3 month stay in Thailand. 1 question remains unanswered......Help?

PLEASE help. 2nd visit to Thailand coming up (to research retiring there in 2014) and even after searching for quite a long time, I cannot seem to see this question addressed:

Ok, so I understand about the tourist visa (60 days). And I also understand about extending that visa 30 additional days (for 1900 baht) once while in Thailand. What I don't understand is how I just show up at the LAX airport (USA) with my 60 day tourist visa YET MY RETURN FLIGHT IS 90 DAYS AWAY. Couldn't they not allow me to board since it looks as if I am intentionally planning on overstaying my visa? Saying "Oh, I plan on doing that in Thailand" might not satisfy them. And to complicate things further, I am of the understanding that the 30 day extension is NOT automatic and can be denied. Can someone help me with this please as I intend to purchase my airline ticket in the near future.

Am I doing this right by purchasing a roundtrip ticket of 90 day duration (Jan 6-March 6 approx), showing up at the airport with just a 60 day tourist visa (applied for in USA before leaving), and HOPING to extend it 30 days while in Thailand? Or...is there a better way?

Thank you very much. 1st time poster here.

I can't speak for the US I am a UK citizen,but flying from the UK to Thailand with a valid tourist visa poses no problem with the airlines you don't have to show a return ticket.

I think the same applies to the US I'm not 100% certain but see nothing below.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//service/thai-visas-for-americans.html

• Like 1

Assuming you're over 50 I wonder whether a single-entry 90-day non-imm O visa might be better in your case. Would certainly avoid boarding probs at LAX should you have the misfortune to encounter a check-in assistant who didn't know that 60-day tourist visas could be extended..

Don't worry if you have a visa there in no requirement to have a return or onward ticket. You could travel on a one way ticket.

The suggestion about getting a single entry non-o is a good one because it does work out to be cheaper (900 baht) and easier than a tourist visa. No need for an extension (1900 baht) to get 90 days and no trip to immigration.

If you live near a honorary consulate most of them will do the non-o the embassy and 3 official consulates will not.

Contact info here: http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

I read somewhere only tourist type visas require return ticket not the other types of visa...

They might of been referring to a visa exempt entry some people call them a tourist visa.

Some embassies and consulates ask for a ticket out for issuance of tourist visas but none is required for entry.

You seem very overly nervous about this yet it is understandable only being your 2nd trip here and very confusing. The USA doesn't care what you have when you leave because if you get sent back its your fault not theirs. Upon arriving in Thailand, you wont be asked to show your return ticket. Plus many people travel all over SEA and use Thailand as a pit-stop while traveling on to other neighboring countries before returning to Thailand for departure. So they wouldn't raise concern over this discrepancy unless your passport is filled with overstays/stamps and what have you.

As for the extension, I haven't heard/read any story about someone getting denied an extension on a tourist visa as its as routine as renewing your drivers license in the states. Relax and welcome, you're fine.thumbsup.gif

If you have a visa - you don't need to show an onward (or return) ticket.

Only the 30 days visa exempt entry requires a return or an onward ticket. And even that isn't checked often. However, that's why people who intend to leave Thailand by an overland route, rather than by air, are supposed to get a tourist visa.

i.e. You have the right visa to enter without having a return ticket at all! (you merely have to extend the visa or leave the country before it expires.)

"Jan 6-March 6 approx" Those exact dates would of course be more than 90 days. So, don't fret over getting the extension but do map out the trip carefully, including the fact that your arrival date counts as Day 1.

No, it would be 60 days. January 6 to April 6 would be 91 days.

OP should clarify his travel dates.

Officials in Country A would have to be quite anal to care whether or not you are likely to violate any conditions of a visa for Country B. As the documentation usually reads, it is the traveler's responsibility to ensure that they satisfy entry conditions for the destination country.

• Like 1

Assuming you're over 50 I wonder whether a single-entry 90-day non-imm O visa might be better in your case. Would certainly avoid boarding probs at LAX should you have the misfortune to encounter a check-in assistant who didn't know that 60-day tourist visas could be extended..

doesnt he need family/wife for that visa?

Thank you to everyone who has responded thus far. MUCH APPRECIATED!

It appears I will be ok as is so the plan will be to get the tourist visa as originally considered, then extend one more month while in Thailand. Thank you for the replies even though I did make a mistake with my dates in the original question. I will be staying January 6 - April 6 give or take a few days.

I guess it gets easier with each visit and border run but why it's made so difficult and confusing is beyond me.

It appears I will be ok as is so the plan will be to get the tourist visa as originally considered, then extend one more month while in Thailand. Thank you for the replies even though I did make a mistake with my dates in the original question. I will be staying January 6 - April 6 give or take a few days.

I guess it gets easier with each visit and border run but why it's made so difficult and confusing is beyond me.

its still worth the double entry just in case

The suggestion about getting a single entry non-o is a good one because it does work out to be cheaper (900 baht) and easier than a tourist visa. No need for an extension (1900 baht) to get 90 days and no trip to immigration. ......Would a person be able to get a single entry non-o in cambodia ? Or is this abailable only in your own country?

The suggestion about getting a single entry non-o is a good one because it does work out to be cheaper (900 baht) and easier than a tourist visa. No need for an extension (1900 baht) to get 90 days and no trip to immigration. ......Would a person be able to get a single entry non-o in cambodia ? Or is this abailable only in your own country?

you gotta have a thai wife for non-o

You do not have to married to aThai to get a single entry non-o visa if 50 years old or over.

Many people get them as first step of getting an extension of stay for retirement.

There are many reports of Vientiane doing them with nothing more than a passport which proves your age.

It should also be available in Cambodia but it could take up to 4 days to get. Cambodia is not on my list for being a good location to get any visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

Ok, so I understand about the tourist visa (60 days). And I also understand about extending that visa 30 additional days (for 1900 baht) once while in Thailand. What I don't understand is how I just show up at the LAX airport (USA) with my 60 day tourist visa YET MY RETURN FLIGHT IS 90 DAYS AWAY. Couldn't they not allow me to board since it looks as if I am intentionally planning on overstaying my visa

You are getting confused as to why airlines refuse passengers boarding.

Airlines have no interest about your intentions in the country, their interest is money.

Their only concern is that you are not refused entry to the country, because if you are not permitted entry then it is the airlines responsibility to fly you back at their cost if you don't have the funds for a ticket.

So a visa shows that you will (probably :) ) be allowed to enter your destination county, so no problem.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

You seem very overly nervous about this yet it is understandable only being your 2nd trip here and very confusing. The USA doesn't care what you have when you leave because if you get sent back its your fault not theirs. Upon arriving in Thailand, you wont be asked to show your return ticket. Plus many people travel all over SEA and use Thailand as a pit-stop while traveling on to other neighboring countries before returning to Thailand for departure. So they wouldn't raise concern over this discrepancy unless your passport is filled with overstays/stamps and what have you.

As for the extension, I haven't heard/read any story about someone getting denied an extension on a tourist visa as its as routine as renewing your drivers license in the states. Relax and welcome, you're fine.thumbsup.gif

The USA doesn't care but the airline does as they would have to fly you back for allowing you to board.

You are absolutely right.

Until now, the Cambodian solution brings even more money in the Cambodian Governments pockets.

You have to pay when you go into Cambodia, you can make your Visa and choose your Visa at the border,

you can extend you Visa stays from inside the country, just let an Agent do that for you, that is legal!

You have to make no border runs Visa runs-trips or go to any Immigration inside the country yourself, just pay!wink.png

doesnt he need family/wife for that visa?

No.

its still worth the double entry just in case

no need for that