Why not buy a truck?

I drive the Ranger for over a year now and it's great,never a problem...but there is always a lag connected with turbo engines,Ford,Toyota etc all have it.....Considering that turbo picks up at about 1500rpm's,one just need to include this in your driving technique...

It wasn't turbo lag I experienced. It was a delayed throttle response. Found it worse on the smaller model cars like the Fiesta.

OK...I can't comment on that...my Ranger feels fine... smile.png

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It wasn't turbo lag I experienced. It was a delayed throttle response. Found it worse on the smaller model cars like the Fiesta.

I haven't felt it on the Fiesta nor Vigo. What I've experienced since coming here and driving autos (always had manual cars before) is the horrible: foot down > car thinks about dropping a gear > drops a gear or two > revs its head off > finally accelerate. I do miss simply dropping down a gear, clutch up and vrooom.

Researching trucks yeaterday and saw a few pictures of car vs pick up crashes. Scary!

I saw the indestructible Hilux on Top Gear. Very impressive. I also remember him interviewing a guest who was saying how embarrassed they were driving a Range Rover around London. He said something like, "Do you love your children? Want them to be safe? Buy the biggest car you can."

Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpful.

Hope you're happy with your choice!

I don't understand the point about why the Range Rover driver was embarrassed driving around London in his Range Rover and also, Buy the biggest car you can meaning 'vehicle' - car, SUV, pickup or 'car' as only an automobile (saloon?)?

Sorry I seem to be suddenly having this lost in translation problem - I just like to try to have a clear understanding of things .... another symptom that becomes more pronounced the longer one stays in LOS. laugh.png

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't think it would have altered anyone's opinions but I made a mistake. It's a 2007 truck. Higher milage for the year but it does come with 2 x airbags (not in a VIOS / Avanza), ABS and a 2 wheel drive, 3.0L engine.

It doesn't appear (from the suspension and cab wear) to have been a proper work-horse.

Going to go for a 2nd drive tomorrow and make sure that the leaf springs in the back don't make my wife car-sick and then take the truck. The ISUZU we're looking at has one of those full canopy covers to make the rear very useable. An open back would be useless to us.

I drove a 605,000 baht newer Hilux / Vigo today. Beginning to be more money than we want to spend.

I'm finding it harder to justify the Fiesta. Also, relatively, ~100k km in a little car is a lot compared to ~150k km in a big work horse, iron girder-type truck.

Ferang in a pick-up... need a trucker tan as I turn up and Bang Tao beach now!

Thanks for the help.

On Phuket parking is in general not a problem, just avoid Patong :)

Regarding the pickup, you don't mention the number of doors here. I have found a big difference in comfort for both driver and passenger between the 2 or (or 2+2) door trucks and the 4-door trucks. The latter are much, much more comfortable.

attachicon.gifCopy (2) of Photo0676.jpg..

This is my 2007 4x4 auto trans Vigo. Iove it, not a squeaks, rattles, knocks, doors still close like new, and drives like new etc, etc.........

Did someone say a Toyota now uses an Isuzu engine ? Hmmmmmmmmmm, thats a new one on me. sad.png

Man, that's a well kept set of wheels you have there.

What's the 'mileage' and the approximate worth?

It has a mere 70K on it, as for worth, not sure, BUT, a friend sold a nice Prerunner a bit older than mine for 550,000bht whistling.gif , yeh sounds crazy, and mine has on demand 4WD, so l would say a similar figure as my truck is in top condition and anyone who tested it would have a smile on their face. smile.png

• Like 1

This is my 2007 4x4 auto trans Vigo. Iove it, not a squeaks, rattles, knocks, doors still close like new, and drives like new etc, etc.........

