Using dual passports for longer stay

Hi Everyone

I have dual passports UK and Australia. I was wondering what is the best way to allow me the longest stay in Thailand possible by using both passports.

I'm in the UK at the moment and can get the 60 day visa from the Thai consulate but was wondering what my best strategy would be for a long stay.

Any advice is very much appreciated

Al

I'm a dual national and recently entered Thailand on my second nationality passport, not the passport I normally used in Thailand.

The Thai immigration officer picked me up on this.

I fortunately had the receipt from the embassy where my other passport had been submitted for a visa application, otherwise I believe at the very least I'ld have been subject to a long questioning.

I certainly think they would have spotted back to .bsck visas had I been pulling that stunt

What do you mean 'picked me up' exactly? Did he say say anything directly that suggested he had proof right there that you had used another passport to enter Thailand? Or was it a raised eyebrow, a slower than normal processing that ended up with an open ended question like 'Have you been here before?' to which you honestly answered.

Admittedly immigration databases worldwide are getting more sophisticated such has been my two-passport experience in the US about five years ago. Since names, places and dates of birth are the primary identifiers, they have been taking enough pictures on entry to Thailand that I would not be surprised that they now have facial biometrics featuring in the identification process.

The reason I ask is I have been going in and out of LOS on 2 different passports for as long as I care to remember and haven't had any issues. It would be good to know if they have plugged another database into their computer (as they did in the US) so now they have positive evidence of dual-passport possession versus maybe just a hunch.

Back to the OP. Visas are issued with a 'must enter by' date that is usually within 30-days* of issuance. The OP hasn't stated if his 60-day visa issued in the UK is single or dual/multi-entry as that can make the difference between a 60-day plus the maximum extension that can be applied for in-country before they stamp a 'must leave by' date (single entry) or 90-day plus the maximum extension that can be applied for in-country before they stamp a 'must leave by' date (dual/multi-entry) if used effectively.

Regardless of having 2 passports, a visa is only applicable to the passport it is placed in. Since one cannot get a visa issued for entry over 6 months ahead, the OP would probably have to pop down to Perth** after the UK visa has been maxed out and get another (dual/multi) visa in the Australian passport, then "rinse and repeat". I think the most that the OP can expect is (roughly) around 70 to 120 days before having to leave the country and get another visa. Multiple TR visas are currently available (but not guranteed) at both Thai Consulates in Laos. I trust the OP is aware that a land border hop only gets one 15 days on re-entry whereas an exit/entry via airport gets one 30 days.

* Not sure if that is a global 'enter by' date limit; someone with fresh experience (like a recently issued visa) will advise.

** Not sure if the (Honorary?) Royal Thai Consulate General has re-opened in Perth, otherwise there's one in Brisbane I think.

I still dont see the issue here. If passports are valid whats the problem? Nothing illegal about holding dual passports

...unless you are an American.

And yes, you are not an American but between 9/11 and the financial crisis (and mostly under the guise of tracking terrorist funding or money laundering), tax authorities world wide have been granted greater access to immigration databases. To the immigration officer, the second, legal passport may be no more than an added line of information on an individuals immigration record. To the tax collector however, it could be just what he needs to prove you are in a country where taxation is due for twice as long as you claim to be.

Thanks NanL that was the kind of constructive answer i was looking for.

The UK visa gets a use by term of 3 months I think. Its for 60 days single entry, so i can extend and remain in Thailand for 90 days.

In theory am I correct in thinking I could get another 60 day visa on my other passport? and just exit and re enter using that one ?

Or perhaps get a multiple entry visa with the second passport.

Regardless of having 2 passports, a visa is only applicable to the passport it is placed in. Since one cannot get a visa issued for entry over 6 months ahead, the OP would probably have to pop down to Perth** after the UK visa has been maxed out and get another (dual/multi) visa in the Australian passport, then "rinse and repeat".

I think he can do it more easily, no need even to take the plane.

If the OP does have some relatives or friends in Perth, he can send them his passport by mail,

and his relatives/friends will apply a new visa for him. And then send him back his passport with

the new multi entry visa.

Regardless of having 2 passports, a visa is only applicable to the passport it is placed in. Since one cannot get a visa issued for entry over 6 months ahead, the OP would probably have to pop down to Perth** after the UK visa has been maxed out and get another (dual/multi) visa in the Australian passport, then "rinse and repeat".

If the OP does have some relatives or friends in Perth, he can send them his passport by mail,

and his relatives/friends will apply a new visa for him. And then send him back his passport with

Yes, but he will still need to exit Thailand on the (expiring visa) passport and re-enter on the (new visa) passport. You cannot 'activate' a visa inside the country.

