Phuket Chinese tour bus driver flees fatal hit-and-run

webfact

No doubt he drove on til he saw a clinic, and ran away to get some help. Myanmar citizen? Put it on the end of the "to do" list, just after take care of black taxis. "Seek and ye shall find", but don't seek, don't find....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Chinese tourists on the minivan who happened to witness the hit and run will have more stories to tell about Thai 'traditions' once back home....

i have a feeling they have similar traditions in china

there was a case in the news from china a few months ago when a 6 year old girl was hit by a car, twice! in plain view of of 30-50 people and no one did a thing about it, they all ignored her and went about their business as if nothing happened

They have hired some experienced "journalists" from some of the prominent Pattaya news organisations

"Pattaya-Bashers Unite ! ! ! !"

I reckon Chang_Paarp is jealous of all of us "real" Pattayans', who actually enjoy living, working & sailing in Pattaya ? ?

coffee1.gif

I have said before and I will continue to say this

If any driver flees the scene of an accident -any accident - he should receive a mandatory 5 year prison sentence, before any additional punishment /sentence that may be applied if the driver was deemed to be at fault.

This bus was returning from a day trip. There was no fixed schedule to meet other than the driver wanting to knock off work for the day. It's hard for me to see how the tour company are at fault.

Maybe Lao Khao was involved, but I somehow doubt it. The tour guide would have known if the driver was seriously impaired by alcohol, and self protection would have kicked in as she was on the bus as well.

Cars drive very quickly on that stretch of road and the driver didn't notice the pedestrian is the most likely cause.

Running away means that he has admitted his guilt, not sure if that is actually written in Thai law, or if it is just standard practice, but it is anyway the case. It is an unfortunate fact that because the victim is a poor Myanmar worker, not too many stones will be turned over in search of the thai driver. Very sad.

The driver probably was in a extreme rush and driving too fast, and of course should not have run, but the real culprit is probably the tourcompany, that sends the drivers out on extremely tight schedules, which in good conditions and if everything goes according to plan can just about be met, but whenever there is a slight delay, let alone bad weather and such, are impossible to meet.

Not to forget too much Lao khao coffee1.gif

This bus was returning from a day trip. There was no fixed schedule to meet other than the driver wanting to knock off work for the day. It's hard for me to see how the tour company are at fault.

Maybe Lao Khao was involved, but I somehow doubt it. The tour guide would have known if the driver was seriously impaired by alcohol, and self protection would have kicked in as she was on the bus as well.

Cars drive very quickly on that stretch of road and the driver didn't notice the pedestrian is the most likely cause.

Running away means that he has admitted his guilt, not sure if that is actually written in Thai law, or if it is just standard practice, but it is anyway the case. It is an unfortunate fact that because the victim is a poor Myanmar worker, not too many stones will be turned over in search of the thai driver. Very sad.

I want to bet there was a fixed schedule to meet. They are even led to diner places where all is booked and reserved. And I'm also willing to bet they were late since the tour ended later than scheduled and after that the roads were busy and slow because of the weather.

The driver would be blamed for that, hence his rush.

He should not have run, and maybe should not have accepted the job, but claiming there was no schedule to meet really shows you do not know how these tours are set up.

The driver knows the ropes, he or his lawyer are negotiating his surrender.

As another poster pointed out things are not better in China, I was there in 2011 when a 2 or 3 year old girl was run over twice by drivers who clearly saw her. Many Chinese were sympathetic towards the drivers because a man who gave assistance to a victim of a traffic accident was sued successfully by the victims family.

• Like 1

They want maximum baht for minimum expense. That's why it is the way it is, and will continue to be.

And the package tourist wants the maximum holiday for the minimum expense. That's why it is the way it is, and will continue to be.

Sure, but Phuket used to attract the more affluent western tourist market who pumped billions of baht into the Phuket economy.

This demographic of tourist, in the last couple of years, obviously felt they were not getting what they paid for, and have moved on.

The package holiday tourist market will get what they pay for, and that is what Phuket has now become, not much of a pleasant, or safe, holiday experience.

Phuket has become less Marbella and more Magaluf.

RIP to the victim. Lets hope they catch the spineless driver.

BTW, who writes these articles? Does anyone else think that "Head Demolished" might be deemed a tad inapropriate when refering to somebodys death? Its a person thats died <deleted> not a damned building fallen down.

I expected marginally better from the Gazette.

The headline is also very misleading, makes it sound like it was a chinese driver rather than a Thai.

My question is.

In case the driver will be apprehended,will he be put in jail automatically without anybody filling a complaint in the court?

Other countries law, there is no case if there is no filing of case. A stupid law.

My question is.

