American returning to the U.S.A. with nothing..?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Cheapcharly -But now fuel is expensive.... USA really suck.!

The amount of debt is quickly approaching the federal debt ceiling, a legal limit to borrowing that currently stands at $16.4 trillion. About 45 percent is held by public entities, including parts of the government (e.g. Social Security Fund). Foreign countries listed include both private and public investors, according to monthly U.S. Treasury data.

I think the OP better live in Thailand. If you are in Thailand now.

Try to set a tent In one of the tent cities across America.

Where all these huge rv went?

Best way is to buy a small rv and live inside.

But now fuel is expensive.... USA really suck.!

I hate to bust your bubble but you may be better off in thailand for the short term. Hitting the ground at say LAX with nothing is a recipe for disaster. Dont know how much money you have on hand but being homeless in a major us city is no joke, and social support programs wont always be there for you, especially right away.

I would stay in thailand until you can work some support out with family or friends in the us. at least you can get 30 baht meals here. worst case shack up with some backpackers. at least your life will not be in danger.

Edited by Drones

I hate to bust your bubble but you may be better off in thailand for the short term. Hitting the ground at say LAX with nothing is a recipe for disaster. Dont know how much money you have on hand but being homeless in a major us city is no joke, and social support programs wont always be there for you, especially right away.

I would stay in thailand until you can work some support out with family or friends in the us. at least you can get 30 baht meals here. worst case shack up with some backpackers. at least your life will not be in danger.

Been here, done this, but thanks for the idea. The street food here in Thailand is certainly inexpensive and doesn't get me sick often. However, we are talking about life beyond food carts and cheap prostitution.

There is no "support" network available to me. Again, thanks for the idea but it was thought of before.

LAX was just a mentioned arrival point. I have no intention of settling down in Los Angeles. It does appear to be the least expensive economy flight option.

Social Security was also mentioned. I don't have my card, only know my number, and don't qualify for disability even if I were disabled due to lack of recent contributions. Does anyone know how you confirm your SS# without an address etc.?

I don't think you ever need the actual ss card, at least i never did in many years. you could probably get a replacement at the local ss office with a passport.

i believe that if you apply for food stamps or welfare you get a govt id card for this that looks just like a credit card that you use at checkout. could function as another form of id in a pinch.

im hearing what your saying re thailand. i am in a similar position regarding mindset, but without the disaster aspect fortunately. have you considered vietnam? i have, and am doing half years there now, slowly replacing thailand.

vietnam has more of an 'edge' but does not have the monotony coupled with ha ha feeling and prostitute cliche as thailand. that is, it exists certainly, but you are not treated as a sex tourist and it feels like/is more to life there then that. also does not have this fake patsy type smiling stuff that i started viewing with contempt here after the first couple years :(

never will really fit in there either however, need to go back to the states to get that genuine cozy feeling.

you can also get plentiful english teaching jobs starting at around 15 per hour (usd) btw, like in hanoi. from what i hear these are 'real' respectable positions jobs not the fake crocks like what we see in thailand.

could be worth the short flight from bangkok for a month or two on your way back to see what happens.

Edited by Drones
  • Like 1

I don't think you can rent a car or van. If you're planning to live in a van, I think it would be more expensive than renting a cheap room. For medical care, most counties have something called cmsp, county medical services program, or something to that extent. If you are indigent, and present yourself at a hospital , they are forced to treat you. If you have assets, they can eventually take them from you. If you have no assets, there is nothing to take.

This is incorrect, and unwise. Some hospitals are required to administer emergency care. No hospitals are required to give any other care. When hospitals are required to give emergency care, you still get a bill. Even if they are unable to collect, your credit will be ruined, making it very, very difficult to get housing, many jobs will be unavailable to you, you will not be able to borrow money to buy a car or a home, auto and health insurance premiums will be higher, and so on. When you do have wages and assets, you are subject to garnishment and seizure. You will be liable for the initial bill, plus interest and penalties. It's not as simple as "If you have no assets, there is nothing to take." That kind of cavalier attitude could destroy your future.

Thousandpercent,

Thanks for saying this!!! I can't seem to find medical (travel) insurance for a trip home to the US, (that actually covers anything) and I can't tell you how many people, educated people, tell me this BS about "just go to any hospital, they have to treat illegal aliens, they will have to treat you" as if there are no consequences. And IF you have assests, as I have a fair amount, enough to be retired in Thailand, that they won't take those assets from you to pay the bill. I really don't understand why certain fellow Americans seem to have no understanding about this!

I mean, really, the whole point, isn't that I am worried I will die if I visit with no insurance, it is that I will be presented with $100K or $300K bill when I leave, and that will seriously impact my living standard forever since I no longer work. Anyway, sorry to be off topic a bit here.

I have a "friend" in Oregon that had his girlfriend leave him. She was the one with the money and the house. She left him with nothing. He is in his late 70s. The state put him in an assisted living home. Pays for his medical and he gets to keep $75 of his SS for personal expenses. Not the high life he was used to. His girlfriend took him to the far east and Europe on vacations and he drove around in a brand new Preius---- but he is not on the street. .

Edited by bunnydrops

There are plenty of decent flophouses in La La Land.

As far as renting a car, you're out of luck. Stick a thumb out, or catch a bus, get downtown, start in a hostel or shelter, then find a weekly apartment.

Get food stamps, get a job. Keep your eye on the ball, save, save, save, and in six months, you'll be on your feet again.

And don't be stupid. Forget Thailand.

Thailand wasn't the problem.

You know what I like about the Japanese?

They don't find pleasure or advantage in pointing fingers.

