Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

Managed funds do have their place. Not everyone wants to stress out about daily market fluctuations. You pay the fees to avoid that. That's the whole idea of managed funds.

A well managed fund would probably be safer compared to investing off the back of knowledge gained from a one day seminar. Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous.

And that goes for anything. Reminds me of when I first came to LOS.....................laugh.png

Yeah, which leads me to another point which I touched upon earlier that hasn't been addressed yet. Most people who take this course would have limited knowledge of the Thai language. Surely being able to read Thai is important if one wants to invest a lot of money in the this market. Of course MacWalen is adept at Thai, so he has a huge advantage over most.... so perhaps another reason to join one of his language schools??

Good point. whistling.gif

So it is illegal or unethical to create new revenue streams from an existing line of business?

Is it illegal or unethical for a foreigner who has learned Thai elsewhere to enroll on the OP's course?

I mean, throw us a bone here. What point are you guys laboring to make?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I realise MacWalen is concerned with the Thai stock market but I don't care what anyone says, if anything happens to the US stock market, it will definitely be reflected in the performance of other regional markets. You only have to look at what happened to the Thai stock market at the beginning of the financial crisis after the DJIA fell.

When you see an explanation of what is happening like in the following article (link below) I am increasingly convinced we have reached a similar situation to the Japanese stock market in February 1990. As the article correctly says “Asset values cannot be inflated forever. Something has to give.”

A lot of deception going on.bah.gif

http://www.testosteronepit.com/home/2013/9/5/bonds-bleed-largest-bubble-in-history-unwinds-but-the-great.html

What I charge to teach people investing is peanuts if you were thinking about the fees paid to managed funds.

Managed funds do have their place. Not everyone wants to stress out about daily market fluctuations. You pay the fees to avoid that. That's the whole idea of managed funds.

A well managed fund would probably be safer compared to investing off the back of knowledge gained from a one day seminar. Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous.

At what point do you throw away the 'training wheels' and venture forth in the talat with your new found Thai lingo? At what point do you move from being a graduate TEFL'er to actually doing it? Or do you just keep it all for 'future reference'?

The OP does not assume to make anyone an instant expert or millionaire based on one seminar.... lord knows we need more experts here! I think there's enough self-confessed millionaires already and lump them in with the former SAS types.

Even 'well managed funds' have the standard 'things can go down as well as up' disclaimer and I think the OP has already included similar in his sign-up paperwork just in case a newbie SET investor bets and loses the (wife's) farm and chooses to sue his way out of the results of HIS OWN stupidity.

Maybe its me, but the way I see it this guy(OP) is offering a service,(just like any other service) and you pay for that service...if you dont want this service then fine, dont sign up, dont pay, but what's with the vitriol, why slag him off......

if some of you are such experts and so knowledgeable why dont you offer a similar induction course yourself or why dont 2 or 3 of the really clever bas*%$ds on here, get together and run a course yourseves (you seem to have all the answers already), I would pay just to listen to you pontificate??

jeez give the lad a break! I don't know anything about the markets and not interested in them but maybe I wanted to learn about it, this seems like an option I have, so if I was interested it would be something I would maybe look at...... my 2 pennies worth

• Like 1

Maybe its me, but the way I see it this guy(OP) is offering a service,(just like any other service) and you pay for that service...if you dont want this service then fine, dont sign up, dont pay, but what's with the vitriol, why slag him off......

if some of you are such experts and so knowledgeable why dont you offer a similar induction course yourself or why dont 2 or 3 of the really clever bas*%$ds on here, get together and run a course yourseves (you seem to have all the answers already), I would pay just to listen to you pontificate??

jeez give the lad a break! I don't know anything about the markets and not interested in them but maybe I wanted to learn about it, this seems like an option I have, so if I was interested it would be something I would maybe look at...... my 2 pennies worth

OK, well, think many have missed a point put forward by some. If a teaching service is offered for reward that person should have qualifications in the field, NOT, hey look guys, look at my bank balance.

Anyone offering a teaching service will always show credentials NOT, his good luck or what ever.

• Like 2

Just don't trust these people offering you ways to make money when they make money from you . lets say he gets 30 suckers to come to his class

that works out to be 90,000 baht for a days work . not bad for a day's work. Sure they will say and tell you you will make money , mmmmm you really think so . The stock market takes a long time to master and even the masters lose money . Please be careful .

Edited by kevvy
  • Like 2

OK, well, think many have missed a point put forward by some. If a teaching service is offered for reward that person should have qualifications in the field, NOT, hey look guys, look at my bank balance.

Anyone offering a teaching service will always show credentials NOT, his good luck or what ever.