Did someone say a Toyota now uses an Isuzu engine ? Hmmmmmmmmmm, thats a new one on me. sad.png

It has a mere 70K on it, as for worth, not sure, BUT, a friend sold a nice Prerunner a bit older than mine for 550,000bht whistling.gif , yeh sounds crazy, and mine has on demand 4WD, so l would say a similar figure as my truck is in top condition and anyone who tested it would have a smile on their face. smile.png

Just don't tell anyone,that it has Daihatsu engine... biggrin.png

Just don't tell anyone,that it has Daihatsu engine... biggrin.png

Sssssssssssh, it has a 426 Hemi in it but don't tell anyone cos the rear tyres only last a week. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Whenever I looked at buying second hand it was just never worth it. Buying new you get cheaper finance, a 3 year warranty and the exact make, model, extras and colour you want. When I looked at second hand Vigos a couple of years ago they were around 700K for a 3.0 4 door that was nearly 3 years old, no warranty and getting on for 100,000 km, compared to ~850K for the same truck brand new. Add in the more expensive finance and you're paying nearly the same. Apparently the big draw is that you can usually buy second hand with no down payment. Drive today, regret at leisure!

I looked at the old bangers too, 200K gets you a real shed that is over 10 years old, used and abused, possibly crashed and repaired and really ready for the scrap heap. 200K is not nothing! I bought good cars in England for 200 GBP.

And even though repairs are cheap here they do mount up. I was practically given an old clunker car that went ok, but had been "improved" by lowered suspension, bigger wheels and all the usual trappings of idiocy. By the time I'd made the car basically roadworthy then run it for a year I was getting on for 100K down, and still just had an old shed that could go bang at any minute.

I bought a new Vigo 4 door 4wd 3 years ago.

Put 1/3 down and pay the rest monthly.

Very low interest rate.

Perfect car for Thailand. Servicing is cheap. Dealers everywhere. More economic than a Toyota Vios in terms of fuel costs. My friend and I have taken her Vios from Samui to Ranong and ack and my Vigo on the same trip. Vigo cost slightly less.

Strong. Check out Jeremy Clarckson on top gear trying to destroy one. After numerous other crazy tests he put it on top of a 30 story building that was then demolished by controlled explosion. They dug it out the rubble and it still ran. OK chassis had broken a bit but the cab had become the monocoque.

Very safe.

I am not normally a new car buyer but here in Thailand it makes huge sense.

Completed 60k in it. At 60k it needed new brake pads and the discs milled marginally to correct small run out on discs. Total cost for service including all fluids and filters etc was 6k

Comfortable, I like the auto, and just so practical as so many have said.

Did Jeremy Clarckson trying to destroy a toyota vigo?

No, that was an old Hilux. If he tried the same with a VIGO it would've made for a pretty short segment ;)

• Like 1

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world!

You are only half right. Not sure if Ford still sells the Ranger in the USA, but it was on the menu for years.

I not half right but 100% right!

The Ranger is no longer sold in the U.S. you will have to buy a F150, and yes in the past you could have gotten a Ranger. The Ford Ranger is now made in Rayong just like the Toyota?

Today Ranger is nothing like the Ranger sold in U.S or here in Thailand. The Tech in today truck is in no comparision whatsoever!

I wouldn't worry too much about parking or even where one lives, here in Pattaya, the way they drive I know bigger is better the benefits far out weigh the size! I would feel more safe going through a intersection in a truck than a Fiesta.

... it has a 426 Hemi in it but don't tell anyone cos the rear tyres only last a week. whistling.gif

It could an air issue ... what tyre pressure are you running.

I've heard that up 54psi is safe to run?

Thoughts ... ?

Whatever number comes right before "Max Pressure" on the tire sidewall - you simply can't argue with embossed facts like that!

As for why TA's tires only lasted a week, I suspect that's because they were Michelin junk.

Batter up!

Sorry TA, couldn't resist tongue.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world!

You are only half right. Not sure if Ford still sells the Ranger in the USA, but it was on the menu for years.

I not half right but 100% right!

The Ranger is no longer sold in the U.S. you will have to buy a F150, and yes in the past you could have gotten a Ranger. The Ford Ranger is now made in Rayong just like the Toyota?

Today Ranger is nothing like the Ranger sold in U.S or here in Thailand. The Tech in today truck is in no comparision whatsoever!

I wouldn't worry too much about parking or even where one lives, here in Pattaya, the way they drive I know bigger is better the benefits far out weigh the size! I would feel more safe going through a intersection in a truck than a Fiesta.

