D-Max V Cross vs Vigo 4 x 4

Resa

We look for a 4wd that has ABS and a bit of safety in case of a crash. With the crazy roads here, its just nice to have.

My wife did some research on this topic and ended up with the conclusion that the D-Max V Cross makes most sense, a lot of Thai people we spoke to also agreed. She also wants an automatic because she has been driving automatic for most of her life.

From what I read in all the farang forums the Toyota Vigo 4x4 is the car to have. Some even call it a no brainer and easy choice.

Can someone who has a clue about cars sum up some of the positive and negative points of each model?

Does it make sense to wait for the motorshow in Bangkok at the end of November for better deals?

If safety is an issue, i also just read very positive crush test reports about the Ford Ranger.

As a car, both you consider is good, but the Isuzu definately easier on the eyes, both inside and out, in my opinion. :)

Searched on one2car, and seems that one might pick up a 2012-13 testcar for about 20% discount, might worth looking into that...though mostly Bkk dealers, far far from me :( ( i am also a prospective buyer of the V-Cross).

If safety is an issue, i also just read very positive crush test reports about the Ford Ranger.

As a car, both you consider is good, but the Isuzu definately easier on the eyes, both inside and out, in my opinion. smile.png

Searched on one2car, and seems that one might pick up a 2012-13 testcar for about 20% discount, might worth looking into that...though mostly Bkk dealers, far far from me sad.png ( i am also a prospective buyer of the V-Cross).

Crash test reports for the Ranger relate to the export version and not the one sold on the local market.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Preference for the Toyota and Isuzu is based on resale values.

Other trucks, Chvrolet, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, are just as good, IMO quite often even better at the moment.

But what about the service? From my research on the forums especially Toyota has amazing service (Isuzu should be good too). Any experience with that?

Wife loves the Chevrolet Colorado but Im just worried about the long term expenses. We plan to drive the car as long as it drives, so resale value isnt much of a concern.

Well there is no difference between a Chevrolet and and an Isuzu,both have the same engine and the same transmission.Go compare the two and you will see for yourself.I like the look of the Isuzu better and have driven both of them and both are great trucks.Also Ford and Mazda are very similar.

We crunched the numbers, compared the features and have no idea which one we should pick.

The price is the same after discounts from Toyota and the features are almost the same. Toyota seems to have a USB port Isuzu doesnt have... uhm yeah!

Toyota hilux 3.0 g 4wd vs Isuzu vcross 3.0 VGS z prestige navi

Seems like its really just personal preference.

Well there is no difference between a Chevrolet and and an Isuzu,both have the same engine and the same transmission.Go compare the two and you will see for yourself.I like the look of the Isuzu better and have driven both of them and both are great trucks.Also Ford and Mazda are very similar.

isnt exactly...

Chevrolet offers 2.8 L vs. Isuzu 3.0L, as top model. i think.

Preference for the Toyota and Isuzu is based on resale values.

Other trucks, Chvrolet, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Ford, are just as good, IMO quite often even better at the moment.

But what about the service? From my research on the forums especially Toyota has amazing service (Isuzu should be good too). Any experience with that?

Wife loves the Chevrolet Colorado but Im just worried about the long term expenses. We plan to drive the car as long as it drives, so resale value isnt much of a concern.

Toyota and Isuzu are the Thai pickup market leaders so they have more dealers and sometimes are better organised. However they can also be more arrogant and less flexible. The service quality from Dealers varies between dealers for all brands so don't take too much notice of internet forum stories, look for your self or talk to some customers that use the dealer in your area. The Isuzu and Toyota dealers we use are both OK.

We crunched the numbers, compared the features and have no idea which one we should pick.

The price is the same after discounts from Toyota and the features are almost the same. Toyota seems to have a USB port Isuzu doesnt have... uhm yeah!

Your conclusion is spot on. Pick the one you like and be happy.

The Isuzu platform is relatively new but the Hilux is due for replacement. Not a big deal but some do not like their new truck being superseded within a year or two of buying. I have driven a new 2WD manual Isuzu a little, and the more modern interior seemed to be the only major improvement over the current Hilux.

One advantage 3.2L Ford / Mazda and 2.8L Chev have over Isuzu and Toyota is they have auto transmissions capable of handling the full engine torque, rather than limiting the engine torque like Toyota and Isuzu.

One advantage 3.2L Ford / Mazda and 2.8L Chev have over Isuzu and Toyota is they have auto transmissions capable of handling the full engine torque, rather than limiting the engine torque like Toyota and Isuzu.

This is new to me, could you please explain this?

The Toyota and Isuzu pickups use an Aisin 5 speed Auto trans that was limited to 350Nm, the newer models are pushing this up to 380Nm. Most 3L common rail turbo diesels can produce more torque than this so the peak torque is limited by the ECU to protect the transmission.

The Ford and Chev trucks use different transmissions so their 3.2L and 2.8L engines are rated at 470Nm.

