Is it safe for a foreigner to marry a Thai?

webfact

Don't forget that bad news sells much better than good news. The media very seldom does a story on the successful loving marriages between Thais and farangs. So if all you know is what the newspapers and broadcast news tells you about this subject then you're bound to think the worst.

And if your rely upon what the Thai-phobic posters on TV have to say about the matter ... or anything else about Thailand and Thais ... you would never set foot on Thai soil.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Precisely.

If you are a scheming, calculating person anywhere in the world, the odds are

that you are going to be miserable. Marriage is serious business, and should

not be entered into lightly; if you cannot trust your wife, you should not be

married.

I have now been married for 10 years, and am very happy. My Thai wife and I

have lived in several countries, and we have always worked together and

enjoyed life.

However, she does not want to live in Thailand, and I can understand why.:)

I have known my wife for 20 years, we have been married for 14 years and have a 9 year old son.

She owns all the land and property and the truck and I own my personal stuff and a couple of motorbikes.

Do I feel safe? Of course I do, why wouldn't I?

If she dies before me it all goes to our son and I am his Dad and legal guardian so I have no problem there.

Yup, I remember the case where the family chased the guy, shot him with an antique musket, then clubbed him to death and dragged the body to the royal game preserve whereupon the tigers ate what was left.

This is not the same case, but I guess "feed 'em to the tigers" is common in some areas...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thai-woman-admits-feeding-her-british-husband-to-tigers-410250.html

Seriously though, avoid bargirls (rule #1)--and if you ever cheat--remove all sharp objects in the house first.

13years on and I am still alive.

The guy found 4 cases with the common denominator being (apart from getting killed) a rather significant age gap (a generation) between the husbands and wife.

Also from reading, it seems the author never actually set foot in Thailand to do any research.

Well, my girlfriend and I moved together 4 years ago. After the first 8 months living together, I lost everything and went personal bankrupt due to a business partner cheating me for EVERYTHING.

Although our lifestyle completely changed from that point, my girlfriend still stayed by my side and supported me (mentally and financially). Had it not been for her, I do not know where I would have been today, since I have no one else than her.

Today, I have managed to get myself financially and mentally back on my feet, so I can now again also bring in my share financially. My girlfriend and I are having a baby in 5 months and plan to get married before that. Both her parents are dead, so we do not have anyone to support or anything else like that. She has her own little shop and works like hell every day, for our small family.

I know all the bad stories about Thai-women, but I can also say that there are fantastic Thai-women out there. I for sure love, trust and respect my girlfriend more than anyone on this earth. When I went through my bankruptcy, I realized that all the friends, I though I had could care less and the only person that I could trust was my girlfriend.

In fact, I would say that my Thai-girlfriend saved me through the worst time of my life and I would do anything for her. So... "YES" it is safe to marry a Thai, but you just have to find the right one!

Sometimes I think, I must be a perfect example of the fact, that not all Thai-women choose to live with a Farang because of the money. When I met my girlfriend, I was in pretty good shape financially. Now I have nothing, but she is still here and I think it will be very hard to get rid of her :-) (She says she will kill me, if I ever leave her)...

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

They can be dangerous! I made it 19+ years before she pulled out a gun.I blamed the change of life, regardless it changed mine! Spent the last 5 years with a new one . Can't even imagine waking up bedside a women my age (mid sixty ) I will stay with the crazy Thais

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are in a happy marriage then all is fine and the poor souls who get murdered or scammed are just the few unfortunate ones. Group 1

If you have been scammed one way or another you will see and hear about all the multitudes of others who have suffered the same fate and then you will realize how I'll nformed you were when you were in group 1

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I hear all of these guys happily married for 5, 10, 15 years, no problem. Then I hear horror stories that occur after 20 years, and there was a thread in the marriage and divorce section where a 30 year marriage turned into a nightmare.

All I can say is that it isn't over until it's over and I have no faith in a seemingly happy 10 or 20 year marriage in any country. Even in America a "happy" 20 year marriage can suddenly turn into an emotional and financial nightmare.

I certainly wouldn't get married to have a great sex life. It seems like marriage can often turn off the tap and you're stuck.

I'll stay single and keep my scalp and my money, and sleep with someone who's good at it, thank you.

• Like 2

For British people there are problems as the government has changed the laws on immigration. There are now two classes of British people, these are those who have an income of £26,500 or more and those who have less.

