Dunkin' Donuts Thailand under fire for 'racist' ad campaign

webfact

Dunkin' Donuts apologises for 'bizarre and racist' Thai advert

Poster to promote new 'charcoal donut' featured Thailand chief executive's daughter in 'blackface"

Dunkin-Donuts-Thai-advert-010.jpg

Doesnt offend me much

and its not really that great of an advert, IMO

Me either. If they wanted realism they would have used a fat model.

ROFLMAO

Me too, FUNNY. The idea that Thais had no intention of being racist IMO, it just shows who is really hung up on race.

<p>

Poster to promote new 'charcoal donut' featured Thailand chief executive's daughter in 'blackface"

Why is this so offensive.

other than its not really that great of an advert, IMO.

Might be the campaign slogan I suppose, racist implication being that something black usually cannot be delicious/desirable. Could be wrong though.

Then could it not also just as easily be seen as supportive - and encouraging Thais to break from the stereotype of "whiter/lighter" is best

I doubt that was the intention.

• Like 1

Here is how Darlie looked when I first came to Thailand in '82. Remember a tube on some late night talk show being presented in US when Eddie Murphy was on. He about jumped out of his seat at the racism.... Personally, I find nothing wrong with the ad for the donuts. Lighten up, people! (hmm. wrong choice of words?) Darkie_Toothpaste.jpg

I don't see how racism it is. Dark, black or white Thai people is Thai and we don't split race by our skin colour, let alone discrimination. To Human Right Watch, you should not apply your racist phobia to this country, we are doing fine.

Sarcasm?

Why is this so offensive.

other than its not really that great of an advert, IMO.

There are segments of western society that are way over the top regarding what they feel is 'racist'. If the ad featured a green girl and a green donut, would that be racist? How about a blue girl and blue donut? Brown girl and brown donut?

The ad is novel. Like most ads, it meant to draw attention to the product. Racist? Hardly. I tend to believe that those who scream 'racism' the loudest are most likely to be inclined toward racism.

BTW, I like the ad. Makes me want to buy one of those deep, dark, charcoal donuts -- I love dark chocolate. Does that make me a racist?

I also love the Blue Man group. Am I a Blue Person racist? My recommendation to all people everywhere. Get over your skin color and concentrate on what's inside. You be a better person for it.

Soon they will ban Chocolate as it is racist in some way. Sad world we have made. sad.png

• Like 1

Doesnt the world know that asians are racist? I dont recall ever seeing light skinned actors on TV in Thailand, Philippines, and Malaysia.... One time I saw an old Thai drama on TV where the main "poor low class girl" used black face make up.

When they stop putting whitening agents in lotions and creams will be the day they stop being racist. I just live with it and pretend im in early 1900s america.

I watched a Thai comedy a couple of nights ago about an 'ugly duckling' teenage girl who was attracted to the most popular boy in the school. At the beginning of the movie, the teenager was made to have skin blemishes and her skin color was about three shades darker than any of her friends. I joked with my wife and said that by the end of the movie the girl will 'get the guy' and she'll have 'farang white' skin. Sure enough, by the end of the movie that girl looked like a farang superstar and her skin was whiter than my Barvian grandmother in middle of winter.

• Like 2

I don't see how racism it is. Dark, black or white Thai people is Thai and we don't split race by our skin colour, let alone discrimination. To Human Right Watch, you should not apply your racist phobia to this country, we are doing fine.

Sarcasm?

One sure would hope so!

Racist? If the ad had been in America, and the makeup for the model had clearly been an attempt to make her appear black, as in African black. But it doesn't - the ad is for charcoal donuts, sounds disgusting, sure, but not inherently linked to race. The picture itself is actually of a very pretty young lady, colored black. So what. And HRW gets its underwear in a knot over this? Come on, folks, there is plenty of more pertinent things in the world to get worked up over.

I still don't want to eat a charcoal donut!

Gee JT, maybe its just a phycological hangup with the shape...... maybe its the hole in the donut that really bugs you. How about if it was more cureller shape ???

wai2.gifwai2.gif

..... the devil made me do it..

Do what? Make up words? Did you mean a more 'suggestive' shape? It's OK - he devil makes me do a lot of stuff too.

