Been in Thailand for about 3 weeks now... My overall thoughts...

Neo6

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean truly please tell me how I can see this amazing real Thailand. Shall I check into a dirty hostel with bed bugs then go eat some fried chicken at a street vendor on my way to a lady boy ping pong show? Is that the real Thailand? Shall I spend 2 days on a cramped train traveling down the country looking at one banana plantation after another?

Well actually you just defined amazing thailand quite well, try it out :)

I would say just bad planning on the latter part of your trip. Also 5 star hotels are not Thailand..

Have fun in Majorca next year biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Funny because most people on this forum said my plan was very good.

5 star hotels are not Thailand? How do you figure that? A large majority of the resorts are now 4 and 5 star...

And thanks but no thanks to Majorca, have a bit more adventure in me than that smile.png

-----------------------

Five star and 4 star hotels in Thailand are for newbie tourists .... they are usually vastly overpriced and provide poor service for the cost ... in short they are not a value for the money they charge .

For example I am right now in a hotel that was originally built as a condo type residence in Bangkok.

They rent 3 room suites (bedroom, sitting room, and bathroom) that would be good for a couple.

Location is on Sathorn road .... slightly off the main road, but you can easily get a metered taxi with a walk of less than 50 meters just outside the hotel.

Also the BTS train system is less than 100 meters away .... you can go anywhere in Bangkok using the BTS.

Of course, as a tourist, you might not know about that, it's the difference between being a tourist and living here.

The walk-in price for this room is technically $70 per night, but I got this room through a travel agency on-line in a special promotion price at about $30 a night all inclusive.

It's not flash, but it was built in 2010 and all the furniture is new.

I doubt that there are more than a half dozen guests in this 50 room hotel.

That's why they are promoting the discount fares now.

Obviously you, as a tourist unacquainted with Bangkok, wouldn't know about these bargains .... unless you searched through the internet for them.

That's the difference between being a "tourist" and living here long term stay.

Neo6 try next time to forget the planning.

Just go with the flow,even the nighttrain from Bangkok to Surat Thanee(Koh Samui) is relaxing and part of a holiday.

Forget lebua go to silomcity inn with the market next door and 4 religions on a square km.(hindu,moslim,christian and afcourse buddist) very peacefull

part of Bangkok.

And you where right just after bangkok go straight to Samui,but don't go to chaweng or all that touristic places.Me I come for more than 20 years on this island and I have to say, you are a bit to late to visit,because the real beauty is gone. But it is still the best island in Thailand

Next time rent a car from a western compagnie and rent a bungalow in a quiet part of the island(north east ) it will be easy to go everywhere on the island.

And if you are interesting to see some of the real Thailand go to the north east (isaan) it is by far more cheaper and there are 4/5 star hotels in the city's.

Good luck and don't be dissapointing, give it another try.

What kind of 4/5 star hotels might there be in isaan?none,the real Thailand watching ricefields and visiting some ancient khmer ruins is not a very spectacular way to spend ones holiday and isaan is very boring and al citys look alike been there done that.

Kudel do you have any idee what the stars mean for a hotel?

In my country 5 stars hotels are 5 star hotels in Thailand hilton hotels are 5 star and also waldorf astoria and i have yet to see a 5 star hotel in isaan most of them don't even have a star rating and i wonder if you have ever seen a five star hotel from the inside.

Maybe you'll have more fun up here in CM when you get to that part. I live here, so don't do the holiday planning much any more. However, when I did used to come on holidays, I always spent most of my time up north (CM and above) - Ayuttaya on occasion (the old capital) but only for the temples and old palace (did that water park ever open????). I think real tourists (like you - as opposed to those that just come for the booze and sex - or to sit in a spa/hotel/resort for the entire time by a pool) tend to be either beachbums, sightseers or sporties (my names for them). The former love the islands and beach places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Hui Hin, Phuket, the Kohs, etc. The second like to back pack travel about - these people like Ayutaya, the north generally, Kanchanaburi (death railway/bridge over the river kwai/pow graveyard) and quick visits to places like Mini-Siam (Pattaya), Old City(Bkk), snake/crocodile/silk/butterfly/orchid farms (everywhere). The latter like white water rafting and trekking (Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai) and diving (see beach areas).

So depends what sort you are - and you should have planned your holiday accordingly. Guest Houses and smaller hotels are often much more fun here in my view - you meet more interesting people (if any in 4/5 star hotels) and often nearer to the life.

Where are you staying in CM? Plenty to see up here - lots of tours to do and stuff to do in the city itself (new shopping mall too as that was your Bkk highlight lol!)

