"Royal Thai Consulate Hull visa application requirement changes August 2013"

Here is the email I recently sent to RTCH.

I have received no reply.

Any one know the answers here??

Dear Royal Thai Consulate Hull,

Regarding the changes made to requirements for visas on 1st August 2013.

I will be in the UK during November 2013, and was hoping to qualify for another 1 year multiple entry O visa.

My concerns, regarding the differences from requirements for this visa compared to last year, relate to the amount shown in my account now being 800,000TB; as opposed to £20,000 last year; and the address of applicant being shown on the statement, and that address being the same as the "present address" as shown on the visa application form.

For several years now I have spent most of my time in Thailand, in the house I share with my friend here.

As such, the address I have with the Yorkshire Building Society is the house in Thailand. The actual account, being held in the UK, is an internet based, sterling account.

So, my questions are; can the 800,000 TB requirement be an equivalent amount in Sterling?

and

Is it acceptable for me to have a "present address"; as stated on my visa application form; in Thailand?

When in the UK I will be staying with my daughters family, and would use that address as the "address for return of passport".

I attach an example of what I would attempt to use as "evidence of sufficient funds" in my November visa application. As an internet based account, I do not receive a printed statement. I have printed the statement from my account whilst on-line, as I did for you last year.

Would this be acceptable as such?

My passport number is XXXXXXXXXX, and I have had several visas issued from RTCH in the past.

I trust this request for clarification is in order, and I await your reply with interest.

Anybody got any clues here, 'cas I'm baffled!

I am not surprised you have not yet received a reply.smile.png

Your letter is not easy to understand.

On what basis are you requesting a multiple entry "O" visa ?

If you have 800,000 in a Thai bank you could easily qualify for an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage.

£20,000 is approx 900.000bht so I do not understand your issue with Hull.

The issue of multi entry visas via UK Thai consulates has been tightened up and the "rules" are being (I understand) rigorously applied.

Of course I wish you well but feel that perhaps a mountain is being made out of a mole hill .

Hi jrtmedic, many thanks for your prompt reply.

I do indeed sometimes "over egg" a situation, and find it all too easy to get involved with "mountain building" when trying to get my head round latest regs etc here in Thailand.

Guilty as charged I'm afraid!

Anyway, I guess my main concerns are regarding the address on the YBS account being in Thailand, when I'm applying for a visa from the UK, and the amount required for that visa now being expressed as an amount in Thai Baht.

To answer your questions,

Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over.

If you have 800,000 in a Thai bank you could easily qualify for an extension of stay based on retirement or marriage.

Yep, I could do that (again), but am currently still "holding my breath" on that, in the hope the sterling exchange rate may improve soon.

I known what you're saying here, and it would have been great if the words "sterling equivalent" could have appeared on the form anywhere!

The issue of multi entry visas via UK Thai consulates has been tightened up and the "rules" are being (I understand) rigorously applied.

Certainly looks that way, same game but different rules eh?

Mabe I'll get a reply from RTCH this week; after they've got a reply from London!

Cheers

I think they changed it to Thai baht instead of pounds so that it is not locked into an exchange rate that does change. I am sure they accept pounds that equal the required amount in baht based on the current exchange rate.

I would not worry about the address's not matching as long as home address used is in the UK.

For an extension you probably could get an income letter based upon savings from the UK embassy;

Edited by ubonjoe

Hi jrtmedic, many thanks for your prompt reply.

I do indeed sometimes "over egg" a situation, and find it all too easy to get involved with "mountain building" when trying to get my head round latest regs etc here in Thailand.

Guilty as charged I'm afraid!

Anyway, I guess my main concerns are regarding the address on the YBS account being in Thailand, when I'm applying for a visa from the UK, and the amount required for that visa now being expressed as an amount in Thai Baht.

To answer your questions,

Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over.

Yep, I could do that (again), but am currently still "holding my breath" on that, in the hope the sterling exchange rate may improve soon.

I known what you're saying here, and it would have been great if the words "sterling equivalent" could have appeared on the form anywhere!

Certainly looks that way, same game but different rules eh?

Mabe I'll get a reply from RTCH this week; after they've got a reply from London!

Cheers

Nothing is easy in Thailand if done the legal way..

whistling.gif I wish I could give you good news about getting a one year multi entry Non o visa from Hull using that justification ... visiting friends as a retired person traveling to visit friends in Thailand.

But frankly, I believe that will no longer wash with Hull.

I could be wrong, and I rather hope I am wrong, but I seriously doubt they will accept that justification now.

In 2010 you could get a multi entry Non o from Hull using only "visiting friends and /or relatives in Thailand". I myself did that (although I'm an American citizen), it was then possible to use that reason for a multi entry Non o visa from Hull.

Incidentally in 2010 there were only two Thai consulates in the world that routinely accepted that "visiting friends and/or relatives in Thailand" justification .... Hull in the U.K. and Perth in Australia. Perth closed down shortly afterward, and Hull had it "knuckle rapping" lesson.

That ended in about November 2010, and the fact is that since that time it has been increasingly difficult to get such a visa from Hull.

Hull had it's "knuckles rapped" for being to lenient by the Thai immigration higher ups in Thailand at the same time.

Since then, they have been much tougher on multi entry visas especially Non o visas and "retirement".

What they are likely going to give you is a 90 day Non o visa, and tell you to go through the retirement extension (so called visa) process at your local immigration in Bangkok.

And the question you must answer to their satisfaction will be, "But why do you specifically need a multi entry visa if you are living as a retiree in Thailand?".

You can apply for a retirement extension in Thailand if you are over 50, meet the Thai financial/income requirements and when approved purchase yourself a multi use exit re-entry permit for 3800 Baht .... which will effectively mean you have the equivalent of a multi entry visa from Hull. Of course, that extension requires you to do 90 day reporting at your local immigration and a multi entry visa from Hull wouldn't be required to do 90 day reporting.

But frankly, I don't think you will allowed to get another 1 year multi entry from Hull (or any Thai consulate now), especially if you previously had a few years of them.

It's going to get tougher everywhere to get multi entry Non o visas anywhere in the world.

A 90 day non O and an extension in Thailand is what they much prefer now at immigration in Thailand.

if I was you, I would accept that as the "plan B" backup choice if offered it.

rolleyes.gif

I don't have a historical record of the various changes that Hull's "Standard Visa Application Pack" has undergone in recent years but the version dated 1 May 2010, which I downloaded on 3 October 2010, had this text for the non-immigrant visa category "O":

To stay with family/friends, to work as a volunteer or to visit as a pensioner it is necessary to provide suitable evidence. Please see
form entitled “Ad Additional Pack for Non-Immigrant O Visa” on our website.

The current version, dated 1 August 2013, reads as follows:

Category "0"
Married to a Thai national
or
Visiting family working/living in Thailand
or
Volunteer work
or
Visiting Thailand as Pensioner
or
Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over
The text suggests the possibility of a multiple-entry non-O visa for a "retired person aged 50 years and over" who plans to visit Thailand several times within a 12-month period and staying in Thailand longer than 30 days per visit. It is not the way Bentarm44 described his intended use of the visa in his email to Hull and therefore it may not apply to him. Anyway, the decision about the issuance of the visa now seems to rest with the consular section of the Thai embassy in London.

Hull application pack 20101003.pdf

Hull application pack 20130801.pdf

Hull don't reply to emails.

Phone them if you want to discuss your specific case.

They may sound a bit crusty - that is because they are from Yorkshire. They are more helpful in the flesh but helpful enough on the phone.

I got my Non-Imm O on 5th July based on an over 50 with monthly income of over GBP 1,200.

Since August Hull cannot issue Non-Imm O's, they have to go to London. Apply to Hull but don't expect the normal same day turnround.

The current information on the website of the Thai embassy in London also allows the non-O visa for "Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age" and specifically mentions the multiple-entry visa:

Category "O"
To visit Thai spouse, children, parents or voluntary job.
Category "O" with multiple entries
Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;
- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or
- Proof of income with a minimum of £900.00 per month or
- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse

Having now read this I believe Bentarm44 has a good chance to get a new multiple-entry non-O visa.

London non-O details 20130828.pdf

They may sound a bit crusty - that is because they are from Yorkshire. They are more helpful in the flesh but helpful enough on the phone.

I got my Non-Imm O on 5th July based on an over 50 with monthly income of over GBP 1,200.

Since August Hull cannot issue Non-Imm O's, they have to go to London. Apply to Hull but don't expect the normal same day turnround.

You sure about this i had no problem getting my Non imm O Visa in the usual 30 minute turn around at start of august (from Hull with correct paperwork)?

Edited by stretch5163

Phoned Hull yesterday (28 Aug 2013) regards Mutli-Imm-O, they said they are faxing requests to London and so far all replies have been recieved within 24-48 hours. So at the moment its a 1 or 2 days wait for visa approval at Hull.

I am going in Oct and will phone again then.

Regards

ChatterRat

You sure about this i had no problem getting my Non imm O Visa in the usual 30 minute turn around at start of august (from Hull with correct paperwork)?

Yes. I believe from another poster on another thread he went of 5th August and was given the news.

They do to mine

I got mine by post in August 2013 with no proof of income

Marriage visa are easy and to be honest I can not think of a scenario where I won't be returning to the UK every year or having a holiday in Asia when I retire.

Having all you eggs in one basket is not a good idea and I always advise don't bring any money to Thailand you might one day want to take back.

You can't take the sugar cane out of the elephants mouth.

Hull and Birmingham have tightened up as on orders from London Embassy

they no longer issue Multiple entries for B Visa unless you work for a company outside of Thailand, and as for O Visa i think they have also moved the goal posts.

Yep, its a shame indeed!

• 1 month later...

whistling.gif I wish I could give you good news about getting a one year multi entry Non o visa from Hull using that justification ... visiting friends as a retired person traveling to visit friends in Thailand.

But frankly, I believe that will no longer wash with Hull.

I could be wrong, and I rather hope I am wrong, but I seriously doubt they will accept that justification now.

In 2010 you could get a multi entry Non o from Hull using only "visiting friends and /or relatives in Thailand". I myself did that (although I'm an American citizen), it was then possible to use that reason for a multi entry Non o visa from Hull.

Incidentally in 2010 there were only two Thai consulates in the world that routinely accepted that "visiting friends and/or relatives in Thailand" justification .... Hull in the U.K. and Perth in Australia. Perth closed down shortly afterward, and Hull had it "knuckle rapping" lesson.

That ended in about November 2010, and the fact is that since that time it has been increasingly difficult to get such a visa from Hull.

Hull had it's "knuckles rapped" for being to lenient by the Thai immigration higher ups in Thailand at the same time.

Since then, they have been much tougher on multi entry visas especially Non o visas and "retirement".

What they are likely going to give you is a 90 day Non o visa, and tell you to go through the retirement extension (so called visa) process at your local immigration in Bangkok.

And the question you must answer to their satisfaction will be, "But why do you specifically need a multi entry visa if you are living as a retiree in Thailand?".

You can apply for a retirement extension in Thailand if you are over 50, meet the Thai financial/income requirements and when approved purchase yourself a multi use exit re-entry permit for 3800 Baht .... which will effectively mean you have the equivalent of a multi entry visa from Hull. Of course, that extension requires you to do 90 day reporting at your local immigration and a multi entry visa from Hull wouldn't be required to do 90 day reporting.

But frankly, I don't think you will allowed to get another 1 year multi entry from Hull (or any Thai consulate now), especially if you previously had a few years of them.

It's going to get tougher everywhere to get multi entry Non o visas anywhere in the world.

