CBR 250 Rev Limit

KRS1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read through this thread and was left scratching my head, i have a cbr 250 but i really cant imagine why someone would go to all the trouble flashing stuff or stronger valve springs or different cams unless it was intended for racing, please enlighten me, would the bike be so different to ride after all this?

I have thought about an after market pipe but only if it would increase low down and midrange power? without me having to waste months of my life in conflict with the bib,

One thing i really need to change is the mirrors, not only do i find them quite big and somewhat ugly but really restrict my progress through the traffic jams, i need handle bar mirrors so i,m able to weave them between the car mirrors,

Any owners here with suggestions for both mirrors and aftermarket exhaust pipe?

Edited by tingtongfarang

Just to clarify my thoughts about aftermarket exhausts, As the young thai guys go past the house here i cringe with the noise they manage to get out a fino or whatever wrenching the gas open and closed dreaming they are infact changing gears, my feeling is a cross between embarrassment for them along with the fact its just annoying,

On the other hand there is a ducati monster which passes 2-3 times per day and i can feel his engine breathing as well as hear it then i might stop doing anything which makes a noise just to enjoy the ducati.

• Like 2

I read through this thread and was left scratching my head, i have a cbr 250 but i really cant imagine why someone would go to all the trouble flashing stuff or stronger valve springs or different cams unless it was intended for racing, please enlighten me, would the bike be so different to ride after all this?

Many people modify their bikes for fun or as a technical/engineering exercise. If they ride any differently afterwards it is only slightly. A nice sounding lumpy idle from a cam change sounds nice but also means that pulling away from traffic lights needs more revs etc. but some are prepared to put up with that. Gearing may not be perfect but again...

For some it is to extract the most from what they have regardless of what it is or simply a hobby.

Not all freer flowing exhausts have to be super loud, they can still be with say European regulations. But they are just a bit more expensive.

Just to clarify my thoughts about aftermarket exhausts, As the young thai guys go past the house here I cringe with the noise they manage to get out a fino or whatever wrenching the gas open and closed dreaming they are infact changing gears...

They are not pretending to change gears. Following local custom/folklore/habit the weights in their variator are too light and not balanced with the counter spring because local custom/folklore/habit says that lighter weights give better acceleration. This results in the engine being at maximum RPM at all times. They have no cruise mode. There are OK for 200m then... So the throttle acts like a switch. On/Off/On/Off all the time which is exactly what you are hearing.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I have thought about an after market pipe but only if it would increase low down and midrange power? without me having to waste months of my life in conflict with the bib,

One thing i really need to change is the mirrors, not only do i find them quite big and somewhat ugly but really restrict my progress through the traffic jams, i need handle bar mirrors so i,m able to weave them between the car mirrors,

I dont like any of the current exhaust on the market thats why id like to make one. All loud and sound like dirtbikes, im after weight reduction mainly The stock exhaust weighs 15 lbs 2 oz.

If there was a stock exhaust that was made out of aluminum, id buy it , but it doesnt exist.

If you want more low and mid go down one tooth on the front sprocket. After that youll only reach a top speed of around 150kph'ish.

Just fold the mirrors in, you can do that you know.

i think they are pretending to change gears and in their mind they ride an R1 or something like that. When I was 15 and bought my first scooter me and my pals did exactly the same.

Then at 19 i bought my first real motorbike and never looked back.

Many Thai boys (and men) never outgrow the scooter stage so will always pretend to shift lol

Edited by pokerkid

LOL...yeah its been in the back of my mind.

Im going to make a muffler (yes make one myself- ** insert laughter here) and go up 2mm on the second section of the downpipe and see what happens.

Just feel like tinkering right now.

Nothing wrong with tinkering & many love to do so

just for the fact of tinkering itself.

I will say that when designing a 4 stroke exhaust header section a lot of engineering is involved.

To increase & decrease pipes at different sections to get exhaust to flow at different speeds

& back pressures is not something that can be easily guessed.

also as others have said at that point only before & after dynos will tell you if you achieved or lost

in the process.

When I was young I designed many 2 stroke expansion chambers. But it was a bit easier than

4 stroke headers because a 2 Stroke had set formulas & explanations of what each of the three

main sections did. Meaning the front cone, the center section & the rear cone.

After that length of stinger & silencer was all that was really left. The header aside from running diameter

was a given as physically you usually had to tuck it all under the bike.

But again if tinkering for the fun of it then its all good.

But if it is just dollars & weight saved then there are some good ones out there made of titanium etc.

It will be hard to beat especially starting from scratch without the benefits of flow charts & engineering.

But.......tinkering can be fun smile.png

Edited by mania

ive made mufflers in the past, and have a relatively good grasp of what effects what in which areas.

not going in blind ! thumbsup.gif

Good Luck to you!