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

We are staying in Bodhi Serene hotel in Chiang Mai for 3 nights (it's very central) and then going to Pai for 2 nights (staying in Pai Island Resort) for a total chill out. Knowing what I know now I probably would have stayed at least 7 nights in the North instead of 5, to allow a bit more flexibility with travel.

I had down the Baan Chang or Thai Elephant Conservation Centre and also Tiger Kingdom, all of which are meant to treat the animals very well

Pai ... I've been once it's ok there ... I drove a 5-series BMW there ... if you are going by bus FYL ... in any case take some travel sick pills before you go ... and if you are not the driver ... a blindfold!!

You should probably stay home for next vacation. Sounds like you have had a nightmare holiday..

I truly can not understand how bad your experience has been.

I have always had the time of my life.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some people would find even 'heaven' kinda boring.

Seriously, people should stay at home - stop travelling.

• Like 1

No Phuket or Pattaya on your itinerary, OP?

Plan was to go all around the Krabi area (including Phuket), but it turns out Lanta is the worst possible place to do that from. Would have been nice to know this!

As for Pattaya why would I go there? Isn't it full of old fat dudes trying to get laid? I'm with my GF and have no need for that nonsense smile.png

Neo, there are plenty of "fat dudes" in every country, and I'm certainly not qualified to comment on their sex lives. Generalizing about groups is often inaccurate particularly when a person has little or no experience firsthand.

While Pattaya has its share of overweight people, it is also home to thousands of non-Thai people with families and lives, much like yours I imagine. They get up, eat, go to work, take care of the house, care for the kids, shop for groceries, vacation and dream of their version of Nirvana.

The current flow of tourists happen to be Russian and Chinese families. While your comments about Pattaya are understandable and the sex trade exists, it is hardly accurate.

Perhaps another country might have what you are looking for. Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Vietnam are nearby and certainly worthy of exploration. Good luck in your travels and enjoy life on lifes terms. :)

I have not read all the posts here. But one thing stroke me Immediately.... This was written by a guy not at all eductaed in trips and trvaels and knows absolutely nothing about anything obviously.

You visit every dam_n touristplace there is in Thailand and than expect it to be cheap, hahahahaha!!! Thailand is more than just these

plain Koh Samui or Bangkok or Chiang Mai. same as Europe is so much more than the city you americans mostly visit. Paris, London Rom and Spain.......

No.... This was BAD planing if you wanted a cheap trip and very good planning if you wanted to have a expensive holiday....

Unexperienced guys must expect to pay up until they can do better

Glegolo

Glegolo, ...your comment "same as Europe is so much more than the city you americans mostly visit. Paris, London Rom and Spain.....". How many Americans have you surveyed and what is it based on?

It seems that you scold the OP and label him as knowing "nothing about anything". I know him only from his post and am not qualified to judge him purely on that alone. You must know him personally to be able to make that type of hurtful statement.

Your comments seem baseless and lack credibility IMO.

• Like 1

[Pai ... I've been once it's ok there ... I drove a 5-series BMW there ... if you are going by bus FYL ... in any case take some travel sick pills before you go ... and if you are not the driver ... a blindfold!!]

This is the very reason I would not travel to Pai, especially on land. I was in a back seat, and for the first time ever I got car sick since I was 10 years old. The roads are bending in and out that the car is in constant turning. I asked to sit in the front, then I felt better. But then my friend now suffered, so I needed to give back the seat.... But the snack store we stoopped by helped a lot, by getting some sweetend tamarind.

Sorry to hear about your woes, yes you should have gone direct to Samui booked into a nice centrally located Hotel for a few nights hit a few restaurants and bars, then picked the brains of the local expat community. They would have kept you right on where to go and how to go about it.

• Like 1

Perhaps another country might have what you are looking for. Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Vietnam are nearby and certainly worthy of exploration.

Lao is the perfect destination for Neo6. It's situated at the core of human misery. No one ever smiles. Happiness is probably punishable by way of a fine.

As for Pattaya why would I go there? Isn't it full of old fat dudes trying to get laid?

While your comments about Pattaya are understandable and the sex trade exists, it is hardly accurate.

I dunno, I think what he was describing does hold true for a large portion of Pattaya, between beach road and soi Bukhao and from Walking Street to the traffic circle. Outside of there, where the "people with families are getting up to go to work", is a place few tourists would go. This guy and his wife likely would have ended up within the borders I described, and they would have likely hated it. As I do. As many people who have witnessed it do.

Sounds like someone may have touched a nerve with a Pattaya expat tired of having his new home described as a sex tourist hellhole?