Ok but does this translate in any real world performance gains for the Ford and Chevs? Last time I checked the 80-120 and 0-100 runs for both the Ford 3.2 and Chevy 2.8 are only a tiny bit faster than the Toyota's 144 HP 2.5 D4D with 343 NM of torque so while this looks nice on paper it hardly should not make much difference in real world driving..

The Toyota and Isuzu pickups use an Aisin 5 speed Auto trans that was limited to 350Nm, the newer models are pushing this up to 380Nm. Most 3L common rail turbo diesels can produce more torque than this so the peak torque is limited by the ECU to protect the transmission.

The Ford and Chev trucks use different transmissions so their 3.2L and 2.8L engines are rated at 470Nm.

Edited by sjonburi

380 - 470Nm Extra torque (and ~ 30hp) should make a difference but I dunno for sure as I don't drive a Ford or a Chev and good back to back tests for pickups are pretty rare.

The Ford / Mazda 3.2L should be good as the torque is spread across the rev range but apparently they are not easy to get hold of. The Chev 2.8L torque is not as well spread and the gearing is higher than most trucks so that may dull the difference.

In any case, a 4x4 auto pickup would not be the first choice for acceleration. More torque should mean they can cruise along with less revs, and pull better under load etc.

At the end of the day both the Toyota and Isuzu are fine so like you said earlier, it mostly down to personal preference.

OP as you said in first post " no brainer " equally no brainer to go and have a test drive in all of them and your guts will tell you which one you like etc etc dunno about the Mrs though. biggrin.png

Don't take the Mrs. Drive them both, decide what you want, then tell your wife you want the other one. She will then talk you into the one you really want, and it will be her idea just in case she ends up not liking it.

I like the new Isuzu I got last year, but had I bought two years ago I would have bought the Toyota. Two years from now, I would probably go with the Toyota, as it will be on the new platform by then. If I buy something new, I want it to look new for a while.

I thought the Ford 3.2 is torque limited in 1st/2nd and 3rd, why else would they be removing the torque limiting when they do an ECU hack ?

You are probably right, the Ford torque curve is flat as a table top from about 1,500 rpm so it certainly looks like it is torque limited. Dunno if this changes in 4th and above.

Spose I should have said more torque instead of full torque in the earlier post. Still a torque limit at 470Nm got to be better than at 380Nm.

I thought the Ford 3.2 is torque limited in 1st/2nd and 3rd, why else would they be removing the torque limiting when they do an ECU hack ?

You are probably right, the Ford torque curve is flat as a table top from about 1,500 rpm so it certainly looks like it is torque limited. Dunno if this changes in 4th and above.

Spose I should have said more torque instead of full torque in the earlier post. Still a torque limit at 470Nm got to be better than at 380Nm.

And with more upside potential...

only the manual 3.2 is toque limited in 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Ahhh ok that makes sense as the clutches are very fragile.

Kburn, do you know if it Is limited to 470Nm or some other figure?

it does seem like the overall torque is limited from the factory.

many tuners in Australia and Thailand have made 650Nm+ just by tweaking the ecu.

attachicon.gifPowerlab Diesel Management System dyno-ranger.jpg

Nice result, pity it can't rev - not much use for 700Nm in day to day driving, but a few more RPM and 350+HP would have been nice ;)

For what it's worth, I was recently at a Mazda dealer having one of the family trucks serviced, and there was a new bt 50 pro there that had suffered a major head on collision. The passenger side of the engine compartment was smashed in, nearly all the way back to the bulkhead, it looked like it had hit a concrete power pole by the shape of the impact area.

The thing that impressed me is that even with such a huge impact, the passenger compartment was still intact with no engine parts or anything intruding. Both doors could still be opened and the roof showed no signs of buckling, so the crash structure had clearly done its job. I was seriously, seriously impressed with this, it was quite obvious that the people on board had survived the impact. Compared with other, older, vehicles I have seen after a collision it was amazing to see how well it had performed. Honestly, based on this, a bt 50 pro is now seriously on my list for my next new car, even if it does look too "smiley" for me!

I bought my Vigo 4 door manual gear box top of the range six years ago. Best thing I ever bought. Never given me one ounce of trouble. The engine is phenomenal and she goes like a rocket, and off road she is superb; as good as a land rover!

I bought my Vigo 4 door manual gear box top of the range six years ago. Best thing I ever bought. Never given me one ounce of trouble. The engine is phenomenal and she goes like a rocket, and off road she is superb; as good as a land rover!

I'm sure our better-heeled English members just spat their tea all over the keyboard reading that :P

• Like 1

I'm sure our better-heeled English members just spat their tea all over the keyboard reading that :P

If they did, it might indicated they have absolutely no experience of off road driving in challenging arduous wet conditions.

I'm sure our better-heeled English members just spat their tea all over the keyboard reading that tongue.png

It was coffee.................laugh.png

But it does put you in a bit of a tight spot. Either admitting the Vigo is not the best at anything, or letting your heritage down ...

• Like 1