In California, I went to get my wheels aligned after getting the whole front end examined, and all the necessary work done by a journeyman mechanic. The woman at the counter calls me and claims that I need the tie rod ends changed, and that by wheel bearings are shot. I go and present her with the work receipts that proved her wrong, but she is adamant that the work needed to be done. Finally she says,' it is women hating racists like you that ruin our country."

I'm sure she said '... woman-hating racists ...', but your rendition is even better. biggrin.png

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

This advert can only be seen is racist to racist people. Phil Robertson, you sir, are an idiot.

On this I would have to agree.....wouldn't have entered my head looking at that picture that it was racist but the man has his reasons

These people who advertise whiteners have brainwashed Thai people especially women for years into believing being white is more beautiful, higher class etc.

In the Uk eg it's the exact opposite.....woman spend fortunes on sun beds to get a tan like a Thai.

People like Robertson will jump on anything they can to get their message across and make a mountain out of a mole hill if they have to. As we see here people like Dunkin Donuts end up being dragged over the coals for next to nothing...........that's if you don't take into consideration their donuts are about the worst value on the planetbah.gif

Good interview here with Kaewmala on the blackening story and racism in Thailand in general... http://asiancorrespondent.com/112793/interview-with-kaewmala-on-doughnuts-blackface-and-actual-thai-racism/

Key quote: "It certainly is an undercurrent which many people sensitive to prejudices against dark skin point to in this particular case, even if they don’t think the Dunkin’ Donuts ad is racist. But before that let me say what I find more telling in the ad: the fact that the model is the daughter of the Thailand CEO of Dunkin Donuts! This nepotism is much more Thai than the blackface faux pas – even though the CEO is Lebanese."

• Like 2

In future, please do not change the font/emphasis in quoted posts of others. 1zgarz5.gif

Cheers, mate!

We're on different pages. I think you think the donut ad IS racist but that's OK because this is Thailand and isn't it great they are allowed to be openly racist here.

I think it's not the slightest bit racist, and the bozos who complained about it are total fools.

I don't expect Thailand to ever be the same as the west as far as cultural standards and norms.

But there are some things that happen here that discredit their nation in front of the entire world due to globalization.

That toothpaste thing had to go just as the Chiang Mai Nazi school parade needed to be apologized for.

I very much enjoy my Black Man Cleaning products and am looking forward to the Jew Man Accounting line, not that I do any accounting ...

But even in Thailand, there are limits.

Edited by Jingthing

Darkie brand really was racist. Nothing to do with the donuts thing.

You may try to convince a moderator to delete my posts again though I think I did not violate any rules. The thing is, whoever moderator deleted my posts, did not even have the courtesy to acknowledge it in your GAY related thread!

Does my post have relevence to the subject? Yes! It's about making a commercial using black people, isn't it? Darkie toothpaste went through the same as the current Dunkin Donut commercial!

You're talking trash. I have no idea what you're referring to and I suggest you avoid commenting about moderator issues on the forum.

Regarding the current topic in today's world, I think anyone with basic common sense can clearly see a huge difference between the old Darkie name and graphic and the bizarre donut ad.

I understand back in the olden days that Thailand was so incredibly isolated from the rest of the world that they get away with that old toothpaste thing. But they couldn't now and with good reason. That is clear. The donut thing, it's just totally different.

A good example today is the line of "Black Man" cleaning products. The phrase "Black Man" is not racist, rather it is dignified, and the image of their brand isn't bad either. However it's a bit borderline because they are for cleaning products and in the west you couldn't do that, because it suggests something about the role of black people being stereotyped into cleaning tasks. But it's still OK for Thailand. Maybe 50 years from now, not, who knows. Today in Thailand if they wanted there could be a company called "Jew Man Accounting Supplies" but not in the west.

Now that the idea is out there, don't be shocked to see a new company in Thailand slaughtering the competition in accounting supplies ...

Must be time for the old "if you don't like what they do here, go home".

One of the great things about Thailand is that it is still relatively untainted by awful western PC. Unfortunately, that seems to be changing.

