No More Visas By Mail From Honorary Consulates (in USA)

Just a heads up - this is news to me and I hadn't seen any other mention of it hereabouts. I just received the following from the Denver (Honorary) Consulate (just rcvd today):

"We just received notification that in the future any honorary consulate can no longer process visas by mail – only LA, Chicago, NY or Washington can process by mail. So, next time you will need to go thru LA. If you know of other people who get visas to go to Thailand, please pass this information along."

I don't know if this just applies to the US, or other countries as well. Denver says they're processing mine, but apparently I just got in under the wire. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK honorary consulates at Birmingham, Hull and Liverpool are similarly affected, according to a couple of other threads currently running. So it is looking increasingly likely that a worldwide crackdown on the activities of honorary consulates has been ordered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs bigwigs in tandem with their Immigration Bureau counterparts. Joined-up government Thai-style at its finest!

Honorary consulates in the UK can still be applied for by mail. What they can't issue are multiple non-immigrant visas.

Different situation. But might mean that honorary consulates are worldwide brought under stricter control.

I don't think this applies to Tourist and Education visa's.

It says nothing about not being able to mail in applications for Portland consulates except.

"(O-A (Retirement) visas can only be issued at Los Angeles, Chicago,

New York and Washington, DC)."

http://www.thai-or.com/

That's not correct. It appears to apply to ALL visas to be issued by honorary consulates in the US (my visa application was FOR a tourist visa, and their email specifically said I've have to go thru LA next time...), or at least that's what Denver is saying. What you saw in my post (earlier today) was a direct quote in their email to me. If you want to still mail in your application, you can, but it has to be to one of the Thai government consulates (LA, NYC, etc.) and not to any of the honorary ones. According to Denver, this was late-breaking news, so it'll probably take awhile before it appears on the honorary consulates' websites.

The Portland office is/was closed for a few days - I tried there first. That's why I used Denver.

If you're planning to mail your visa application to a US honorary consulate, I'd either get on it right away, or better, email or call them first to see if they'll process it.

So what's the "abuse" that's being "cracked down on"?

Not impossible that this policy change could be a simple money grab. My understanding has always been that the honorary consulate keep the fees they generate. I'm sure that the official consulates and the embassy would rather that money was in their coffers.

• Like 1

Found the post confusing or maybe just because I'm a "Newbie" still. An "Honorary Consulate"? What defines that? I have and always believed there were 4 Thai Embassies in the USA in which I chose LA to gain the 3hr time difference to my advantage in my mailing/processing (OCD thinking) for the 30-day double entry Tourist Visa (extendable to 6 months).

Perhaps there were dozens of these "Honorary Consulates" that I didn't know existed and the whole post doesn't pertain to me regardless. (Nor does it now since I use an in Thailand Visa service for an ED Visa)

Thank you

Houston has not issued O-A for many years. When I got mine in 2010 Houston directed me to DC. A bit more hassle but it got done. They were issuing Tourist visa's still back then. As usual, 'the word is subject to change' and confusion reigns.

Edited by sgtsabai

Found the post confusing or maybe just because I'm a "Newbie" still. An "Honorary Consulate"? What defines that? I have and always believed there were 4 Thai Embassies in the USA in which I chose LA to gain the 3hr time difference to my advantage in my mailing/processing (OCD thinking) for the 30-day double entry Tourist Visa (extendable to 6 months).

Perhaps there were dozens of these "Honorary Consulates" that I didn't know existed and the whole post doesn't pertain to me regardless. (Nor does it now since I use an in Thailand Visa service for an ED Visa)

Thank you

There is one Thai embassy in the USA: in Washington DC. There are three official Thai consulates: Chicago, Los Angeles, New York. There are also a number of honorary Thai consulates scattered throughout the country from Boston to Honolulu. See: http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

• Like 1

It says nothing about not being able to mail in applications for Portland consulates except.

While I'd love for you to be correct here ..... the notice from Denver consulate says nothing about any specific honorary consulates, Portland or otherwise ... and it says nothing about tourist or education visas (on any others specific type visa). So, what makes you think this notice does not apply to education and tourist visas, besides wishful thinking?

This news is a real bummer. For many years I have always gotten very fast turn-around service from the Portland consulate, and always got triple-entry visas with no hesitation or any questions asked. Meanwhile I just sent an email to the Portland consulate asking for clarification. I will post later if I find they are still issuing visas.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

Thank you

There is only the embassy in DC and the official Thai consulates in LA, NY, and Chicago which provide all services such as Thai passports and etc.

There are several honorary consulates in the US which only issue visas and notary services that only receive revenue for the services they supply.

See this list for a list: http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

• Like 1

I think you will find that the main reason for any country to maintain honorary consulates in foreign countries is to assists its citizens and legal residents for whom it may not be convenient or expedient to access the embassy or official consulates.

From Wikipedia: For example, the Embassy of Finland states that the tasks of Finland's Honorary Consulate include: monitoring the rights of Finns and foreigners permanently residing in Finland, providing advice and guidance for distressed Finnish citizens and foreigners permanently residing in Finland who are temporarily abroad, and assisting them in their contacts with local authorities or the nearest Finnish embassy or consulate.

The Honorary Consulates of Thailand in the USA have apparently only been restricted upon issuing visas by mail -- if you are actually in their geographical jurisdiction and stop into their local office, nothing seems to have changed.

If you can route through LA from BKK, they are simply the best to deal with. Take a couple days off in LA and get the visa. I even saw them give an emergency visa to someone who had a flight to catch in 2 hours out of LAX. Very reasonable people.

