Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt pretty good in Bangkok (even though 3 days is enough there) and I felt good in the first hotel in Samui. In Phangan and Lanta I've just not felt the vibe at all and the extra excess traveling to get to these places has just added to the crap.

KPG and Lanta really dont have what your looking for.. Simply a mistake in expectation and planning..

You have a pretty brief window in CM (and I agree Pai is a waste of a couple of days.. Not much more there behond backpacker stuff in the hills).. Try to get out to the Mae Tang Elephant park and bamboo rafting.. Thats a nice 'northern style' thing..

I would not support the tiger park.. Drugged animals imo.

Good, keep passing on the word about how terrible Phangan is..... I especially loved the line about how "Phangan is basically a crappy version of Samui"......we who live here wouldn't go anywhere near Samui with a ten-foot pole and avoid it at all cost, but I guess it all depends on your perspective; some people just like Tesco's, movie theaters and 1000 baht dinners and 500 baht taxi rides, some people like nature, perfect empty beaches, 50 baht pad Thai and riding around on a 5 dollar a day scooter.

You didn't understand the beauty and vibe of Thong Nai Pan, excellent, please pass the word! More for the people here who enjoy the freedom and personality of this cool-ass place and don't want farangs overrunning it outside of the week leading up to full moon. The other 3 weeks are perfect, and the people who live here know that.

Edited by Deaw
  • Like 2

This is the "quality tourist" that Thailand is trying to attract. They have high standards and are sorely disappointed when those standards are not met.

I think you totally and utterly misunderstand what type of traveler I am.

I wanted to see as much as Thailand as possible and experience as much as I could. I've stated numerous times I'm not interested in snobby resorts where you don't even leave the gates. The fact that I will have probably seen more of Phangan and Lanta than most people who visit should attest to this

The poster wasnt mocking you.. More mocking the Thai tourist board..

We want big spenders waaa waaa.. But dont actually offer them the kind of ease of use that big spenders demand.

You might have actually enjoyed the mess that Phuket has become.. Surin beach cocktails and Bang Tao beach clubs might fit your travel style

• Like 1

I simply meant that you went on holiday at 5 star resorts which generally people do if they just DO the resort. You didn't do Thailand. It's well known that travelling in Thailand can be a chore. If people here on TV said it was OK then either they have never been or understand the traveling.

Anyway at least the 1st bit was fun.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Yeah I understand that point, but surely there is some middle ground between going around the place with dreadlocks and a backpack and staying in a nice modern hotel.

Yes there are 5 star ultra luxury resorts that you're just meant to stay contained in and then there are medium level resorts (4 star and sometimes 5) that are centrally located where you can explore the surroundings.

Both the places we stayed in Samui were 4 and 5 star and located on the main road in Chaweng.

In Phangan where should I have stayed? The main town there is a total dump and in no way the "real Thailand." In fact I would say the isolated part of the island we were in was more reflective of what that island is about.

In Ko Lanta my point is wherever you stay on the island there is bugger all to do. You are isolated for the simple fact of being on Lanta.

Bangkok is Bangkok regardless of what star rating hotel you stay in. You can get any where you want with the Skytrain. It's just whether you sleep on a nice bed or not.

I really don't see how staying in a nice hotel is avoiding seeing the real Thailand

You can get anywhere you want with the skytrain ???? The last time I was in Bangkok (4 weeks ago) I walked away from the station and got a bus instead, was much quicker, there was really long queues at the ticket office and the ticket machines, this was at 3 pm midweek. So have all those BTS stations sprung up and all those new tracks been laid in the last four weeks?

I personally am not too fond of Bangkok, but to describe it that negatively is not quite right. There is so much to see in Bangkok, so much culture that one can enjoy few days there (even without Paragon and cinema and shopping, which most tourists like), in spite of it being overcrowded and polluted. If I may, I would like to ask all that have been to Bangkok, why it has been voted the best tourist city three years running by a reputable Journal? Surely not because of the "sex offers" there.