Qualifications and credentials would be desirable but not essential if the OP had given even the slightest indication he has fully prepared strategies he can teach to protect portfolios should the stock markets turn downwards and maybe for them to remain in the doldrums for a very long time after.

The often quoted " this is a wonderful buying opportunity " if they do go down won't apply this time around because there will not be any quick fix this time round, like there was in 2008. They have run out of ammunition . But the OP hasn't done that and in fact on the contrary, he made a comment much earlier in the thread which indicated that he was prepared to virtually write-off, any losses.

So what is the incentive for anyone take such a risk now by entering the equity markets as a beginner now ? Take a look at this thread on this forum opened today and can anyone tell me why anyone can justifiably expect the SET to continue rising? It would almost be too much to ask for it to just go sideways………

........................tick tock tick tock

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665988-thai-commerce-ministry-faces-public-anger-over-cost-of-living/

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

Walen is smart.

Pays his sponsorship costs here for a sucker audience and then advertises to all.

I would imagine the bg take up rate here will be commensurate to the tables and chairs in the conference room at Walen school of higher finance.

I realise MacWalen is concerned with the Thai stock market but I don't care what anyone says, if anything happens to the US stock market, it will definitely be reflected in the performance of other regional markets. You only have to look at what happened to the Thai stock market at the beginning of the financial crisis after the DJIA fell.

Yep. Nobody said differently. So?

When you see an explanation of what is happening like in the following article (link below) I am increasingly convinced we have reached a similar situation to the Japanese stock market in February 1990. As the article correctly says “Asset values cannot be inflated forever. Something has to give.”

Nobody said asset values can be inflated forever. Seems you keep arguing w/ a straw man. Who's "we?"

Still, looking back over 300 years, in Britain, for example, the total asset value of the 140 joint stock companies at the end of the 17th century was 4,250,000 pounds; today the 2,494 companies listed on the LSE have a total market value of about 3.8 trillion. That's a considerable increase over a long period encompassing numerous financial meltdowns, no? Is it in any way suggestive for the future? smile.png

Yawn. Values of all asset classes always rise and fall. How did gold treat you this year? wink.png Uh-huh. That's a good thing as it enables buying low and selling high.

To counter hidden assumptions: Mac Walen unquestionably won't tell you to dump your entire life savings into the stock market--at any time.

Where? Here?

Nobody can predict the future w/ much certainly. For every prophecy of rain, there's one of sunshine. Here: http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article/3250055/Investors-Should-Not-Be-Nervous-About-QE-Tapering.html#.UimmZKyvjVh

Seems to me that arguing over macroeconomics is better done over in the Investment forum where you usually hang out, midas. Naam and yoshiwara must miss you over there. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Yep. Nobody said differently. So?

Nobody said asset values can be inflated forever. Seems you keep arguing w/ a straw man. Who's "we?"

When I said we I mean the entire world (I would have thought that would be quite obvious)rolleyes.gif

Still, looking back over 300 years, in Britain, for example, the total asset value of the 140 joint stock companies at the end of the 17th century was 4,250,000 pounds; today the 2,494 companies listed on the LSE have a total market value of about 3.8 trillion. That's a considerable increase over a long period encompassing numerous financial meltdowns, no? Is it in any way suggestive for the future? smile.png

when I read this I wasn't sure whether you were just joking with me ? Surely you can't be serious?

There has never been any financial meltdowns in the history of the world anything like the one that occurred in 2008 because this time it is based on a tsunami of debt - $ 51 trillion for the whole world.

But even worse the actual trigger for the crisis of 2008 was derivatives and the threat of $600 trillion in OTC derivatives collapsing the system again is still there because nothing was fixed. In fact the likes of Alan Greenspan fought tooth and nail not to fix it. I wonder why? And since unregulated OTC derivatives only started to be used in 1980 it is completely irrelevant what happened 300 ago with regards to what we are facing today

Yawn. Values of all asset classes always rise and fall. How did gold treat you this year? wink.png Uh-huh. That's a good thing as it enables buying low and selling high.

The motive for me owning gold bullion has nothing to do with the rise and fall of assets. I am holding it purely as an insurance against the total collapse of one fiat currency as occurred before in the Weinmar Republc and more recently in Zimbabwe.

To counter hidden assumptions: Mac Walen unquestionably won't tell you to dump your entire life savings into the stock market--at any time.

At this point in time, like I said before I see no reason based on economics why anyone can expect share prices to keep rising so why risk a single cent ?

Where? Here?

