No More Visas By Mail From Honorary Consulates (in USA)

and hence that yellow statement, if this statement is new? This is the reason why I was wondering whether it was new.

That "must be in the US" statement on Portland's website has been there for well over a year. I remember pondering it awhile back, as the Portland website also says:

Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars.

I scratched my head on that one, wondering if Canadians could use Portland, but only if they walked across the border to mail their application, eh?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The op should have been more clear about the visa he applied for in.

Threads like these should be clarified in terms of the source of the new rule....who stated what. This is critical because often there is an official rule to issue a visa, unofficial way each consulate interprets the rule, etc. You have to be really careful about using the word "all", especially in the visa thread.

And talljohn is correct: the rules for honorary consulates state you must physically be in the usa. If you attempt to mail an application from non-us address, the application may be rejected. Because of how int'l waybills look, it is fairly obvious if the applicant is attempting to apply from overseas.

I suspect this no mail-in policy is not official, but how one or two honorary consulates volunteeringly chose to handle their process; there are valid reasons for people to apply via mail and not allowing that would make them lose a lot of business.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

I can not remember the last time I got stamped into the US. Maybe back in 90's.

There are none the passport I just retired.

I too just retired a 10 year U.S. passport, and never had any U.S. stamps in it...

I've always just assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was only OTHER countries that stamped a native's passport.

But I'm pretty sure our good friends at ICE keep that info in their computer system for each of us.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The op should have been more clear about the visa he applied for in.

Threads like these should be clarified in terms of the source of the new rule....who stated what. This is critical because often there is an official rule to issue a visa, unofficial way each consulate interprets the rule, etc. You have to be really careful about using the word "all", especially in the visa thread.

And talljohn is correct: the rules for honorary consulates state you must physically be in the usa. If you attempt to mail an application from non-us address, the application may be rejected. Because of how int'l waybills look, it is fairly obvious if the applicant is attempting to apply from overseas.

I suspect this no mail-in policy is not official, but how one or two honorary consulates volunteeringly chose to handle their process; there are valid reasons for people to apply via mail and not allowing that would make them lose a lot of business.

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

Have PMd you...

Type of visa does not matter according to the consulate that asked me to share the announcement (and I actually confirmed that particular aspect with them, though the original quote pretty much spelled it out). They also confirmed that this affected all honorary consulates in the U.S.

If they're somehow in error WRT all this, then they are. But they were about as clear about it as they could be I thought, and all I did was quote them. If it were "unofficial" or doubtful in any respect, it seems strange that they would go so far as to ask someone to actually help get the word out. If somebody's still processing by mail, well, as they say, YMMV.

• Like 1

As each entry / exit stamp has a date it is not that difficult and one would only be looking for recent dates.

If an honorary consulate is being told -- as seems part of the policy -- that they were in danger of being denied the right to issue visas if it becomes obvious that they were oblivious to where the applicant last entered but not exited a country it becomes very realistic.

I believe there is no website where a consul could easily look up which of the over 200 countries in the world put entry and/or exit stamps in US passports.

As each entry / exit stamp has a date it is not that difficult and one would only be looking for recent dates.

If an honorary consulate is being told -- as seems part of the policy -- that they were in danger of being denied the right to issue visas if it becomes obvious that they were oblivious to where the applicant last entered but not exited a country it becomes very realistic.

I believe there is no website where a consul could easily look up which of the over 200 countries in the world put entry and/or exit stamps in US passports.

Maybe not 200 but here's a start including Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore -- the most likely suspects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_of_passport_stamps_by_country

Edited by JLCrab

maestro- When I arrived back in the US last year I received a stamp at JFK with the date of arrival surrounded by an oval circle with the faint wording of homeland security so I guess that is an arrival stamp. P.S I am not sure if I will be sending my application for a triple entry tourist visa with a validity of 6 months to LA or Washington DC. I don't have a good feeling about either one. I hope I am wrong but all this uncertainty really makes proper planning more difficult and creates more stress. It is very frustrating.

