How does Agoda work?

watcharacters

Agoda

I only realized recently there is an indication as to how many guests are allowed in any rented room. I've made a number of past bookings but failed to notice that.

I also think in the past, the posted room rate included taxes and services. That's not the case now, and so be it.

But I wonder how I can discern the difference in rooms. I look at sites and see the same room description posted with very different rates.

HOw does that work.. Is there difference between a room advertised at one rate and another at a 20 - 40% higher rate with the same room description?

How's that work?

If you book by any online non-direct web site, you will likley be charged extra on arrival if you have more than 2 adults and 1 or 2 children per room. Recently had to pay for 3 adults after booking online from a hotels.com booking even though indicated in the comments section that the 2 rooms would have 2 adults and a teenager in 1 room and 2 adults and a child in the other.

Always check the hotels website before booking through agoda or any 3rd party. Many hotels in Thailand now have better deals when you book direct.

Agoda already have the 'number of guest' indication for a long while. correct, there is no difference ( or minor difference ) between 1 or 2 guests. more than 2, including children then better check the hotel website for clarity.

room rate these days are all quoted without tax and service, Agoda gives you the full payment calculation at the check out, of course you have to pay for it. some 3rd party booking agents try to confuse this, also on the availability of breakfast.

the booking conditions make the differences on the booking rate, for example - refund conditions. although Agoda said 'refundable' but in fact in a very low percentage. while airlines always fully booked and won't allow date change, I used to book the lowest rate without refund without date change.

If you book by any online non-direct web site, you will likley be charged extra on arrival if you have more than 2 adults and 1 or 2 children per room. Recently had to pay for 3 adults after booking online from a hotels.com booking even though indicated in the comments section that the 2 rooms would have 2 adults and a teenager in 1 room and 2 adults and a child in the other.

Always check the hotels website before booking through agoda or any 3rd party. Many hotels in Thailand now have better deals when you book direct.

Thanks jmccarty,

We'll be heading to Vietnam but your suggestion is well taken although I've never personally found any rack rate to be lower than a consolidator's There's always a first time, however.

Seems your example shows you paid for 4 adults and one teenager. Strange accounting, indeed.

Agoda already have the 'number of guest' indication for a long while. correct, there is no difference ( or minor difference ) between 1 or 2 guests. more than 2, including children then better check the hotel website for clarity.

room rate these days are all quoted without tax and service, Agoda gives you the full payment calculation at the check out, of course you have to pay for it. some 3rd party booking agents try to confuse this, also on the availability of breakfast.

the booking conditions make the differences on the booking rate, for example - refund conditions. although Agoda said 'refundable' but in fact in a very low percentage. while airlines always fully booked and won't allow date change, I used to book the lowest rate without refund without date change.

Thanks ETatBKK,

Yeah I now understand the occupancy designation. I guess it was just an incredible stroke of luck I never had an issue with it upon check in considering all the bookings I've made.

I'm fairly sure the taxes and service fee non inclusion is relatively recent. I realize all costs are presented upon final confirmation and I've no problem with that.

I do still wonder why so many rooms have different prices when the room descriptions are absolutely identical.

Anybody able to hazard a guess about that??

Some agencies charge 10 percent commission others 15 or even 20 percent probably why you see the difference in rates as the hotel wants to make the same rate from all. There's also a clause that says the hotel can't charge less than the agency but I've often got better rates direct and a better room going through the hotel itself as they don't have to minus commission to the agency.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would say do check with the Hotel itself before booking for rates....

On paper or web page look a good deal to get 60% off, been burned a few time with Agoda..

Must add it is not just Agoda, but other Hotel booking sites as well...

Low season is mostly OK for Hotels and walk in, find a couple you like on Agoda, and save address and walk-in, often is far cheaper....

eg: booked a 60% off room 4* Hotel @ 1,150 baht per night, asking at the desk price of room 599 baht, [low season] been there often since booking direct with Hotel by phone,

I used Agoda while traveling in Vietnam last year for 14 days and was very satisfied with the rates I received and the rooms we had.

I used the customer reviews as a guide; ignoring the over the top raves and below the belt rants. We were never disappointed and never paid more than $20 per night.

Thanks ETatBKK, Yeah I now understand the occupancy designation. I guess it was just an incredible stroke of luck I never had an issue with it upon check in considering all the bookings I've made. I'm fairly sure the taxes and service fee non inclusion is relatively recent. I realize all costs are presented upon final confirmation and I've no problem with that.

I do still wonder why so many rooms have different prices when the room descriptions are absolutely identical. Anybody able to hazard a guess about that??

Sometimes Agoda will have a certain number of rooms (of a certain type) with some kind of discount. You may see, for example, "Superior" room listed with a "Insider Deal" or some other type of discount and then "Superior" rooms listed without that discount. That may be the difference in the rooms that you are looking at.

I have used Agoda on many occasions and found them to be very competitive and often better than dealing direct with the hotel, the hotel deals vary depending on who you are talking too and how much say they have in any discounting. In low season I just turn up and barter at the desk.

It is up to the hotel to set the rates. Some rooms are allocated at a special rate but once that allocation is used up the normal rate applies. That is why you may see different rates for the same room.

The tax and service fee percentage is set and it is there just to make the rate look more attractive. Smaller establishments do not pay VAT or charge a service fee in reality but Agoda makes it look like you do.

Most third party agents ask for parity, i,e, the same rate across all websites, but this is not always abided by by the hotels. Trivago and hotelscombined show comparative rates and you can choose the best deal.

Certain websites, such as Agoda, have their own points incentive schemes which are good for frequent travellers in particular and make the customer more likely to use them. Agoda's is very easy to use.

I have found you get a better rate at big hotels using Agoda etc, but smaller hotels and guesthouses can often offer discounts if you book directly.

Finally, Wotif and its offshoots offer mystery hotels at prices well below Agoda. You just have to try to work out what the hotels are. I stayed at the Hua Hin Hilton last year, for example, at 3000 baht per night when the Agoda rate was 6000 baht. Well worth a look.

I do still wonder why so many rooms have different prices when the room descriptions are absolutely identical.

Anybody able to hazard a guess about that??

Have a look at the cancellation policy for the identical listings. I have seen where a higher price can be cancelled, but a lower price is subject to full charge in cases of no show / cancellation.

• Like 1

Here's a top tip that isn't generally used. Hotel rates are dependant on world regions. If you claim to be Asian you get one rate, if you're European another. My trick is to be Israeli. Their rates are much lower and a lot of them have 2 passports so there are no questions asked at check in. Good eh :-) I've only ever had success with 2 companies, one in Koh Samui and one in Koh Phangan. I tried using that big one in Bangkok but when I got there they had <deleted> up my booking. No problem with my nationality though, just a useless company. Give it a go but don't over do it, it's my cheap holidays at stake.

Always found direct to be same or in most cases MORE than agency prices, never could figure that out as direct they dont have to pay commission.

Best way of all in my experience, when booking in Thailand, is get a Thai to phone the hotel, best rates and no screw ups, every time!