Windows and Doors. Prices and advices please..

Hi guys and girls!

Ok need to buy a heap of windows and doors for a new house. I figure with the windows just going aluminium frame. Im currently not in Thailand, so can someone give me an idea on prices and sizes please?

Doors, how much are external or solid core doors and also inside doors?

Thanks!

Try web site shopping at Thai Watsudu or global they are both like home depot and have web sites that might have listings of those items. Window shopping (as in looking around latey) I found that the first dealer had large number and style. The prices were not that bad ether.

• Like 2

I had solid wood doors and window sets made by a joinery shop here in Phuket. Large, reputable shop with modern woodworking machinery. Cost was just about same as comparable items in Home Works and similar big places, but they did to my architect's specs and design. Delivery on time with excellent product. Five separate house builds like that, no problems and good prices. Don't know where you are building but probably have something similar around there, your architect should know of such.

• Like 1

I had solid wood doors and window sets made by a joinery shop here in Phuket. Large, reputable shop with modern woodworking machinery. Cost was just about same as comparable items in Home Works and similar big places, but they did to my architect's specs and design. Delivery on time with excellent product. Five separate house builds like that, no problems and good prices. Don't know where you are building but probably have something similar around there, your architect should know of such.

Where was the shop i need some unit's.

Thanks

Sounds nice but timber needs that little extra maintenance so Im opting for aluminium windows. I dont have an architect, doing it myself. Thanks for your help!

Sounds nice but timber needs that little extra maintenance so Im opting for aluminium windows. I dont have an architect, doing it myself. Thanks for your help!

I was gonna say.. Architect?????

Kris, as you know we are going to do a small build and that will include some aluminium framed windows.

Have a look at this post to see the two most common styles ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663402-enclosing-a-downstairs-bedroom-need-advice-please/?p=6758540

The sliding aluminium framed windows are cheaper, but the hinged ones will catch the most breeze.

This is a window site (in Thai) that 'she who must be obeyed' sent me ... your partner might make head and tails out of it. http://siamwindoor.tripod.com/

From what I've researched, you can go to Home-Pro and the likes ... and you pay top dollar. Probably cheaper then you will get in your home country ... but more then what the Thais pay. We (Westerners) go to these places (HomePro and the like) because it familiar and language is less of a barrier.

Most places will have a local window manufacturer who can fabricate what you want ... just be mindful, if you get a really cheap quote, remember to ask 'Does that include the glass'? ... sometimes it won't.

Glass does vary in thickness and thus, the cost.

There is some debate that you get the windows ordered first and then get the builder to install them because, being Thailand, sometimes, the hole left by the Builder and the Window to not match.

Also, the colour of the frame will also determine it's cost with the silver (plain anodised) and the mission brown colour being usually the cheapest.

Now, this is just my research ... I don't build that yet for a few months.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I was gonna say.. Architect?????
I perish the thought. Not necessary or used in any country unless your building the Taj Mahal or your a commercial builder. Perhaps some need the advice or like the advice. Then again perhaps building in the city you have to submit plans? Not in the country.

Kris, as you know we are going to do a small build and that will include some aluminium framed windows.

Have a look at this post to see the two most common styles ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663402-enclosing-a-downstairs-bedroom-need-advice-please/?p=6758540

The sliding aluminium framed windows are cheaper, but the hinged ones will catch the most breeze.

This is a window site (in Thai) that 'she who must be obeyed' sent me ... your partner might make head and tails out of it. http://siamwindoor.tripod.com/

From what I've researched, you can go to Home-Pro and the likes ... and you pay top dollar. Probably cheaper then you will get in your home country ... but more then what the Thais pay. We (Westerners) go to these places (HomePro and the like) because it familiar and language is less of a barrier.

Most places will have a local window manufacturer who can fabricate what you want ... just be mindful, if you get a really cheap quote, remember to ask 'Does that include the glass'? ... sometimes it won't.

Glass does vary in thickness and thus, the cost.

There is some debate that you get the windows ordered first and then get the builder to install them because, being Thailand, sometimes, the hole left by the Builder and the Window to not match.

Also, the colour of the frame will also determine it's cost with the silver (plain anodised) and the mission brown colour being usually the cheapest.

Now, this is just my research ... I don't build that yet for a few months.

Thanks David, planning on the sliding type ali frames. Reason is we want bars on the windows and dont think the swinging type allows bars to be fitted. I hate the look of bars on windows, its a bit sad but security has to be in place because we just holiday in the house. Thanks for the site link. My she who must be obeyed is currently checking it out. I can see another 100k being spent on this part of the build so wish me luck!..:)

^^ windows can be a big part of the expense, just from the basic costings I done.

Have a look at this older topic ... securing-security-bars-over-windows it's archived ... but a good starting point.

Doesn't have to be the prison bar look, there are some nice fancy designs going round ... only limited (as the man quoting to build a kitchen for me once) only limited by his imagination and your budget!

I understand why you have to do them, presuming that the home will be vacant for months at a time.

• Like 1