What options are available for retiree expats needing insurance.

andreandre

After reading some of the posts on another thread, a couple of friends and i have decided that it's probably a good idea to look into some form of insurance policy.

It's probably been covered on other threads..if so a link would be appreciated,or first hand knowledge of a basic accident and illness insurance available to over 60 yo expats at a not too ridiculous cost.

For our age group it seems to be very hard to get a good cover.

Anyone have such a policy recently?

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would make a good case for a "Sticky" methinks, perhaps headlined "Expat Insurance" with recommendations and experiences posted in much the samw way as restaurant reviews.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

For sure, good idea...

..i know of a guy who swore by the ' incredible 'policy he got for a low price through his bank..come time to use it and was near worthless...

So any good tried and proven policy info would be great.

• Like 1

The subject has been raised before.

BUPA Thailand will insure older persons, but you have to start with them before a certain age (60??) and then they will allow you to renew. While they supposedly will continue to offer insurance, they get to set the rates invidually post 65, so it's likely to get expensive quickly if you actually use it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607135-health-insurance-for-long-term-abroad-for-over-60s/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/266300-thailand-health-insurance/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/311571-70-or-older-health-insurance-for-seniors/

Edited by Suradit69

As far as I know if you don't have health insurance before your 60th birthday then it's not available in Thailand. My Thai company would only insure until 65 despite me being insured with then for 15 years, so I bailed out and signed up with BUPA before my 60 birthday. Premiums are horrendous. Not sure it's worth it, might be better to save the premium cost in a bnk account and self insure. But I am too deep in the premium hole.

Accident insurance is easy enough to get at any age, try Siam Commercial Bank.

• Like 1

As far as I know if you don't have health insurance before your 60th birthday then it's not available in Thailand. My Thai company would only insure until 65 despite me being insured with then for 15 years, so I bailed out and signed up with BUPA before my 60 birthday. Premiums are horrendous. Not sure it's worth it, might be better to save the premium cost in a bnk account and self insure. But I am too deep in the premium hole.

Accident insurance is easy enough to get at any age, try Siam Commercial Bank.

Have you got a link to Bupa and their premium schedule?

I took out medical (+ includes life insurance option) at age 65 with Healthcare International (a UK company via Lloyds).

They have multiple options but I chose to pay the first US$1,000 on any event. I'm happy with that as it's peace of mind for anything major and outpatient treatment is very cheap.

• Like 1

BUPA you are looking at $431 USD per month for single male aged 57 with no prior health issues. Does not include medications at that price which are "optional" or coverage in the U.S.

i am not sure about the self insurance idea. you could be wiped out very quickly if you got very sick and were fighting for your life long term. it depends what country you come from. i guess some here could fly home and get free or almost free medical.

so what happens to you if you run up a huge bill in a hospital in Thailand and can't pay?

Not sure where you get your figures from. I paid 14,396 baht for the basic BUPA (Thailand) cover for this year (2013). I am 65 years young and receive a 10% no claims bonus about 6 months after the policy payment. The last time I checked there were 4 tiers of membership and the cost for each level was approximately double the cost of the one before. Each level provides for a higher rate for room & board, hospital services, surgery and doctor's visits. The highest level would set you back about 60 to 70K per year - still a lot less than the figure you quoted. Maybe you are talking about fees for BUPA International with whom I was with before retiring to Thailand. If you are living in the metropolitan areas like Bangkok the basic level would not be sufficient for treatment in a major hospital. Living in the 'sticks' hospital fees are much lower and I regard this insurance as my basic cover for emergency treatment and I am prepared to pay more (self-insure) to cover additional costs.

I have had private health care with BUPA Thailand and BUPA International for the past 30 years. I can not say they are good or bad for settling claims - I have only ever claimed once and that was more than 25 years ago. I hope my relatively good health continues!

BUPA you are looking at $431 USD per month for single male aged 57 with no prior health issues. Does not include medications at that price which are "optional" or coverage in the U.S.

i am not sure about the self insurance idea. you could be wiped out very quickly if you got very sick and were fighting for your life long term. it depends what country you come from. i guess some here could fly home and get free or almost free medical.

so what happens to you if you run up a huge bill in a hospital in Thailand and can't pay?

Not sure where you get your figures from. I paid 14,396 baht for the basic BUPA (Thailand) cover for this year (2013). I am 65 years young and receive a 10% no claims bonus about 6 months after the policy payment. The last time I checked there were 4 tiers of membership and the cost for each level was approximately double the cost of the one before. Each level provides for a higher rate for room & board, hospital services, surgery and doctor's visits. The highest level would set you back about 60 to 70K per year - still a lot less than the figure you quoted. Maybe you are talking about fees for BUPA International with whom I was with before retiring to Thailand. If you are living in the metropolitan areas like Bangkok the basic level would not be sufficient for treatment in a major hospital. Living in the 'sticks' hospital fees are much lower and I regard this insurance as my basic cover for emergency treatment and I am prepared to pay more (self-insure) to cover additional costs.