I travel mostly in the north.South is very different.The north is much cheaper and the people more friendly. You should enjoy CM. It is a nice city and lots to do. Too bad you are skipping Pai. It is kicked back and pretty. If you do go I can tell you to check Pai cookery school. Lady there is a friend of mine and the cooking class is excellent. Mention my name Tyler and you will get big smiles. Yellow Sun bar is nice as well. Owner's name is Book and also a friend. The Bee Bop is a club there that usually has good live music. Lot of artistic people in Pai. An interesting place. Hope the rest of your trip is great. Thailand really is a wonderful place.

I would have to disagree about Pai being "kicked back and pretty", at least as of the last couple of years. Pai has developed into a tourist monstrosity, with very little traditional character left. The tourist to local ratio must be about the same as Chaweng now, and that has come with traffic jams and souvenir stands that begin 5 - 10 km outside of town with all the tacky coffee shops with giant strawberries, painted rocks and bad art. I'm not sure most people want to drive three hours through the mountains so that they can do late night rock clubs like BeeBop, get a tattoo, or have a quarter pound cheeseburger for dinner, all of which is available in the main street. Actually, there are very few true locals left as most of them sold out to Bangkok people. Now it just looks like a neo-hippy scene, with people roaming the streets in pyjama-like outfits such as the mandatory tie-dyed fisherman pants. In the end, I guess it's what you are after, and if you are after a scene such as that, Pai is perfect and there are hundreds of cheap guesthouses there.

If you do want to head up the mountains in that direction, I would recommend you skip Pai and keep on driving after you get through the Pai traffic lights and jams, cross one more mountain and visit Soppong instead. You might find that it resembles the Pai of years past, as it is still very traditional and quiet. Last time I was there, there weren't even any souvenir shops or beer bars yet either. A nice place to stay would be Soppong River Inn, and the cafe there is outstanding. Or just keep driving another 70 km or so and visit Mae Hong Son, which is certainly an interesting and lovely little town, still without a lot of tourists. Although a bit outside of town, Gims Resort is a very nice place to stay.

agree about skipping Pai,

posted this in another thread but

Just drove the route last month ( 4th or 5th time) in a Honda civic. I also spent lost of time NORTH of there as well along the Burma border and its beautiful witj few tourists at all.

http://phuket.zenfolio.com/f475905242

lots of cool places to stop.

check the brakes before u go!!!!

1,864 curves

On the outside of town is the Mae Hong Song tourism office, across the street is the chamber of commerce office, stop in their and get ur certificate an sticker showing u have done it!!!

MHS is great,out of all my trips have never stopped in Pai other than to eat, to many backpackers and internet cafes . Its like Khao san road now.

MHS is much nicer, also if u want stop for the night in the middle check out the Soppong River inn. Towns not much but the inn is great an the rooms are right over the river and great food...

Also make a stop at Tham lot (not far from Soopong) and visit the caves, there right near the road.

Mae Aw is nice as well as its way out there an some nice places to try local tea.

Take is easy on the road....

Lao is the perfect destination for Neo6. It's situated at the core of human misery. No one ever smiles. Happiness is probably punishable by way of a fine.

Total BULLSHIT, i found just as many people smiling in Laos an Cambodia as Thailand and they are not always after ur $$ as well.

Both are fantastic countries to visit

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

I think two sentences out of the OP tell a lot about the poster and mindset.

"I arrived in Thailand at the start of August for a 1 month holiday that was suppose to be out of this World."

"If someone had told me what I have learned over the last few weeks I probably never would have come, simple as that."

Having spent a lot of time in Lanta, I wholeheartedly disagree with his opinion, then again I don't stay at the most posh resort in all of Southern Thailand, I take a 500thb bungalow with my feet in the sand right out my door in Khlong Dao which is a quick jump to Saladan town and the seafood restaurants.

At nightime if I want to stay in my trunks and walk the beach where there are fire shows and stars to be seen, can do that. Can't do that at Pimilai ! No you can overpay for everything at Pimilai and then be disappointed (obviously....).

​No,can't imagine a seasoned traveler here. I've always found not planning and just winging it as a traveler is more fun.

• Like 1

I mean truly please tell me how I can see this amazing real Thailand. Shall I check into a dirty hostel with bed bugs then go eat some fried chicken at a street vendor on my way to a lady boy ping pong show? Is that the real Thailand? Shall I spend 2 days on a cramped train traveling down the country looking at one banana plantation after another?

I just don't get it. What have I missed?