Throughout the financial markets

Nobody can predict the future w/ much certainly. For every prophecy of rain, there's one of sunshine. Here: http://www.institutionalinvestor.com/Article/3250055/Investors-Should-Not-Be-Nervous-About-QE-Tapering.html#.UimmZKyvjVh

Seems to me that arguing over macroeconomics is better done over in the Investment forum where you usually hang out, midas. Naam and yoshiwara must miss you over there. smile.png

I think it's important to argue macroeconomics anyway if it stops people from potentially losing their hard earned moneyermm.gif

Edited by midas

and before anyone even considers paying any money for the kind of investment seminar MacWalen is proposing, I strongly suggest they watch the documentary movie “ Inside Job “ which they might be able to download free (here is a trailer below). I wonder how many people will walk away after watching this movie and still have an appetite to invest their savings in the stock market in 2013

So it is illegal or unethical to create new revenue streams from an existing line of business?

Is it illegal or unethical for a foreigner who has learned Thai elsewhere to enroll on the OP's course?

I mean, throw us a bone here. What point are you guys laboring to make?

I'll throw you a bone when you explain why you're suggesting that I was saying anything was illegal or unethical.

I'm yet to hear how easy it is for a person who doesn't read Thai to invest in the Thai stock market. Surely you're at a huge disadvantage if you can't read Thai.

Surely some discussion on the importance (or not) of being able to communicate in Thai is relevant here.

What I charge to teach people investing is peanuts if you were thinking about the fees paid to managed funds.

At what point do you throw away the 'training wheels' and venture forth in the talat with your new found Thai lingo? At what point do you move from being a graduate TEFL'er to actually doing it? Or do you just keep it all for 'future reference'?

The OP does not assume to make anyone an instant expert or millionaire based on one seminar.... lord knows we need more experts here! I think there's enough self-confessed millionaires already and lump them in with the former SAS types.

Even 'well managed funds' have the standard 'things can go down as well as up' disclaimer and I think the OP has already included similar in his sign-up paperwork just in case a newbie SET investor bets and loses the (wife's) farm and chooses to sue his way out of the results of HIS OWN stupidity.

Yeah, fair enough, but most people who lose their shirts are people who think they know everything but in fact know very little. At the end of the day stock trading is gambling... hence the ever present mantra - "only trade with what you can afford to lose".

I'm yet to hear how easy it is for a person who doesn't read Thai to invest in the Thai stock market. Surely you're at a huge disadvantage if you can't read Thai.

OK, lemme answer and get it out of the way. Pretty easy for larger Thai companies, the only ones you're likely to want to invest in. The brokerages have English, trading sites can be in English, business news and corporate profiles are in English (BusinessWeek, SET), and the charts can be in English. I think a lot of guys over on the investment forum use Bloomberg mostly. Mac Walen will no doubt address this point. If he thought only Thai speakers could derive benefit from his course, he would have mentioned it. Cynic alert: pile on, guys.

Besides that, you've always got Google translate, but won't need it.

Next.

• Like 1

The motive for me owning gold bullion has nothing to do with the rise and fall of assets. I am holding it purely as an insurance against the total collapse of one fiat currency as occurred before in the Weinmar Republc and more recently in Zimbabwe.

Gold isn't what you want, my man. In The Apocalypse your gold will be worthless too. What you want is soap. People won't be able to buy it but everybody needs it, must have it. Stockpile soap! And the bombproof shelter in the hills goes without saying . . . here are your top survivalist and prepper sites: http://www.survivaltop50.com/.

Whew! Wandered into The Twilight Zone there for a minute. smile.png A mod will be along shortly to remove your post for violating the rules I guess. Unless you're just too much fun to delete.

• Like 1

Gold isn't what you want, my man. In The Apocalypse your gold will be worthless too. What you want is soap. People won't be able to buy it but everybody needs it, must have it. Stockpile soap! And the bombproof shelter in the hills goes without saying . . . here are your top survivalist and prepper sites: http://www.survivaltop50.com/.

Whew! Wandered into The Twilight Zone there for a minute. smile.png A mod will be along shortly to remove your post for violating the rules I guess. Unless you're just too much fun to delete.

ah yes because it’s always " different this time " …………….eh what JSixpack ?giggle.gif

I tell you what JSixpack when you can say you have credentials such as having sat as Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee , which oversees the US Federal Reserve then I will start listening to youthumbsup.gif

Edited by midas

ah yes because it’s always " different this time " …………….eh what JSixpack ?giggle.gif

I tell you what JSixpack when you can say you have credentials such as having sat as Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee , which oversees the US Federal Reserve then I will start listening to youthumbsup.gif

Yawn. You've been refuted and made to look foolish a thousand times over in the investment forum--of which I suppose a lot of readers in this thread aren't aware. It's one of the best amusements on the forum to watch your being a punching bag. I'm serious!