I have had private health care with BUPA Thailand and BUPA International for the past 30 years. I can not say they are good or bad for settling claims - I have only ever claimed once and that was more than 25 years ago. I hope my relatively good health continues!

He was taling BUPA International, not Bupa Thailand.

I took out medical (+ includes life insurance option) at age 65 with Healthcare International (a UK company via Lloyds).

They have multiple options but I chose to pay the first US$1,000 on any event. I'm happy with that as it's peace of mind for anything major and outpatient treatment is very cheap.

I just submitted a fictitious scenario into their online quote section on the website.

Around $2000US a year for an expat aged 60 to 65 years of age. That also covered $25,000US Life Insurance, should you die, to cover your funeral expenses and immediate smaller payments.

I only had a quick look, and couldn't see who underwrites them, but they seemed to have good coverage and it's a reasonable price.

Edited by NamKangMan

They stress coverage is for life if you join before age 60.

This suggests to me, that if you join after that age, they will dump you as soon as you make one significant claim.

This from their FAQ page:

1. Who is eligible to apply for cover?Almost anyone can purchase a HealthCare International medical policy. Our plans are tailored for expatriates, which is anyone who is away from their Home Country for at least six months of the policy year.

Our plans are annually renewable for whole of life; the only proviso being that you must be aged under 75 when first applying. You have to be at least 18 years of age to be the Policyholder.

• Like 2

They stress coverage is for life if you join before age 60.

This suggests to me, that if you join after that age, they will dump you as soon as you make one significant claim.

This from their FAQ page:

1. Who is eligible to apply for cover?Almost anyone can purchase a HealthCare International medical policy. Our plans are tailored for expatriates, which is anyone who is away from their Home Country for at least six months of the policy year.

Our plans are annually renewable for whole of life; the only proviso being that you must be aged under 75 when first applying. You have to be at least 18 years of age to be the Policyholder.

Thanks for that.

Another thing that concerns me are the exclusions, particularly pre-existing conditions.

For example if someone has, in the past, heart problems, arthritis, kidney or liver problems, etc., it seems you wouldn't be covered if you have the same problem again?

Can you give a link for that pagallim. Is that Bupa international or Thailand. Was clear to me that I had to sign up before 60 birthday to get life cover, if sign up after 60 then cover stops at 65.

I would presume that to be Healthcare International, so not Bupa.

Looks good on first glance.

^^

You need to look through the FAQ's on their website. Overall, it seems quite a good policy. I think their definition of pre-existing conditions are those for which treatment has been made during the previous 5 years. I think they also mention that if you have not requirement for repeat treatment for a further 2 years, then you are eligible.

Can you give a link for that pagallim. Is that Bupa international or Thailand. Was clear to me that I had to sign up before 60 birthday to get life cover, if sign up after 60 then cover stops at 65.

It's Healthcare International. This is the link that I followed, previously provided by NKM: http://www.healthcareinternational.com/home-international-insurance.php

Their 'instant quote' is straightforward, and it's also followed by an automated email to you, with slightly more information. The 'standard' cover seems pretty good, with up to $500,000 coverage, and no limits (within the $500,000 of course) for doctors and accommodation.

Edited by pagallim

It's Healthcare International. This is the link that I followed, previously provided by NKM: http://www.healthcareinternational.com/home-international-insurance.php

Their 'instant quote' is straightforward, and it's also followed by an automated email to you, with slightly more information. The 'standard' cover seems pretty good, with up to $500,000 coverage, and no limits (within the $500,000 of course) for doctors and accommodation.

They look a good option, but I can't see anywhere who underwrites them.

Does anyone know?

From the link's "Crystal" plan:

Important note:

Crystal Plan is eligible for Thai citizen only.

This plan covers the eligible medical treatment in Thailand only, not from overseas.

The medical expenses incurred from the Bumrungrad Hospital, the BNH, the Bangkok General Hospital including their networks are ineligible and are excluded for any benefit.

So no cover for farangs going to expensive hospitals... rolleyes.gif

Important note:

This plan covers the eligible medical treatment in Thailand only, not from overseas.

The medical expenses incurred from the Bumrungrad Hospital, the BNH, the Bangkok General Hospital including their networks are ineligible and are excluded for any benefit.

Farang can be covered provided they are Thai.

Important note:

That would appear to be for the Crystal Plan, but there is still Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald and Diamond plans ... or at least there was when I was with them. BUPA is accepted at BPH in Pattaya, but some of their procedures are priced above BUPA's limits (again from my experience a few years ago), so you'd have to top up the payments.

I dropped BUPA because my former employer in the US reimburses me 80% of all medical, medication, dental, optician expenses since I turned 65 rolleyes.gif. (No longer available to new hires and I'm sure they hope I stay fairly healthy but expire soon).

Edited by Suradit69

Thanks for that. I'll check them out!

Important note:

SORRY to tell you this: Just tried to get a quote from BUPA on the above link and it tells me you HAVE TO APPLY BEFORE AGE 66.

Ah well, it was a nice thought while it lasted, I'm 68 so the good people at BUPA obviously reckon I must be "at Death's Door."

• Like 1