In case the driver will be apprehended,will he be put in jail automatically without anybody filling a complaint in the court?

Other countries law, there is no case if there is no filing of case. A stupid law.

I believe you are right. This is another reason people flee and then hand themselves in the following day accompanied by their boss, the company lawyer, family members, etc.

It allows a provisional settlement, including bail for the driver to be negotiated so he does not get locked up while the police are considering whether or not he is guilty of causing death by reckless driving or manslaughter, etc.

If he stuck around at the scene of the accident, he might well get locked up "with murderers and rapists" even if he was completely blameless.

There was an Australian guy on here who it happened too. He killed a motorcyclist who veered across the highway into his path. He stopped at the scene and was locked up with common criminals and provisionally charged with manslaughter which is the procedure here.

Edited by Briggsy

George, your analysis shows no understanding of Thailand.

The driver runs away to get support. He needs to contact the owner of the business that he works for as, for certain, that person has a lot more clout and is able to negotiate a settlement.

In addition, the driver has no idea who he has hit. If it is a local villager, he could be badly beaten by a mob.

I agree it is wrong to run away. But your analysis is way off. Things are very, very different to the UK here. I myself am from the UK.

The fear he might be beaten by a mob is not a valid excuse. They flee to get the alcohol and or drugs out of their system. line up their power friends if they have any, and get some money together.

• Like 1

RIP to the victim. Lets hope they catch the spineless driver.

BTW, who writes these articles? Does anyone else think that "Head Demolished" might be deemed a tad inapropriate when refering to somebodys death? Its a person thats died <deleted> not a damned building fallen down.

I expected marginally better from the Gazette.

expectation is an opening for disappointment.

I have said before and I will continue to say this

If any driver flees the scene of an accident -any accident - he should receive a mandatory 5 year prison sentence, before any additional punishment /sentence that may be applied if the driver was deemed to be at fault.

Go right ahead - like any thais will care. You might as well be talking to yourself. If the law here is that the driver has 24 hrs to report to a police station, then that's what you're going to have to live with. What happens in the end is what matters here, and the facts of the incident. Others have done a good job of pointing out that there may actually be another side to this story. It's VERY tempting to pile on the driver I know, but that may well be precisely the kind of mob hysteria the thai law takes into account when it gives the driver that 24hrs!

Given that it is obvious that the police can identify the driver of a tour bus, there is one reason, and one reason only, that a driver would run away from the scene, and that is that he was under the influence of alcohol or some other substance at the time of the 'accident'.

If the woman stepped out into the road and was hit by a bus, this would clearly have to be described as an accident, and the likelihood is that the driver would be exonerated of any blame, provided that he stayed at the scene and helped the police to understand how the accident happened.

In the UK, leaving the scene of an accident turns it from an accident into a crime, with harsh penalties. I believe that here in Thailand, there should be sufficient grounds to assume that a person leaves the scene because he knows he will be charged with a more serious offence if his driving ability is found to be affected by any substance use, so there should be an automatic jail sentence for such actions.

I guess you are a "newbie" in Thailand.

In Thailand it is THE RULE that when you cause an accident, you should immediately flee the scene.

If you stay at the scene, you risk:

1. To be lynched by some locals.

2. Be punished to he maximum sentence.

But if you flee the scene and turn yourself to the police with the magic words "that you are sorry for what happened and turn yourself in", you sentence will be immediately reduced by 50% and get the pity of the police.

Khao Yai?

The driver runs away to get support. He needs to contact the owner of the business that he works for as, for certain, that person has a lot more clout and is able to negotiate a settlement.

In addition, the driver has no idea who he has hit. If it is a local villager, he could be badly beaten by a mob.

I agree it is wrong to run away. But your analysis is way off. Things are very, very different to the UK here. I myself am from the UK.

NO ,I am afraid it is you that have got it wrong!! When he runs away,who is he going to try and get support from,and how is he going to contact such support---- Mobile phone? So you think he cannot do that from inside the bus? As for the "mob"----- he would be safer inside the bus with the doors closed,or even drive away from them. No mate sorry but he is guilty of involuntary manslaughter,and if there is any drugs involved then that would have to be added to his problem,and would be the only reason he did not wish to face the police. The attitude of finding the driver is a laugh in itself.If there is a flaw in anyone who is supposed to keep records of personel,then that is also a crime and should carry a penalty,fine or whatever. When something like this happens the police should be made to get up off their asses and do the job they are paid to do. Too many people are becoming too complacent with these things and until someone is going to make a stand it will only get worse. I feel sorry for Thailand and what it has become.I love living here and hope I can just live a quiet life and enjoy it,but I dread doing anything wrong ,however innocent and minor it may be,for the cards are stacked against me.If only Thais had the guts to face up to their mistakes,what a difference it would make---------- Dougal the Kiwi

I guess Chinese tourists on the minivan who happened to witness the hit and run will have more stories to tell about Thai 'traditions' once back home....

