Thai Transport Minister gives State Railway 1 month to improve

webfact

Chatchart Gives State Railway 1 Month To Improve
By Khaosod Online

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand has been instructed by the Minister of Transport to improve its service and safety "within 1 month".

In the meeting with the SRT and the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), Mr. Chatchart Sitthipan stressed that he intends to revamp the woeful quality of the country′s public transport system. He singled out the rail service as a particularly serious concern.

Within 1 month, Mr. Chatchart told the SRT representatives, there must not be any drunk individual or thief hanging around in the train stations. Dirty public restrooms in the stations must also be improved, while the train schedules should be more punctual, Mr. Chatchart said.

Additionally, Mr. Chatchart has asked the SRT to reconsider the policy of charging individuals 3 baht per person to use the public restrooms, as he believes the service should be free of charge. The BMTA charges its customers 5 baht per person in its bus stations, and Mr. Chatchart likewise told the agency to reconsider the policy.

The Transport Minister also mentioned that he did not quite agree with the fare rise for the State Railway Third Class Carriage, as it would cause the government to spend more subsidies to the State Railway.

Currently, passengers can board some Third Class Carriages for free, the costs paid for by the government as part of its populist programs.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM056QXlNVFV3T0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-21

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The State Railway of Thailand has been instructed by the Minister of Transport to improve its service and safety "within 1 month".

And if they don't then what?

The BMTA charges its customers 5 baht per person in its bus stations,

No they don't, its 3 baht at Mo Chit.

The Transport Minister also mentioned that he did not quite agree with the fare rise for the State Railway Third Class Carriage, as it would cause the government to spend more subsidies to the State Railway.

Currently, passengers can board some Third Class Carriages for free, the costs paid for by the government as part of its populist programs.

You have to realize brother that if you want things to improve someone has to pay.

At last i can rest assured that my next trip up North will not result in carnage.

Maybe Thailand should look to India for inspiration on how to run a railway system albiet inherited from the British.

CCC

Monday's newspaper headline: India: at least 37 killed as express train ploughs through railway station

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/19/india-killed-express-train-crash

I rather suspect that more people have died on the Indian railways this week than have so died in Thailand in the last year. Not sure that India is a great role model in this respect.

• Like 1

At last i can rest assured that my next trip up North will not result in carnage.

Maybe Thailand should look to India for inspiration on how to run a railway system albiet inherited from the British.

CCC

Monday's newspaper headline: India: at least 37 killed as express train ploughs through railway station

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/19/india-killed-express-train-crash

I rather suspect that more people have died on the Indian railways this week than have so died in Thailand in the last year. Not sure that India is a great role model in this respect.

Percentages and population. India's railway transports 100's of millions every day. It is the most popular form of transport and 37 deaths equats to insignificance when you compare to Thai railways. % of passenger fatality per journey broke down as an average, Do the sums.

CCC

• Like 1

On the other hand, if the SRT manages to not have another derailment/accident within the next thirty days, this will be declared a great success.

And such success will increase tourism by at least 4 million in 2014.

This will more than balance out the likely 105 missing Egyptian tourists daily

So where is it written about line improvement or even driver safety courses maybe ?No we get rhetoric only,drunks at the stations ,clean the toilets and 3 baht tickets .Again and again a band aid to fix a cancer .

• Like 1

Gives then one month, or else.... what? a rebuke?

Perhaps the Transport Minister should roll up his sleeves, and do as Jimmy Carter or Clinton did when they were US presidents. Go to the places he administers, walk up to offices, walk around railroad stations and yards. As much as possible, talk with everyone involved: station bosses, crew, drivers, maintenance guys, railroad users. Get in the thick of it, and find out what's really going on, and continually seek solutions and improvements.

Instead, he'll do what his political bosses, Yingluck and Thaksin do: Go shopping, go play golf, avoid uncomfortable meetings, and every so often get their secretaries to issue some nice-sounding directive, with no follow up.

• Like 1

This is a big joke. 5bht to go to the toilet and free rail travel. absolutely stupid.

Toilets at bus stations and rail should be the same as airports, FREE.--- Bleeding money making racket, give me one of them toilet franchises my BMW will be parked near ready for home.

Are these privately owned ???? or rail/bus station revenue.

It's NOT RYAN AIR.

Within 1 month, Mr. Chatchart told the SRT representatives, there must not be any drunk individual or thief hanging around in the train stations. Dirty public restrooms in the stations must also be improved, while the train schedules should be more punctual, Mr. Chatchart said.

Clean toilets on the trains would be nice too. How about no roaches or other insects on the train either.

As for drunks, what about the loud obnoxious drunks on the trains?

Another headline grabbing but total impracticable statement from a politician. One month to put right decades of wrongs but a cabinet minister has spoken so I'm sure it will happen.

When I first read about his own research-trip on a train I thought- wow, here is someone who may have the Cochones to change things for good.

Now I have my doubts. According to his 1 month “clean the restrooms order” I believe the guy just wants to impress by demanding some make up for a completely rotten railway system.

Sorry Sir, I guess you just want to go down in history as some kind of “Express Chalerm” by undercutting his "90 day problem solved reports" while only scratching on the surface of the real issue.

Edited by TackyToo
  • Like 2

Another headline grabbing but total impracticable statement from a politician. One month to put right decades of wrongs but a cabinet minister has spoken so I'm sure it will happen.

So TV has been reporting on this guy for the last 3-4 months. Every naysayer posts their negative drivel. HE'S doing things and I think he's shaming his peers by taking actions..., though limited..., and in effect saying they need to do more.

A tip of my hat to Chatchart. Baby steps but he's doing things.

• Like 2

CCC

A railway system inherited from the British????? OH DEAR.

• Like 1

And if no changes are made? Back to the root of many transport issues: no consequences to motivate serious changes being made (same for buses, min vans and so on). Just light threats with no follow through or stiff penalties. Guess that's a developing country.