I have found my new addiction

2unique

"The right kind of beetroot...?"

I don't understand your confusion... and you must be very confused as you had to highlight the statement????

As a beetroot lover, allow me to explain....the type of sliced beetroot used on burgers is preserved sliced beetroot, which comes in dozens of different brands all with unique flavours. If it's too sour it can spoil the burger. The only sliced beetroot I see for sale in Pattaya right now is the German brand "Hainich", which I would consider to tart to use on a burger.

"If it's too sour it can spoil the burger."

Not confused, matey. But, you'll never see an American (home of the best burgers on earth!) eatin' anything like that! We figure, any beetroot's gonna spoil any burger! But, never mind, to each his own... go for it!

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

I tried it, dont expect miracles, a salami sandwich beats it any day,

as does a bacon sandwich on subway, while the latter two also comes at half the cost.

I've never had a Subway I liked yet! I find them too "wet" to enjoy the bread and the meats used taste cheap and processed.

But too each their own...

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

• Like 1

I don't understand your confusion... and you must be very confused as you had to highlight the statement????

As a beetroot lover, allow me to explain....the type of sliced beetroot used on burgers is preserved sliced beetroot, which comes in dozens of different brands all with unique flavours. If it's too sour it can spoil the burger. The only sliced beetroot I see for sale in Pattaya right now is the German brand "Hainich", which I would consider to tart to use on a burger.

Edgells is the only one for a burger.

edgell_sliced_beetroot_425g.jpg

I agree, but where can you buy this in Pattaya?

I agree, but where can you buy this in Pattaya?

No idea to be honest, mine (like a lot of things) comes direct from OZ.

I had the the "Aussie Kitchen Sink Burger" from the Lion Pub last night, had the usual suspects on board (bacon/cheese/egg/pineapple/beetroot/tomato/lettuce/fried onion). was ok but nothing compared to my local <deleted> shop back home.

Edited by Spoonman

"If it's too sour it can spoil the burger."

Not confused, matey. But, you'll never see an American (home of the best burgers on earth!) eatin' anything like that! We figure, any beetroot's gonna spoil any burger! But, never mind, to each his own... go for it!

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.jz1nB6CMOI.png

There certainly was confusion as we were discussing the Oz Burger as depicted earlier in the thread.

Anyway, you've learnt something about beetroot.smile.png

Americans put ALL kinds of things on their burgers. I like the idea of beetroot on them. How did that happen in Australia? Strong beetroot industry lobby? coffee1.gif

http://static.shopify.com/s/files/1/0147/1442/t/1/assets/Food_Menu_2-13.pdf

Go to page 4.

For examples:

FAT ELVIS 10.50
Slathered with a King-sized helpin’ of smooth
peanut butter, bacon, and fried bananas. Now
that’s what we call Takin’ Care of Business.

YOKOHAMA MAMA 9.50
Topped with teriyaki glaze, jack cheese, and a
ring of grilled pineapple. Kono hanbāgā wa,
sekkusu yori mo sugurete imasu, bitches!
Edited by Jingthing

No idea to be honest, mine (like a lot of things) comes direct from OZ.

I had the the "Aussie Kitchen Sink Burger" from the Lion Pub last night, had the usual suspects on board (bacon/cheese/egg/pineapple/beetroot/tomato/lettuce/fried onion). was ok but nothing compared to my local <deleted> shop back home.

They used to stock Watties beetroot here but I haven't seen it in years. That's pretty close to Edgells in flavour.

Americans put ALL kinds of things on their burgers. I like the idea of beetroot on them. How did that happy in Australia? Strong beetroot industry lobby? coffee1.gif

http://static.shopify.com/s/files/1/0147/1442/t/1/assets/Food_Menu_2-13.pdf

The Australian Burger King menu (called "Hungry Jacks" in Oz) has a burger called the Aussie Burger. That's the only one which has beetroot.... so there must be plenty of Australians who prefer their burgers without beetroot. McDonalds does extremely well in Oz too... and they don't have beetroot.

I grew up on beetroot. My Dutch mother always made it for us - we were never without a jar in the fridge. It's a European thing which made it's way to Australia.

