Where to live?

fguk

I am a single 53yo Brit working in Singapore, soon to retire to Thailand. I expect to play a lot of golf and enjoy the bars and lady scene. BKK is OK to visit but I do not want to live there. I am not a big fan of Pattaya due to the tourist levels and distance from BKK and airport. This leaves me looking at areas in between but I am not sure if there are any that would have a reasonable balance of expat companionship and nightlife with some pleasant beachside scenery.

I look on a map at Bang Saen, Si Racha and Laemchbang. Can anyone provide any advice on living in or around these areas as a single expat? These are all close to some good golf courses and the sea but I have no idea if they have some level of nightlife with expat communities to provide some balance.

I am concerned at being too isolated as a 'newcomer' to living in Thailand, although with many years of visiting experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

night life (you're still young at heart); golfing; expats to hang out with; Western restaurants and shops -- Pattaya hands down. Yes, there are various areas to look at near Pattaya. Naklua and Jomtien are do-able to live but many Russian tourists have invaded the scene. There are certain condos such as View Talays and Markland that seems to be popular with the retired Western crowd...and then there are the varioius villages to look at on the "dark side" of Pattaya -quiet, yet only a short drive to Pattaya City/ or tourist ghetto. What ever you do...rent first before you buy.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

Bang Saray....lovely beach, 15 minutes South of Jomtien with frequent song teaws and only 20 minutes from Bang Chang...a few new condos going up so a small selection of rental properties only. Plenty expats that work on/off or are retired.

He's 53, single and it sounds like he likes a beer and a brass etc and you're suggesting Bang Saray?

He's not ready to die yet.

• Like 1

I could second Bang Saray. Visited a few times earlier this year and it's got a nice balance of quiet bars, beach and restaurants, a settled expat community, with a few offshore workers etc and all the lovely sleaze of Pattaya just 15-20 mins away.

Alternatively down the other coast then you've got Cha-am and Hua Hin which are a bit more respectable, though still with some entertaining ladies around, and lots of golf. A bit further from the airport but a similar distance from Bangkok.

If it was me I'd go further away from Bangkok, but I have less need of girly bars and western comforts - I really like the area around Prachuap Khiri Khan town, there are some lovely spots in Isan and the north, and in my experience when you start looking you usually find a few expats dotted around, and much easier to get involved when there's a small number of people, rather that when you're just another farang in Pattaya, Phuket or Samui.

Try Hua Hin, a good mix of a local Thai town with a decent size of a foreign community. Golf opportunities are aplenty, probably one of the best in Thailand with some 10 golf courses within easy reach of HH. When night falls you will find an excellent selection of restaurants serving local and international food at reasonable prices and if you are still not tired from playing golf during the day, visit one of the bars near the Hilton with plenty of maidens, no gogo here, a bit of a low-key approach but I am sure you will find a pleasant girl to share a drink with and more... Beaches are not great here, neither are they around Pattaya, but drive south along the coast of Prachuap Kirikhan and will you will discover quite a few decent stretches of sand.

• Like 2

I could second Bang Saray. Visited a few times earlier this year and it's got a nice balance of quiet bars, beach and restaurants, a settled expat community, with a few offshore workers etc and all the lovely sleaze of Pattaya just 15-20 mins away.

Alternatively down the other coast then you've got Cha-am and Hua Hin which are a bit more respectable, though still with some entertaining ladies around, and lots of golf. A bit further from the airport but a similar distance from Bangkok.

If it was me I'd go further away from Bangkok, but I have less need of girly bars and western comforts - I really like the area around Prachuap Khiri Khan town, there are some lovely spots in Isan and the north, and in my experience when you start looking you usually find a few expats dotted around, and much easier to get involved when there's a small number of people, rather that when you're just another farang in Pattaya, Phuket or Samui.

I definitely would recommend somewhere along the lines of Hua Hin and south: Takiab, Pranburi, Prachuab Kiri Khan - they're all excellent. A bit further to BKK than from the eastern seaboard but well worth it in my opinion. Plenty of expats and more every day, but not as saturated as Pattaya and surrounds. If you prefer hills to beaches then you can't beat Chiangmai - all the comforts of BKK without the massive urban concrete sprawl. But wherever you choose, you won't regret retiring in Thailand. I would do the same if I didn't have to work. Another place you might consider (and at least visit) is Vientiane in Laos - very similar to rural Thailand in many ways but a bit earthier and they know how to bake great bread!

• Like 1

My choice was Pathum Thani 30-40 min outside BKK. Quiet living people are friendly. \Not many bars and such but then again if you want eh quiet and golfing it is great here lots of Golf courses at fair prices. rent is low 5k for a 3 bdrm townhouse.

Quite a few expats and we are all friendly.

Try Hua Hin, a good mix of a local Thai town with a decent size of a foreign community. Golf opportunities are aplenty, probably one of the best in Thailand with some 10 golf courses within easy reach of HH. When night falls you will find an excellent selection of restaurants serving local and international food at reasonable prices and if you are still not tired from playing golf during the day, visit one of the bars near the Hilton with plenty of maidens, no gogo here, a bit of a low-key approach but I am sure you will find a pleasant girl to share a drink with and more... Beaches are not great here, neither are they around Pattaya, but drive south along the coast of Prachuap Kirikhan and will you will discover quite a few decent stretches of sand.

Agreed. I've been living here for 2 years now and it's a pretty good place to live. Not as touristy as Pattaya or Phuket, but offers the same levels of comfort and convenience. Lots of golfing to be had here too.

• Like 1

Your first responder hit the nail on the head.

East Pattaya, the further out you go, the better.