As far as the rest of the remarks, I really think that if one crams one's trip (some people say they have seen the whole of Europe in one week - it can be done , but how???) the way this OP did, or is still doing, one shouldn't be surprised at not enjoying one's trip. One has to get to know a place before enjoying it.

I hope that Chiang Mai and the north will be enjoyable and , when the next trip to Thailand is planned, take your time and don't try and see and do too much in the time available. I think Thailand is a beautiful country, full of culture, and wonderful places for everybody's taste - beautiful beaches, wonderful mountain views etc

• Like 2

Yeah I understand that point, but surely there is some middle ground between going around the place with dreadlocks and a backpack and staying in a nice modern hotel.

Yes there are 5 star ultra luxury resorts that you're just meant to stay contained in and then there are medium level resorts (4 star and sometimes 5) that are centrally located where you can explore the surroundings.

Both the places we stayed in Samui were 4 and 5 star and located on the main road in Chaweng.

In Phangan where should I have stayed? The main town there is a total dump and in no way the "real Thailand." In fact I would say the isolated part of the island we were in was more reflective of what that island is about.

In Ko Lanta my point is wherever you stay on the island there is bugger all to do. You are isolated for the simple fact of being on Lanta.

Bangkok is Bangkok regardless of what star rating hotel you stay in. You can get any where you want with the Skytrain. It's just whether you sleep on a nice bed or not.

I really don't see how staying in a nice hotel is avoiding seeing the real Thailand

I have stayed in Chaweng on Samui in a nice small privately owned resort. Ran about 1200 baht per night, and on the beach. I think you just chose the wrong hotel, too upscale.

As for Koh Lanta... well, it is the OFF SEASON. It is called the off season for a reason you know. I have been there many times and love it. Koh Lanta is QUIET, which is what I want. We stayed in a small resort about 20-30 or so minutes out of town. Cost was 1000 baht per night, on the beach. Go into town to eat dinner, some very very good seafood restraunts there.

Been to Koh Phangan once. i will not waste my time going back. Bad choice, in my opinion.

There is a lot to do in Bangkok (no not Paragon or movies), if you had really wanted to explore it. You didn't, your choice.

You overpaid, by a lot, I think, for your hotels. You can get good (not 5 star) accomodation for much less. Again, your choice.

One thing you are right about, is that Thailand is no longer cheap. You paid first world prices for a third world experience. Make no mistake, Thailand is third world, regardless of how Thailand wants to see itself.

Anyone who has done any amount of travelling would know what is involved in changing locations/hotels/flights/buses/cars/taxis/packing and unpacking etc. That you complain about it means you either have little travel experience or thought somehow all would be magically taken care of in Thailand. Wake up.

While your itinary is doable, it is, in my opinion, overly ambitious for a first visit, especially on your own. Perhaps you should have booked with a tour group, they would have taken care of all the details and you would not have had to worry.

Advice you get on forums is as valuable as you want it to be. Problem is that we all have different needs/likes/dislikes. Example: I love Koh Lanta because it is very quiet, yet you hate it for the very same reason. If you want to party, Koh Lanta is a bad choice, Bangkok would be better, or Pattaya or Phuket.

Hope you do better in Chiang Mei. It is nice with a fair bit of sightseeing available. I think the air should be clear this time of year.

Plan better next time. Be less ambitious with your itinary, so less hopping about.

• Like 1

Excellent review of the tourist traps of Thailand. However, there are a lot better places to go where the people don't play 'gouge the foreigner'. I personally prefer Isaan and parts of the North. Even places like Hua Hin I find more appealing than Phuket. I suspect that you could have avoided a lot of your 'surprises' by doing more research before booking hotels. There are a host of sites where people will share their opinions about destinations and hotels. If you are surprised about how remote a hotel is or how uncomfortable a beach is, you only have yourself to blame.

