Tourism revenues could offset declining export revenues

webfact

Tourism revenues could offset declining export revenues
By English News

13775876959091.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 27 - Tourist destinations in Thailand, if developed before the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) takes place in 2015, will help the Thai economy to survive when the country's exports decline.

University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) International Trade Center director Att Pisarnvanich spoke of an analysis on the situation and said the potential of Thailand's tourism competition would be fierce in the top-three ASEAN countries which tourists visited most last year --Malaysia (25 million), Thailand (22 million), and Singapore (14 million), according to the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).

Dr Att said even though Thailand would be ready in terms of resources and provision of good services in 2015, safety issues are still a factor for travellers as well Thailand's unstable domestic politics.

He believed Malaysia would still be the top destination in terms of tourist arrivals in ASEAN countries, while Myanmar is to be closely monitored, for the country was expected to have the highest expansion of the tourist figure in ASEAN at 38 per cent in 2015 and 57 per cent
in 2020.

Dr Att said Thailand must speed up managing its resources, as well as improve safety readiness, communications system, provision of high-speed internet, and an improved transportation and logistics system. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-08-27

So long as Thailand has an agreeable climate, winsome fillies and cheap piss there will be a booming tourism industry. A xenophobic and offensive government, greedy corrupt police force and arcane visa regulations can not dampen tourists enthusiasm for a jolly time spunking their cash once a year. The world gets smaller with other tourist hotspots like Egypt going down the toilet, tourists have to go somewhere.

• Like 2

A vast amount of revenue is taken by the police in one way or another, secondly get corruption stopped as this is where most of Thailands money is filtered away.

When posters put the argument about tourism is a big earner, the other fools come back with stats to say it's only a small part earner, if this is so how can this little earner offset the DIVE in exports ????

• Like 1

I have often wondered how many Thai people live off of let us say 1 billion baht in tourism

As compared to how many people live off 1 billion baht in exports.

Just curious It is easy to throw around numbers with out really having any real meaning in them.

Just for a change of pace I would like to hear facts about the entire population not just money.

There is no doubt in my mind that the average people living off the export baht live better than the ones on the average living off the tourist baht. But which group is the largest?

Thailand with it's easy visa system will always be a hot spot. Get of the plane and get a 30 day visa. Plenty of time for most tourists. Also not that hard to extend. Now if you are talking about living here and working here year round that is another ball game. Being on a retirement visa I find it an easy game to play. Mind you I qualify no dishonesty needed.

Just dedicate one day a year to getting it.

• Like 2

So long as Thailand has an agreeable climate, winsome fillies and cheap piss there will be a booming tourism industry. A xenophobic and offensive government, greedy corrupt police force and arcane visa regulations can not dampen tourists enthusiasm for a jolly time spunking their cash once a year. The world gets smaller with other tourist hotspots like Egypt going down the toilet, tourists have to go somewhere.

Difficult to argue with that.

The dropping baht helps too.

Gai yang, Som tum, khao niaow, chang and a winsome lass with 10% off

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this called clutching at straws,ok Exports are down ,but we still have the goose

that lays the golden eggs,just as long as theres no strife things should be OK ,we

hope.as we need more money to support the rubber farmers,as well as the rice

growers.

regards worgeordie

For years Thailand claimed tourism makes up tiny 6% of GDP, now all over sudden Thailand claims tourism is big enough to supplement exports?

Either someone is not too good with a calculator or some likes to talk porkies

Well it never is quite that simple. Tourism has a very high multiplier effect and feeds myriad service industries so it's probably more than 6%.

For years Thailand claimed tourism makes up tiny 6% of GDP, now all over sudden Thailand claims tourism is big enough to supplement exports?

See #3 ginjag. agree, my post says the same.

someone is talking porkies, TAT has a big shout with only 6%.....and it gets a 6 billion bht yearly budget.

• Like 2

Well it never is quite that simple. Tourism has a very high multiplier effect and feeds myriad service industries so it's probably more than 6%.

How much gets recorded on the books and in cash registers?

How much gets paid in cash to dusky maidens?

The Grey economy here is probably bigger than the published one

• Like 2

Exactly. Plenty of cash business in Thai tourism

But not to go into Thai stuff eh. Just pockets of a few and it seems not Thai nationals.

Thailand tourism is an illusion, the golden beaches are really cess pits, the friendly smile hide the violence and rip offs, the cheap destination reputation is a cover for the overpricing and double pricing and the veneer of TAT covers the myriad of criminal organisations feeding off the tourist. If Thailand want to achieve their goal of an upmarket tourist destination they have a lot of work to do, or else they should be content to be the backpacker and sex tourist destination of choice, the Mexico of the middle east. However, there is always the Chinese and Russians for as long as their economies hold.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

See #3 ginjag. agree, my post says the same.

someone is talking porkies, TAT has a big shout with only 6%.....and it gets a 6 billion bht yearly budget.

No doubt the Thai economy needs tourism and most definitely so does the publicity machine.

As soon as there's a problem or potential problem in almost any sector we are told tourist numbers are up.

• Like 1

But not to go into Thai stuff eh. Just pockets of a few and it seems not Thai nationals.

Huh? Never seen to many multinationals selling food under the trees on the beach? Minivans, laundries, apartments. Just think of everything that goes on in a resort, and what a tiny amount gets swallowed by foreign companies?