Only the people with an income greater than £26.5K are allowed to bring home a foreign spouse (European Union Citizens are of course exempt)

Presumably those with an income less than £26.5K are expected to make do with "bashing the bishop".

They can be dangerous! I made it 19+ years before she pulled out a gun.I blamed the change of life, regardless it changed mine! Spent the last 5 years with a new one . Can't even imagine waking up bedside a women my age (mid sixty ) I will stay with the crazy Thais

If you are in a happy marriage then all is fine and the poor souls who get murdered or scammed are just the few unfortunate ones. Group 1

If you have been scammed one way or another you will see and hear about all the multitudes of others who have suffered the same fate and then you will realize how I'll nformed you were when you were in group 1

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I hear all of these guys happily married for 5, 10, 15 years, no problem. Then I hear horror stories that occur after 20 years, and there was a thread in the marriage and divorce section where a 30 year marriage turned into a nightmare.

All I can say is that it isn't over until it's over and I have no faith in a seemingly happy 10 or 20 year marriage in any country. Even in America a "happy" 20 year marriage can suddenly turn into an emotional and financial nightmare.

I certainly wouldn't get married to have a great sex life. It seems like marriage can often turn off the tap and you're stuck.

I'll stay single and keep my scalp and my money, and sleep with someone who's good at it, thank you.

if you cant see any other reason for marriage besides a good sex life, then youre making the right decision. Most folks can however.

• Like 1

if you cant see any other reason for marriage besides a good sex life, then youre making the right decision. Most folks can however.

If you read all of what I wrote, only the last bit is about sex. Now, please read the first two paragraphs again. Relationships are complex, not simplistic.

I think there are some basic factors that always creates problems in many Thai/Farang relationships:

1. The man often makes (or has) the money and supports the woman.

2. Large age difference.

3. Cultural misunderstandings or lack of understanding each other.

4. Different language, educational level etc. causing many misunderstandings.

5. Different expectations before and during the marriage.

6. One or both have kids from previous relationships, which can turn out to be a problem.

7. The woman expects that the man supports her mother, father etc.

8. Farang-man and/or Thai-woman can not stop butterflying, partying etc.

In general, the smartest thing would be to stay single and just enjoy life while here - because there are so many things that can go wrong. Add to that many temptations (super hot girls) for us Farang-men here and the anger/jealousy of Thai-women, then you got the perfect recipe for an atomic-bomb.

So staying single is absolutely not the stupidest thing to do in Thailand (Was also my plan...). Just make sure you avoid "the one" and do not fall in love ;-)

• Like 2

I came home last night at about 11 slightly the worse for wear, sang a few verses of Nellie Dean, let the dog out and he wouldn't come back in, called her sister "Pumpkin" and squeezed her cheeks, missed the bog (20%) while having a wazz, then fell asleep on the sofa with Misfits playing on the stereo and the wife is merely glaring at me this morning so I'd say it's fairly safe.

Wow you are a classy man, bet every country would want you.

• Like 1

Came to Chiang Mai a little over 6 years ago for a much needed vacation. Stayed at a 5 Star hotel and met a beautiful and charming woman working Customer Service at the front desk. I was 58, but looked younger, and she was 48, but looked 35 or so, with an incredible body maintained by 2 hours in a gym 5 days a week. After 4 days of talking to her when I could, she agreed to have dinner with me somewhere away from the hotel as to not risk her job. When I returned to the States we kept in touch with email and Yahoo Messenger on a daily basis. I made 3 more trips here over the next 8 months. On the last one we got married, and bought a house, putting it in the name of her and her son, who was 23 at the time.

To make a long story short, 2 years later I legally adopted her son, and then HE legally changed his last name to mine, telling me, and others, he did it out of respect for me. We're going on 5 1/2 years now, and could not want a better wife. We both worked hard to understand and work out our cultural differences, and yes, we've had our share of disagreements.

Her family all love and respect me, and only once has any of them asked for money, and that was an emergency situation which I had no problem with, and the money was repaid as quickly as possible.

Overall, I couldn't be happier, or more lovingly taken care of.

Right.....is this to wind some readers up!

I am more than happy being married to my Falang wife most friends we know who are married to Thai woman are always moaning that they have no money most are my age 62 and have a Thai son/daughter below 6 years of age do I need say any more NO !!!!!!!!!!

very well said, I am in same boat my friend, couple of minutes she cried, " Momi ngn" I dont have money....thanks pal

Remember the parable told by the philosopher and Nobel prize winner, Bertrand Russell about the turkey who is very happy that the farmer provides a nice shelter and comes every morning and gives him food. As it happens every day and there is no change in the farmer's behaviour, the turkey makes the mistake of assuming that the future will always be the same as the past and learns his lesson too late when the farmer slips out the cleaver to chop his head off at Christmas.

