What do you miss most about home?

sunny and hot

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very 1st time i came to thailand went to phuket. In all the years after when i went on holiday or lived there it felt home for me when i arrived there ,flying or driving. I miss the evenings playing cards with friends, the beaches and the freedom when driving around on the motorbike on the way to naiharn. But for me now well..... i just miss my kids and wonder.......

Frankly, I don't know where my home is having had lived in several countries for an extended amount of time. I consider Thailand my home now, but am always viewed as a foreigner even though I have lived here longer than the ages of some young adults. I sometimes miss the snow though I hated it when snow was running deep in the winter for a couple of months a year. I miss the days when my wife and I would order half a dozen clams, two Italian beef sandwichs at Riccobeni across the street where we lived while being students. I miss the MGA sport car and the 'luxurious' Buick Electra that I used to have. I also miss the days when I carried my 45 magnum colt, a 39 special revolver, and a shotgun when going to work at my place of business. I don't miss the days working at a Fortune 500 company though! Glad that I quit the job when I had 2 PhD bosses who played politics rather than putting their engineering skills to work for the company. Today, that company has gone down, by the way!

When I read all the answers I am almost ashamed to say, honestly wink.png... I do not miss anything!

I had a conversation on this subject yesterday with a friend, I told him I pretty sure many expats miss...and I did give many examples some of you gave to OP, adding I do not understand why but really I do not miss anything, on the contrary It seems the less I remember the western world the better I feel... Is it serious doc? tongue.png

• Like 1

also miss bars and dance clubs, with NO prostitutes in... Have not found one of those here yet.

Very easy to find if you leave the red light district.

With 'no' prostitutes in ?

Yes plenty of clubs all over Thailand with no hookers in.

If you're hanging around lower Sukhumvit, Bangla Road or Walking Street then you won't find these places.

• Like 1

What kind of psychological problems do people have who when asked what they miss about home tell you about what they have at home instead of what they miss. The question was what do you miss about home when you are in Thailand. It is supposed to highlight the good things about other countries, any other country except Thailand. But if you are home you can't miss anything about it because you are there. Gosh you must dislike Thailand a lot. Cause you are home not missing anything. Right? To answer the question from England one should go get a Thai person and ask them what they miss about Thailand! If you are at home this question is not for you!!! Or is the OP so anti Thai that we should add if you are at home not missing anything what do you think you would miss if you were in Thailand. Kind of like if wishes were horses beggers would ride.

What sort of psychological problems do you have that you see anything at all 'anti-Thai' in the OP's post?

You live in a first world country and post on 3rd world websites how good England is.

What, tell Thailand how bad it is for breakfast and call up Bangladesh at lunch and India for dinner and tell them how much better it is in England? I can see the folks living in Thailand missing things but you are not in Thailand. You are in bloody England!

For an example. This is not a mountain:

chiang-mai-mountains.jpg

This is a mountain:

rocky_mountains.jpg

Try telling that to a Thai though, and they generally just tell you Chiang Mai has huge mountains. Fun stuff. smile.png

There is no universally accepted definition of a mountain. Elevation, volume, relief, steepness, spacing and continuity have been used as criteria for defining a mountain.[1] In the Oxford English Dictionary a mountain is defined as "a natural elevation of the earth surface rising more or less abruptly from the surrounding level and attaining an altitude which, relatively to the adjacent elevation, is impressive or notable.

ethnocentrism

n

(Sociology) belief in the intrinsic superiority of the nation, culture, or group to which one belongs, often accompanied by feelings of dislike for other groups

• Like 1

Interesting topic. I do note however that the OP relates to the UK and Thailand. The UK this year has had a very good Summer for a change (although that didn't stop the rain ruining the Ashes). I wonder if those who enthuse about the UK countryside would be quite so enthusiastic had the OP posted at a different time of year, for example in May when it was still snowing. I haven't seen anyone enthuse about the 9 months of the year that it is dull, cold,damp and miserable where you go both go to, and go home from work in the dark.

• Like 2

I been here for over 10 years but still work world wide 6 month per year in the oil offshore business.

Well to be honest I miss almost everything (Denmark) with a few exceptions.

I miss the springs when the leaves on the trees starts to flower and they have this light green color.

Long summer nights and the girls dress very lightly.

So basically Denmark got 4-6 month per year I miss and I intend to do something about it.

My plan is when my son passes 5 year of age that we will fly to Denmark each year and spend app. 1 month during school holidays in a rented holiday house (bungalow type of house) somewhere at the coast.