Keep us posted as it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I imagine a single cylinder is a bit more tolerant to design

but other than that know next to nothing about 4 stroke exhaust design smile.png

I read through this thread and was left scratching my head, i have a cbr 250 but i really cant imagine why someone would go to all the trouble flashing stuff or stronger valve springs or different cams unless it was intended for racing,  please enlighten me, would the bike be so different to ride after all this?

As far as I'm aware there are only about 3 pipes available were the manufacturer has got a T.I.S approval (Thai standard)

2 are the Japanese brands that Honda put on the special editions. Very expensive (28k) and the third is Tsukgi (made here in Thailand) the Tsukgi is a standard round pipe. Nothing special. But nice sound and only about 7-8k for full system.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I,m far from new to bikes and remember at one stage i must have really annoyed people with an LC 350 with expansion chambers but i did attempt to keep the noise levels down to keep peace with houses in my street when leaving or arriving..still my parents were told windows rattled,

the next experience of an aftermarket exhaust came at 20 years old when i bought a new kawasaki Z1000 A2 and within weeks had changed the exhaust for a 4 into 1 which was,nt loud unless really letting the engine rev and seemed to cause no conflict with the uk police, i also dumped the wire wheels for 3 spoke mags, around this time i became one of these all year round motorbike rally goers and thought nothing of riding very long distance in freezing temps then camping,

back at home in greece i still have an mz 250 military i picked up new in east germany and an xt 600 which has been totally abused for years and crashed off road countless times, i had short relationships with things like gpz 600r i used to jaunt around europe on but never got into customizing or tuning them really, i have had many other bikes including 2 boxer bmw models but came to the conclusion they were extremely good at long distance and apart from that boring,

since almost 9 years i have been riding a honda wave z model with hand clutch around bkk but all the time yearning for a bigger bike again, the fact i spend most my time in bkk stopped me thinking that getting through the traffic would,nt be so easy,

Since some weeks i have the cbr 250R, i really dont know what to think of this bike as it does all i want apart from not squeezing a way through traffic jams with ease, still there is something lacking in the experience that i cant put my finger on.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I,m far from new to bikes and remember at one stage i must have really annoyed people with an LC 350 with expansion chambers but i did attempt to keep the noise levels down to keep peace with houses in my street when leaving or arriving..still my parents were told windows rattled,

the next experience of an aftermarket exhaust came at 20 years old when i bought a new kawasaki Z1000 A2 and within weeks had changed the exhaust for a 4 into 1 which was,nt loud unless really letting the engine rev and seemed to cause no conflict with the uk police, i also dumped the wire wheels for 3 spoke mags, around this time i became one of these all year round motorbike rally goers and thought nothing of riding very long distance in freezing temps then camping,

back at home in greece i still have an mz 250 military i picked up new in east germany and an xt 600 which has been totally abused for years and crashed off road countless times, i had short relationships with things like gpz 600r i used to jaunt around europe on but never got into customizing or tuning them really, i have had many other bikes including 2 boxer bmw models but came to the conclusion they were extremely good at long distance and apart from that boring,

since almost 9 years i have been riding a honda wave z model with hand clutch around bkk but all the time yearning for a bigger bike again, the fact i spend most my time in bkk stopped me thinking that getting through the traffic would,nt be so easy,

Since some weeks i have the cbr 250R, i really dont know what to think of this bike as it does all i want apart from not squeezing a way through traffic jams with ease, still there is something lacking in the experience that i cant put my finger on.

I think whats lacking is that you are in BKK and not able to open her up while your stuck in traffic. I moved from BKK to CNX 4 years ago after 15 years in BKK and only wish i would have done it sooner ! Its biking paradise up here.

try and squeeze harder.

Has anyone successfully removed the rev limiter from the CBR 250, or atleast been able to up it by 1k rpm or more ?

Would really like it go a bit higher than 10.5k.

I ride a cbr, though not into such modifications..I know that in bkk certain shops do it. A friend of mine there owns a R6, got some similar stuff done on his bike that u are referring to.

Same month he got it seized because cops noticed that it was definitely not a stock bike.

Its your bike you do what you want with it but I would not suggest it for two reasons. First, as you have mentioned it could and probably would open a can of worms. Second, see above mentioned story. It is well known that cops here are after modified bikes.

My only mods on the bike were..I got the mirrors removed by my girl when she was mad at me.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

• Like 1

ive made mufflers in the past, and have a relatively good grasp of what effects what in which areas.

not going in blind ! thumbsup.gif

Good Luck to you!

