Very big wasps in my garden

playyer

How do I get rid of these things? They are very long, 3-4 times as long as a normal wasp, black with an orange stripe on the middle. My GF calls them "Dtua Dtor" and says when they attack they take a big bite out of you and are very poisonous, children and elderly can die. Are they aggressive though? Is there pest control or something like that in Chiang Mai that can remove the nest for me? Could I do it myself?

There dont appear to be very many of them, the nest is inside or just outside a tree in my bushes.

You might try googling for an image of the asian giant hornet. It just so happens there as an article today somewhere (maybe nbc.com?) about people in China being killed by these things. Whether it's the same species as the hornet or wasp besetting your property, without a photo, it's hard to say.

If it is the asian giant hornet you probably want to call in a professional exterminator (if you can find one) to get rid of the nest. These hornets have been making the news for above average numbers in China and killing some unfortunate people. They get very agressive if anyone disturbs their nest.

Ask around locally. Someone will burn them out in return for the eggs (or larvae) to eat. Our drinking water delivery man burned our 2 nests. He came after dark, set fire to a rag on the end of a piece of bamboo & plunged it into the nest. All over quickly & no one got stung.

• Like 1

We had a nest in the chicken coop. My neighbor used the gasoline soaked rag on a stick method to incinerate them. Definitely not something I would attempt! He said if the nest got any bigger, he wouldn't have been able to burn it. Something you want to take care of early. Very aggressive buggers.

Edited by wimpy

You might try googling for an image of the asian giant hornet. It just so happens there as an article today somewhere (maybe nbc.com?) about people in China being killed by these things. Whether it's the same species as the hornet or wasp besetting your property, without a photo, it's hard to say.

I think it's appropriate to add an image.. Is this the one?

IMG_3344.jpg

That could very well be it but the one in the garden looks a bit more full-bodied but that might just be the angle. Looks a bit like this

v-mandarinia1.gif

But with one yellow stripe on the middle.

Cant do it myself though, I might set the whole area on fire....Ill ask around the neighborhood. Ill keep my dogs out of harms way when they exterminate too, the bugs might be very pissed off.

Thank you

"He came after dark, set fire to a rag on the end of a piece of bamboo & plunged it into the nest"

We had a nest to the end of the house and that's what our guy did ...only way ...and even the Thais run a mile from these sods

The farm next door had a heavy infestation recently so one of our locals put on a protective plastic suit...NASA style,rubber boots ,heavy gloves with lots of rubber bands to seal possible gaps,and as above bamboo torch.......scorched earth policy.

• Like 1

I read somewhere they will emit a pheromone when you kill one - when the rest smell it, they attack. sad.png

That's very plausible, wimpy.

So when I get stung it hurts like hell and after I killed it I am in serious trouble. I got many warnings from the villagers about them.

They way they seem to cope is just leave them alone and live with them.

How about this one? Photographed in my garden in Kan earlier this year. Probably around 3 to 4cm long. They build fantastic inverted "ali-baba" nest structures out of dirt and saliva. Most intriguing to watch.

Not sure if this was the same species that stung me on the arm from a busy nest in some bushes though. But the sting was something else. Hurt much more than a conventional wasp sting and my arm was swollen for days. If you need to get rid of your "friends" I suggest you get someone else to do it for you. If a whole swarm attack you (I was 20m away from the nest) you could be in deep trouble.

post-111239-0-24450000-1380896582_thumb.

Had a nest in a tree in my garden and my maid complained of a nasty sting that made her arm swell up badly. Called the guards of the village to ask for help. One of them asked for a can of insecticide. Then he bashed the hornets' nest with a long pole until it fell to the ground and sprayed it with nearly the whole can of insecticide. I watched from the safety of the house. It seemed to do the trick and I gave him a nice tip but I was astonished at his methodology. It seemed highly risky to me.

