Record Number of Likes?

HeijoshinCool

As is the 'Like' button, IMHO.

If it were used just to show agreement with a post, then fine, I'd have no problem with it; saves all those posts with just "+1" in them.

But, unfortunately, whilst many (most?) members use it for that, there seems to be certain members who have a coterie of sycophants following them around 'liking' almost everything they post.

These people then boast of their own 'importance' because of how many 'likes' they have!

Then there is the various groups who simply 'like' each other's posts; regardless of contents.

Personally, whilst I admit it's nice to see that someone has agreed with a post of mine enough, or found it useful enough, to take the time to click on the 'like' button, I wouldn't be bothered one way or the other were it to remain or go.

Really? You actually make note of who follows who and gives them "likes"? Must be time consuming. Maybe they aren't a "coterie of sycophants," maybe they are just like-minded people. After all, that's what voting is all about.

There are people who actually "boast of their own importance" based on their number of likes? I never noticed that.

• Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As is the 'Like' button, IMHO.

If it were used just to show agreement with a post, then fine, I'd have no problem with it; saves all those posts with just "+1" in them.

But, unfortunately, whilst many (most?) members use it for that, there seems to be certain members who have a coterie of sycophants following them around 'liking' almost everything they post.

These people then boast of their own 'importance' because of how many 'likes' they have!

Then there is the various groups who simply 'like' each other's posts; regardless of contents.

Personally, whilst I admit it's nice to see that someone has agreed with a post of mine enough, or found it useful enough, to take the time to click on the 'like' button, I wouldn't be bothered one way or the other were it to remain or go.

Really? You actually make note of who follows who and gives them "likes"? Must be time consuming. Maybe they aren't a "coterie of sycophants," maybe they are just like-minded people. After all, that's what voting is all about.

There are people who actually "boast of their own importance" based on their number of likes? I never noticed that.

If I were to take the time to search back I could show you a post where a certain big noting poster told me he was much better than I was because of the enormous amount of likes he had compared to me.thumbsup.gif

Someone once told me my % of likes per posts made me a moron. BUT I knew that in the first place. rolleyes.gif ............................coffee1.gif ..............smile.png

+1...coffee1.gif

Nobody ever told ME I was being pretentious...sad.pngtongue.png

Edited by Dancealot

Of course posters will tick what they like,but it does seem rather odd that a fairly mundane one liner post attracts 25 plus likes,while further down the post, someone's very witty comment is lucky to get one like! but of course it's all a matter of taste. Or are some people easily pleased? ....a bit like the young fans who scream after their idols,who can't even sing!

I can't be bothered to go through all this likes business,but one outstanding Poster,who deserves recognition has got to be the "The Scouser" who has managed to Post 6472 times,and has received an unbelievable zero likes. Or have I missed something here?

I can't be bothered to go through all this likes business,but one outstanding Poster,who deserves recognition has got to be the "The Scouser" who has managed to Post 6472 times,and has received an unbelievable zero likes. Or have I missed something here?

He won't get any likes from me, having nicked my wheel trims.

I'll get me coat.

• Like 1

I know it's off Topic.but who was the first one ever to Post on Thai Visa? and it might be of interest to members,as to what the Topic was??? could be the start of a competition here?

Normal people don't post on brand new forums. They need to be seeded artifically. So you really don't want to know, it would be like knowing how sausage is made.

• Like 1

I know it's off Topic.but who was the first one ever to Post on Thai Visa? and it might be of interest to members,as to what the Topic was??? could be the start of a competition here?

Normal people don't post on brand new forums. They need to be seeded artifically. So you really don't want to know, it would be like knowing how sausage is made.

Rather silly question, was it. While I have been searching for that first post I came to that same conclusion. Oh, silly me... No offence meant, MAJIC.wai.gif

A lot of the topics are archived after a few years.

Would require some investigating, Large Chang to the winner.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

CCC

You are probably right! but I assume someone made the introduction post,to officially open TV.

A lot of the topics are archived after a few years.

Would require some investigating, Large Chang to the winner.drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

CCC

Well one thing is certain,there must have been a first Topic, Sin Sot any one, or can I buy a house in Thailand?

You are probably right! but I assume someone made the introduction post,to officially open TV.

Here's a thread nobody likes, but I still keep posting.

Should be self-explanatory.....coffee1.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645205-toilets-in-thailand/page-5#entry6794658

Are you asking about the first post ever on TVF ... or the first post under the current (long standing) management/owners ...

Origins of the Forum are, as to my understanding, are that it was genuinely a Thai Visa Forum from which it has diversified extensively it's content, thus it's popularity. (I reckon that's great ... myself spending a lot of time in the Farming Forum).

So one presumes, the early content, if not the 1st post was about Thai Visas.

• Like 1

Are you asking about the first post ever on TVF ... or the first post under the current (long standing) management/owners ...

Origins of the Forum are, as to my understanding, are that it was genuinely a Thai Visa Forum from which it has diversified extensively it's content, thus it's popularity. (I reckon that's great ... myself spending a lot of time in the Farming Forum).

So one presumes, the early content, if not the 1st post was about Thai Visas.

No link no Chang mate.

I've found posts as early as 2003 but as yet am unable to source the holy grail that is the first ever post on tv.

Help please...

CCC

• Like 1

No link no Chang mate.

I've found posts as early as 2003 but as yet am unable to source the holy grail that is the first ever post on tv.

Help please...

CCC

It was probably George saying "I don't know what I'm doing, I hope this leads to something"

• Like 1

No link no Chang mate.

Help please...

CCC

It was probably George saying "I don't know what I'm doing, I hope this leads to something"

There were 2...testing...testing....

By the way, in the good old days, TV was a chat site for guys to pick up hookers and vice versa,

Scouse is a great guy who helped many Brits with their UK visa problems. (for spouses)

He stopped posting regularly before the Like system started.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Never come across this "like" culture on other forums. It smacks of insecurity. Childish, too.

I guess some people don't understand the difference between like and respect.

• Like 1

Never come across this "like" culture on other forums. It smacks of insecurity. Childish, too.

But I have and give both. giggle.gif ...................smile.png

• Like 2

Really? OK, I know of one forum where likes are credited to the post rather than the poster.

I'm now gonna give you a like. biggrin.png

It just seems such a dumb thing to do. I'll give you another one later, if it matters to you biggrin.png

• Like 1

Quite, Old Croc.

It doesn't take much time or effort to notice these people; their egos are all over the pace.

I seem to recall someone actually starting a topic, announcing to us all how many 'likes' he had reached! Obviously insecure with a desperate need to be 'liked'!

Really? OK, I know of one forum where likes are credited to the post rather than the poster.

It just seems such a dumb thing to do. I'll give you another one later, if it matters to you biggrin.png

My thought, purely my thought. If I read something and see likes I usually read it again to delve a bit further. thumbsup.gif

My thought, purely my thought. If I read something and see likes I usually read it again to delve a bit further. thumbsup.gif

Likes credited to the post... Good. So how do you take the poster out of this equation?

I have to add, Transam is very good....tongue.png

Edited by Dancealot