Being a witness to this would change your life. Will they return to Phuket?cheesy.gif

They had probably decided not to return before this tragic accident anyway.Most people I talk to now say they will never return and the people who have never been say they do not want to go to Phuket.

Yes, they well bemuse their friends with the tale of the bus driver who stopped and fled and did not simply continue driving them to their destination.

I wonder how often the police catch the drivers. Even if the employer has copy of ID, doubt the police can bothered looking, especially in a far away region. That's assuming there is even a real copy ID.

Since the judge and jury are bound by the rule of baht, prosecution is in direct proportion to a victim's family's brown envelope.

Edited by unanimosity

Being a witness to this would change your life. Will they return to Phuket?cheesy.gif

RIP to the victim.

Yes, being on the bus would have been a traumatic experience for the Chinese tourists.

Also, culturally, the Chinese are very superstitious. This will effect them more than most.

In this kind of situation who gives a toss about the tourists superstitions?

And their experience was not quite as traumatic as the unfortunate Burmese lady's experience.

Yes, it seems that the death and criminal act are somewhat lost in some peoples minds.

No one mentions the poor woman, who crosees there regularly and knows the dangers, she did not hear the warning call from a woman. Yes I have feelings a woman died.

Probably jaywalking and expecting everyone to stop for her. As per my experience as both a motorcycle and car driver here in T'land.

Why blame the driver? For doing a runner yes ok, but otherwise!!!

An odd and twisted view of driver responsibility seems to be prevalent in SE Asia from my experience. India seems to be similar in that running away from an accident is commonplace. When on foot beware and look both ways before crossing and scan the roadway continually while doing so until safely on the other side.

RIP poor lady.

<snip>

In the UK, leaving the scene of an accident turns it from an accident into a crime, with harsh penalties. I believe that here in Thailand, there should be sufficient grounds to assume that a person leaves the scene because he knows he will be charged with a more serious offence if his driving ability is found to be affected by any substance use, so there should be an automatic jail sentence for such actions.

That might be the case in the UK. But here in SE Asia it is accepted that a driver may flee the scene of an accident for his/her own safety (mob justice often prevails in this part of the world), but must report to a police station within 24 hours. I am not saying I agree with this. Just something I learned an a driving test in Indonesia a long time ago. The same rule applies here in Thailand.

Thats a good trick to know if the driver is impaired at the time of the accident.

RIP to the poor lady who lost her life.

NO ,I am afraid it is you that have got it wrong!! When he runs away,who is he going to try and get support from,and how is he going to contact such support---- Mobile phone? So you think he cannot do that from inside the bus? As for the "mob"----- he would be safer inside the bus with the doors closed,or even drive away from them. No mate sorry but he is guilty of involuntary manslaughter,and if there is any drugs involved then that would have to be added to his problem,and would be the only reason he did not wish to face the police. The attitude of finding the driver is a laugh in itself.If there is a flaw in anyone who is supposed to keep records of personel,then that is also a crime and should carry a penalty,fine or whatever. When something like this happens the police should be made to get up off their asses and do the job they are paid to do. Too many people are becoming too complacent with these things and until someone is going to make a stand it will only get worse. I feel sorry for Thailand and what it has become.I love living here and hope I can just live a quiet life and enjoy it,but I dread doing anything wrong ,however innocent and minor it may be,for the cards are stacked against me.If only Thais had the guts to face up to their mistakes,what a difference it would make---------- Dougal the Kiwi

That's news to me that it is acceptable and l have lived in Thailand for 5 years.

Typical "after-the-fact" Thai male behavior. Absolutely no "public safety" cognitve awareness, and definitely no sense of accountability, or responsibility for their actions. That "mentality" is integral with Thai culture.

As for the police apprehending the driver, he will spend 3-days in jaol (at most), then released with a "verbal" reprimand, mostly because a poor immigrant woman, from Myanmar is considered to be a "nobody" of substance.

Welcome to the reality of Thailand.

What makes you think same does not happen back in China?

The video doesn't support your point lemoncake. Anyway, my post is not to be taken too serious, na?;)

They had probably decided not to return before this tragic accident anyway.Most people I talk to now say they will never return and the people who have never been say they do not want to go to Phuket.

Me and my girlfriend will certainly never go there again. What a craphole the place has turned into. Most would agree it's the most corrupt/dangerous (tourist wise) province in the country.