The problem with relying on tourism is twofold. One is the effect of factors outside the tourist industries control, such as natural disasters, political turmoil, financial set backs in the target markets etc.

The other is the internet. There's a growing body of anti Thai feeling on internet forums. Every day sees a new horror story or calamity. There's going to be a cause celebre story soon enough that will turn people against visiting here.

The Swedish market dropped dramatically according to the last figures i saw, there are multiple reasons why but one given was Thailand fatigue, people are recognizing it's not the place it once was.

Thailand will find out soon enough that the Internet is not it's friend.

Nah. They'll just do a "Lost in Thailand II" movie in China and they'll come in droves (again). Or a "The Beach, Redux".

It's gotta be true if you see it in the movies, right?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Could be that export revenues will decline even farther as the US has rejected a shipment of Thai rice

The shipment of 32,000kg of rice was rejected by a US importer on Aug 8 and was sent back to Thailand.

Reason given ; It had a bad smell.

Could be that export revenues will decline even farther as the US has rejected a shipment of Thai rice

The shipment of 32,000kg of rice was rejected by a US importer on Aug 8 and was sent back to Thailand.

Reason given ; It had a bad smell.

Where did you find this little chestnut?

Somewhere that shall not be mentioned.

Man, that is ONE truckload of rice. A tiny amount.

Its not the amount that matters its the fact that it has been rejected.

Do you think that's going to foster confidence in the quality of Thai rice?

I would imagine all rice importers in the US will know about this.

Combine it with the Ivory Coast, having to dump some of what they bought and now they dont want any more, they were the 5th biggest customer.

Iraq suspending buying for 2 years and China not taking up a MOA they signed 2 years ago and things are looking pretty grim.

That's without even mentioning that the latest round of auctions for new seasons crops failed to sell the majority of what was offered.

And yea, did you know that Thailand is the 4th biggest export market for Cambodian rice?

That's the official legal market not the cross border smuggling.

• Like 1

Somewhere that shall not be mentioned.

Man, that is ONE truckload of rice. A tiny amount.

Its not the amount that matters its the fact that it has been rejected.

Do you think that's going to foster confidence in the quality of Thai rice?

I would imagine all rice importers in the US will know about this.

Combine it with the Ivory Coast, having to dump some of what they bought and now they dont want any more, they were the 5th biggest customer.

Iraq suspending buying for 2 years and China not taking up a MOA they signed 2 years ago and things are looking pretty grim.

That's without even mentioning that the latest round of auctions for new seasons crops failed to sell the majority of what was offered.

And yea, did you know that Thailand is the 4th biggest export market for Cambodian rice?

That's the official legal market not the cross border smuggling.

Got to keep in good books with a neighbour of similar democratic stylewhistling.gif

And by the way, I saw in the treasury report the other day that one of the factors (income) quoted in helping the Thai economy in the coming quarters was "When Iraq paid for the 250k tons of rice they have bought"

So it seem as well as, not going to buy any more, Iraq has not as yet paid for the last lot they bought.

Could be a number of reasons for this................................................

Roll in the tourists.

But they will have to fly because the roads and rail are closed by the rubber farmers.

The problem with relying on tourism is twofold. One is the effect of factors outside the tourist industries control, such as natural disasters, political turmoil, financial set backs in the target markets etc.

The other is the internet. There's a growing body of anti Thai feeling on internet forums. Every day sees a new horror story or calamity. There's going to be a cause celebre story soon enough that will turn people against visiting here.

The Swedish market dropped dramatically according to the last figures i saw, there are multiple reasons why but one given was Thailand fatigue, people are recognizing it's not the place it once was.

Thailand will find out soon enough that the Internet is not it's friend.

You say

"One is the effect of factors outside the tourist industries control, such as natural disasters, political turmoil, financial set backs in the target markets etc. "

This has been happening for years and yet the industry continues to grow. It is also happening in many countries. Nothing new there.

"The other is the internet."

I will have to take your word for that as I do not follow lots of different forums.

I do think the Swedish example is a bad one to use. It is a small country with only a limited number of travelers and it would be easy for many of them to tire of Thailand. consider the population of Sweden if 10% are travelers and 50% choose not to come back to Thailand how many people are we talking about.

Plus there might be some new travlers who want to come to Thailand.

On the other hand we have China if one tires of Thailand there are two to take their place. Also on the internet a newbie can easily be fooled but an experienced traveler knows that what is shown and said on the internet is either being edited to make it look the best they can or edited to make it look the worst they can.

A friend of mine back home sent me a video of the city I lived in for twenty years. I looked at it and was highly impressed. How ever I had lived there for 20 years and knew many parts they had left out that would not give the impression they wanted to give of the city. It was far from a balanced view of the city much as many of the posts here on TV are. It is a rare thing to get a balanced point of view. Experienced travelers know this and act accordingly. Some just get tired of the same scenery and want a change. The internet has nothing to do with it they have been there and know the truth. They just want a change.

The next solar ejection that takes place will interact with the curved air force theorem and interject a resonance vibration in of the stuff that comes out of the behind of a Very Large Bull ... and THAT is what will save any offset lost in a quagmire of managerial malfeasance .whistling.gif

When they start talking of one sector helping to cover the loss of another sector, it may prove that they know they are in trouble? they just aren't prepared to admit it yet if ever. But it is not the way to run fiscal policy.