In Bangkok I went to all the recommended places. In Samui I went all around the island, went to the all the best rated spots, saw a bunch of different beaches, ate at a load of different restaurants. In Phangan I nearly killed myself on their stupid roads trying to explore the place. And now in Lanta I spent 2 hours driving around the whole island just looking for something cool. So tell me, what am I doing so wrong? I'm not sitting in my hotel every day watching cable TV. I've really tried to see and explore. Were the destinations I chose crap? If so what are good places to visit?

You bitched about a lot of things you didn't like in your post... However, you never indicated what it is you are looking for so I'm not sure what you EXPECTED to find.

Are you looking for singing and dancing like in "The King and I" or what?

It's a developing country, full of poverty, corruption, greed and pollution. It happens to have some nice beaches, where they haven't screwed them up yet with the corruption and greed and pollution. Being a developing country, a lot of the roads and other infrastructure is not up to the standards of wherever you are from. (Aus I assume.)

Visiting a place like this (or living here like I do) is about experiencing it, good and bad. If you don't want the experience, stay home. Or go vacation someplace that is just like home. Or take a cruise so you have all the activities you apparently want planned out for you and you don't have to experience the reality of the places you "visit".

On your plan, there was nothing really "wrong" with it. However, you were packing a lot of locations into the trip and every traveler knows what was apparently a surprise to you, moving around takes time and effort.

I commend you for wanting to see a variety of places including going up north and not just being one of those tourists that fly to Phuket and lay around on the beach close to Bangla road. But I think you were a bit over the top on the number of places you wanted to visit. Lesson learned, but it's not Thailand's fault that you booked a complicated itinerary.

My best recommendation to you is to absorb a little bit of Thai culture in the time you have remaining.

Jai Yen

Mai pen rai.

Relax, chill out, and enjoy the rest of your trip.

If you have travelled to China then you would realize that BKK is far from being polluted. Visit some temples. Take in the shopping, the intercontinental hotel is my first choice. Take in the local culture. Taste the street food. Visit the floating markets. Go to Ayuttaya and see the ancient temples. Hua Hin is a great place for married couples. The food is amazing here. Check out Sirocco, a famous restaurant. There is a beautiful restaurant outdoors near the airport surrounded by temples, amazing architecture, swans, and a beautiful little lake. While your at it buy a new suit from the local tailor Apu ha ha

That's true, although compared to China no where is polluted smile.png

When I arrived in Samui I certainly felt the air was a lot cleaner though. Anyway pollution kinda comes with the package when you visit a major city.

I definitely wanted to go to Ayuttaya but I don't think we'll have time. Maybe next time tongue.png

Neo6

Of all the things you could have seen and done in Thailand, visiting the ancient ruins in Ayutthaya would have to be at the top of the list. But instead, you planned multiple stops on multiple remote tropical islands and then got on TV and whined about being "trapped" on them and complaining about pollution in one of the worlds biggest megacities.

You are either an idiot or a troll or both.

I planned poorly and yet I spent 2 weeks researching everything I could, looking on booking.com, TripAdvisor, these forums, 2 other Thai forums. Took advice from loads of people and put together the best locations and hotels I could find at the time.

I'd say I did more planning than most actually xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

It does not appear that you asked the right questions, especially the one you really should have asked: About things to do. It is rare to have done as much preparation as you claim to have done and ended up with a sucky vacation you could have had with no planning at all.

Did you start by asking yourself "What kind of a vacation do I want? What is important to me? What do I like to do?" instead of more general questions like "what's the best place to stay in...". Sorry, if I'm assuming too much but it seems that you were.

Edited by mrdome

It took me 3 trips over a couple of years before I really enjoyed Bangkok but even then 3 days is probably enough unless you're doing the party thing.

Samui is OK but a week is long enough unless you really just want to chill at the beach. I really enjoyed Lanta but went for only 2 nights (passed through Phi Phi but only for an hour or so which was enough).

For me 5-6 days in CM would be plenty.

I would have considered flying to Udon Thani and then song thaew up to Nong Khai if you had the energy. Not a lot to do in either place but are different and laid back places. I've been up there many times and have always had a good time.

I never stay in expensive hotels ($150 max and only if I know it's worth it from seeing it on a previous trip or from someone I trust) as the quality is too unreliable in Thailand. Stayed at lots of THB 1500/2000 a night places and they're usually good or at least very adequate.

Thailand isn't cheap like it used to be but I can't imagine spending as much as you have. In many cases mid to upper end places have first world prices at perhaps higher than third world quality but not what you pay for. I would expect most people who do reasonable planning know this.

• Like 1

I stay only in cheap hotel and like it.

