought that a NON-O is an extension of stay, not a visa.

A person has to leave Thailand on a NON-O? How often and for how long?

SkyRider

Suggest you read this thread again starting at the beginning.

An "extension of stay" is NOT a " visa"

A "Visa" is not an extension of stay.

Important difference which needs to be understood to avoid confusion !

Yes, I was confused - so I read this thread again from the begining, and I think I understand now.

Thanks again to everybody for the info and help.

If I don't get a re-entry permit now, and something happens that would make me have to leave the country - would I be able to go back to chaeng wattana immigration to get one? How long do they take to get?

(To phrase it another way, if I don't get a re-entry permit now, the airport is not the only time and place to get one later if I have to leave the country, right?)

Copies of passport pages including your entry stamp and extension. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Copies of bank book pages to prove 2 months balance.

Copies of ALL pages of my passport? I just had copies made of the pages that had anything to do with being in Thailand since I arrived her last year. I did not copy the Thai visa from when I was here in 2011, I did not copy when I was in Vietnam, and I had a couple of Philippine visas on the same page as the Thai, that I covered up. I was thinking that only the Thai info in the passport since I have been here this year were pertinent. Was that wrong? Do I need to copy even the parts where I was in the Philippines etc...?

Copies of passport pages including your entry stamp and extension. Copy of TM6 departure card.

Copies of ALL pages of my passport?  I just had copies made of the pages that had anything to do with being in Thailand since I arrived her last year.  I did not copy the Thai visa from when I was here in 2011, I did not copy when I was in Vietnam, and I had a couple of Philippine visas on the same page as the Thai, that I covered up.  I was thinking that only the Thai info in the passport since I have been here this year were pertinent.  Was that wrong?  Do I need to copy even the parts where I was in the Philippines etc...?  

Not all. Photo page, visa that gave you the entry you extended, if more than one extension all of them and entry stamp.

Copies of ALL pages of my passport? I just had copies made of the pages that had anything to do with being in Thailand since I arrived her last year. I did not copy the Thai visa from when I was here in 2011, I did not copy when I was in Vietnam, and I had a couple of Philippine visas on the same page as the Thai, that I covered up. I was thinking that only the Thai info in the passport since I have been here this year were pertinent. Was that wrong? Do I need to copy even the parts where I was in the Philippines etc...?

Not all. Photo page, visa that gave you the entry you extended, if more than one extension all of them and entry stamp.

What is the entry stamp? Would that be on the first passport page that was used when I entered Thailand last year?

They might if you were doing another extension to attend school. But you are not doing that.

There will be no test.

I got the retirement visa. The only glitch was that although I had asked KBank for a letter, they gave me a statement and stamped it, that was not good enough. The officer had me go down to KBank in the lobby and get the letter, and she also told me to deposit 100 baht into my account, update my bankbook for todays date showing the deposit, and make a new copy of it. (Kbank let me use their copy machine for free) The entire process took about 2.5 hours, and that includes wasting almost 30 minutes in KBank.

Another needed document is a copy of proof of address: I had read that in another post, so I brought a copy of the lease I have for my room.

The officer also took my phone number, and wrote it on the documents.

If you are taking the BTS, get off at Mo Chit. If you want to save money on a cab (it was 90 baht on the way there), you can take bus 52 to Soi 7, 8 baht (not easy to find because of the lack of street signs) and at Soi 7 you can then take a free bus to immigration.

I have a map from Mo Chit to immigration downloaded, if anybody would like to get a copy of it, send me a PM.

I'd like to thank everybody here for their help, this was my first time doing this and I would not have been able to figure it out without you. Now that I know what to do, next year will be easy smile.png

Edited by SkyRider