is it me who is (-) or is it you who is (+)

nonthaburial

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed reading your career history.

You will get 2 types of response.

The first will be the relative newbies who are still in the "honeymoon phase" and think you are nuts. They will learn in time.

The second will be old timers who remember the good old days and lament the changes in Thailand and it's people, but stay because they have no choice.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can tolerate living here because I travel so much, but Thailand is not where I will be forever for many of the reasons to list.

Good luck Sir.

Not sure if this helps . . . .

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/#/page/indexes/global-peace-index

Thailand's pretty rough in my opinion. Only been here 13 years so not an old timer. I do know a few real old timers who think it's not a very nice place now compared to 25+ years ago. But frankly, where is?

Probably a bit of the grumpy old man creeping in there too, that's not a flame.

Been here some 22 years and in reality it is much the same as anywhere one lives, bad days good days decent people lousy people. yes Thailand has changed as has the rest of the world. Living as I we do in the wilds of Surin I am transported back to my childhood days in rural England in the 1950-60's. Relaxed easy lives , kids being kids doing kids things safe walking around unlike the U.K and other countries these days , no P.C. O.K. the bureaucratic process can be a bind at times but so it is in the U.K. too

However I still wake up in the morning ready for the coming day.

I work through choice as opposed to necessity so in some respects that does I suppose improve the quality of ones life.

All in all life is all about change.

In many respects my life wasn't so different from your Nonthaburial apart from the Africa bit, I attended a top notch grammar school in the U.K. I did my military thing by choice, I was a public servant and retired when hit 46 years of age in the U.K. and used my Bachelors degree and my Masters degree to join the teaching profession here in Thailand and it has been a great experience which as I said is still ongoing.

At my age I consider waking up in the morning a bonus cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Let's face it, if the changes cease it would seem to me that I or we'v shuffled off of this mortal coilw00t.gif

• Like 1

Sounds to me to be a typical somewhat depressed look at ones past and lifes experiences. Things are never what they were on reflection, not just Thailand but anywhere and most memories will be distorted by present mood and circumstance.

All seems to be a typical ageing person refecting on what once was, doesnt like the present much and yearns for yesteryear. Hopefully you wont get bitter too! (and I dont mean a pint).

• Like 1

Been here some 22 years and in reality it is much the same as anywhere one lives, bad days good days decent people lousy people. yes Thailand has changed as has the rest of the world. Living as I we do in the wilds of Surin I am transported back to my childhood days in rural England in the 1950-60's. Relaxed easy lives , kids being kids doing kids things safe walking around unlike the U.K and other countries these days , no P.C. O.K. the bureaucratic process can be a bind at times but so it is in the U.K. too

However I still wake up in the morning ready for the coming day.

I work through choice as opposed to necessity so in some respects that does I suppose improve the quality of ones life.

All in all life is all about change.

In many respects my life wasn't so different from your Nonthaburial apart from the Africa bit, I attended a top notch grammar school in the U.K. I did my military thing by choice, I was a public servant and retired when hit 46 years of age in the U.K. and used my Bachelors degree and my Masters degree to join the teaching profession here in Thailand and it has been a great experience which as I said is still ongoing.

At my age I consider waking up in the morning a bonus cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Let's face it, if the changes cease it would seem to me that I or we'v shuffled off of this mortal coilw00t.gif

The Issan pace of life is ideal for those who don't want to rush.

I love it.

• Like 2

It is the same old story. Nostalgia aint what it used to be. When I was a young bloke and first started touring the Far East, the Old Hands, then, were saying the same things. 'Finished with this lot, things have changed too much, this will be my last trip. I'm getting out, paying off, shove it up your clacker.

Singapore was like a 2nd home to me once upon a time. I flew back just to visit my old stomping grounds a few years back. Somewhat a bit of a disappointment, the place was gutted, a dust bowl, run down. But that's life. I still enjoyed going there, lots of memories, good memories.

It is the natural human resistance to change. Honestly, I don't think it has bothered me a hell of a lot, I have coped alright. took it all in my stride. Yeah sure, the good old days were really good, and I love talking about them, and reminiscing, I consider myself fortunate more than anything else. I have had a great life so far. Sometimes in cases like this it is the loss of youth which is harder to cope with more than anything else. And lacking the ability to grow old gracefully and accept things the way they are.

