Rediscovering Our Proper Songkran Roots

Jai Dee

Rediscovering our proper Songkran roots

A brief truce has been called in the battle between the Democrat Party and the People's Alliance for Democracy on one side and Thai Rak Thai Party head honcho Thaksin Shinawatra on the other, for the duration of the Songkran festival. Both anti- and pro-Thaksin protesters have temporarily halted their war for a while as many return to their homes upcountry to celebrate the Thai New Year.

With Thaksin off on his weeklong holiday in Europe and the United States, his absence has somewhat cooled the Kingdom's political temperature - at least for a week. However, the media are still questioning whether the ostensible main purpose of this trip - visiting his youngest daughter, Pinthongta, in London - is nothing more than a front. It is widely believed that a political agenda lurks hidden underneath: discussing Thai politics with British Prime Minister Tony Blair and American President George W Bush while sipping coffee with them.

But let us set aside hot political issues.

While the political situation seems cooler, another war is raging throughout the Kingdom at this very moment, with water the chief ammunition. Crazily pouring water (supplemented with powder, ice or even fruit seeds) has become the newest trend for celebrating Songkran. Bangkok's Khao San Road, the Kingdom's infamous backpackers' paradise, is the hottest spot for tourists and Thai youngsters alike. Men enjoy rubbing powder onto women' faces, while young girls like to show off their sexy figures by wearing skin-tight clothing. For the younger generations, nothing beats tossing water around with wild abandon and hanging out while drinking alcohol. And similar scenes can be found in all corners of the country.

Heavy promotion of this particular style of celebrating is the brainchild of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), in a bid to get more tourists to enjoy and appreciate our rich culture.

But is this our culture?

Although water is at the core of this festival, the way in which it was used in olden times was nothing like today's craziness.

The older generations and cultural experts are not happy with the current trend. Songkran is a tradition in celebration of the Thai New Year, a time for family reunions. Buddhists began the New Year properly, making merit at the temple, which used to serve as a village's community centre. Pouring a little water onto a Buddha image was a way of asking for a New Year's blessing. Constructing a sand pagoda at the temple fair would help ensure merit in the afterlife. To pay respect to their parents, children would pour water over their hands and ask for their best wishes. Then it was time for fun! But water-pouring in the past was simply to alleviate the brutally hot temperatures. Before soaking others, you had to ask their permission.

Many young people today seem totally unconcerned with the old traditions. Although living culture can change, experts believe we should preserve our traditions. National Artist Naowarat Pongphaiboon, respected culture expert Srisakdi Valibhodhama and Matichon newspaper's art and culture columnist, Niwat Kongpien, shared their ideas for preserving the real Songkran festival on Thursday night on Channel 9's "Krong Sathanakan" (Current Analysis) television programme.

These experts all agreed that government agencies, including the Culture Ministry and the TAT, should think twice about using our culture merely to turn a profit - especially in the name of tourism. Niwat, who says he has nothing against water-throwing, suggested adding proper Songkran celebrations to tourist agendas and for our younger generations. He said religious rituals ought to be highlighted in a contemporary manner.

Srisakdi added that preserving this important cultural festival should start with the family. Parents must teach their children proper ways, so that the younger generations can enjoy and be proud of their culture.

Editorial Opinion by Phatarawadee Phataranawik - The Nation - Sat, April 15, 2006

5031166.jpg

Buddhists sprinkle water on Buddha statues from nine temples placed along Bangkok’s picturesque Utthayan Road as the Songkran celebrations begin yesterday.

Whether or not we should preserve ancient traditions and customs is an interesting topic of debate.

...To what extent should the ways of an ancient monarchy be manifested into a global semi-democratic character?

As far as TAT and the government are concerned, however, it was made clear this past sonkran the focus and target of the signifigance of the tourist and his/her dollar to this country.

Then this becomes a matter of marketing..

How do you market a commercial of Thai children pouring water on their grandma's hands to potential tourists? Play that to the masses across the globe and you can garuntee full bookings instantly....not!!!

Sexuality has always effectively sold in mass media, so all these controversial tactics to draw mass tourism shouldn't be a surprise. It's not hard to see the current direction of mass-media and the predominate pop-culture here..(i.e. fashion hub, miss universe contest, lady u-19 FIFA cup, etc. etc.)

Personally, I grew out of the sonkran water fun after year two. It's one of those things fun the first time or two, but faded as quick as carnivals and roller coasters did in my youth. Finishing my fifth sonkran in LOS, I enjoyed it just as much in front of my TV.

Edited by greenwanderer108

In our family Songkran is a time for a famliy gathering to honour the more

senior members by washing them with scented water and presentation of

gifts of flower necklaces.

In turn, I always go with my wife to visit her elder brother and his family to

pay our respects. I feel it is a very good part of the Thai tradition, binding

together the various nuclear families.

Edited by astral

Whether or not we should preserve ancient traditions and customs is an interesting topic of debate.

...To what extent should the ways of an ancient monarchy be manifested into a global semi-democratic character?

As far as TAT and the government are concerned, however, it was made clear this past sonkran the focus and target of the signifigance of the tourist and his/her dollar to this country.

Then this becomes a matter of marketing..

How do you market a commercial of Thai children pouring water on their grandma's hands to potential tourists? Play that to the masses across the globe and you can garuntee full bookings instantly....not!!!

Sexuality has always effectively sold in mass media, so all these controversial tactics to draw mass tourism shouldn't be a surprise. It's not hard to see the current direction of mass-media and the predominate pop-culture here..(i.e. fashion hub, miss universe contest, lady u-19 FIFA cup, etc. etc.)

Personally, I grew out of the sonkran water fun after year two. It's one of those things fun the first time or two, but faded as quick as carnivals and roller coasters did in my youth. Finishing my fifth sonkran in LOS, I enjoyed it just as much in front of my TV.

Traditions and culture has to evolve or die. Just like everything else. The universe does not tolerate anything that is static.