I have been in kopangan too for 4 days and went with a scotter, road was very bad.... I falled, leg bleeding a little. Nothing bad.

I had to push the bike... Then I found a small room with the beach at 50 meters. Then I looked for food. And I walked along the beech.

I swim the day, stay with my lady, in the evening trying to find food around.

I got lot of fun. Before that we stay in another part of the island. It was very bad, road was terrible... . It was evening, all we got was a 300 bahts caban in the woods(was very bad) Roads were bad as well. Next day we tried to find to get food and we moved away

Anyway I liked it. All these 5 stars places are boring. My gf is always happy with crap places.

This is Thailand, suck it or leave it... You seem to be a madam!

Sounds like your expectations are different than the reality of Thailand. 1st - if you want nice beach time, don't visit in summer. December - March is best for the beach/diving/good weather experience. 2nd - doing "touristy" stuff, such as jet ski, parasailing, ziplines, white water rafting cost more money than walking around markets and looking at temples. In fact, most Thai do not do that kind of stuff as a rule. 3rd - fancy resorts are the same the world over and if you close your eyes, you have a hard time telling what city you're in. 4th - gear your expectations to what you enjoy doing the most. For me, I learned to dive on Koh Tao. Took a cooking course in Chiang Mai. and decided to retire in Chiang Mai because, like many less popular destinations of Thailand, it is more a reflection of the "real" Thailand - a country struggling to be a modern, civilized place that has a nice climate, plenty of good food(not imported) and tourists are only part of the equation. Maybe you tried to do too much in a short visit or you just expected to be entertained at a level to which you've become accustomed and Thailand did not meet those expectations. You may be happier in a sanitary environment, free from disappointment and discomfort. Austria, Switzerland and Las Vegas come to mind. Good luck with your next one!coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

There are many travel websites that say travel to Thailand during the rainy season is a pretty good deal. Rains don't last that long, and you do have some sunny days. On the other hand, it can rain cats and dogs for days and roads can be washed out. Hard to figure out who's opinion to believe!

We did Phuket a few years ago in August. Based on advice from several internet travel forums saying it was a good time to visit. Guess what? Rained pretty much every day, couldn't swim in the ocean, and our 1 week luxury resort was the room we hung out in. Not bad, but not a beach vacation. Luckily, they had great room service.

Generally speaking, enjoying the beach in summer is hit or miss. Storm activity is at much higher levels all over SE Asia (typhoons seldom occur in winter months.) I think that is why winter is "high season". You are right - a few years ago, I happened to be In Pattaya to enter a sports event. I had 2 great days on the beach as well.(In Sept, no less!) Comparing that to 30(January) days of fantastic beach weather in the Gulf of Thailand is what I was really speaking about. I think the OP just has expectation issues - like I said "a sanitary vacation" meeting all his many expectations may not be available here.

I would echo what has been said and that you didn’t research what to do/see especially as you were moving about you only had a few days in each place making a plan more important. I recently did a similar trip, 3 weeks and spent 5 days in BKK, 5 days CM, 5 Koh Samui, and few days in Cambodia visiting Angkor Wat.

IN Bangkok why did you pay $300 to go shooting if you don’t enjoy it? In my short time, I did a one day city tour by foot, visited main temples, spent time on Khao San Road, Shopping Malls (MBK/Siam Centre), Markets, NIGHTLIFE on soi 11-13, rooftop bar etc. No need to spend all that money on a 5* hotel which automatically puts your mind at justifying such a price, I stayed in modern rooms centrally for no more than $30 a night and didn’t pay more than $2-3 for food.

Koh Samui....yes it is touristy and busy but there are some great beaches e.g. crystal bay, mae nam, taling bay on the West Side. I did a diving trip, anthong marine park, massages on beach, watersports, rented scooter, day trip to koh tao. Yes taxis/restaurants are expensive but it’s an island and everything has to be shipped/flew in, every island in the world is like this..even the UK!! And if you would have researched you would have known this and used the red vans/songtheaws...who you can haggle to 100bhat for the chaweng to lamai route.

When you say KS/Lanta/Chang Mai are boring..what do you want a circus or theme park to make it exciting?? Koh Lanta is one of the nicest islands in Asia! Every place you went to would have had travel agents on every street corner offering day trips for $30-40 which you could have booked.

Honestly if you are going to Thailand and getting bored you have mental health problems, Thailand is flooded with tourist trails, activities and tours more so than any country iv ever visited and I can understand if this puts people off who want to get off the beaten path...but even then there are many unexplored caves, beaches and towns!