If we like it a lot I will consider buying one holiday home which I can own without tax problems as an expat Dane but will have to calculate carefully if it is economic feasible and then spend much more time there

when my son is grown up and can take care of himself, perhaps over 3 month per year.

To say you don't miss something from your home country is bull shit and I don't believe it.

Also when you divide your time between 2 countries you can get the best from both, I think if I spend 12 month here a year I would go madbiggrin.png

To say you don't miss something from your home country is bull shit and I don't believe it.

How are you so sure of what's happened in other people's head?

You are a psychiatrist maybe? ...No...

Not only you know what's in other people's head you also know it is bullshit! If one day you'll be a politician, success guarantee coffee1.gif

What kind of psychological problems do people have who when asked what they miss about home tell you about what they have at home instead of what they miss. The question was what do you miss about home when you are in Thailand. It is supposed to highlight the good things about other countries, any other country except Thailand. But if you are home you can't miss anything about it because you are there. Gosh you must dislike Thailand a lot. Cause you are home not missing anything. Right? To answer the question from England one should go get a Thai person and ask them what they miss about Thailand! If you are at home this question is not for you!!! Or is the OP so anti Thai that we should add if you are at home not missing anything what do you think you would miss if you were in Thailand. Kind of like if wishes were horses beggers would ride.

What sort of psychological problems do you have that you see anything at all 'anti-Thai' in the OP's post?

You live in a first world country and post on 3rd world websites how good England is.

What, tell Thailand how bad it is for breakfast and call up Bangladesh at lunch and India for dinner and tell them how much better it is in England? I can see the folks living in Thailand missing things but you are not in Thailand. You are in bloody England!

Erm..... you didn't answer my question.

Nevertheless, you are correct. I am in England.

I've been here a whole three weeks now.

Prior to that I was living and working in Thailand, next week I'm taking up my next overseas assignment (Not Thailand, Not UK - Overseas).

I am currently enjoying all the things I missed about England when I was in Thailand and all the things I will miss about England when I take up my next posting.

I think I can refer to these things as 'What I miss about home'.

Now we all live different lives but I trust you'll accept that three weeks spent anywhere does not constitute 'living there'. (if you do not, no matter, at least the HM Revenue and Tax Office accept the point).

Back the to question I asked and you dodged.

There is nothing remotely anti Thai in the OP's post, but you accuse him of being Anti Thai and in your efforts to dodge my question dream up some idea of me telling Thailand how bad it is for breakfast.

This thing about seeing 'Anti Thai' everywhere you look - its all in your own head.

Hence my question.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

There is no universally accepted definition of a mountain. Elevation, volume, relief, steepness, spacing and continuity have been used as criteria for defining a mountain.[1] In the Oxford English Dictionary a mountain is defined as "a natural elevation of the earth surface rising more or less abruptly from the surrounding level and attaining an altitude which, relatively to the adjacent elevation, is impressive or notable.

For a rebuttal, watch "The Man Who Walked Up a Hill and Down a Mountain" (May not be those exact words)

But coffee up before you start the movie.

• Like 1

What kind of psychological problems do people have who when asked what they miss about home tell you about what they have at home instead of what they miss. The question was what do you miss about home when you are in Thailand.

I dont have any amusing Monty Python clips to illustrate my point, but the OP by no means constrained the debate by nominating Thailand as an explicit location or by restricting who is entitled to share their desires. He most certainly doesn't circumscribe a physical presence in Thailand.

I dont want to be picky, but since you're making remarks about other posters that includes references to, shall we say "less favourable mental attributes", it is only fair that I point out this amusing fact.

The question was "What do you miss most about home?"

• Like 1

I miss the low cost of just about everything I like to eat or drink or wear.

OR drive. sad.png

Agree on that, Cars are so vastly over priced in Thailand. Could pick up some really nice motors for half the cost of my CRV. One thing though, petrol in the UK is ridiculously priced. Done several trips last week from Cornwall to Bristol and Somerset, ouch. Edited by mrtoad

TV with 150 channels and all of them in English.

Good, cheap Aussie wines as opposed to the rubbish available in Thailand at a premium price.

My group of mates with whom I would spend long Friday afternoons at a good restaurant indulging in many bottles of good, cheap Aussie wine, followed by a couple of double espressos made by people who know how.

I miss the low cost of just about everything I like to eat or drink or wear.

OR drive. sad.png

Agree on that, Cars are so vastly over priced in Thailand. Could pick up some really nice motors for half the cost of my CRV. One thing though, petrol in the UK is ridiculously priced. Done several trips last week from Cornwall to Bristol and Somerset, ouch.

I was born a Bristolian. smile.png

• Like 1