Easily done with a same-day hop from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur on Lufthansa, Egypt Air or Ethiopian; turning around on the same plane. Other flights on the low-cost carriers to other destinations are also do-able but KL is best as there's no visa needed. Even can do it via Singapore if you want to pay more for a ticket and do expensive shopping!

Yes, but he will still need to exit Thailand on the (expiring visa) passport and re-enter on the (new visa) passport. You cannot 'activate' a visa inside the country.

Easily done with a same-day hop from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur on Lufthansa, Egypt Air or Ethiopian; turning around on the same plane. Other flights on the low-cost carriers to other destinations are also do-able but KL is best as there's no visa needed. Even can do it via Singapore if you want to pay more for a ticket and do expensive shopping!

Yes i know this already, but what i mean with my method, you can cross the border-at poipet- with your first passport, and re-enter

5 minutes later with your second passport (and the new multy-entry visa). No need to go to Pnom Penh or Penang,

spend there 2-3 days and just get a single visa.

To summarize: Send your 2nd passport to perth, get it back with a new visa, and activate it, at any border.

But i am very cautious, and will add i never try it myself. A friend of mine did it... and he just hold one passport!

Edited by Bender

Guesthouse works in the Middle East so the CIA undoubtedly has him coming and going. There is a file somewhere with his favorite tea and jam and a recording of every email or phone call he has ever made!

What I mean is, the CIA is reading this right now! Hi guys!

Edited by farang000999

Yes i know this already, but what i mean with my method, you can cross the border-at poipet- with your first passport, and re-enter

5 minutes later with your second passport (and the new multy-entry visa). No need to go to Pnom Penh or Penang,

spend there 2-3 days and just get a single visa.

To summarize: Send your 2nd passport to perth, get it back with a new visa, and activate it, at any border.

But i am very cautious, and will add i never try it myself. A friend of mine did it... and he just hold one passport!

My experience of passport switches at land borders indicates that the immigration official is also looking for the passport having a 'stamping out' from the country you have just left.

Admittedly this was about 20 years back at the Sungai Kolok border point. I had 2 valid UK passports and switched them when arriving from Malaysia.

Was concerned whether there would be an issue with being seen to have 2 passports, but I just had to fill in a new immigration form and hand over my other passport. I didn't try to force the issue as I have long learned that such action does not improve the situation.

It may be that I was just unlucky with having an overly officious guy on the desk that day, but never tried that again at any land border.

Guesthouse works in the Middle East so the CIA undoubtedly has him coming and going. There is a file somewhere with his favorite tea and jam and a recording of every email or phone call he has ever made!

Except GH has not worked in the ME since 2009.

Except GH has not worked in the ME since 2009.

The NSA got started way earlier than that my friend. The Patriot Act was signed in 2001.

My experience of passport switches at land borders indicates that the immigration official is also looking for the passport having a 'stamping out' from the country you have just left.

Admittedly this was about 20 years back at the Sungai Kolok border point. I had 2 valid UK passports and switched them when arriving from Malaysia.

Was concerned whether there would be an issue with being seen to have 2 passports, but I just had to fill in a new immigration form and hand over my other passport. I didn't try to force the issue as I have long learned that such action does not improve the situation.

It may be that I was just unlucky with having an overly officious guy on the desk that day, but never tried that again at any land border.

It is always weird when they look for the stamps in your passport. Doesn't it all show up on their computer where you have checked into and checked out of?

I'm a dual national and recently entered Thailand on my second nationality passport, not the passport I normally used in Thailand.

I fortunately had the receipt from the embassy where my other passport had been submitted for a visa application, otherwise I believe at the very least I'ld have been subject to a long questioning.

I certainly think they would have spotted back to .bsck visas had I been pulling that stunt

I have two passports from the same country. I switch the passports...never anyone asked something.

Doesn't Thailand take the biometrics, photo and fingerprints, of visa applicants?

Most countries do these days.

So lets just imagine, you leave thailand with your first passport,

you enter Cambodia, with your second passport, then 10 minutes later, leave and

re-enter thailand with your second passpport.

You do have in/out stamp from Poipet in your second passport.

I think the OP is quite lost, right nowtongue.png

Doesn't Thailand take the biometrics, photo and fingerprints, of visa applicants?

Most countries do these days.

Thailand supports ePassport technology, as well as facial photos at main points of entry and uses facial recognition, but not fingerprint scanning. All visa, extension and passports used history are available online for Thai immigration.

