How does divorce affect Non-imm B visa?

Hi all!

My wife and I are divorcing after 14 years of marriage. I'm currently here on a non-imm B visa that has been extended to support the family. The divorce will be uncontested and is mutual. We have a 13-year old daughter.

I want to keep the current visa and, after the divorce, just change the circumstances to supporting my daughter who is a Thai national. I am the biological father and on the birth certificate. Can anyone tell me the process? Do you foresee any complications? Also, should I do the new visa in the location to which I move instead of the old office I used living in her area?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bottlerocket

You have an extension of stay based upon marriage not a visa.

You could change the reason for your extension to having a Thai child showing the same financial proof as marriage.

You would need to show at least joint custody from your divorce.

I'm sure one of the Immigration gurus will be along here soon with good advice, but it seems like "not enough information" here yet.

When I first read the post, I thought that a divorce would have no impact on a B visa that is sponsored by your employer. Your wife would have the potential problem if her visa is "dependent" of yours.

Then I realized that is only true if your wife is foreign national.

Is your wife a Thai? Is she the employer / director of the company? Is your "employment" going to be terminated with the divorce?

Lastly, are you sure it is a B visa? I thought B visas were only extended for employment reasons, not family reasons.

Bino: None of the above. I used to work here, but not for wife. She is Thai. I stopped working and have gotten an extension of stay for the last four years based on income. It is stamped "THAI WIFE".

I would like to get another extension of stay based on "THAI CHILD" after the divorce is completed.

Sorry for the off-topic post but could I ask why you never got a Thai passport? 14 years sounds like enough time, and you were married to a Thai citizen.

Was it not possible, not practical or were you just not interested?

Sorry for the off-topic post but could I ask why you never got a Thai passport? 14 years sounds like enough time, and you were married to a Thai citizen.

Was it not possible, not practical or were you just not interested?

Because he probably no longer qualifies for citizenship because he is no longer working.

one year i obtained a 1 year extenison based on my thai daughter living with me,

For PHUKET i had to show 500,000 in bank ( not seasoned) Yes phuket is an island and so has its own rules :-)

her id card and bc and the paper i had from the court granting me sole custody

Be the spouse (legal marriage), parent(s), child, adopted child or child of the foreign spouse. If
a child, they must be under 20 years of age and living with the family.
3. Have the required financial resources:
Parent(s)
-One must have an average annual income of 40,000 Baht per month or a
money deposit of not less than 400,000 Baht.

It was quite easy

Just read this on the site, is it true??? not heard this before; http://www.phuket.net/phuket-living/visas/non-immigrant-visa/

Until recently, unmarried foreigners supporting a Thai child who met the 400,000 baht annum financial requirements could apply for and extend a Non Immigrant Type O visa, however, this option is no longer available, and requires foreigners under 50 who wish to extend a non immigrant visa on a yearly basis to be legally married to a Thai national. The new changes, however, allow foreigners over 50 with a Thai child (acting as sponsor) to qualify for a dependency extension with no minimum financial requirements.

one year i obtained a 1 year extenison based on my thai daughter living with me,

For PHUKET i had to show 500,000 in bank ( not seasoned) Yes phuket is an island and so has its own rules :-)

her id card and bc and the paper i had from the court granting me sole custody

Be the spouse (legal marriage), parent(s), child, adopted child or child of the foreign spouse. If

a child, they must be under 20 years of age and living with the family.

3. Have the required financial resources:

Parent(s)

-One must have an average annual income of 40,000 Baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 Baht.

It was quite easy

Just read this on the site, is it true??? not heard this before; http://www.phuket.net/phuket-living/visas/non-immigrant-visa/

Until recently, unmarried foreigners supporting a Thai child who met the 400,000 baht annum financial requirements could apply for and extend a Non Immigrant Type O visa, however, this option is no longer available, and requires foreigners under 50 who wish to extend a non immigrant visa on a yearly basis to be legally married to a Thai national. The new changes, however, allow foreigners over 50 with a Thai child (acting as sponsor) to qualify for a dependency extension with no minimum financial requirements.

The 500k baht number is for an extension based upon a child attending school.

All I can say about info on the link you posted is it is wrong. There have been no changes. It is possible though that this is info from previous police order issued in 2006 that was replaced by police order 777/2551.

Edit: The 20 year old age limit is for a foreign child from a previous marriage to get an extension. It does not apply to you having a Thai child meaning there is no age limit.

Edited by ubonjoe

they never asked for any proof she was in school>>

why would u get a extension for Thailand based on a foreign child in Thailand??

As you said before they used the wrong number for the extension. Perhaps confusing requirements.

You need to read my post again. It is to get an extension for the foreign child not the parent.

they never asked for any proof she was in school>>

why would u get a extension for Thailand based on a foreign child in Thailand??

It is done all the time by foreign couples and single parents making there base here where a child will attend school full time and one parent can extend on that basis and the working parent then travels to Thailand on days off - or in some case each extend for different children.

• 3 months later...

How does getting divorce affects children? I want to get a divorce. But i am scared that this will affect my children? Any advice?!

What is your Nationality and what is the Nationality of your partner.

Will the wished for divorce be amicable or contested ?

All have a bearing on any advice you may receive

NB

Divorces always "affect" children

Edit

Spelling

Edited by Sceptict11

How does getting divorce affects children? I want to get a divorce. But i am scared that this will affect my children? Any advice?!

NB

Edit

Spelling

both are U.S, so what can i do?

NB

Edit

Spelling

both are U.S, so what can i do?

So sorry --------I am not American and have no knowledge of US divorce processes.

Have you contacted your Embassy/Consulate for advise.