Warning - always carry your passport or at least a copy.

keestha

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are valid DL off-course but i think that the 5 year DL is regarded some kind of higher standard in respect of stay.

Because only long term ( visa / extensions ) can have the 5 year DL.

I know this is not water proof and does not mean that the person has a valid stay but i think it helps.

That's not quite correct. Visa or extension type has nothing to do with one year or 5 year DL. The one year DL is your first DL issued, thereafter a 5 year DL is issued.

Clearly a DL does not give any sort of information on Visa or entry/exit status. immigration officers will demand your passport to check immigration status - end of story.

But 5 year DL is not issued on tourist visa or Visa exempt.

Bit of a grey area. Depends on the processing officer.

i ONLY carry my passport when i am going to be leaving thailand ( or on the way back )

this last trip up north by car i was stopped 3 times an asked for my passport ( this was on roads along the Burmese border).

seems whenever i am up in that area i am asked

Never been asked for it anywhere else since 1985

My 5 years license is good enough for airline check in and hotel check ins as well

i ONLY carry my passport when i am going to be leaving thailand ( or on the way back )

this last trip up north by car i was stopped 3 times an asked for my passport ( this was on roads along the Burmese border).

My 5 years license is good enough for airline check in and hotel check ins as well

Hotel check ins may change as well, since they seem to be getting more strict on the hotel owners fulfilling the legal requirement to report their guests to immigration. Visa information is required for that.

• Like 1

Hotel check ins may change as well, since they seem to be getting more strict on the hotel owners fulfilling the legal requirement to report their guests to immigration. Visa information is required for that.

Good point, specially as they are trying to enforce the reporting rule more and more during the last year or so.

But going by personal experience not many hotels (not one in my case) are refusing (yet) costumers on this ground.

(I know not many hotels are complying fully to this rule)

I don't have my passport with me but on advise from here i will take a picture of the relevant information with my phone.

So if required the hotel staff can still get the required information in case they don't accept the Thai DL.

I keep a copy of my important documents - I consider the passport being one of those - im my dropbox. (Get extra free space if you register here: http://db.tt/ICiqQYq)

I carry that cloud space on my tablet, mobile phone, or notebook and in case of emergency I can retrieve it on any computer with access to the internet. Quite convenient, I think, and I used it already. (I am not affiliated to dropbox except for being a happy customer.)

make sure than u have a copy of the TM as that's what they check more than anything.

I have been asked a few times for my passport in Thailand in the past few years when i give them my drivers license an just tell them its at home.

never been refused to be allowed to check in

Also if push comes to shove, i always travel with laptop an have copy of my passport on it

I've only been asked for my passport at immigration, banks, hotels, car and bike rentals and airlines. Never been asked by the police, even when I was stopped the two times in 8 years. But it sounds like a good idea to carry a copy of the front information page of my passport and my last visa extension in my wallet, along with my driver's license.

• Like 1

@ stevenl and merijn

It is correct you can only get the 1 year drivers licence, but you are just as legal on the road here with that licence, as you are with a 5 year licence.

My point is, how does the length/type of licence offer on the spot proof of your visa status?

My understanding is they are checking visa status, not identification, although you would think any proof of your passport number could also be used on the radio back to immigration for a check.

Both are valid DL off-course but i think that the 5 year DL is regarded some kind of higher standard in respect of stay.

Because only long term ( visa / extensions ) can have the 5 year DL.

I know this is not water proof and does not mean that the person has a valid stay but i think it helps.

So, an expat gets a 1 year retirement visa and then goes to The Land Transport Office and gets a 5 year diving/riding licence, then, his one year retirement visa expires and he overstays and produces his 5 year licence for the next 4 years.

Surely, you see my point.

The 5 year licence is no proof of a valid visa, unless the BIB, or Immigration Officers, radio in your passport number off that licence for a check.

I carry a colour copy of my travel insurance, emergency phone numbers (Thai and NZ), PP main page, visa page, latest entry, departure card, and 90 day reporting receipt. I would never carry the originals as if the BIB are on the scam they will (and do) use the fact that they have your passport as leverage to encourage a rather large donation to get it back.

Obviously I travel with the originals if I'm away from home, but even when asked I only ever offer the copies.