Keep us posted as it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I imagine a single cylinder is a bit more tolerant to design

but other than that know next to nothing about 4 stroke exhaust design smile.png

will do...even if it sucks lol

first priority is to get rid of the percussion shock wink.png ... i want it quiet as possible, i actually like the sound of the stock muffler at peak, doesnt sound like a dirtbike like every other exhaust on the market right now.

i like quiet.

• Like 1

I think whats lacking is that you are in BKK and not able to open her up while your stuck in traffic. I moved from BKK to CNX 4 years ago after 15 years in BKK and only wish i would have done it sooner ! Its biking paradise up here.

try and squeeze harder.

Some years ago i loaned a 750 honda four from a friend and rode from bkk to meahongson...yes the roads up there were fantastic i agree, what i meant with the cbr 250 experience is when rob blok got his kawasaki 650 and dropped by he gave me the keys and i was off for a while...first thing i noticed, everything fell straight to hand and foot...felt almost like an old friend, not so with the cbr...maybe it just takes more time.

I dont like any of the current exhaust on the market thats why id like to make one. All loud and sound like dirtbikes, im after weight reduction mainly The stock exhaust weighs 15 lbs 2 oz.

What style and sound do you want? It's single so bound to sound somewhat like a dirt bike! You want ultra light or under slung or...

There are so many available in all shapes and sizes. A light weight stock looking one would be good, like the old Lambretta ones of old. But I think the bulk of CBR riders, being young, want bling and loud.

i want it quiet as possible, i actually like the sound of the stock muffler at peak, doesnt sound like a dirtbike like every other exhaust on the market right now.

i like quiet.

I also like quiet per se'

But my main reason is the way I ride when riding for sport/fun is always at or above 10k rpm

so even something that sounds initially ok can get very obnoxious when ridden at high rpm constantly.

Thus making it hard to find a street can that sounds ok when sport riding.

Of course if it was a track bike no problems.

Like you I also do actually appreciate the sound of the stock muffler when pushed

The N250 has straight cut gears & sounds very nice hearing that whir when decelerating or descending.

Edited by mania

try and squeeze harder.

Some years ago i loaned a 750 honda four from a friend and rode from bkk to meahongson...yes the roads up there were fantastic i agree, what i meant with the cbr 250 experience is when rob blok got his kawasaki 650 and dropped by he gave me the keys and i was off for a while...first thing i noticed, everything fell straight to hand and foot...felt almost like an old friend, not so with the cbr...maybe it just takes more time.

are you a big guy? The cbr is kinda a small bike, with vastly different ergonomics than the kawa 650.

To me the cbr felt at home and the kawa 650 alien....lol

What style and sound do you want? It's single so bound to sound somewhat like a dirt bike! You want ultra light or under slung or...

There are so many available in all shapes and sizes. A light weight stock looking one would be good, like the old Lambretta ones of old. But I think the bulk of CBR riders, being young, want bling and loud.

quiet style , stock sound would be fine.

i want it quiet as possible, i actually like the sound of the stock muffler at peak, doesnt sound like a dirtbike like every other exhaust on the market right now.

i like quiet.

I also like quiet per se'

But my main reason is the way I ride when riding for sport/fun is always at or above 10k rpm

so even something that sounds initially ok can get very obnoxious when ridden at high rpm constantly.

Thus making it hard to find a street can that sounds ok when sport riding.

Of course if it was a track bike no problems.

Like you I also do actually appreciate the sound of the stock muffler when pushed

The N250 has straight cut gears & sounds very nice hearing that whir when decelerating or descending.

i dont think any of the aftermarket pipes have any kind of first stage chamber to stop the initial percussion. So basicly i want to aim at making a chamber to stop that first blast and then a straight through design, but with a few tricks along the way.

I dont think any of the aftermarket pipes have any kind of first stage chamber to stop the initial percussion. So basically i want to aim at making a chamber to stop that first blast and then a straight through design, but with a few tricks along the way.

Scorpion does on their Serket Taper Silencers & I think Leo Vince does on the LV Euro approved exhausts

If you look at part #3 in this Scorpion install, I *think* that is what does it for them.

Scorpion by the way has an almost identical DB level as stock yet has HP increases

Their race install pdf leaves that part#3 out of the install.

Also note they install that small baffle in the connecting pipe then insert pipe into can

I also think the LV has something similar to insert between pipe & silencer on theirs except LV gives you various sizes/amounts of restriction to choose from

BTW: When you say 1st chamber I think that is also why slip-ons are always quieter than full systems as the Cat

still induces quite a bit of restriction or at least the EU rated ones do.

