Phuket Opinion: The Carnival of Corruption

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: The Carnival of Corruption
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Tackling_corruption_and_other
Tackling corruption can only help Phuket become the dream island it wants to be. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: Corruption has publicly reared its ugly head as a topic of much heated debate, with one and all tacitly accepting that the situation in Phuket is out of hand. However, few are offering any realistic strategies to combat the problem at its roots: the well-entrenched mind-set that “playing by the rules is for suckers”.

The good news is that corruption, the island’s most fundamental problem, is finally getting the attention it deserves in the national and international media. Nonetheless, if concrete progress on tackling the problem is not achieved through efforts now underway, the only result will be more negative press for the island’s all-important tourism industry.

It’s true that Phuket’s tourism industry has been remarkably resilient over the years, having literally endured “hell and high water” (the 2004 tsunami disaster), horrific accidents (the OG269 plane crash in 2006), high-profile murders of foreign tourists and sustained environmental degradation, as well as many of the social ills that tend to occur in poorly regulated, rapidly urbanizing environments.

Despite all this, tourists continue to make their way here in record numbers. It appears possible that, if we seriously tackle these issues now, there is hope that Phuket can maintain its allure as one of the world’s premier resort-island destinations well into the future, at which time we would be able to look back at the current situation and view it simply as a period of “growing pains”.

However, reaching that stage will require some real leadership and genuine personal bravery, not the kind of blindfolded self-preservation and finger pointing that has appeared as a result of some recent allegations (story here).

Who might step up to the plate and take that role is anyone’s guess, as Thailand has not exactly excelled at producing grassroots leaders in its fight against corruption. Perhaps the country’s best-known anti-corruption figure is none other than Chuwit Kamolvisit, the former massage-parlor tycoon who went public with his own tale of paying millions of baht in bribes to cops, not initially on an ethical basis, but because he feared for his life (story here).

It is easy to dismiss corruption as an “inevitable” part of doing business and to point out that no country in the world is completely free of it. However, it cannot be ignored that the problem in Phuket has reached grave proportions and is extremely harmful to the island’s future.

For this reason it is imperative that these latest anti-corruption efforts not only achieve tangible results, but are also seen by the public as transparent and fair. It is only by convincing the public that the law applies to everyone equally that we can move forward to build the truly civil society that we are striving for.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-The-Carnival-of-Corruption-22121.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-01

• Like 1

I am inclined to not get overly excited about the question of corruption in Thailand. As I have said before, I don't believe (irrespective of any "rankings") that Thailand is more or less corrupt than any other country, including western countries—where corruption is far better hidden from gaze, and protected by laws (2008 and the banks, for eg). Corruption is endemic to the structure of society. If actions are banned, that the majority of people believe should be legal, then corruption will occur. The 1920s prohibition of liquor in the USA, for example. Bringing the army in will not solve anything, most likely make it worse. Legalizing gambling, soft drugs, hookers, and a few other things will remove the need for shady figures and the illicit flow of money, thus will corruption be slowed. Then of course, there is the wider issue of political corruption, that is a discussion for another day.

• Like 1

Maybe it is the Thai way of understanding democracy. If the majority accepts practice or benefit from corruption (from village teachers to bribing parents, cue jumpers, cops, to high ranking officials) then it’s the peoples will- so let it be.

I am inclined to not get overly excited about the question of corruption in Thailand. As I have said before, I don't believe (irrespective of any "rankings") that Thailand is more or less corrupt than any other country, including western countries—where corruption is far better hidden from gaze, and protected by laws (2008 and the banks, for eg). Corruption is endemic to the structure of society. If actions are banned, that the majority of people believe should be legal, then corruption will occur. The 1920s prohibition of liquor in the USA, for example. Bringing the army in will not solve anything, most likely make it worse. Legalizing gambling, soft drugs, hookers, and a few other things will remove the need for shady figures and the illicit flow of money, thus will corruption be slowed. Then of course, there is the wider issue of political corruption, that is a discussion for another day.

mmmmm . . . you've either not been here long, live in a little bubble or are blind to what is going on around you.

Thailand is one of THE most corrupt countries in the world with EVERYTHING and EVERYONE involved in corruption to a larger or smaller degree.

mmmmm . . . you've either not been here long, live in a little bubble or are blind to what is going on around you.

Thailand is one of THE most corrupt countries in the world with EVERYTHING and EVERYONE involved in corruption to a larger or smaller degree.

This is an interesting link.

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2012/results

Thailand is in a race to the bottom, as far as corruption is concerned. :)

It sits in between some African Nations.