As a bit of detail fingerprints are scanned by Malaysain immigration, at least at the airports, don't know if at land border crossings.

Edited by simple1

I still dont see the issue here. If passports are valid whats the problem? Nothing illegal about holding dual passports

Visas and permissions to stay are issued to the passport holder, not to the passport. There's nothing wrong with holding two passports, but if you're using them to gain an advantage or to circumvent laws regarding lengths/conditions of stay, then I would think, at the very least, Immigrations might want to investigate why you feel it necessary to attempt to exploit this possible loophole.

Obviously there are people who use multiple passports for illegal purposes, so it would certainly raise reasonable red flags if the same name/dob/etc appeared in the computers with different passports within days of the holder exiting and re-entering the country. To ignore something like that would be careless if not foolish.

And, as always, as soon as some loophole is discovered and discussed on this forum, it won't be long before some regulation will be enacted to prevent the circumvention of the existing rules and regulations.

• Like 1

I have two UK passports (from my days when working in the shipping industry and u cud do this quite legally) .. I thought I was being smart when I planned to use the first one to cover a brief 20 day stay in Thai, then after a trip to Laos, come back in on the second, which had a 60 day Tourist visa.

No way wud they allow that ... when I tried to present the second, border immigration at Nong Khai looked for the Laos entry & exit stamps (which were in the first). When I explained and showed them both passports, they promptly cancelled the 60 day visa, and gave just a 15 day entry permit.

The explanation was that I should have used the visa up on the first entry to Thai, even if it only was for 20 days.

I cant find these "rules" publicised anywhere, but evidently that's the case with land entry's. Maybe it would have been different if I flew out and back in, but I don't know that for sure.

How would they know? As long as your passport is valid what difference does it make which one you use to enter the country?

As long as you are ok with everyone cheating the immigration system in UK and Australia I don't see why anybody should have a problem!

Just be clear to all your mates whenever they complain about illegal imigration in their countries, especially when they are at the bar drinking, that you do not agree with them and people should be able to cheat the system as long as they don't get caught.

Also, be sure to make your voice heard on this issue by writing to your own national papers and politicians to express this whenever the issue is raised.

That way you know you're not being a hypocrite or decieving your friends.

I don't see why anybody should have a problem with that.

best of luck!

• Like 1

I have the same situation with dual UK/OZ passports and obtained a one year non immigrant visa $225) in Brisbane recently on the OZ passport. I think Australians might get more options on visas though I could be wrong. I don't know if this is possible, but if you can somehow apply through the Thai embassy via the Australian embassy in London for a one year non immigrant, otherwise fly back to Australia and do it...

How would they know? As long as your passport is valid what difference does it make which one you use to enter the country?

They probably do not know. I have dual AUS/NZ passports. I have entered Thailand on either passport however if I get an extention I need to use the same passport. I tried to change passports at immigration & was told I had to leave the country then re-enter on the other passport. (I was trying to do that simply because my passport was expiring).

Some interesting comments there thanks.

From what I have read, its not illegal to use passports in this way. Airlines will ask which passport you want to travel on when checking in when presented with two.

When travelling to different parts of the world with different countries having different visa regulations and restrictions if you travel on the wrong passport it can potentially cause chaos and refusal of entry. I have never had this happen with Oz or UK passports as they are widely accepted. But for others it could easily happen.

Its a complex subject and my original question was about working the system legally.

Hi

I have just had a nightmare with duel passport. I have Nw Zealand and UK passports. I had my NZ passport stolen in Pattaya by 2 guys on a bike snatched my wallety bag.

I call the Embassy in BKK and had to go there to apply for a new one.

They do not provide you with emergency one. My application had to go to NZ to be processed for a new one.

After couple weeks I had email from New Zealand to say it was ready but they could not courier it with DHL because they did not have a service in Khon Kaen were I live with my wife. I had it sent to my home address in Auckland NZ.

I was flying out on 2nd August back to NZ for short visit. I thought my UK passport would be ok to fly out of Thailand but no they needed to see entry stamp, I showed them the police report and copy of my stolen passport, they brought every thing up on the computer. I have an APEC card which allows me 90 days without visa any time.

I came back to KHON KAEN and decided to go up to Nong Khai and over the Loa border with my UK one, they would not let me out, saying you cannot use 2 passports in Thailand.

I have to produce my new NZ passport.

So my son has posted it to my.

Crazy crazy nightmare

Kiwi Kenny

• Like 1