I was here (Far and SE Asia) every year since I was a teenager, and I have watched and been part of the changing first hand.

Just be thankful, it seems you have had a decent run and an interesting life. it was never going to stay the way it was. You would have to be a fool to expect so.

I notice you were with the Gurkhas in HK in 78. We used to spend a fair bit of time in HK in those days, HMS Tamar doing Self Maintenance Periods. In 1978, we were sending our sailors out to join up with you blokes to do Illegal Immigrant Patrols on the border. The XO organised it because he reckoned it would stop the sailors getting bored during an extended period alongside.

The Bull and bear was a favourite in 78 - When Australian Sailors weren't barred and they would let us in.

Running around Wanchai as a 16 YO in 1970. Got to be happy with that! Even if Wanchai had never changed. I sure have. LOL.

Cheer up mate. Life is what you make it. Look back and be happy, not sad.

• Like 2

There have been 2 similar themed threads published on Thai visa recently:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/670250-five-reasons-why-youll-never-last-here-in-thailand/?p=6858275

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/670227-westerners-on-the-decline-in-thailand-maybe-time-to-move-on/

Is this I’m really feeling cheesed off with Thailand week?

I suggest you look at the last 2 threads and perhaps you will find your answers on those.

I also live in Thailand and have sexual, financial and emotional problems. Was going to open a thread about it, but no one is interested.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Sorry my bad then.

You just did sound too sad and forlorn.

Sleeping with many joiners and nothing to show for it could cause that, I suppose.

Ok, I feel you.

Now, no children, no grandchildren and just a lousy fireman advisory job,

If I were you I would feel worse.

Note: not all the drug arrests involves a black peddler. Add a few scats, Brits, kiwis, Aussies and very large quantity of Thais.

African Chief, please s l o w l y read my post again and absorb, I have never said I am Childless I did say I once divorced, but didn't see the need to report to the likes of you that I have been happily married for the last 8 years, and no she is not Thai or African. Nor did I mention anything about "arrested" black drug dealers.

Please point out in my post where I stated I was "just a lousy fireman advisor" again I didn't see fit to explain that I am the Chief Engineer of a Chinese/UK joint venture that manufacturers high tech rapid response vehicles for the world market.

Instead of quickly reading a thread with you thumb stuck up your (insert wherever you wish) please be so kind as to understand what was said and not answer stupidly or ignorantly. Thank you

• Like 1

It is the same old story. Nostalgia aint what it used to be. When I was a young bloke and first started touring the Far East, the Old Hands, then, were saying the same things. 'Finished with this lot, things have changed too much, this will be my last trip. I'm getting out, paying off, shove it up your clacker.

Singapore was like a 2nd home to me once upon a time. I flew back just to visit my old stomping grounds a few years back. Somewhat a bit of a disappointment, the place was gutted, a dust bowl, run down. But that's life. I still enjoyed going there, lots of memories, good memories.

It is the natural human resistance to change. Honestly, I don't think it has bothered me a hell of a lot, I have coped alright. took it all in my stride. Yeah sure, the good old days were really good, and I love talking about them, and reminiscing, I consider myself fortunate more than anything else. I have had a great life so far. Sometimes in cases like this it is the loss of youth which is harder to cope with more than anything else. And lacking the ability to grow old gracefully and accept things the way they are.

I was here (Far and SE Asia) every year since I was a teenager, and I have watched and been part of the changing first hand.

Just be thankful, it seems you have had a decent run and an interesting life. it was never going to stay the way it was. You would have to be a fool to expect so.

I notice you were with the Gurkhas in HK in 78. We used to spend a fair bit of time in HK in those days, HMS Tamar doing Self Maintenance Periods. In 1978, we were sending our sailors out to join up with you blokes to do Illegal Immigrant Patrols on the border. The XO organised it because he reckoned it would stop the sailors getting bored during an extended period alongside.

The Bull and bear was a favourite in 78 - When Australian Sailors weren't barred and they would let us in.

Running around Wanchai as a 16 YO in 1970. Got to be happy with that! Even if Wanchai had never changed. I sure have. LOL.

cpoc,thanks for your intelligent and polite response, yes I remember the Bull and Bear very well, how about the China Fleet Club?? Yes I can recollect a number of Aussie matelots on Border patrol with us, a real comedy act, bit different to quietly moving around on board a ship, these guys were noisy, but the thing that stands out was the fact that the Kukri boys (great troops) didn't understand a word your guys spoke !!