By "refuted," I mean exactly that. Your view has been shown to be nonsensical again and again. The great thing is that your obsession prevents you from realizing the fact, so you just come back for more.

Now that you've been fully outed here, I'll let the readers decide for themselves whether they want to start stockpiling or stock investing. :)

Yawn. You've been refuted and made to look foolish a thousand times over in the investment forum--of which I suppose a lot of readers in this thread aren't aware. It's one of the best amusements on the forum to watch your being a punching bag. I'm serious!

By "refuted," I mean exactly that. Your view has been shown to be nonsensical again and again. The great thing is that your obsession prevents you from realizing the fact, so you just come back for more.

Now that you've been fully outed here, I'll let the readers decide for themselves whether they want to start stockpiling or stock investing. smile.png

This "investment forum" on Thaivisa, is this that "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" in which all I seem to see is how to withdraw/exchange money, a few strange threads where people seem confused as to what an exchange rate is, how to open a bank account etc, maybe one in ten looks to be market focused but even then its pretty basic? Is this where the Thaivisa investment and trading gurus hold forth and dazzle us with their superior knowledge and insight?

Talk about big fish and small ponds...or minnows in dirty puddles more aptly...or are the high brow discussions going on in some thread that I've missed?

• Like 1

Midas, I appreciate your contribution to this thread. What I teach will help people to make decisions on their own. Emphasis of fundamentals. Also just to know how markets work is interesting and worth learning. I do not seem to have much competition but you, together with your mates, are welcome to set up a school of investing and do the same. We will create a bigger market. A lot of people like the way Walen does business and they will support us.

For me investing in Thailand makes a lot of sense, for others it may not and that is great. I wish them all the best. I like this country very much and I am not the only one, and I am well traveled, haven't found a better place for me yet. If I can contribute something valuable to the economy, give people jobs, teach students Thai, promote investing in Thailand I will do it. I am encouraging my staff to open broker's accounts too. Even if they invest only small amounts they will already be wiser as they will see in practice how it works. It could get big, only time will show.

Jsixpack makes valuable contribution and exposes a lot of silliness in comments of some posters. Thank you.

Now that you've been fully outed here, I'll let the readers decide for themselves whether they want to start stockpiling or stock investing. smile.png

This "investment forum" on Thaivisa, is this that "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" in which all I seem to see is how to withdraw/exchange money, a few strange threads where people seem confused as to what an exchange rate is, how to open a bank account etc, maybe one in ten looks to be market focused but even then its pretty basic? Is this where the Thaivisa investment and trading gurus hold forth and dazzle us with their superior knowledge and insight?

Talk about big fish and small ponds...or minnows in dirty puddles more aptly...or are the high brow discussions going on in some thread that I've missed?

Sorry paddyjenkins but with ONLY a little over 100 posts, you haven't been INVITED to run with the TV big dogs yet.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Really, things are pretty desperate over at the “ Walen School of Investment “ when they can't provide even a half decent response using economic arguments and can only resort to character assassination.giggle.gif

Midas, I appreciate your contribution to this thread. What I teach will help people to make decisions on their own. Emphasis of fundamentals. Also just to know how markets work is interesting and worth learning. I do not seem to have much competition but you, together with your mates, are welcome to set up a school of investing and do the same. We will create a bigger market. A lot of people like the way Walen does business and they will support us.

For me investing in Thailand makes a lot of sense, for others it may not and that is great. I wish them all the best. I like this country very much and I am not the only one, and I am well traveled, haven't found a better place for me yet. If I can contribute something valuable to the economy, give people jobs, teach students Thai, promote investing in Thailand I will do it. I am encouraging my staff to open broker's accounts too. Even if they invest only small amounts they will already be wiser as they will see in practice how it works. It could get big, only time will show.

Jsixpack makes valuable contribution and exposes a lot of silliness in comments of some posters. Thank you.

With all due respect, there is nothing silly at all about purporting to teach a subject that could involve the ordinary person losing even part of their savings.

You already admitted yourself, you previously lost a considerable amount of money on derivatives.

You were wrong before, so how can you be so sure you will not be wrong again?

• Like 2

With all due respect, there is nothing silly at all about purporting to teach a subject that could involve the ordinary person losing even part of their savings.

You already admitted yourself, you previously lost a considerable amount of money on derivatives.

You were wrong before, so how can you be so sure you will not be wrong again?

AND, may I add, perhaps l am one of the silly comment-er's, BUT, l know nothing about financial money making so from my perspective, if l want to learn anything, regardless what it is, credentials in any field is the first thing l would look for. Sooooo, please OP do not look down on folk who have the balls to ask questions.