Van crash kills nine in Chachoengsao, Thailand

webfact

Van crash kills nine in central Thailand

CHACHOENGSAO: -- Nine people were killed when a van crashed into a parked 10-wheel truck early Monday, Thai police said.

Five people were injured in the accident shortly before dawn in Chachoengsao province, 70 kilometres east of Bangkok, Police Lieutenant Pongsak Inpong said.

The van smashed into a truck parked in the emergency lane after attempting to pass a vehicle and swerving too far back to avoid an oncoming car in the opposite lane, Pongsak said.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_08_26/Van-crash-kills-nine-in-central-Thailand-3554/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-08-26

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RT @191thailand: 5:30am A passenger van heading to Bangkok crashed into the rear of a truck in Chachoengsao. 9 dead & 7 injured.

RT @191thailand: The passenger van was heading to Minburi. 6 males & 3 females died in the accident in Chachoengsao.

I travel in that area at least twice a week. There are a lot of accidents. My condolences to the family and friends of the victims. May the injured make a speedy recovery.

Did the driver survive?

I travel in that area at least twice a week. There are a lot of accidents. My condolences to the family and friends of the victims. May the injured make a speedy recovery.

Did the driver survive?

According to the Thai press, he survived with serious injuries, and so cannot give a statement.

The cops arrested the lorry driver instead.

There were 16 people in the van - 9 dead, 7 injured.

We shouldn't pre-empt the investigation,

Why not?

"but I think everyone can guess what happened. A strutting little big man who thinks the sun shines out of his a... decides he wants to get to his destination quickly, and so his passengers' safety becomes irrelevant.

Oh you did any way.....

I am not racists BUT......

But what? Heavily-loaded (overloaded?) van, maybe poor suspension, early-morning fatigue, a truck (by convention - but legally?) parked in the emergency lane (shoulder?), an overreaction (oversteer) by a tired driver. Van roulette with bad odds. My odds-maker says the driver didn't survive (Scott) - but apparently he did beat the odds (update).

Condolences to all and a speedy recovery for the survivors.

Edited by MaxYakov

If there is one thing I hate its those idiots that come over to your lane and expect you to get out of their way so they can overtake. They do this in blind corners hills ect. Without a police doing some serious policing and just fining motorbikes for not being in the death lane eh i mean left lane. It would be good to see the police do some serious policing and seriously fine guys like that a few 1000 bt.

• Like 1

so Stoping on the Emergency lane is a crime now ? great !

16 peoples in a bus licensed for 9 seems to be just fine ...

Blue plate !! not even a commercial vehicle. in the public transportation sense.

as usual, nothing makes any sense.

well i stop use public transportation a long time ago for exactly that reason(s),

bus only if i can see the driver, i skip out of serval minibuses in bkk already because the driver had cleary a death wish.

and all his problem where not at all i did complain his driving (even all the other passengers did agree)

they only did care that i did not pay for 10% of the distance driven.

after seeing the video of about 10 charred corpses being pulled from a minivan crash between pattaya and bkk a few months ago it made me a bit weary of vans.

last time i was in one crammed in like a sardine i tried to imagine what i would do if the vehicle crashed and caught fire. truth is there is your chances would be slim.

- driver always locks the doors from his control panel in the front (anyone know why?)

- windows don't slide open far enough for anyone to get out

so your option would be

- to try to scramble for the front door and hope to god it's not locked

-unlock the doors via control panel in front

- break a window

car windows do not break easy.

scrambling for an exit in a van overloaded with luggage and panicked/injured people that is rapidly turning into a incinerator with no way out i think would be an incredibly bad way to die.

Why on earth do drivers insist on locking the doors with the controls in the front all the time? It's not like carjacking is rampant or likely to happen on the trip between pattaya and bangkok!

I don't get minivans anymore only bus. buses arn't exactly safe either but I feel they are better than the above scenario and less overloaded

• Like 1

Sickening - the whole van-crash saga, from the day I first arrived in Thailand in 2010 until now. How many?

But will Thais do anything about it? ....

I will never forget the first ex gf replying to my expression of concern about a news item photo, showing a mangled van and dead bodies, with pools of vehicle and human fluids. She said, referring to the photo: "Why you worry? Is it Takhli van?" Speechless with bewilderment, I retreated.

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 1

Did the driver survive?

According to the Thai press, he survived with serious injuries, and so cannot give a statement.

IN Channel news at 1200hrs said the driver told police he did not see the lorry and ran into it but it was described as an 18 wheeler. Lots to be considered, it was 0540hrs so still not full daylight, lights or otherwise on the truck and what the van driver was doing.

Another tragedy.

RIP those lost and hopes for a speedy recovery for those injured.

This has become so familiar to me living here that it just doesn't shock me anymore; kind of just wake up expecting the next one. Very sad situation.

howver

The only time that I will be concerned is when it is someone 'near and dear' to me.

As for the rest of the population if they are not concerned about their own safety why exactly should I be. coffee1.gif

I am uncertain if the "rest of the population" is not concerned about their own safety as I haven't seen any research done on the Thai drivers as a whole. I am concerned about everyone's safety, particularly my own when either driving or on foot.

I have seen some very safe drivers in Thailand which is not often mentioned. The reckless ones, however, stand out by their brazen acts of carelessness which can hardly go unnoticed.

Driving habits seems to have improved over the twenty years from my observation. This may be offset by the sheer increase in traffic and the "Time is money" attitude.

Just noticed that the OP article is from Russian media. Good that the word is getting out. Too bad the article is so brief, with no reference to how common these mini-van accidents are.

• Like 1