Also have a 5 year DL that I generally use for hotels or whatever.

• Like 1

I HAVE A 5 YEAR thai driving license which is sufficient

ABOUT TIME THE COPS WERE ABOUT,DOING THEIR JOBS,AND SHOWING TO THE PUBLIC THEY ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT CURRENT VISAS.

Are you sure a 5 year DL is sufficient? After all it contains no entry information, and no visa information as well.

There is a lot of discussing going on about this subject.

I believe that It is not really clear in the Thai immigration law.

All people need to carry identification papers on their person and tourist are required to carry their passport.

But long term expacts are not tourist and can have Thai DL issued.

In most of the times it is understood that a Thai DL is sufficient as it has the PP number on it and they can check the immigration status with this PP number.

But other people argues that this does not clearly shows the immigration status to the police at that stage and the PP should be shown at the spot or in a timely manner or a copy of the PP and immigration status should be used.

I think that it is at the judgement of the officer at that moment.

Personally i always use my Thai DL for identification ( traveling in Phuket but also for domestic air travel and hotels ) and never had any problem in over 20 years.

There are two laws. The Thai ID Card act states everyone (Thai or foreigner) must be able to provide legally issued identification to identify themselves when asked by a "competent official". A passport or a Thai DL can accomplish this. The immigration law requires foreigners to be able to show they have "legally entered the Kingdom". That is where copies of your passport and current entry stamp or visa seem to suffice A current issues and answers in the Phuket Gazette recently showed two separate opinions by two top cops about whether a photocopy would suffice.

• Like 1

ABOUT TIME THE COPS WERE ABOUT,DOING THEIR JOBS,AND SHOWING TO THE PUBLIC THEY ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT CURRENT VISAS.

Are you sure a 5 year DL is sufficient? After all it contains no entry information, and no visa information as well.

There is a lot of discussing going on about this subject.

I believe that It is not really clear in the Thai immigration law.

All people need to carry identification papers on their person and tourist are required to carry their passport.

But long term expacts are not tourist and can have Thai DL issued.

In most of the times it is understood that a Thai DL is sufficient as it has the PP number on it and they can check the immigration status with this PP number.

But other people argues that this does not clearly shows the immigration status to the police at that stage and the PP should be shown at the spot or in a timely manner or a copy of the PP and immigration status should be used.

Personally i always use my Thai DL for identification ( traveling in Phuket but also for domestic air travel and hotels ) and never had any problem in over 20 years.

There are two laws. The Thai ID Card act states everyone (Thai or foreigner) must be able to provide legally issued identification to identify themselves when asked by a "competent official". A passport or a Thai DL can accomplish this. The immigration law requires foreigners to be able to show they have "legally entered the Kingdom". That is where copies of your passport and current entry stamp or visa seem to suffice A current issues and answers in the Phuket Gazette recently showed two separate opinions by two top cops about whether a photocopy would suffice.

Can you confirm, if a Thai National is asked for "ID" by a competent official - if they produce a current Thai drivers/riders licence, does this suffice, or, they MUST produce their "National Thai ID Card?"

Are you sure a 5 year DL is sufficient? After all it contains no entry information, and no visa informa

a BIB can make a judgement at the moment come on ..

• Like 1

This has been argued many times here on this forum. Here's an interesting post from a member:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/page-4#entry5452041

The Thai law is clear as mud. Which is how they like it. Open to interpretation. This link shows the laws translated as best we can:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/page-2?p=5443292#entry5443292

And here's another listing of the laws:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

It's true most here have never been asked for their passport. It's also true many have been and have had to pay money or end up at the local police station if they didn't have their passport on them. And as we all know, the BiB like ways to make money. This is an easy one.

This has been argued many times here on this forum. Here's an interesting post from a member:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/page-4#entry5452041

The Thai law is clear as mud. Which is how they like it. Open to interpretation. This link shows the laws translated as best we can:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/page-2?p=5443292#entry5443292

And here's another listing of the laws:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

It's true most here have never been asked for their passport. It's also true many have been and have had to pay money or end up at the local police station if they didn't have their passport on them. And as we all know, the BiB like ways to make money. This is an easy one.

Herein lies the problem - Competent official! find one of those if you can!