Yah Think!!!!!!

From experience .As of the first week of July 2013, officially the LA office doesn't issue triples only doubles .

maestro- When I arrived back in the US last year I received a stamp at JFK with the date of arrival surrounded by an oval circle with the faint wording of homeland security so I guess that is an arrival stamp. P.S I am not sure if I will be sending my application for a triple entry tourist visa with a validity of 6 months to LA or Washington DC. I don't have a good feeling about either one. I hope I am wrong but all this uncertainty really makes proper planning more difficult and creates more stress. It is very frustrating.

I suspect too many people were sending their passports on "visa vacations" to one of the consulates while still in Thailand.

Portland is closed at the moment and will reopen on Monday. Looking at their website Just now I see this line highlighted in yellow:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application

I wonder if this is a recent addition to this web page. Doses anybody know?

Yup. As guessed!

This very much a US based discussion but although a UK passport holder I can maybe add to this. If you look on the website for Hull honorary consulate form aba page 4 (if I remember the number correctly) says the same thing.

I also need a new visa Non - O so I thought can I get one closer than UK. Sydney, Hong Kong and Dubai all had resident requirements in order to be able to apply for the visa. Looked about 4-6 weeks ago.

Alright people I have my update and the news is good! Last week I sent out my passport and documents to the Portland Honorary Consulate. I received my passport today with a beautiful triple entry tourist visa stamped inside! Who knows if they will stop this service soon or not but it would be a good idea to call or email them and ask now that their office has opened up again. I just checked the website and still no changes.

Edited by Mightycabage

I received my passport today with a beautiful triple entry tourist visa stamped inside!

Is the validity of the visa for 6 months? If so, did you specifically ask for this duration? (We've seen an example of Portland giving 3 entries, but for only a 3 month duration -- making the 3rd entry virtually worthless. Wasn't apparent whether the applicant asked for 6 months, or not...)

All this kind of an aside for most -- if Portland also stops mail-in visas. I would think MFA gave them some latitude, having been on vacation when the decree came out -- then coming back to a full mail bag of applications. We'll see.

Here's the email response I got from the Houston honorary consulate last week:

Visa applications must now be submitted in person at Honorary Consulates but are still accepted by mail at the Royal Thai Embassy or at the 3 Consulate-Generals (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles).

Regards

Sarah Andriamanana, Visa Section, Honorary Consulate-General of the Kingdom of Thailand

I received my passport today with a beautiful triple entry tourist visa stamped inside!

Is the validity of the visa for 6 months? If so, did you specifically ask for this duration? (We've seen an example of Portland giving 3 entries, but for only a 3 month duration -- making the 3rd entry virtually worthless. Wasn't apparent whether the applicant asked for 6 months, or not...)

All this kind of an aside for most -- if Portland also stops mail-in visas. I would think MFA gave them some latitude, having been on vacation when the decree came out -- then coming back to a full mail bag of applications. We'll see.

Visa applications must now be submitted in person at Honorary Consulates but are still accepted by mail at the Royal Thai Embassy or at the 3 Consulate-Generals (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles).

Regards

Sarah Andriamanana, Visa Section, Honorary Consulate-General of the Kingdom of Thailand

It says to enter before March 18, 2014. So I should be OK to do use all three entries, even if I get 30-day extensions on both of the first two.

Regards

Is there a link to the rule or decision by any thai gov't office to do this (for honorary consulates)? I'm interested to know how this conclusion was made.

The only thing this would do is make visa service companies a little richer.

Edited by 4evermaat

Regards

Is there a link to the rule or decision by any thai gov't office to do this (for honorary consulates)? I'm interested to know how this conclusion was made.

The only thing this would do is make visa service companies a little richer.

If you're looking to make some kind of rebuttal based on their "thought process", well, good luck with that.

Alright people I have my update and the news is good! Last week I sent out my passport and documents to the Portland Honorary Consulate. I received my passport today with a beautiful triple entry tourist visa stamped inside! Who knows if they will stop this service soon or not but it would be a good idea to call or email them and ask now that their office has opened up again. I just checked the website and still no changes.