I'm not going to get into whether Darkie toothpaste was racist or not, but if someone doesn't like a product for any reason, no one is forcing anyone to buy it. Ceretainly, IMO, the DD ad was NOT racist. Some people have too much time on their hands.

End of the day, it's Thailand, and they can do whatever they like without PC westerners poking their noses in what is none of their business.

BTW, the most racist people I know are not white.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

profile_mask2.png

Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunkin' Donuts.

Dunkin' Donuts is a global brand and as a global company we must be aware of the sensitivities of the many communities and cultures we serve in the 10,500 plus restaurants in 31 countries. In light of this, we made the decision in partnership with our franchisee in Thailand to pull the spot and to change the campaign moving forward.

We appreciate your feedback, and hope that you will continue to visit Dunkin' Donuts in the future. Thank you.

Laura
Guest Relations Coordinator

profile_mask2.png

Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunkin' Donuts.

Dunkin' Donuts is a global brand and as a global company we must be aware of the sensitivities of the many communities and cultures we serve in the 10,500 plus restaurants in 31 countries. In light of this, we made the decision in partnership with our franchisee in Thailand to pull the spot and to change the campaign moving forward.

We appreciate your feedback, and hope that you will continue to visit Dunkin' Donuts in the future. Thank you.

Laura

Guest Relations Coordinator

In short: She/they caved.

&lt;deleted&gt; kind of position is a 'Guest Relations Coordinator'? Oh, I see they're referring to 'customers' as 'guests'. A fertile environment for PCness.

Did the Thai 'guests' actually complain about the ad?

If they hadn't (in any material way), then perhaps, instead of this statement, a letter should have gone to HRW that the ad did not portray any particular ethnic group or culture and that it was simply a person covered with very dark chocolate, and not black-face makeup. And that if they had any problems with that, then they should have problems with the racial overtones of chocolate donuts as well.

Of course, there was her current and retirement income levels to consider ...

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

Darkie brand really was racist. Nothing to do with the donuts thing.

You may try to convince a moderator to delete my posts again though I think I did not violate any rules.  The thing is, whoever moderator deleted my posts, did not even have the courtesy to acknowledge it in your GAY related thread!

Does my post have relevence to the subject?  Yes!  It's about making a commercial using black people, isn't it?  Darkie toothpaste went through the same as the current Dunkin Donut commercial!

You're talking trash. I have no idea what you're referring to and I suggest you avoid commenting about moderator issues on the forum.

Regarding the current topic in today's world, I think anyone with basic common sense can clearly see a huge difference between the old Darkie name and graphic and the bizarre donut ad.

I understand back in the olden days that Thailand was so incredibly isolated from the rest of the world that they  get away with that old toothpaste thing. But they couldn't now and with good reason. That is clear. The donut thing, it's just totally different. 

A good example today is the line of "Black Man" cleaning products. The phrase "Black Man" is not racist, rather it is dignified, and the image of their brand isn't bad either. However it's a bit borderline because they are for cleaning products and in the west you couldn't do that, because it suggests something about the role of black people being stereotyped into cleaning tasks. But it's still OK for Thailand. Maybe 50 years from now, not, who knows. Today in Thailand if they wanted there could be a company called "Jew Man Accounting Supplies" but not in the west.

Now that the idea is out there, don't be shocked to see a new company in Thailand slaughtering the competition in accounting supplies ... 

Must be time for the old "if you don't like what they do here, go home".

One of the great things about Thailand is that it is still relatively untainted by awful western PC. Unfortunately, that seems to be changing.

I'm not going to get into whether Darkie toothpaste was racist or not, but if someone doesn't like a product for any reason, no one is forcing anyone to buy it. Ceretainly, IMO, the DD ad was NOT racist. Some people have too much time on their hands.

End of the day, it's Thailand, and they can do whatever they like without PC westerners poking their noses in what is none of their business.

BTW, the most racist people I know are not white.

They are not non-pc here; a common misperception. Truth is they don't care what foreigners say or do as long as it doesn't bother them simply because you just don't matter.

Through Thai eyes thailand may well be the most pc country on the planet. If you don't understand that its because you are ignorant of Thai culture

Imagine a world where you cannot offend or confront ANYONE. There is not even a word for "no" in the language. How's that for pc?;)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1