I travel mostly in the north.South is very different.The north is much cheaper and the people more friendly. You should enjoy CM. It is a nice city and lots to do. Too bad you are skipping Pai. It is kicked back and pretty. If you do go I can tell you to check Pai cookery school. Lady there is a friend of mine and the cooking class is excellent. Mention my name Tyler and you will get big smiles. Yellow Sun bar is nice as well. Owner's name is Book and also a friend. The Bee Bop is a club there that usually has good live music. Lot of artistic people in Pai. An interesting place. Hope the rest of your trip is great. Thailand really is a wonderful place.

Hi,

I think your first mistake was to be so beach resort heavy. 3-5 nights at 2 different islands, would be enough to relax and enjoy, unless of course you were on a scuba diving holiday.

There's nothing at a beach and that is the point, to relax and do nothing.

The amount of time you spent in Bkk was about right, but I'm unsure why you couldn't find anything interesting. No time for Ayyuttaya, a one night side trip?

I think the reason posters suggest to get out of the 5 star hotels to see the "real Thailand" is that those hotels seem to be the most isolated from anything, or in the most touristy areas.

Another mistake is the amount you spent on food. You mentioned steak sandwich and pizza. Really? You came to Thailand and ordered pizza?

I can go to Thai restaraunt and each dish is about 30baht. You are spending 1000 baht on a meal, I can feed 5 friends on that.

I think the beach and tourist areas made your trip so expensive. My first 1 month trip here cost 3200 dollars airfare included. You've spent$ 20k in one month and say Thailand is expensive. I'm living here for $10k a year.

I hope you come back with a less exact, more relaxed plan and fully enjoy the country. It does have alot to offer and needn't be so expensive.

Chiang Mai shouldn't disappoint.

Cheers, Duane

• Like 2

I find it very sad that you base your opinion of a place on a few days here and there... I have been living on Koh Phangan for 4 years and I love it! I'm not into partying or yoga... I have a restaurant on the north west coast of the island. The best part of the island for me.

No there isn't much to do here if you're looking for cinema, bowling, shopping... But is it why you came to Thailand? You complain that you could not find the genuine Thailand but yet the only things that satisfied you where things that aren't Thai.

And by the way the road to Thong Nai Pan is not the main road at all! It's a new road they are building to accommodate the new 5 star resorts! This part of the island used to be a backpacker place less than five years ago. It takes time to build infrastructure. Especially in Thailand!

Koh Phangan is not perfect. I know that. If you expect paradise, european five star standard and fine dinning every night this place is not for you. But there are great family owned resort, amazing restaurants, beautiful beaches and great people. It just takes more than 5 days cast away on a luxury villa area to discover it!

I wish that for the rest of your stay you give up your expectation of what Thailand should be and let it charm you with it's unique ways!

• Like 2

Are you a troll ? whistling.gif

Anyone who looks for top end accommodation etc and moans about 1000bht, that's 20 English quid, for dinner for 2 is having a laugh. rolleyes.gif

Do you know how much it costs to get in the USA Disney land or world. Did you not remember in the USA at a restaurant they add on 15% service charge whether you like it or not. facepalm.gif

My point was Thailand is not cheap. Everyone always gives this impression it is and it's simply not.

I'm not complaining at a $30 meal for 2, I understand that might be the going rate these days... I was simply pointing out that Thailand is not cheap, that's all

If you take everything into consideration, TV licence, council tax, car tax, this tax and that tax, fares for travelling, cost of food, I could go on and on. Thailand is much cheaper than the UK, I am not qualified to talk about what's cheap and what is not in other Western countries.

• Like 1

Good, keep passing on the word about how terrible Phangan is..... I especially loved the line about how "Phangan is basically a crappy version of Samui"......we who live here wouldn't go anywhere near Samui with a ten-foot pole and avoid it at all cost, but I guess it all depends on your perspective; some people just like Tesco's, movie theaters and 1000 baht dinners and 500 baht taxi rides, some people like nature, perfect empty beaches, 50 baht pad Thai and riding around on a 5 dollar a day scooter.