Great news! Thanks for doing this and for sharing. I want the exact same visa but fly out Sep 30th. Do you all think it's worth the risk of waiting until 2nd or 3rd week of September so as to maximize the time I get in country?

Why not check with the consulate as suggested by Mightycabage before firming up your plans ?

I called a few times, did not get through, and emailed last week. What I meant really was is the 6 month window starting on date of issue or date of planned entry? If it's once issued then I ideally will wait a few weeks. But mightycabage if yours says March 18th that is 7 months from date of issue, yes?

It's six months from date of issue, not date of 1st entry. Maybe it's possible though to get more than a 6-month validity however with a special request and some sort of justification. Can't hurt to call or write them & ask. They seem to be pretty good about answering emails within a business day or so.

It says to enter before March 18, 2014. So I should be OK to do use all three entries, even if I get 30-day extensions on both of the first two.

I don't follow the timing on this.

Assuming the Honorary Consulate issued your visa in the mid-August period, a use before date of mid-March would be 7 months -- not 6.

I just received an email from Mary Wheeler at the Portland Consulate stating that they have been advised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs not to issue visas by mail. She requested that you should contact them by phone for any further info.

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense to me... whistling.gif

The MFA surely doesn't trust their honorary consulates to be issuing visas via mailed in applications.

But it apparently is just fine for actual Thai government employees at their various consulates to be stealing and selling visa stamps to various unsavory types...

So between the honorary consulates and the real consulates, where exactly does the bigger security problem exist???

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense to me... Posted Image

But it apparently is just fine for actual Thai government employees at their various consulates to be stealing and selling visa stamps to various unsavory types...

Who said it was "fine"? They have actually retrieved many of the stamps and arrests have been made. With more to come.

MFA has zero control over those honorary consulates.

Fine in the sense that...

The practice had reportedly been going on for some time, and not only at the consulate in Malaysia...but elsewhere as well -- all under the watchful eye of the MFA.

As for the arrests, just who exactly has been arrested? Last time I read, the authorities hadn't said.

Meanwhile, if the MFA has "zero control" over the honorary consulates, how is it that the MFA is issuing policy directives that the honorary consulates are bound to follow?

The point of my prior comment was, perhaps MFA ought to get their own house in order...before they start looking for probably less significant problems elsewhere.

...MFA has zero control over those honorary consulates.

I don't know the exact chain of command but I believe the honorary consuls report to the consular section of the Thai embassy in the respective countries which in turn report to the Department of Consular Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

...MFA has zero control over those honorary consulates.

I don't know the exact chain of command but I believe the honorary consuls report to the consular section of the Thai embassy in the respective countries which in turn report to the Department of Consular Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

I believe you're correct. In practical terms, though, they're mostly just local yokels who don't care who they give a visa to as long as they cough up the cash.

And now the MFA finds they have a similar stolen visa stickers problem from their own consulate in Laos...and well as another batch of 2000 missing in transit.

Mr. Nuttavudh admitted that there were 500 more visa stickers that were stolen from the Thai embassy in Lao PDR, but he could not make further comments for the moment pending a fact-finding investigation into the matter.
Regarding the disappearance of 2,000 visa stickers in a diplomatic pouch destined for the Thai embassy in The Hague, the Netherlands, Mr Nuttavudh said he was informed that diplomatic pouches occasionally went missing and were sometimes found a few weeks later since there are no direct flight between Bangkok and The Hague.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663955-mfa-to-quickly-solve-the-missing-visa-stamps;-500-stickers-disappear-from-thai-consulate-in-lao-pdr/

Clearly, there's some kind of international conspiracy going on here to make the Thai MFA look foolish, corrupt and/or incompetent.... whistling.gif

BTW, what's ever happened with the Thai embassy staffer from Cairo who got into a bar brawl with a local couple there and was subsequently summoned back to Thailand?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK