is it me who is (-) or is it you who is (+)

nonthaburial

A lot depends on where in the country you live. It is still fine in the rural areas that don't attract tourists. Though of course living in same, one is often the only farang around, and you won't find much in the way of western food in the shops. Still it is much more comfortable in small town Thailand now than it used to be...electricity far more reliable, internet available, etc etc. So some places have actually improved.

Bangkok I agree has gone way downhill in terms of quality of living. And Hua Hin, which was a favorite spot of mine in the early 1980's, is not even a remnant of its old self.

Have to say though that personally I found Pattaya intolerable even back in 1980.....

• Like 2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot depends on where in the country you live. It is still fine in the rural areas that don't attract tourists. Though of course living in same, one is often the only farang around, and you won't find much in the way of western food in the shops. Still it is much more comfortable in small town Thailand now than it used to be...electricity far more reliable, internet available, etc etc. So some places have actually improved.

Bangkok I agree has gone way downhill in terms of quality of living. And Hua Hin, which was a favorite spot of mine in the early 1980's, is not even a remnant of its old self.

Have to say though that personally I found Pattaya intolerable even back in 1980.....

Nice Post Sheryl, but your comments suggest that being isolated is OK for you , however you then go on to say there are no tourist there, which was exactly my point. Tourists in the main = decadence = trouble, and the Thais, quite rightly are very good at taking advantage of, whether its scamming or ganging up en mass on vulnerable but idiot tourists. I wonder what would happen if Thailand banned alcohol, banned prostitution (which is already illegal) and made visas even more difficult - which by the way should include jailing for a minimum of 3 months over stayers. Yes I really do wonder !!!!

This is spot on!

The village in deepest darkest Issan where my daughters' house is has gone from third world hell to about the most civilised living environment imaginable.

No more litter. No more alcoholics. Very friendly people. Gardens, fences, well decorated and well kept new homes and many have motor cars on the driveway. I know that sounds like a suburban nightmare but within the setting of rice paddy's and rubber plantations it's very pleasant.

Much of the rest of Thailand I honestly do not like, especially the Eastern Seaboard.

I always think of Stevie Y at times like this. Greatest Red Wing to ever don the jersey. In the beginning he was the young upstart trying to prove himself, then he became a superstar playing 25 minutes a game. Then hecwas the seasoned vet, still reliable but managing 18-20 minutes a game. Then he become the mentor to the next generation still well thought of but seeing less ice time and being talked about not talkedvto. Then he becomes the respected elder getting some 7 to 8 minutes of ice time with newcomers talking about him in the past tense but still with respect. And then retires to good front office job as the greatest red wing to ever play the game. To finally being the forgotten oldtimer rolled out for the odd photo shoot.

Thailand has past you by, the game is different and being played by a group of younger players...some say the game was better in the good old days....but the game today is bigger, faster and some people say better.

Leave the game for the next generation to enjoy...it may not be the same, but it is just as fun!

Nice Post Sheryl, but your comments suggest that being isolated is OK for you , however you then go on to say there are no tourist there, which was exactly my point. Tourists in the main = decadence = trouble, and the Thais, quite rightly are very good at taking advantage of, whether its scamming or ganging up en mass on vulnerable but idiot tourists. I wonder what would happen if Thailand banned alcohol, banned prostitution (which is already illegal) and made visas even more difficult - which by the way should include jailing for a minimum of 3 months over stayers. Yes I really do wonder !!!!

It seems like your years of exotic affluence and privileged travel have firmly hardened your soul against your fellow man. The perils of living a good life, I suppose.

SC

SC

• Like 1

I always think of Stevie Y at times like this. Greatest Red Wing to ever don the jersey. In the beginning he was the young upstart trying to prove himself, then he became a superstar playing 25 minutes a game. Then hecwas the seasoned vet, still reliable but managing 18-20 minutes a game. Then he become the mentor to the next generation still well thought of but seeing less ice time and being talked about not talkedvto. Then he becomes the respected elder getting some 7 to 8 minutes of ice time with newcomers talking about him in the past tense but still with respect. And then retires to good front office job as the greatest red wing to ever play the game. To finally being the forgotten oldtimer rolled out for the odd photo shoot.

Thailand has past you by, the game is different and being played by a group of younger players...some say the game was better in the good old days....but the game today is bigger, faster and some people say better.

Leave the game for the next generation to enjoy...it may not be the same, but it is just as fun!

I know just what you mean

• Like 1

Never heard of Stevie Y . What is a red wing?

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here's a link to a site where all your questions will be answered.

I'm surprised that you did not know about this site before.

www.google.com

SC

• Like 1

Here's a link to a site where all your questions will be answered.

I'm surprised that you did not know about this site before.

www.google.com

SC

This site is even better:-

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Stevie+Y

• Like 1

There have been 2 similar themed threads published on Thai visa recently:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/670250-five-reasons-why-youll-never-last-here-in-thailand/?p=6858275

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/670227-westerners-on-the-decline-in-thailand-maybe-time-to-move-on/

Is this I’m really feeling cheesed off with Thailand week?

I suggest you look at the last 2 threads and perhaps you will find your answers on those.

I also live in Thailand and have sexual, financial and emotional problems. Was going to open a thread about it, but no one is interested.

I am. But drop the financial one and stick to the other two.

my attempted post was to simply point out that Thailand's better days are over

Sounds like your better days are over too. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

but how would you know>> another newbie with less than 2 years as a TV member but knows it all. you obviously cannot read. I did ask for answers from the old brigade not newbie wanke_rs, and yes Sir you are a newbie, so kindly go back to your vipers nest and don't risk getting bitten. comments from the likes of you are ........................ insert what you want ! TV should open up memberships forum titled " I am new here but I know it all" for sure will fill or become a filled topic full of inexperienced nonsense by those children wet behind the knees

Wet behind the knees?

the reactions to my original post have somewhat surprised me, there are of course the usual's, who didn't read what I wrote carefully and responded to issues that were not there. Then there were the "youre a grumpy old sod, bugger off and take your medication" brigade, then there were those who actually read, absorbed and understood what I was trying to project.

To those who think I am a sick and boring old fart, let me put the record straight, I am not. I am fully enjoying life, a senior position in a joint venture with a 6 figure USD salary per year. My wife (Chinese) and I own a 6 level Villa in China, she drives a BMW x5, whilst I drive a Hyundai, we owe no one any money we are both very self sufficient. For ,my age I play a pretty mean game of squash, I am fit and healthy and have never taken any medication in my life.

So with the record now been put straight, I am fully aware that things never stay the same and change is inevitable, however, in the case of Thailand, that expected change has been rather rapid and as a few posters have suggested, Thailand is the best of a bad lot. Has anyone else noticed the number of threads talking about relocating to the likes of Vietnam, Cambodia., the Phils and even Myanmar. Now I wonder why ???? You can turn over any stone or rock and find nasty's underneath, it just seems to me that Thailand has too many stones.To those who think I am a sick and boring old fart

To those who think I am a sick and boring old fart

Let me put the record straight

I am not I am

Fully enjoying life

A senior position in a joint venture

With a 6 figure USD salary per year

My wife

(Chinese)

She drives a BMW x5

Whilst I drive a Hyundai

There you go! Much, much better as a poem.

the reactions to my original post have somewhat surprised me, there are of course the usual's, who didn't read what I wrote carefully and responded to issues that were not there. Then there were the "youre a grumpy old sod, bugger off and take your medication" brigade, then there were those who actually read, absorbed and understood what I was trying to project.

To those who think I am a sick and boring old fart, let me put the record straight, I am not. I am fully enjoying life, a senior position in a joint venture with a 6 figure USD salary per year. My wife (Chinese) and I own a 6 level Villa in China, she drives a BMW x5, whilst I drive a Hyundai, we owe no one any money we are both very self sufficient. For ,my age I play a pretty mean game of squash, I am fit and healthy and have never taken any medication in my life.

So with the record now been put straight, I am fully aware that things never stay the same and change is inevitable, however, in the case of Thailand, that expected change has been rather rapid and as a few posters have suggested, Thailand is the best of a bad lot. Has anyone else noticed the number of threads talking about relocating to the likes of Vietnam, Cambodia., the Phils and even Myanmar. Now I wonder why ???? You can turn over any stone or rock and find nasty's underneath, it just seems to me that Thailand has too many stones.To those who think I am a sick and boring old fart

I am not I am

Fully enjoying life

My wife

(Chinese)

She drives a BMW x5

Whilst I drive a Hyundai

So she wears the pants.

Good to see someone comfortably confident with that.

I am not I am

Fully enjoying life

My wife

(Chinese)

She drives a BMW x5

Whilst I drive a Hyundai

Cars of choice to be honest, she purchased the Beemer and I the Hyundai . Driving an expensive car in Asia is asking for trouble. But, horses for courses