Of course, it's still perfectly fine to "buy" property, invest, and do business here. laugh.png

In my opinion the local Phuket politicians and local police will NEVER clean up the problems in Phuket as they themselves are part of the problems most all of which involve somebody being paid off to allow the tuk tuks to gouge the crap out of people, jet ski mafias to scam the crap out of tourists, etc.

Perhaps the ONLY hope is for some intervention from Bangkok or an out of province military. Even so they would need to remove the cops and local politicians from the picture or as soon as the military leaves town they would go right back to the same old tricks.

Remember that Bangkok itself has one of the longest running scams EVER going on every single day at the Grand Palace where unsuspecting tourists are told the Palace is closed and then hustled off to a rip off jewelry factory. There are thousands of complaints that have been filed with TAT and the Thai government and the internet is full of story after story of the SAME OLE SCAM. Literally it would take some honest cops about one day to scout out the crooks and catch them red handed and ELIMINATE this long standing scam. But they don't do it. I have always been amazed that scamming right in front of the grand palace would not be considered a MAJOR INSULT to the monarchy. But yet it goes on and on and on.

So perhaps it's wishful thinking that Bangkok will clean up Phuket when it has it's own little scams that have been going for DECADES right in front of arguably the most famous tourist attraction in the entire country.

There are some people in Phuket who are making some SERIOUS big time money on these scams. BIG TIME MONEY.

In my opinion the local Phuket politicians and local police will NEVER clean up the problems in Phuket as they themselves are part of the problems most all of which involve somebody being paid off to allow the tuk tuks to gouge the crap out of people, jet ski mafias to scam the crap out of tourists, etc.

Perhaps the ONLY hope is for some intervention from Bangkok or an out of province military. Even so they would need to remove the cops and local politicians from the picture or as soon as the military leaves town they would go right back to the same old tricks.

Remember that Bangkok itself has one of the longest running scams EVER going on every single day at the Grand Palace where unsuspecting tourists are told the Palace is closed and then hustled off to a rip off jewelry factory. There are thousands of complaints that have been filed with TAT and the Thai government and the internet is full of story after story of the SAME OLE SCAM. Literally it would take some honest cops about one day to scout out the crooks and catch them red handed and ELIMINATE this long standing scam. But they don't do it. I have always been amazed that scamming right in front of the grand palace would not be considered a MAJOR INSULT to the monarchy. But yet it goes on and on and on.

So perhaps it's wishful thinking that Bangkok will clean up Phuket when it has it's own little scams that have been going for DECADES right in front of arguably the most famous tourist attraction in the entire country.

There are some people in Phuket who are making some SERIOUS big time money on these scams. BIG TIME MONEY.

"There are some people in Phuket who are making some SERIOUS big time money on these scams. BIG TIME MONEY." - that means there are some people on Phuket who are LOSING some SERIOUS big time money on these scams. BIG TIME MONEY. :) :)

What western country has a "taxi mafia" hidden form gaze; as you say?

Australia.. it was in the news paper so it must be true. "supposedly", the Indians have taken over ...

• Like 1

I think this says it all .... I believe that this mentality is widespread among Thais ..

the well-entrenched mind-set that “playing by the rules is for suckers”.

Sorry I can't offer a fix as this sort of attitude is self generating while the majority of Thais believe corruption is OK as long as they can also benefit from it ....

Thailand's corruption culture will not end overnight, or with occasional sporadic crackdowns. This is a mindset that has been generations in the making, even accepted as 'normal' by most Thais.

The key is a coordinated step by step solution, starting, most importantly, with education. Youngsters need to be taught what "corruption" is, how much it hurts everybody, and that it hampers the overall development of the nation.

I would guess this would take at least a couple of generations before seeing any tangible results. Especially given that today's teachers are already fully entrenched in that culture.

Add to that, that over time laws must be changed and/or created to define and identify "corruption", and punishment meted to deal with it. And those laws need to have real teeth, set precedents, and set examples.

Sooooo, maybe if they started tomorrow, we may start to see some changes - in about 30 or 40 years. And once again, I ain't holding my breath. (Nor will I be breathing in 30 or 40 years… )

There's corruption, and then there's exploitation of foreigners (unequal treatment under the law; 2-tier pricing; etc.). Those two domains do overlap a bit, but I think Thailand COULD put an end to foreign exploitation more quickly than it could end the culture of corruption. If there were a national will to do so. By NOT ending the exploitation, they're hurting themselves. I wish Thailand's academic and religious communities would get it in gear and start teaching this lesson. People might come to drink beer and sit on the beach, but they're not going to invest and build if they think they'll just get ripped off and be treated like an underclass.

Edited by hawker9000