The retired guys that live around Lake Mabprachan hang out together in small groups, play golf together at many of the nearby courses, I think Jack at the Outback Golf Pub arranges daily golf at 6 or 7 different area courses. And then at the end of the day, there is bar hopping from one to another on the dark side, or the occaisonal run into Pattaya or Jomtien, or down the road to Ban Chaeng for a bit of a change of scenery.

I live out by Siam Country Club and can drive to the airport in 1 hour usually. About the same as Iskandar to Changi Airport.

Once you find the variety of grocery stores and make the effort to visit them all, you will learn which one has the stuff you like and it will be better than Cold Storage or Jasons for the most part.

And aside from high end car cost and imported tenderloin, much cheaper than Sg. But I'm sure you already know that.

Welcome to Pattaya if you are on the way!

My golfing friends seem to think Pattaya has qualifications.

Plenty of great courses within reasonable distance.

A plethora of golfing clubs, often associated with social bars.

You don't have to live in the tourist areas.... and if you locate yourself on the north side access to the MAIN airport is easier than from Bangkok.

I can be there in an hour 20.

Hey, why not come on down to Koh Samui? We have ALL the bells and whistles you are looking for, and there are some lovely houses for rent, in a quiet location (like ours with swimming pool and 5 minutes walk to the beach, shops and restaurants!) when you want to get away from the maddening crowd. We have a match competition course at Santiburi, although not cheap, also a 9 hole course with a separate shooting(?) range. There does not seem to be any mafia influence here that I have noticed and by and large the locals are very nice. I have been here going on eight years and love the place to bits. Obviously there are good and bad everywhere and as previous responders have said, rent first and have a critical look at where you are, to make sure it is what you want. I have done CM, BKK and Phuket and have to say they are not quite my cup of tea, but we of course all have different tastes. We also seem to have our own little eco system here. Mainland, Phuket and North seem to be deluged with rain...........here we have lovely sunshine. Hope this helps?wai.gif

The retired guys that live around Lake Mabprachan hang out together in small groups, play golf together at many of the nearby courses, I think Jack at the Outback Golf Pub arranges daily golf at 6 or 7 different area courses. And then at the end of the day, there is bar hopping from one to another on the dark side, or the occaisonal run into Pattaya or Jomtien, or down the road to Ban Chaeng for a bit of a change of scenery.

I live out by Siam Country Club and can drive to the airport in 1 hour usually. About the same as Iskandar to Changi Airport.

Once you find the variety of grocery stores and make the effort to visit them all, you will learn which one has the stuff you like and it will be better than Cold Storage or Jasons for the most part.

And aside from high end car cost and imported tenderloin, much cheaper than Sg. But I'm sure you already know that.

I couldn't give a monkeys where this fella ends up, but I think you have made a good case here, East Pattaya is the perfect spot for me.

And btw, us Brits don't use the term 'grocery stores' bah.gif

The northern part of the Dark Side of east Pattaya from Nong Pla Lai, through Mabprachan and Pong in the east is the ideal location for the OP. Multitude of golf courses, loads of economical rentals in quite new villages, about 1 hour from the airport (Highway 7) and only 10-15 minutes from the Wet Side... if you know what I mean.

Do your shopping in Pattaya on ANY morning during the week to avoid traffic. Leave the weekend driving for the imbeciles and go off to a beach, play golf or slowly discover that 'daytime is playtime' on the Dark Side.

• Like 1

The problem with barhopping on the darkside is that most expats drink and drive,just like some thais,but for some reason they are not drunk,after 15 beers,or make an excuse that its the countryside and its all ok.

ITS NOT OK

Pattaya has great transport for barhopping

The problem with barhopping on the darkside is that most expats drink and drive,just like some thais,but for some reason they are not drunk,after 15 beers,or make an excuse that its the countryside and its all ok.

ITS NOT OK

I agree with you but the dark side does NOT have 'great transport' you are well wide of the mark there.

The scary stuff I've seen is some expats getting tanked up on the dark side then getting in their 4x4 to head over to downtown Pattaya for a 'night out' Frightening stuff.

ITS NOT OK

I agree with you but the dark side does NOT have 'great transport' you are well wide of the mark there.

The scary stuff I've seen is some expats getting tanked up on the dark side then getting in their 4x4 to head over to downtown Pattaya for a 'night out' Frightening stuff.

I actualy meant the bright side has good transport to barhop,rather than the darkside.I have been in a car a couple of times with a darksider,and he actualy stated he drives better when pissed,what kind of idiot says that,he was all over the road,scared me to death.

ITS NOT OK

I actualy meant the bright side has good transport to barhop,rather than the darkside.I have been in a car a couple of times with a darksider,and he actualy stated he drives better when pissed,what kind of idiot says that,he was all over the road,scared me to death.

Apologies, I mis-read that. The old 'drink better when pissed line' heard that many times before, and always from the mouth of an idiot.

Don't want to condone it but getting around the bars without driving on dark side is just not practical. I drive, but don't get completely rat arsed and would NEVER then cross Sukhumvit for more beers and then come back later. Anyone who does that and is it reading this then you sir are an utter moron with complete disregard for human life. I find it quite shocking.

The northern part of the Dark Side of east Pattaya from Nong Pla Lai, through Mabprachan and Pong in the east is the ideal location for the OP. Multitude of golf courses, loads of economical rentals in quite new villages, about 1 hour from the airport (Highway 7) and only 10-15 minutes from the Wet Side... if you know what I mean.

Do your shopping in Pattaya on ANY morning during the week to avoid traffic. Leave the weekend driving for the imbeciles and go off to a beach, play golf or slowly discover that 'daytime is playtime' on the Dark Side.

^This.

ITS NOT OK

"...most expats drink and drive". I've yet to meet all the expats, so, I'm unable to tell what "most" is.