Get rid of the nest before it gets too big. We had a giant one that we watched get bigger and bigger over time - about 4 months. People from all around the moobaan came to look at it. It was on a vacant property next to us but only about 2.5-3 meters from where our bedroom is located. When the porch light was on at night there were often 20 of the bees on our screen door. The problem was nobody wanted to go on the property without the owner's permission. Finally the owner was contacted and it was decided that for a Buddhist it would be bad karma to destroy it. It was considered "good luck" Buddhist monks even came. Finally the owner was pressured because it was so dangerous. The whole soi had to vacate one evening and some guys came to remove the nest using the method as mentioned above. For about 3 days there were still hundreds of bees flying around and going to where the nest was. I was stung once and so was my child. The guys who came said they were indeed the Asian hornets. Were so glad to see that gone.

• Like 1

My wife was stung by a Tiger Hornet in Chiang Mai and she spent two nights in the hospital. A mountain biking friend had a friend get stung and he died from it. I carry Benedryl tablets now just in case someone gets stung to have a bit more time to get to to a hospital.

Also, the Tiger Hornet feeds on the larvae of honey bees so if you have a honey bee nest near you, the Tiger Hornets will likely come looking for it. If you see bees swarming, get away as the Tiger Hornet is especially aggressive when it is killing honey bees to get into the nest. My wife was stung when we accidentally drove the motorcycle through a swarm defending an attack.

Here is rather sensationalized documentary on a similar hornet in Japan which is fascinating. Same stuff goes on here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3io8Ys7KSGY

• 7 months later...

Wasps attacks are really a nightmare...So what I did with our wasps problem? I go with the natural, chemical-free...

This video helped me understand the safe, effective and fast wasps repellent...

Wasps attacks are really a nightmare...So what I did with our wasps problem? I go with the natural, chemical-free...

This video helped me understand the safe, effective and fast wasps repellent...

A first time poster links us to a come-on video. Any chance at all that he or she stands to gain from this?

Hornets..... yes real nasty bastards when they sting you. Got hit by just one when I was riding the motorbike. The damn thing stung me just below my left ear. Hurt like hell for about 4 hours, then took about a week to completely disappear. Now I wear a full face helmet. Not a nice experience and something I dont want to happen ever again.

My foot went through a underground bee hive when I was a very young tike.....mum gave up counting the stings at 53 and had only reached up to my knees. Never forgot that experience, but hornets are a completely different level of pain.

Best avoided IMO

• 7 years later...

Never use poison but had some nests in the patio. Local guy sprayed directly into nest with an aerosol can and managed to quickly kill them without getting stung. Removed the nest a few minutes later before returning hornets showed up. The big paper looking one on the edge of the property up a tree the neighbor farmers snuck in and stole for the larvae.   

36 minutes ago, seedy said:

Those look like the Lesser Banded Hornet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_affinis

Had a large nest in our garden about 6 meters from where I am now sitting.

Leave them alone, they leave you alone

lbh.png

Yes indeed, that's what they are.   My wife was keen to let them live where they were, but unfortunately it was next to an area where we need frequent access.   Then a case of knowing someone who knew someone, and last Sunday night some people appeared after dark, burnt off the outer shell of the hive, then removed the honeycomb.   These photos sent to my wife afterwards.

qz0OfOX.jpg

TNNLOim.jpg

Larvae considered a delicacy. Our neighbor offered 1500 THB to do the same as you had done. Turned them down.

Only down side of them is they eat bees also, but get rid of many pest species.

We never had a problem, but exercised care when around them.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, seedy said:

Larvae considered a delicacy. Our neighbor offered 1500 THB to do the same as you had done. Turned them down.

Only down side of them is they eat bees also, but get rid of many pest species.

We never had a problem, but exercised care when around them.

I would get rid of them if they were on my property. If one stings you it will hurt like hell but if for whatever reason you get multiple stings you could die. A couple of years ago a local guide died taking some tourists on a hike around Fang if i remember right. How they ended up getting attacked i dont know. The farangs ran off, the guide died at the spot.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6024/horrified-tourists-saw-thai-tour-guide-stung-to-death-by-giant-wasps-which-then-feasted-on-his-body-for-four-days/