A 90 day non O and an extension in Thailand is what they much prefer now at immigration in Thailand.

if I was you, I would accept that as the "plan B" backup choice if offered it.

rolleyes.gif

My local Thai Immigration office in Joho, Korat still (like in 2010) say only an existing 1 year visa is extendable for reasons of retirement !

Is this a new "catch 22" ?

I'm going to give up with Hull. As I'm going to be staying in Watford during my uk visit 5th nov '13 to 16th nov '13 I'm going to try the London Thai Embassy for the first time.

I'm going to take every single piece of possibly relevant info and docs I've amassed over the last 7 years of working and living here with me.

Maybe I'll be able to sort something out on the day. It will probably come down to pure pot luck.

Is this Non-Imm "O-A" (long stay) something new? I never saw it offered or mentioned by Hull.

I hope I will be able to get to swampy on the 4th nov !!

Any new info available about all this from any one ?

All that is needed is a single entry visa is required. There is absolutely no requirement that you have a one year visa.

You will get nothing from London but an OA visa unless you are married to a Thai. They will not issue non-o's for retirement.

All that is needed is a single entry visa is required. There is absolutely no requirement that you have a one year visa.

You will get nothing from London but an OA visa unless you are married to a Thai. They will not issue non-o's for retirement.

I recon you right about not needing a 1 year visa joe; I wish you were an immigration officer working in Korat !!

I've no idea about London, but suspect I may very shortly find out at first hand.

2 weeks to go before my uk visit, and attempt at getting new visa; one that I can extend once again for reason of retirement.

Suggest you try Birmingham instead of Hull.

Do you think Hull will issue me with a single entry non-imm "O" via a postal application without delays caused by London vetting ?

As Hull appears to be somewhat dysfunctional it may prove beneficial to apply to one of the other Hon. Thai consulates.

Suggest you try Birmingham instead of Hull.

Do you think Hull will issue me with a single entry non-imm "O" via a postal application without delays caused by London vetting ?

As regards non immigrant visas - do not assume it will be ok - Hull currently appear to be making up the rules as they go - at the moment they should not be trusted to deliver anything other than tourist visas.

In a recent application this month, a friend of mine asked to be issued a 90 day single entry non immigrant 'B' when Hull had initially refused a one year multiple (he having suppied all the Thai MFA required paperwork for a non 'B') - Hull then charged him for and sent him a Tourist Visa instead!

He did not get his passport back with enough time left to go to the consular facility at the Thai Embassy in London, so he had to take his flight to Thailand then leave the next day on a Visa run to Penang to get his non 'B', which was issued without any issues.

• 1 month later...

After applying for a multiple entry Non O visa 2 weeks ago, I received an email today saying -

"We must have the last three months statements of your UK current bank account. These must show a monthly income of a minimum of £1,400 or a lump sum of £16,000"

This is absurd! I work hard when I'm back in the U.K and earn considerably less than this a month after tax.

How many people have got 16 grand in there bank burner these days??

I called the consulate the same day and was informed I could have a single entry for 3 months or take the multi tourist entry for 180 days obviously having to leave the country every 60 days.

I regrettably had to take the latter even though I don't consider myself a fuc***g tourist as i've been married to my thai wife for over 4 years.

Don't know why I'm writing this to be honest but i just think its disgusting.

• Like 1

After applying for a multiple entry Non O visa 2 weeks ago, I received an email today saying -

"We must have the last three months statements of your UK current bank account. These must show a monthly income of a minimum of £1,400 or a lump sum of £16,000"

This is absurd! I work hard when I'm back in the U.K and earn considerably less than this a month after tax.

How many people have got 16 grand in there bank burner these days??

I called the consulate the same day and was informed I could have a single entry for 3 months or take the multi tourist entry for 180 days obviously having to leave the country every 60 days.

I regrettably had to take the latter even though I don't consider myself a fuc***g tourist as i've been married to my thai wife for over 4 years.

Don't know why I'm writing this to be honest but i just think its disgusting.

Its called "letting off steam" ...................understandable smile.png

• Like 1