Edited by mania

try and squeeze harder.

are you a big guy? The cbr is kinda a small bike, with vastly different ergonomics than the kawa 650.

really i,m not a big guy and the cbr does,nt feel either over or undersized for me, i feel the cbr is quite big for a 250, it already had rearsets fitted, when i got this bike many things the thais had their fingers around i had to fix, you could say they had repaired it broken, but some hours in my workshop and circa 400 baht everything was back to how it should be, or how it should have been done,

rearsets were not possible to get tight as the threaded part was too long so both the rear brake and gear change were hanging loose, 16th of an inch off and that was ok,

wiring along with a kind of cigarette lighter socket and plug for a garmin had been done but wired direct to the battery so it was live full time, the cables for this had just been twisted together bound with insulting tape,

i made the cables new but soldering any connections and used shrink tube along with wiring it to the ignition so it is only live when turned on with no small diodes burning under the seat 24/7/365, not thai bashing but everything the thais had there fingers on had been for want of a better word ...thaid,

many people would not notice these things but i,m a person who just cant live with that, i felt secure in the fact that as the bike only had circa 4000km these fingers had,nt reached anything major.

When i had the cbr 150 i purchased a tsukigi KRK series muffler that looked just like stock. In that exhaust they moved the first chamber closer by about 1 cm and placed a ring with holes in it about 2 cm back from the opening.

The difference between that and stock was stronger low end and mid, but lost 5kph off the top. I assume that ring was added to increase back pressure a slight bit to fine tune it. Im pretty sure that if Tsukigi had beveled the inlet to the secondary chamber the top speed would have stayed the same, things were getting to turbulent and didnt flow efficiently at higher rpms.

In another bike, i gutted the exhaust and took out all chambers leaving an empty tube and ran a straight pipe. First pipe was the usual perforated tubing, second attempt was a regular solid pipe but with notches bent down into the tube to create a bit of resistance for back pressure. The perforated tubing i crimped in various sections to see what the effects were. In almost all instances the farther back i crimped the more effect it had on top end speed. The closer to the front i crimped the more effect it had on low and midrange power.

For sure its one big balancing act ! This time around i want to add a chamber to kill the percussion and do some beveling to aid flow, plus some crimps in the right places.

cant load your pdf, its coming up as corrupt on my end.

really i,m not a big guy and the cbr does,nt feel either over or undersized for me, i feel the cbr is quite big for a 250, it already had rearsets fitted, when i got this bike many things the thais had their fingers around i had to fix, you could say they had repaired it broken, but some hours in my workshop and circa 400 baht everything was back to how it should be, or how it should have been done,

rearsets were not possible to get tight as the threaded part was too long so both the rear brake and gear change were hanging loose, 16th of an inch off and that was ok,

wiring along with a kind of cigarette lighter socket and plug for a garmin had been done but wired direct to the battery so it was live full time, the cables for this had just been twisted together bound with insulting tape,

i made the cables new but soldering any connections and used shrink tube along with wiring it to the ignition so it is only live when turned on with no small diodes burning under the seat 24/7/365, not thai bashing but everything the thais had there fingers on had been for want of a better word ...thaid,

many people would not notice these things but i,m a person who just cant live with that, i felt secure in the fact that as the bike only had circa 4000km these fingers had,nt reached anything major.

You still have rearsets on it? When i first got my bike there was some no name fuel injection trim module hard wired (taped) into the ECU harness...pulled it and resoldered and bike ran much better.

When i had the cbr 150 i purchased a tsukigi KRK series muffler that looked just like stock. In that exhaust they moved the first chamber closer by about 1 cm and placed a ring with holes in it about 2 cm back from the opening.

The difference between that and stock was stronger low end and mid, but lost 5kph off the top. I assume that ring was added to increase back pressure a slight bit to fine tune it. Im pretty sure that if Tsukigi had beveled the inlet to the secondary chamber the top speed would have stayed the same, things were getting to turbulent and didnt flow efficiently at higher rpms.

In another bike, i gutted the exhaust and took out all chambers leaving an empty tube and ran a straight pipe. First pipe was the usual perforated tubing, second attempt was a regular solid pipe but with notches bent down into the tube to create a bit of resistance for back pressure. The perforated tubing i crimped in various sections to see what the effects were. In almost all instances the farther back i crimped the more effect it had on top end speed. The closer to the front i crimped the more effect it had on low and midrange power.

For sure its one big balancing act ! This time around i want to add a chamber to kill the percussion and do some beveling to aid flow, plus some crimps in the right places.

cant load your pdf, its coming up as corrupt on my end.

pdf worked for me but frowned when i realised it was for the sawakakismile.png

You still have rearsets on it? When i first got my bike there was some no name fuel injection trim module hard wired (taped) into the ECU harness...pulled it and resoldered and bike ran much better.

the rearsets are an aftermarket product that had been fitted when i bought it...i have no idea how the standard setup looks but once all was installed properly i feel happy with them.