You didn't understand the beauty and vibe of Thong Nai Pan, excellent, please pass the word! More for the people here who enjoy the freedom and personality of this cool-ass place and don't want farangs overrunning it outside of the week leading up to full moon. The other 3 weeks are perfect, and the people who live here know that.

We must have visited different islands.

First restaurant I went to on Phangan cost literally 1,000 Baht for a meal (no dessert) and the meat was way under cooked. This place was run by a westerner and his Thai wife. Second place we went to was 400 Baht for some burgers that were mashed together with egg in them. This place was off the beaten track down some side road and run by locals.

$5 a day for a scooter is the price everywhere in Thailand... That's not exclusive to Phangan. I rented for the exact same price in Samui no problem.

I like nature and beaches. However most of Phangan is dense inaccessible forest. I said Thong Nai Pan was nice, even though it was full of French people (just kidding), but you can't say an island is incredible just because of one nice beach that takes an hour of death road driving to get to. That's nuts.

Anyway I really must go, thank you to all that have given tips on Chiang Mai and Bangkok etc. I really appreciate the advice smile.png

You didn't plan this through very well really. Maybe you had restrictions on your travel dates but you came in the monsoon season which is why it's low season. If you had of looked deeper you would have understood about Ko Lanta Ko Phangyan. You would also have left BKK to the end for shopping purposes mainly. Railay beach in Krabi was voted 2nd best neach in the World a few years ago but you passed on that one. There are so many diverse and fanastic things to do in Thailand - a lot listed elsewhere on this page! But you chose The backpacker/drug fest choice with Ko Phangan instead, strange. Your vacation will improve once in Chiang Mai but a 4 hour flight? Are you flying in from Bali? It takes less from KL!! If you want to spend a few enjoyable hours with elephants the maesa is good, the tiger temple is great too. Fantastic restaurants (all costing about 20% of what you paid in Samui) with northern cuisine, cheap beer, great shopping malls, you could spend a day in Ban Thawai looking at the furniture and crafts. Plus you don't get striped up by taxis. I hope the north changes your outlook but I feel you're too deeply entrenched in your negative views now.

Sorry, but Railay is nowhere near a world class beach. I went there and was so disappointed, left the next day. One side disappears at high tide, the other is a mangrove swamp. Please understand, I've been to most Caribbean islands, Seychelles, Maldives, Hawaii, etc., etc. Railay isn't even in the top 100, IMHO. Again, this is my humble opinion. wai2.gif

Probably the highlight of Bangkok for me was Siam Paragon and the VIP cinema (how silly is that). This cinema is one of the best I've ever been too. I also enjoyed eating dinner at the Mandarin Oriental by the river... I'd highly recommend that. As for other activities in Bangkok... I went to the shooting range and blew $300 in about 15 minutes on pretty much nothing, such a waste of money. Also went to Lumpini Park which was full of protestors screaming down microphones and not much else. Add to the fact the sweltering heat makes going to a park a bit of a drag. Maybe Bangkok is more fun if you're single and can hang out with a load of lady boys... Who knows...

you did about everything wrong from A to Z!

wrong hotel in Bangkok, eating at the Mandarin when there are 100's of famous seafood places for a fraction of the price!

shooting range for 300$! Lumpini Park!

How about the most famous sights you missed in Bangkok? ( Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn), Grand Palace & Wat Prakeaw, Chao Phraya River & Waterways by longtail boat, Khlong Tour just to name a few)

further you seem to think that good service is available only in 5-star places. you are sooooo wrong!

paying 500 /1000 baht for taxis, paying 1000+ Baht for meals?

Hey, you better start all over again with a different attitude, or just forget about Thailand. It doesn't seem to be for you.

Thaisabai

Mandarin Oriental is an amazing hotel. What a great place to stay and eat. Martini's in the famous Bamboo bar are great!

We have a tourist who's looking for a 5 star experience. Which seems to be difficult to fine here.

As you say, there's great stuff in the lower end, but this tourist didn't come here for that. This seems to be the problem.