Are you saying the Ranger built in Rayong is not the one sold here in Thailand ?

I'd steer clear from the Ford's, they have a horrible throttle on the recent models with a big delay on it which can cause problems, especially when trying to move slowly or edge out at a junction for example.

All Ford models or just the Ranger ?

A throttle box fixes the delay on the Ranger and is plug and play.

In defence of the Ranger, I bought a year old 4x4 from a Thai guy in need of money for 350K eight years ago, has never missed a beat in the 250k Km serviced every 10K. when I bought a new car 2 years ago received offers of 300K+ from a couple of people who knew the car, all rejected. First class car will probably never be sold.

• Like 2

I'd steer clear from the Ford's, they have a horrible throttle on the recent models with a big delay on it which can cause problems, especially when trying to move slowly or edge out at a junction for example.

In defense of the Ranger, I bought a year old 4x4 from a Thai guy in need of money for 350K eight years ago, has never missed a beat in the 250k Km serviced every 10K. when I bought a new car 2 years ago received offers of 300K+ from a couple of people who knew the car, all rejected. First class car will probably never be sold.

That's what I'm talking about: 'That unshakeable bond between a guy and his truck/SUV' thumbsup.gif

Edited by thailoht

In defense of the Ranger, I bought a year old 4x4 from a Thai guy in need of money for 350K eight years ago, has never missed a beat in the 250k Km serviced every 10K. when I bought a new car 2 years ago received offers of 300K+ from a couple of people who knew the car, all rejected. First class car will probably never be sold.

That's what I'm talking about: 'That unshakeable bond between a guy and his truck/SUV' thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Actually it's the wife who loves the Ford but must admit I love taking it off road when I go to the village, never been in shtuk with it.biggrin.png

That's what I'm talking about: 'That unshakeable bond between a guy and his truck/SUV' thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Actually it's the wife who loves the Ford but must admit I love taking it off road when I go to the village, never been in shtuk with it.biggrin.png

That's even more PC: 'That unshakeable bond between a guy and his gal and their truck/SUV' clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a little off topic here but I have bought numerous import cars here and i'm done with that I want a car that can actually get properly serviced in this country.

I hope there is someone that can give me a little advice on what would be

the best Pickup Truck on sale (non import) in the country.

Price and Gas mileage are no object

Just the best driving/handling truck available serviceable in the country.

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers

Maybe a little off topic here but I have bought numerous import cars here and i'm done with that I want a car that can actually get properly serviced in this country.

I hope there is someone that can give me a little advice on what would be

the best Pickup Truck on sale (non import) in the country.

Price and Gas mileage are no object

Just the best driving/handling truck available serviceable in the country.

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers

For me it has to be the ISUZU. Mine is the 4x4 four door with a 3 Litre engine. To get to that choice, I hired several different makes for a few weeks each and found the ISUZU to be the best all rounder for my liking.

It is a sturdy truck and handles big loads for long distances. It is soooo comfortable on long runs and very maneuverable in traffic.

Change the truck at 400,000 KM or 4 years, normally that is before 4 years... ISUZU always appeared to be the best, this last time test drove them all again, this time one was better, so have a Mazda BT50, so far still think it is the best Thai truck, now has done over 200,000 KM already, faultless, oil change is every 4 - 6 weeks, had new Tyres at 120,000 KM, and new wiper blades, and belts.... brakes are still fine....... mixture of driving average is 14.2 KM per lt.. and a heavy right foot beat the D-Max

...something like 60% of Thais still work in agriculture.

Maybe for one week a year when they visit the old folks at home on holiday they 'help out a bit', but your figure is wildly out of date.

The latest World Bank figures say 39%, but even that is rather dubious as reporting of outside work in Thailand is unlikely, and most people still give their 'home address' as down on the farm, even though they're in Bangkok 50 weeks of the year . Anecdotally, if one goes to the village one sees almost exclusively children and old people - all the working-aged people are away toiling for global capital in the cities.

Btw, ignis, you're driving 100,000 kilometers per year?! Ten times as much as I would.