I don't understand how most seem to think I am a delusional old fart, I am not, my attempted post was to simply point out that Thailand's better days are over, and what once used to be an exciting posting is now a nightmare, don't be surprised if Myanmar now starts to attract attention.

cpoc,thanks for your intelligent and polite response, yes I remember the Bull and Bear very well, how about the China Fleet Club?? Yes I can recollect a number of Aussie matelots on Border patrol with us, a real comedy act, bit different to quietly moving around on board a ship, these guys were noisy, but the thing that stands out was the fact that the Kukri boys (great troops) didn't understand a word your guys spoke !!

I don't understand how most seem to think I am a delusional old fart, I am not, my attempted post was to simply point out that Thailand's better days are over, and what once used to be an exciting posting is now a nightmare, don't be surprised if Myanmar now starts to attract attention.

I think it's getting to grips with what is now a McWorld. There's not much character or individuality anywhere, it's all the same the McWorld over.

Id say you summed it up pretty well, many people seem to think some of us are here for the "love of Thailand" we arent, some us happen to have married Thais who have good well paid jobs and even more surprisingly "keep" their husbands in the financial and other respect..

Having said all that I still prefer Thailand in many ways to where i am currently visiting parents...............the UK

So long as i dont have to have much interaction with the Thais I get along just fine, thats the way I like it and thats all that matters.

Having been back just a week Im itching to get out, put the tv on all i say is chavvy slappers, the woman who won Big Brother( tripe indeed) wets the bed and shows everyone her t**s a fine example of "modern England", yet I am probably the only one under 50 here who thinks like this anymore.....that does depress me slightlysad.png

Edited by kannot

I certainly don't believe a word of it. I'm not even sure this poster is a western man at all.

I do believe every word of it. Sounds like a depressed old guy yearning for bygone days when a white westerner was accorded the status of a hero or demi god and his earnings were far higher than a well paid thai and could have almost anything he fancied. Now he has to face the ignonimity of mixing with non western tourists, well paid thai's, and lesser buying power.

Mate, you wouldn't know if the Grenadier Guards were up you until they fixed bayonets.

Hero or Demi God? Buying power? What a load of rubbish. You've been watching too many movies.

Id say you summed it up pretty well, many people seem to think some of us are here for the "love of Thailand" we arent, some us happen to have married Thais who have good well paid jobs and even more surprisingly "keep" their husbands in the financial and other respect..

Having said all that I still prefer Thailand in many ways to where i am currently visiting parents...............the UK

So long as i dont have to have much interaction with the Thais I get along just fine, thats the way I like it and thats all that matters.

Having been back just a week Im itching to get out, put the tv on all i say is chavvy slappers, the woman who won Big Brother( tripe indeed) wets the bed and shows everyone her t**s a fine example of "modern England", yet I am probably the only one under 50 here who thinks like this anymore.....that does depress me slightlysad.png

The trick to having a good fulfilling life is to keep the television unplugged. In any country.

• Like 2

Having been back just a week Im itching to get out, put the tv on all i say is chavvy slappers, the woman who won Big Brother( tripe indeed) wets the bed and shows everyone her t**s a fine example of "modern England", yet I am probably the only one under 50 here who thinks like this anymore.....that does depress me slightly:(

The trick to having a good fulfilling life is to keep the television unplugged. In any country.

Used to be the case but now the secret is to keep the computer unplugged. Also switch off the smartphones, ipads etc. In my house we have not got the tv connected yet as we just bought it(the house) and it is surprisingly good without it. Was playing snakes and ladders tonight, but we have a PC computer, ipad, ipod, laptop, phonelet, smartphone, and a tablet. Turn the wifi off I think.

• Like 1

Yes-- its a McWorld. The westernization of everything and every place. And we wonder why some people in some counties just want us out . But of course, you and us are part of that problem. If you every get a chance, look at some old National Geographic from the early 30s and 40s if you want to see some really "good old days"

A real shock I had a couple of years ago was seeing I was traveling near where I lived when I was boy 50 years ago. So I took a detour off the main hiway to see the place again. The town was bigger and the covered bridges were gone. I went to the old swimming hole--- It was just like I remembered it. A log (different one I am sure) with a rope swing tied to it just like it was when I lived there. The whole area was just like a photograph from the past.

• Like 1