Outrageous Police Conduct !

Mapguy

All I can say is that I'm not lying just passing on my own experiences and what my wife is told by her ex colleagues.
Here's a story about a good cop I know to even things up. He's the only one I would ever trust by the way. He found out that a couple of police officers he knew were dealing drugs. Despite threats to himself he saw to it that they were dismissed from the force.
After that he was posted away from his own town because he refused to bust people unofficially for tea money and pass it up the chain. He does things by the book so there is no scope for corrupt rakeoffs.
As I said, the only one I trust.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Look at the time of night he postedwhistling.gif

Well, Khun ThaiPauly, it appears to me Khun Mapguy posted 'round the midnight hour, and the moon's still early in its waxing crescent phase, so I don't think he's exuding the poison sweat, yet,

So, I have little doubt but that, at the time he wrote the post, Khun Mapguy experienced a reality in which the words he wrote made sense to Khun Mapguy, which must have been refreshing ... for him.

I've never had a sense that "making sense," or being "meaningful," is a requirement for posts here; am I wrong to assume that the idea, that anyone else here doesn't share my opinion, is impossible ? That would be a possibility, since I do assume that what is possible, or impossible, is a matter of frame-of-reference in which context/gestalt is foreground, and what's in the background is what we don't want to know, anyhow.

And, that's all I have to say about Police in Chiang Mai, other than that I love them a$ deeply they allow me to.

~o:37;

You only hear about the bad side on forums such as this, you never hear about the good!

Have you ever seen a topic like "Policeman smiled and shook my hand today"?

I've had similar experiences to you, and even when I ended up in a police station potentially facing serious charges (should they want to act corruptly), common sense prevailed, I was an innocent party and I can't fault their attitude towards me and also their empathy.

It's simply the minority giving the majority a bad name.

Why were you potentially facing serious charges if you were the innocent party? Doesn't make sense.

Ever heard of "It was the Farang's Fault??"

It was a fatal road accident.

Nice video did you make it your self? What do the numbers stand for? Are the numbers for the number of cows per square Kilometer or the number of 7/11s per square Kilometer?

What is the base for them are they being based on some thing in London , New York, Paris, Dubai or any town planet earth.

Basically a post for the Thais as the video is all in Thai. Why post such an obvious fake on an English speaking forum.

Sorry, Google translated it for me. It's a link where you can post where and when you were forced to pay a bribe.

There are versions for other countries than Thailand, so don't start jumping up and down.

• Like 1

I had a policeman wave a ticket because I showed him my boobs. Does that count? I had been drinking and was feeling silly at the time and he just laughed and waved me through. I don't think that would work for guys, though.

Excuse me, but are you serious???!

I cannot even imagine such a thing, just too bizarre.

I mean I like to think it happened, and all.

But something must have provoked this.

Like, did you feel his eyes upon you, before acting?

This is the first time I have ever heard of something so nutty and nice, like sugar and spice.

I had a policeman wave a ticket because I showed him my boobs. Does that count? I had been drinking and was feeling silly at the time and he just laughed and waved me through. I don't think that would work for guys, though.

Do you think if i dressed up like a cop...ermmm nevermind.

I had a policeman wave a ticket because I showed him my boobs. Does that count? I had been drinking and was feeling silly at the time and he just laughed and waved me through. I don't think that would work for guys, though. 

what a classy chick!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart II using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For all who whine & bitch about the local custom, be it corruption or be it tea money. If you find it so utterly offencive, maybe Thailand is not for you. Sounds to me like most of the complaints & negative comments come from expats who should be living in another country, with rules of law that they can have some sort of control over, maybe it's time they go HOME. It is entirely up to the Thais to forge their nation, it's definitely not the place of the expat to criticise or bemoan how they run their country. Imagine yourself, back in your home country, and a bunch of unaturalised immigrants publicly bitched & carried on about some social aspects that they criticized, general public reaction would be? You guessed it, "You don't like it? Go home!"

• Like 1

For all who whine & bitch about the local custom, be it corruption or be it tea money. If you find it so utterly offencive, maybe Thailand is not for you. Sounds to me like most of the complaints & negative comments come from expats who should be living in another country, with rules of law that they can have some sort of control over, maybe it's time they go HOME. It is entirely up to the Thais to forge their nation, it's definitely not the place of the expat to criticise or bemoan how they run their country. Imagine yourself, back in your home country, and a bunch of unaturalised immigrants publicly bitched & carried on about some social aspects that they criticized, general public reaction would be? You guessed it, "You don't like it? Go home!"