• Like 1

I have no idea what is acceptable in Phuket, but in Pattaya there is a guy who creates wallet sized laminated cards which the Immigration folks accept as valid. One side shows the face sheet of your passport, while the other side shows the cover of your passport and the page with the current visa. Apparently this arrangement was worked out between one of the expat clubs and the Immigration folks.

Pretty easy to do yourself with a Photoshop program and then have it laminated at a Maiboxes, etc. location

If i read this correctly ( i don't how accurate the translation is ) it says that you are considered in violation of this act in case you can not show your immigration status AND no way of identification.

As the Thai DL is a official Thai government identification method i would presume that you comply with the identification request.

Therefore they don't have a reason to arrest you as you are not in violation with the act but still have to produce evidence regarding the immigration status in one or the other way.

I agree that this is trying my luck and nobody knows how the officers would react in every separate case when you are stopped. sad.png

I have no idea what is acceptable in Phuket, but in Pattaya there is a guy who creates wallet sized laminated cards which the Immigration folks accept as valid. One side shows the face sheet of your passport, while the other side shows the cover of your passport and the page with the current visa. Apparently this arrangement was worked out between one of the expat clubs and the Immigration folks.

Pretty easy to do yourself with a Photoshop program and then have it laminated at a Maiboxes, etc. location

What is acceptable in Pattaya is not acceptable on Phuket. Eg. baht buses. :)

Phuket is a different country with different carrying your passport laws. :)

If i read this correctly ( i don't how accurate the translation is ) it says that you are considered in violation of this act in case you can not show your immigration status AND no way of identification.

As the Thai DL is a official Thai government identification method i would presume that you comply with the identification request.

Therefore they don't have a reason to arrest you as you are not in violation with the act but still have to produce evidence regarding the immigration status in one or the other way.

I agree that this is trying my luck and nobody knows how the officers would react in every separate case when you are stopped. sad.png

I wouldn't rely on this translation. The net is you need to have a document showing you are legally in the Kingdom. A Thai DL doesn't prove this. As we know, this gets interpreted differently by different officials in different locations. Some get away with a laminated copy, some don't. Some get away with a Thai DL, some don't.

As I've posted before, it's kinda like car insurance. I've had it for 35 years and have never had to use it. But I have it just in case.

Here's what the British Embassy says:

http://uk-passport-service-guide.com/british-embassy-thailand

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

What is acceptable in Pattaya is not acceptable on Phuket. Eg. baht buses. smile.png

Phuket is a different country with different carrying your passport laws. smile.png

That may well be in practice, but it would seem to be an easy issue to resolve in discussions between consulate and the Immigration office there, particularly with the arrangement here being used as precedent.

Carrying one's actual passport is not only a pain, but also significantly increases the potential for having it lost or stolen, which makes it an issue of concern to consulates and embassies.

What is acceptable in Pattaya is not acceptable on Phuket. Eg. baht buses. smile.png

Phuket is a different country with different carrying your passport laws. smile.png

That may well be in practice, but it would seem to be an easy issue to resolve in discussions between consulate and the Immigration office there, particularly with the arrangement here being used as precedent.

Carrying one's actual passport is not only a pain, but also significantly increases the potential for having it lost or stolen, which makes it an issue of concern to consulates and embassies.

Just recently, we had a Honorary Consul's health, safety and business threatened by an Immigration Official on Phuket. He has since announced his resignation. smile.png

You don't "resolve" issues on Phuket. You do what you are told and put up with the BS, and pay top dollar to be here for that privilege. smile.png

You obviously live in a different country to Phuket. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Just recently, we had a Honorary Consul's health, safety and business threatened by an Immigration Official on Phuket. He has since announced his resignation. smile.png

<snip>

Don't make a connection between 2 totally unrelated events.

You don't "resolve" issues on Phuket. You do what you are told and put up with the BS, and pay top dollar to be here for that privilege. smile.png

You obviously live in a different country to Phuket. smile.pngsmile.png

Hmmm, I guess in all of my innumerable trips to Phuket over the past three decades, I must have missed the fact that they had instituted a feudal system of government there with lords and serfs.

Tell you what. I'll just leave you alone to wallow around in your own little pity pool, and continue to enjoy myself in Thailand - all parts of it.

• Like 1