Maybe the headline should read.

Is it Safe for a Foreigner to Marry a Thai Bargirl?

Many Farangs have married everyday Thai women are raising normal families and living normal lives. It is just my guess that many of the farangs that run foul with Thai women is that they have fallen in love with the 1st young girl that said "you very handsome man, you have wife?" They have actually fallen head over heels with the false smiles and words and don't realise that the moment they walked into that bar they were a scam target.

I think most of they Thai women are sincere. You don't go to a brothel back home in search of bride. Just look in the right places and away from the sleaze and you reduce your risks of suicide and being scammed dramatically.

In almost all of the reported murder cases of farangs--the woman was in her 40's and not a bargirl. So while marrying a bargirl may be a bad idea, marrying an older professional may be more deadly.

• Like 1

Article shouldn't have even been posted. The writer at meebal always tries to stir up controversy when there isn't any. He digs for dirt. Takes cheap shots at issues that aren't. There good reporting and bad reporting. He's in the bad category. And yes I've written to the writer telling him so and others should tell him so too.

• Like 2

I Would say it all depends on the girl and of corse the family behind her ,,, putting her under pressure to supply money ,,as all over the World some are good and some, like my wifes family are bad ,,As with some Thai Girls no its not love,its lies and deceit, cheating ,sceaming ,,anything to make money number one,,I am currently waiting for my divoice from her ..This week she has put me in Hospital after driving her car into me,, i am lucky to be alive ,There where plenty of witness , to the event and at the Police station it was agreed to press charges for atempted murder .I have since learnt that she wrote here car off last night so at least she can,t try to kill me with that anymore .Look we all know that there are lots of Thai Girls who want to love and look after Falangs, ,But do be care full you guys when starting a relationship with a Thai Girl I,ll let you all know how i get on in court with the attempted murder charge If i,m still alive that is!!!

The question should be "Do you deserve a Thai Wife?" If you are a douche bag foreigner husband - you would not be safe anywhere. Remember Lorena Bobbitt?

No, I don't deserve a Thai Wife, and thank God for that, life in Thailand is to good without any native telling me when to go out and come home at night. I don't need a jealous thai woman who decide what bar I can drink my beer and who I can talk with, yes like most of us I had a GF but felt like she tried to control my life and money, maybe I'm selfish or maybe I got tired of sick buffaloes all the time, at least now I don't give a rats azz when a bar girl tell me about sick buffaloes back home thumbsup.gif

Maybe the headline should read.

Is it Safe for a Foreigner to Marry a Thai Bargirl?

Many Farangs have married everyday Thai women are raising normal families and living normal lives. It is just my guess that many of the farangs that run foul with Thai women is that they have fallen in love with the 1st young girl that said "you very handsome man, you have wife?" They have actually fallen head over heels with the false smiles and words and don't realise that the moment they walked into that bar they were a scam target.

I think most of they Thai women are sincere. You don't go to a brothel back home in search of bride. Just look in the right places and away from the sleaze and you reduce your risks of suicide and being scammed dramatically.

How very true. Not saying that ALL Bar Girls are scamsters but you are right. You wouldn't go to a Brothel in your home country to find someone to marry.

Been married to one for over twenty years and she hasn't killed me yet.

Maybe she is crossing her t's and dotting her i's.

Just kidding, well done 20 yrs is good going and I hope you have another 20. I still have a little way to go to match you but everything is flowing smoothly.

Well, I have to admit she urged me to get life insurance many years ago. Maybe she's just happy to wait until I go naturally!

Better hope she keeps her patience then hadn't you. I'm sure people become less tolerant of delay as they get older.

Don't want to worry you, just saying.

Well done anyway.

• Like 1

..........that and the fact that everyone, including the Thai government are aware of the marriage industry whereby the Thai women become rich, by their previous standards...and the Westerners become poor....or sick...or deported....or dead....

....and the Thai government has done nothing to stop it....these dozens of years.....

Why would the Thai Government do anything to stop it? and how many Countries do you know that are building up their new housing stocks for free?

All attracted by a sustainable commodity,which never goes out of Fashion!