"Some of the problems are probably my fault,"

There you have it!

Only that "some" should be replaced by "most".

For me everything was perfectly clear when I read that your first destination was the hotel of "Hangover 2" - I can imagine what kind of expectations were behind your "planning"... Also, expectation is the shortest road to disappointment.

Instead of planning and relying on forums and tips of the so-called "Thailand experts", you should have just booked the ticket, grabbed your backpack and "let Thailand happen", just like I did when I arrived here over 22 years ago. With your planning and by chosing the worst places to go (congrats on picking Koh Lanta, where I lived and worked for about a year and named it "Koh Chuck Wao" - can't write here what it means in English as otherwise I might get scolded again by TVs moderators, but sure you will find out).

Like Krabi, the local population of Koh Lanta has an over 60% muslim percentage, making it a no-fun place. Beaches full of dead coral and rock, making it unable for the visitor to swim during low tide, adds to the disappointment... But I personally know a few expats who live happily there and love the place - after all it is your very own perspective on Thailand and live in general what makes your stay, vacation and even your whole life success or failure.

Don't blame Thailand, look in the mirror my friend and check out some of the places off the beaten path like Khao Sok (Chao Lan Lake), Khao Lak, Umphang, Pai, etc. throw your 5-star expectations into the bin and experience the real Thailand.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

Very sorry to hear about your experiences, despite so much planning. I think we all discover as we get older that small islands are for younger people who sleep all day and party all night. On my rare forays south these days, I tend to stick to mainland coastal resorts so there is always somewhere to escape to. Doesn't sound as if you will be back, but (for example) Khao Lak, north of Phuket, has great beaches and easy access to inland national parks for diversion.

I have lived in the north (Chiang Rai) for 10 years, and it is almost another country here - not to mention much cheaper than the islands. Here are a few thoughts for your Chiang Mai sector based on my frequent visits:

- careful with the Tiger Kingdom. A colleague's wife almost died after she was lacerated by a tiger. Keep your distance from the cuddly pets.

- if you are confident on a motorbike (and it isn't raining), consider hiring a small bike (or a 250 off-road machine if you're more confident) and spending a day in the hills to the west/northwest (Some ideas for rentals here, but whoever you choose, check the bike before riding off). Doing the Samoeng loop road is easy, with lots of trails off there. You can get a good laminated map prepared by GT-Rider from many shops showing the trails. Going up to Doi Suthep and continuing to the top of the mountain and down the other side to a Lahu village is also fun.

- not many people go to the Ancient City just outside Chiang Mai, where you can see remains of the predecessor settlement to Chiang Mai.

- spend a couple of hours wandering along Nimmanhaemen Road where the Thais go for coffee, modern food, art/furniture galleries. This is what Bangkok could be like.

- check out some of Chiang Mai's great live music scene. Boy's Blues Bar (named after the owner, Boy, rather than anything else.....) often features local guitarists who step up for a guest appearance.

Maybe the North can save Thailand's reputation in your eyes......

Good luck!

• Like 2

you say youre bored in an all inclusive resort and there is nothing to do and then tell us youre going to isolate yourself in Pai to "chill out"? lol. There are dozens of things to do in BKK. You should have researched them. And if you like to "do" and "see" things, eat in good restaurants, stay in 5 star facilities then I dont understand why you picked small isolated islands to stay on.

$300 night hotel and moans about 500 Baht taxi farelaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I have got to say it is really ridiculous for a hotel charging $300 per night and then charging you for the internet. The internet is almost 100% profit for hotels, and it is just pure greed for any hotel to charge for it.

I think the planning is where you went wrong. Each and every time I came here many years ago for a holiday I had no idea where in Thailand I would stay. Of course I would have certain places to visit in mind. That is what it's about here the freedom aspect.

If you plan heavily you will have expectations and if what you find is not what you plan for it will be disappointing.

I said Thong Nai Pan was nice, even though it was full of French people (just kidding), but you can't say an island is incredible just because of one nice beach that takes an hour of death road driving to get to. That's nuts.

