St Georges Day.

redrus

When I grew up here, we were very much "British", but I guess that might have been at the expense of the other members of the UK? Perhaps a little patronising? I now regard myself as English first and foremost and like a lot of others, am very proud of that fact.

This is all the fault of the Scots, Welsh and Irish.

We are no longer a United Kingdom, they all want autonomy.

Soon we will be going the way of Yugoslavia and splitting up into separate countries. :D

This is why I find the mad rush into Europe so strange, when other

confederations like Yugoslavia and Russia have been split up

over the 20 years.

I wonder if it will happen in the USA as well? :o

Edited by astral

I proudly fly my English flag (the cross of St. George) from my car every St. Georges day. (Yeah, OK, I'll be doing the same come the summer as well.)

Fascists groups such as the BNP have tried to snatch the English flag, and the Union flag, from us, but I'm glad to see that, even if it's just for football, normal decent people are taking it back. Being proud of your country does not make you a racist; just ask Linford Christie, Ian Wright, Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Nasser Hussein etc.!

For a brief history of St. George, see here.

One interesting point not mentioned in that article is that the original patron saint of England was St. Edward the Confessor. However, in the 14th century the Plantagenets, being French, did not want a Saxon king as their patron, so they replaced him with St. George.

(More relevant in the immigration forum, St. Edward is the patron saint of, among other things, separated spouses!)

• 2 weeks later...
At least in Thailand you’re allowed to wave St. George’s flag. In England, many councils forbid it, lest it might offend some believers of non-Christian faiths. Political correctness gone mad.
It's nothing to do with right-wing football hooligans, the BNP and England's less than sqeaky clean history then, is it?

I couldn’t trace earlier newspaper reports on bans of flying the England flag but here’s a story I read today.

England flag ban fury

“...the Cross of St George could offend ethnic minorities.”

--------------

Maestro

At least in Thailand you’re allowed to wave St. George’s flag. In England, many councils forbid it, lest it might offend some believers of non-Christian faiths. Political correctness gone mad.
It's nothing to do with right-wing football hooligans, the BNP and England's less than sqeaky clean history then, is it?

I couldn’t trace earlier newspaper reports on bans of flying the England flag but here’s a story I read today.

England flag ban fury

--------------

Maestro

Ashfaq Siddique, secretary of Barking Mosque, said: “We’re not offended — it’s a national flag.”

Ok, so now Muslims can can say that its ok and, still we can't fly them. Why the **** do we need permission from anyone....!

redrus

• 11 months later...

I had to remove my St. Georges Flag from outside my house when a coalition of lesbian dragons complained to my local council.

They said the flag represented a phallo-centric celebration of white male aggression and genocide towards dragons generally, and they picketed my house and burned effigies of St. George.

I politely removed the flag and made a contribution to "The Single Parent Black Lesbian Dragon Theatre Group Workshop Collective", and they left me alone after that...

Funny old world, innit?

England flag ban fury

--------------

Maestro

Ashfaq Siddique, secretary of Barking Mosque, said: “We’re not offended — it’s a national flag.”
Ok, so now Muslims can can say that its ok and, still we can't fly them. Why the **** do we need permission from anyone....!

redrus

THis link is to the Sun Newspaper, typical tory rag stirring up racial hatred, as they do every St Georges day

I had to remove my St. Georges Flag from outside my house when a coalition of lesbian dragons complained to my local council.

They said the flag represented a phallo-centric celebration of white male aggression and genocide towards dragons generally, and they picketed my house and burned effigies of St. George.

I politely removed the flag and made a contribution to "The Single Parent Black Lesbian Dragon Theatre Group Workshop Collective", and they left me alone after that...

Funny old world, innit?

Cripes they got you as well! They came round my house on St David's day and said my Welsh flag was a symbol of the unjust imprisonment and exploitation of dragons for male dominated sociopolitical oppression of lesbian enlightenment.

I told them to <deleted> off and got served with an ASBO and sentenced to 100,000 hours community service working in the "One Legged Lithuanian Roofing Contractors Support Group".

you were lucky........

I dream for the chance to work in the "One Legged Lithuanian Roofing Contractors Support Group" - Luxury

When they saw my flag, the whole street surrounded my house, burnt it down, with me in it and I suffered a horrible death with 4th (not 3rd mind) degree burns covering 110% of my body..

England flag ban fury

--------------

Maestro

redrus

THis link is to the Sun Newspaper, typical tory rag stirring up racial hatred, as they do every St Georges day

Typical Ruppi Mur-duck krup :o

.....biased to play on insecure peoples fears and he has a target "ChaV" audience but most can see through it and apart from a few low lifes dont think anyone takes him tooo seriously.........

Now...who was it.. who was supposed to eat my hamster?....

Re: St Georges night ...we had a good one in the old local..

Hundreds of wee red and white flags were a flying while Peggy (the landlady) laid on a seafood buffet with trad cockles and mussels and buckets of Jellied eels...lots of luvly jubly bones to chew on... :D

K.Wife did some Thai spring rolls with a bit of hot chilly dipping sauce......went down a treat..they did......lawn ..lawn....

Couple of new ales on tap including "Sweet Chariot" with the muic provided by Chas and Dave ( regulars) and a bit of a knees up before midnight ....

Old Flo ...nice old duck...from up the "igh flats does luv to over do it and show her knickers when dancing but then she is over 90 and as long as shes enjoying herself ...why not? .......roll on next year.... :D ...havin.. a laff.... :D

England flag ban fury

--------------

Maestro

redrus

.....biased to play on insecure peoples fears and he has a target "ChaV" audience but most can see through it and apart from a few low lifes dont think anyone takes him tooo seriously.........

Hundreds of wee red and white flags were a flying while Peggy (the landlady) laid on a seafood buffet with trad cockles and mussels and buckets of Jellied eels...lots of luvly jubly bones to chew on... :D

K.Wife did some Thai spring rolls with a bit of hot chilly dipping sauce......went down a treat..they did......lawn ..lawn....

Couple of new ales on tap including "Sweet Chariot" with the muic provided by Chas and Dave ( regulars) and a bit of a knees up before midnight ....

Old Flo ...nice old duck...from up the "igh flats does luv to over do it and show her knickers when dancing but then she is over 90 and as long as shes enjoying herself ...why not? .......roll on next year.... :D ...havin.. a laff.... :D

This aint you is it me ol' china...?

post-36282-1177921006_thumb.jpg

England flag ban fury

--------------

Maestro

redrus

This aint you is it me ol' china...?

Bleeding "ell mate got me sussed out in a woner dint-cha.....cor blimey.. luv a duck...got me saturday night tin on as well... :D ...gawd bless...