My Thai mother in laws son was killed by a drunk driver who paid off the police to avoid any charges. She hates corruption. Where should she go?

• Like 2

Maybe --- just maybe --- the police ought to be paid more! Might that not be one of the ways to build a more "professional" force?

This is something that I do think might help--plus they should raise the bar on the entrance exams;maybe even supply transport to avoid the obvious status symbol situation of the 'well-paid off' officer riding a shiny new HOG vs the [possibly more honest, or less well connected] local officer on his beat-up Honda Wave.

Interesting website @Chicog

My only instances of bribes [ which technically are not genuine bribes, I guess] have been when I am asked to pay inflated 'Speeding Ticket' on the spot fines--and these are never in Chiang mai--mostly Tak/Kamphaeng Phet Provinces--in fact, on our last journey I was pleasantly surprised to be asked, straight off, for the correct amount of 200Baht unlike previous 'requests'.

All of this is horses for courses, and could be many different countries.

Been here a very long time, had both positive and negative experiences with police.

Until a few years back I lived in a gated village, a senior cop lived in one of the houses, everybody avoided any contact with the guy

because he had such a nasty disposition and reputation.

Most of the time the folks owning the houses either side of the guy and houses opposite parked their cars in other internal sois. The cop and his wife and kids had no hesitation to park all over the soi where their house was, block traffic from proceeding through the soi, even park in other folks driveways, at times they parked numerous police vehicles all over the villages making problems for many house owners.

The developer indicated politely that he would NOT approach the cop (about the parking and other items) under any circumstances.

I've also heard of several cases where the police have handled death of family members in road accidents with great sensitivity and kindness.

Edited by scorecard

Thai law enforcement are light years from being well trained and professional. They don't even enforce traffic laws. God help you if you ever need a police officer to respond to a crime in progress. On the bright side, they generally are friendly and don't bother foreigners or Thai citizens.

Canada has its excessive force and brutality issues, so just to put everything in perspective 3 real short very intensive videos

a 19yo kid alone on a street car with a 3" knife surrounded by police. 9 shots at point blank range then tazered

Toronto undercover cops at the G20 facing peaceful demonstrators, brave bunch

SCARY COP LADY - G20 BLACK BLOC POLICE? AGENT PROVOCATEURS?

Not so bad here

Doug

Edited by ThaiHerbs

If 'it' was a 'LadyBoy' it might work! for one or other.

Nice video did you make it your self? What do the numbers stand for? Are the numbers for the number of cows per square Kilometer or the number of 7/11s per square Kilometer?

What is the base for them are they being based on some thing in London , New York, Paris, Dubai or any town planet earth.

Basically a post for the Thais as the video is all in Thai. Why post such an obvious fake on an English speaking forum.

Sorry, Google translated it for me. It's a link where you can post where and when you were forced to pay a bribe.

There are versions for other countries than Thailand, so don't start jumping up and down.

If hellodolly actually took the time time to research what this website is about he would,nt have posted such dribble, its just a start and i,m happy about it...i dont hold too much expectation...i guess if it become too popular it will be blocked by the government in power at the moment,

Everyone should use this app while it lasts....it costs nothing.

I been here 10 years now, although i am often stopped and expected to hand over an illegal bribe i never have,

i do admit that 2 times i have paid fines ...one time for speeding of which i was guilty and 1 time when a pic of me shooting a red light came though the post of which i was,nt guilty which i paid at the vehicle registration office,

Mostly after just a few minutes at the side of the road the police will ask me to leave and even stop the traffic to allow me to escape their crime scene.

Do you think thailand is the first country to faced with the problem of a criminal police force who have little or no intention of being real police or enforcing the law?

Edited by tingtongfarang

For those here who are happy with the system as it is and readily hand over money to any official be they police or otherwise, try to think of the average thai citizen who for your version of law enforcement or justice is not an option,

Pray that if you are a victim of a crime that you have to deal with the son or nephew of beetlejuice because they are few and far between, if karma runs true and you have to deal with the guy who already commited a crime by taking a bribe at the same time you became a criminal by giving a bribe i garantie you are in the shit!

Edited by tingtongfarang

bah.gif

Majority of the thai population will not agree with you.