Errrrrr, Thong Nai Pan is one of probably 10 nice beaches we have on Phangan; I live in Ban Tai, a hundred meters from a 7-mile beach! Perfect for wind-surfing, with a gorgeous view of Samui and lined with dozens of small resorts where a person can grab a lunch or dinner for less than 100 baht. Trust me, I do it almost daily.

I get where you are coming from though, some people come here and are just automatically turned off, the same way we ''local farangs'' feel when we have to go to Samui for supplies or to get real medical attention. Or even worse, going to Bangkok; yikes, the traffic. But to say Phangan only has "one nice beach that takes an hour of death road to get to" is just plain wrong, sorry.

post-143316-0-71577700-1377236692_thumb.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. The tourist board are always going on about how they don't want backpackers only luxury tourists. However, Thailand simply doesn't have the infrastructure.

As someone who travelled all around Thailand as a teenager in 2000 and have now lived here for years I would say that Thailand is great fun to travel round but only at that age. I had so much fun living one day to the next. However, I take your point about not wanting to do it that way, I wouldn't either at my age (don't know how old you are but guessing you are not under 23).

Personally if I want to travel in thailand now I go to one place and stay in a nice resort but then I guess living here I can do that.

For me I wouldn't have planned so much of the trip and just played it by ear but then this is with the benefit of hindsight and experience of Thailand. I think sometimes the best holidays you have here are when you just go with the flow. If you like a place you stay there longer and if you don't you move on.

Anyway these are just some of my thoughts. I hope you enjoy Chiang Mai (my favourite place to visit in Thailand) and if you like culture, history and temples (as I do) I am sure you will.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright -Dylan

------------------------------

C G Am

Well it ain't no use to sit and wonder why babe

F C G

If you don't know by now

C G Am

And it ain't no use to sit and wonder why babe

D7 G G7

It don't matter any how

• Like 1

I normally enjoy my visits to thailand and I don't spend a lot.

A friend of mine stayed at the CM hotel you've booked into, and enjoyed it. By all means do all the touristy things you can do nearby (walking streets etc), but also get out past the moat and explore a bit beyond the main tourist areas.

In Chiang Mai, I like hanging out at the swimming pool at the 700 year stadium. It's just a relaxing, enjoyable place for me. Uncrowded, and pleasant and it only costs a couple of dollars.

Eating in CM can be great and not expensive. Half the fun is finding good places without a plan - take your chances, and you might be pleasantly surprised (Hint: try some of the places around CM Uni). I just don't spend B1000 for a meal for two, although if you eat in some of the five star places that amount might buy you a starter.

And if you want to engage with people, try visiting a few charities, and you'll see another aspect to Thailand, too. PM me if you're interested in doing something like that.

And for me, bliss is riding the back blocks of CM on a motorcycle. Ride your bike up to Doi Kamm temple (not Doit Suthep) for a great (if relatively short) ride, and a less touristy experience at the top. Great views over CM from up there on a clear day.

Edited by dundas

Sorry to hear about your sucky holiday in Thailand. And sorry for all the people giving you crap about your posting. You were trying to share the bad experience so others would not make the same mistakes.

I've had friends com to Thailand to visit and make the same mistake by trying to squeeze too much into a block of time. Best to focus on a few spots with enough time to learn how to enjoy them. Good advice for those who follow.

I live in Chiang Mai. You might enjoy it. It is a bit cheaper if you can eat more street food rather than restaurants who cater to westerners. I would suggest staying near the Night Bazaar so you won't be isolated. Easy to get a tuk-tuk or song taew to get around. There are several smaller hotels where you can get a decent room for 1000 baht / night and be able to walk to restaurants and shopping. You can book some trekking or elephant parks or hill tribe visits here. There are some decent ones that treat the elephants well and not just to make a baht. Take a song taew up to Doi Suthep and bring a camera.

Good luck and hope your holiday finishes better than it started.

• Like 1