At my last visit to the CM immigration office the 3 stripped officer told us that the information given by the Thai consulate in Los Angeles, didn't know what they were doing. She implied there is no continuity among the consulates world wide. I wasn't surprised. We were told by the officer in LA it would be little trouble tying my wife's “O” visa to my “OA” visa so she did not have to leave the country every 90 days. I imagine the rules will change or not be implemented because Thailand wants more tourists and it takes coordination/cooperation. Besides, how can they handle the additional work load.

Edited by CIHUAHUA

While I'd love for you to be correct here ..... the notice from Denver consulate says nothing about any specific honorary consulates, Portland or otherwise ... and it says nothing about tourist or education visas (on any others specific type visa). So, what makes you think this notice does not apply to education and tourist visas, besides wishful thinking?

This news is a real bummer. For many years I have always gotten very fast turn-around service from the Portland consulate, and always got triple-entry visas with no hesitation or any questions asked. Meanwhile I just sent an email to the Portland consulate asking for clarification. I will post later if I find they are still issuing visas.

I had emailed Portland originally (last week), and got a response saying their office was closed until 19 AUG.

I would think that cutting them (honorary consulates) off from their mail-ins would put a serious dent in their business. And can't really see how it "helps tourism". Do these honorary consulates serve as such just for Thailand, or for a number of countries?

PS - I see Denver has updated their site saying they "no longer process visas by mail".

I had emailed Portland originally (last week), and got a response saying their office was closed until 19 AUG.

I would think that cutting them (honorary consulates) off from their mail-ins would put a serious dent in their business. And can't really see how it "helps tourism". Do these honorary consulates serve as such just for Thailand, or for a number of countries?

PS - I see Denver has updated their site saying they "no longer process visas by mail".

Denver stopped accepting mail applications a few years ago. I think really they do take mail applications for TV,ED but just for people in the Denver Area and have discouraged people from outside the area.

Maybe there is a change for Portland and Houston now but nothing on their website yet.

I guess we will find out... For Portland I think you would want to be near them to not raise some eyebrows. I usually send mine from Northern Nevada or Seattle. Someone from way east etc might get a different reception.

All Portland has on their website now is the below statement and still gives instructions for mailing in applications. I would email them first if you didn't live in that region.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

If you can route through LA from BKK, they are simply the best to deal with. Take a couple days off in LA and get the visa. I even saw them give an emergency visa to someone who had a flight to catch in 2 hours out of LAX. Very reasonable people.

I second this. Getting my O-A Visa from L.A. was a walk in the park. Very easy to deal with.

Last week I received a single entry Non-Immigrant O (for the purpose of retirement) visa from the Portland Honorary Consulate, by mail. Their website states that they cannot issue a Non-Immigrant O-A, that that must be obtained from an official consulate.

for those of you recommending LA and Washington, those only work in your situation. For those of us looking for Triple Entry Tourist visas this is a huge problem. Only the Honorary Consulates will issue them. The Embassy in DC and the Consulates in LA, NY, Chicago will not issue triple entries, just doubles. I walk past the NY Consulate on a regular basis but have to mail my passport to Portland to get a triple entry tourist visa.

The Honorary Consulates of Thailand in the USA have apparently only been restricted upon issuing visas by mail -- if you are actually in their geographical jurisdiction and stop into their local office, nothing seems to have changed.

That's the main point I glean from the discussion here.... If there are any changes relating to the various U.S. located honorary consulates, it's relating to their processing of visa applications submitted by mail.

Unless there's an entirely different thing going on here that's not being put forward, I'd assume anyone would still be free to travel to Houston or Portland or Denver or the others and have their paperwork processed.

Obviously, not as convenient as mail-in processing. And may well require some to made an additional domestic RT air trip. No one ever promised they were going to make these things easy or convenient. sad.png

for those of you recommending LA and Washington, those only work in your situation. For those of us looking for Triple Entry Tourist visas this is a huge problem. Only the Honorary Consulates will issue them. The Embassy in DC and the Consulates in LA, NY, Chicago will not issue triple entries, just doubles. I walk past the NY Consulate on a regular basis but have to mail my passport to Portland to get a triple entry tourist visa.

From the opening post of this topic it appears that you no longer have the option of getting a triple-entry tourist visa, or any visa at all, by mail from the Thai consulate in Portland or from any other honorary consulate in the USA.

I think that if with a letter accompanying your visa application you can demonstrate your need for a triple-entry tourist visa and satisfactorily assure the consul that you will use your three stays in Thailand exclusively for tourism and nothing else, especially not for working without a work permit, the consular section of the embassy in Washington and the consulates in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago will give you a triple-entry tourist visa.

So now I am really confused. I was planning on getting a triple-entry tourist visa because I will be staying in Chiang Mai for 4 months this winter. I am hoping to go to Cambodia as well as Laos for anywhere from a few days to a week for two different trips during my stay in Thailand. It was suggested to me on this website that the best way would be with a triple-entry tourist visa. Now, since the New York and Chicago and Washington and LA consulate offices only offer double-entry tourist visas, what do I do now if I can't get a triple-entry tourist visa from one of the honorary consulate offices? In the next year or so I am hoping to stay in Thailand for up to 6-months during the winter so I was wondering if it might be more beneficial to apply for a retirement visa. Which one is more economically feasible and would make things easier going forward in wanting to stay in Thailand for up to 6 months.?