Edited by tropo

Watties is a New Zealand brand

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, but it joined the great Kiwi migration to Australia. What the Kiwis call "the big OE".

I saw some tins of beetroot at Yorkies shop on Chaiyaphreuk yesterday. Didn't check them out, though. Seemed to be only a few.

Watties is a New Zealand brand

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah, but it joined the great Kiwi migration to Australia. What the Kiwis call "the big OE".

I saw some tins of beetroot at Yorkies shop on Chaiyaphreuk yesterday. Didn't check them out, though. Seemed to be only a few.

I believe she pickles her own - so should be to UK standards (yes the UK has standards, possibly high)

Driving up to Soi Buakaew from Soi Dianna I noticed on the corner a burger joint which looked quite enticing. Later that night I decided to go get me one but instead settled for a Roast Beef Roll - with onions and gravy.

I cannot praise it highly enough - having only been in Pattaya for 3 months my favourite after drinks chaser was a Nana Burger (sadly gone downhill) but now Oz Burger's tucker will have me returning to LK, Leng Kee and Buakaew more often than the bars could ever.

http://ozburgers.com/

Thanks matey, I'd driven past this place to our condo a couple of times but never got round to trying it. Fen kawng phom and I walked up to give them a bash, and they have to be one of the best we'd had anywhere. The also added bonus of being able to sit on a bar stool on Soi Diana and the watch the cross roads craziness whilst imbibing on a massive burger is worthy of note.

For those taking a trip to Bangkok can I recommend Bourbon Street (just across from Ekimae bus station) which is a fantastic oyster bar and grill and have into opinion one of the best blue cheese burgers in the world.

post-186379-13781025932389_thumb.jpg

(Wife's expression is as a result of the meat sweats I think?)

"No, I work here and my wife is English. I don't want a pingpong show and I'm *not* Russian."

I love beetroot but excuse me, but why would anyone of any nationality want to put beetroot on a burger?

Very curious.

I love beetroot but excuse me, but why would anyone of any nationality want to put beetroot on a burger?

Very curious.

That really is one of the dumbest questions anyone has ever asked.... trolling for an argument perhaps?

• Like 1

I don't think he is looking for an argument, rather highlighting cutural differences across the gobe. I am well aware that Australian's use beetroot in burgers, I don't know if any other nation does, and the last time I ever saw beetroot on the table was at my grandmother's house in 1973, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. As I mentioned before, friends of mine, north of England, always want beetroot with cottage pie, someting I never experienced down south.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't think he is looking for an argument, rather highlighting cutural differences across the gobe. I am well aware that Australian's use beetroot in burgers, I don't know if any other nation does, and the last time I ever saw beetroot on the table was at my grandmother's house in 1973, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. As I mentioned before, friends of mine, north of England, always want beetroot with cottage pie, someting I never experienced down south.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's the height of ignorance to question or criticize another's food preferences.... except maybe human fetuses, which are popular in China.

... and regarding beetroot in burgers and Australians - not all Australians take beetroot in their burgers. It's usually an additional extra for people who like it.

Very curious.

That really is one of the dumbest questions anyone has ever asked.... trolling for an argument perhaps?

Seriously, just never seen or heard of beetroot on a burger. Is it an Oz thing?

Very curious.

yes.

Very curious.

I put beetroot on sandwiches too... egg sandwiches, roast beef sandwiches etc...and I'm of Dutch origin,.

Lesson - just because other people eat things you don't, doesn't mean it's unusual or strange. Open your eyes and have a look at the weird stuff Thais eat, for example.

What you consider normal would seem weird to others.

Wake up - it's a big world out there where people eat things you don't..... and this is an international forum. I've always considered it bad manners to make disparaging comments or innuendos about what other people eat.

My wife and her family often eat stuff I don't even like the smell of - and I don't utter a word. I understand they enjoy it and I'm happy to see them enjoying it. My wife doesn't like a lot of the food I eat too - it goes both ways. I even cook food for my wife that I don't eat myself.

You could also try some good beetroot on your next burger - you just never know, you may like it. How would you even know if you haven't tried it. It can add a nice tangy flavour to a burger and provide a good balance to the high fat content of most burgers... much as lemon is often used with fish & chips.

Edited by tropo