Transportation - cheap alternatives to the bus

FarangFB

Let's say I want to go shopping at Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. I have to take the bus in North Pattaya, get down at a BTS station, take the BTS all the way to Central and then walk to Pantip. This might take me from 2:30 to 3:30 hours depending on my luck with the bus schedule and traffic conditions, making the trip quite tiring.

I wonder if there are alternatives (such as vans) that would take me straight (or close) to the place I want to go.

Very important: direct route, no stops. I tried once a van from Bang Na to Pattaya and it was hell, got really crowded (people standing up) and stopped like 50 times in the way, took almost 4 hours to get to Pattaya.

No such thing except a taxi. The vans do go to anusaburichai (Victory Monument) then 2 stops on the BTS. Most people don't walk to Panthip, they take a 20 baht motorbike taxi from the BTS.

Either then that, as I said no such thing as non-stop transportation even if they tell you it is direct, non-stop.

I agree, turn it into a Big Mango mini holiday, stay 1 or 2 nights and you can spend the whole day shopping.

After 2 days there, you will miss good old Patts and running screaming back.

We normally goes 1 time a year stay maybe 3-4 nights in a hotel on typical around the Sukhumvit Soi 8 area taking in the sights (and smells) and are looking forward to be home in Patts again.

• Like 1

You can take the mini van on South Pattaya Road, opposite the Bamboo bar, (map to where you book your seat), one way is about 105 Baht.

The van stops next to the Ratchathewi BTS station, which is about a 10 min walk to Pantip Plaza.

It should fit the bill, except that they do make one quick stop both ways, not to far from the Regents on road 36 for about 10 minutes.

You can take the mini van on South Pattaya Road, opposite the Bamboo bar, (map to where you book your seat), one way is about 105 Baht.

The van stops next to the Ratchathewi BTS station, which is about a 10 min walk to Pantip Plaza.

It should fit the bill, except that they do make one quick stop both ways, not to far from the Regents on road 36 for about 10 minutes.

This is interesting. Very close to my place and nice drop off point. I might try next time, thanks!

Train then taxi or songthaew in various combinations.

Or drive yourself - the solution that most people that do not want to use overcrowded, hot and multiple stopping public transport use. More expensive for one trip - but most people average out the cost by being generally mobile.

If this is a special trip for you - then taking a taxi is cheap - you just need to consider that it's not an everyday expense. Maybe do the bus one way and the taxi coming back if you are counting the Baht?

Train then taxi or songthaew in various combinations.

Or drive yourself - the solution that most people that do not want to use overcrowded, hot and multiple stopping public transport use. More expensive for one trip - but most people average out the cost by being generally mobile.

If this is a special trip for you - then taking a taxi is cheap - you just need to consider that it's not an everyday expense. Maybe do the bus one way and the taxi coming back if you are counting the Baht?

the train is good fun and cheap

however its is the champion at multiple stops

• Like 1

Take the airport bus from Jomtien to the airport (90-105min - non-stop every 2 hours) - then the airport link to Ratchaprarop (30 min - 2nd to last stop - every 15min - get a card so not waiting at ticket office)) then walk direct to Pantip (15min). Only the bus is subject to delay but is almost always on time.

On my last trip to Bangkok, driving and parking at the airport and taking the airport link into Bangkok, I went to Phayathai station with the intent of taking the BTS, but I discovered the Airport link now has a manned taxi stand outside their stations - following the sign, I went to the stand where they used a two way radio to call for a taxi, which arrived within a minute or two -- no charge for the service - I only had to pay the taxi meter amount upon arrival at my destination - the route the taxi took was direct and the route went right by Pantip. You could try to get taxi from the taxi stand at Ratchapraprop if you don't want to walk, but traffic pattern may not be in right direction resulting in more travel time and fare.

Just a note about return trip if you are using the bus that goes from Jomtiien (opposite Pan Pan Restaurant). I did this once - no problem getting to airport then into Bangkok and returning to airport. However, the next bus from the Airport to Jomtien was already full - so had to wait for the next bus.

Go to Fortune Town ( RAMA IX Station on MRT) - not as many vendors as Pantip, but good quality and you don't have to walk that long distance from the BTS Station. Have not been to Pantip for two years now as I can find most everything at Fortune Town - 3rd and 4th floors..

Edited by snooky
  • Like 1

There is a minivan service outside Central festival , 2nd road. I think it goes directly to Victory monument .

That's correct. I was there today and the mini bus stand is on the north side of Central Festival, Second Road entrance under the overhang. There is proper stand, with a sign that reads Hua Hin, Victory Monument, Rama II - Central, etc.

I believe the Central Dept. store they are refering too is in Thonburi on Rama II. There we lots of mini buses there and I caught one back to Pattaya, although it was with a different company. Fare was 160 Baht.

Agree, it's very tiring...

On the way from Pattaya, I use the bus from North Pattaya and go out at "Udom Suk"

Than, with the BTS to Ratchathewi, followed by a 15 min walk. (I personally, would never lay my life into the hands of the motocy taxi morons)

To Pattaya, I use the BTS from Ratchathewi to Ekkamai and from there the bus to Pattaya....

Take a bus, take a train... heck, even take a room overnight in the big mango but PLEASE don't take a minibus just to save some money.

If a minibus would be the only option, to travel to Bangkok/Pantip, I would rather go with my Honda Wave, than a minibus...bah.gif

Edited by Turkleton

This is interesting. Very close to my place and nice drop off point. I might try next time, thanks!

Looks like I was a bit off... After Jiu-Jitsu posted the Pattaya Van link I can see that this is the service I utilized. They stop at the Victory Monument BTS station not Ratchathewi, so a little bit further from Pantip then I remembered, and a few baht cheaper...

You can get a motorbike taxi at the Ratchathewi BTS station. It's 20 baht to Pantip. (30 baht to return to Ratchathewi from Pantip)

Take a motorbike taxi from Ratchascrewy to Pantip (and back, no less)! Thai ... very Thai. Don't forget to forget the helmet for good fashion sense.

Edited by MaxYakov

Train Pattaya-Phyathai BTS arr 18:25, fare 33 baht, leaves 14:00 weekdays only.

One stop to Ratchetewi BTS

Walk to Pantip

Make your purchases

Go To Sukhumvit (Nana Area) BTS

Have a beverage or two and a snack.

Sit all night and watch the free entertainment

Along pavement near the Old Thermae..does it still exist ?

Back to Phyathai for 07:10 to Pattaya

Travel....approx 150 Baht

...........................................................................................................................................................

I did know a guy, German Marathoner who walked EVERYWHERE..even Pattaya to Bangkok.

Another Guy Bangkok-Chiang Mai..3 weeks

Other up to you, you could take sandwiches, and beverages (non alcholic ? from 7/11) and alcholic any mom&pop shop.

• Like 1