When a problem arises, they do. First they work at fixing things, then they might take a look at who's responsible.

I gave this topic 5-stars. It's a lesson that any reader considering moving to Thailand would benefit from reading.

I sympathize with you Bruce, but more importantly, I empathize with you. I too, badly want to go home. But I have a GF here I think the world of, and fortunately, I have retirement coming in. But I really do understand and respect you don't want to fight, just want to go back and (someday) die where you know.

Since some specifics are still missing (how much is "nothing?" $1000, $3000, $400? What skills do you have?), after reading your posts, I'd offer this if I were headed home with, say, $5000 in my pocket, once my feet were on U.S. soil:

(I'd search constantly for flights at discounts. I'd route through L.A., into the southwest. Often no more for that extra leg.)

When I first retired, I bought an old motorhome, not out of necessity, for the adventure. I don't like new stuff much. It cost me $1800 at an estate sale. I cleaned it for a week, tossed in some extra radiator hoses, and took off. That old bitch took me all over Mexico, central America, back up into Idaho, Utah, and more, for over a year. She looked awful. Other vehicles avoided her (a plus). But she was faithful, not needing much. And, man, was that bunk ever comfortable. I slept better with her than since I was a kid.

So, I'd buy an old motor home (after having a mechanic check it out), fill up, and head to a small town. Lots of old ones sitting about, people want to dump them, with the current price of gas and economy.

I'm presentable, I'm sociable, I'm articulate. Obviously you are a sharp guy, who knows how to present himself, and you are certainly articulate. You're not a whiner, you're in touch with reality. I'd take any menial labor job I could get. Dishwasher sounds good. A free meal everyday. See, we're Americans, we can do that. We don't care about face, or silly pride. We're men.

Find a restaurant with a big parking lot (lots like this in the southwest, very open there) where I could ask the owner to park the camper out of sight, out back, after briefly explaining my situation and firm intent to get back on my feet like a man. Now you have an income, and an address.

Pay for electric and water, double as night security. Minimum wage will add up quick since my living costs are minimal. I'd soon seek out a second, part time job, even at minimum wage.

Here's the best part: Unforeseen opportunities will always present themselves to decent people who work hard and earn respect from the locals. There are lots of good people in small towns in the States. Hard work is still rewarded.

I like your posts.

I'd tell you good luck, but you don't need it. You'll make your own.

• Like 2

Life is hard in the USA.

U are better here in Thailand with 400$ than in the USA.

Many guys like me live low cost in thailand, while others live with parent pensions. Probably they fight at home," go get a job, bring more money, get your ass out of my house, you live on my back... "

Many become crazy, Take gun, and go shooting practice.

Watch news, you don't want be the next target of a crazy guy.

What a sad outlook. Unfortunately it's not an uncommon frame of mind for foreigners here.

Thankfully, it's not the OP's.

Hey Bruce Mangosteen thanks for posting about your situation. I can see some merit in the suggestions to try a non-tourist part of Thailand and see how you get on there, but you sound as if you know what you want to do and I respect that. I'd be interested to hear about your experience if/when you make it back to the US of A. I think many of us might find ourselves in a situation like yours when for whatever reason we decide it is time to head home to what we know. So whatever you do, keep posting. Thanks.

• Like 1

[quote] I have a "friend" in Oregon that had his girlfriend leave him. She was the one with the money and the house. She left him with nothing. He is in his late 70s. The state put him in an assisted living home. Pays for his medical and he gets to keep $75 of his SS for personal expenses. Not the high life he was used to. His girlfriend took him to the far east and Europe on vacations and he drove around in a brand new Preius---- but he is not on the street. .[/quote]

THIS is they way it works. The only people in the US who are on the streets choose it. They are usually severe alcoholics and/or drug addicts and if you put them in a facility, it won't tolerate their antics and they run back to the streets. The US is rich enough that they can make a decent living just sitting on a street corner with a cardboard sign.

[quote]This is incorrect, and unwise. Some hospitals are required to administer emergency care. No hospitals are required to give any other care. When hospitals are required to give emergency care, you still get a bill. Even if they are unable to collect, your credit will be ruined, making it very, very difficult to get housing, many jobs will be unavailable to you, you will not be able to borrow money to buy a car or a home, auto and health insurance premiums will be higher, and so on. When you do have wages and assets, you are subject to garnishment and seizure. You will be liable for the initial bill, plus interest and penalties. It's not as simple as "If you have no assets, there is nothing to take." That kind of cavalier attitude could destroy your future.

This is only partly true. The hospital is required to "stabilize" the person. If that means open heart surgery, then it happens. They cannot kick a dying person to the curb.

"Some hospitals" means any hospital that receives Federal funds, which means virtually all of them. If they treat Medicare patients or Medicaid patients, or receive grants for equipment or building or any dollar of Federal money, they are required.

[quote]Thanks for saying this!!! I can't seem to find medical (travel) insurance for a trip home to the US, (that actually covers anything) and I can't tell you how many people, educated people, tell me this BS about "just go to any hospital, they have to treat illegal aliens, they will have to treat you" as if there are no consequences. And IF you have assests, as I have a fair amount, enough to be retired in Thailand, that they won't take those assets from you to pay the bill. I really don't understand why certain fellow Americans seem to have no understanding about this!

I mean, really, the whole point, isn't that I am worried I will die if I visit with no insurance, it is that I will be presented with $100K or $300K bill when I leave, and that will seriously impact my living standard forever since I no longer work. Anyway, sorry to be off topic a bit here.

Every hospital has a charity fund. If someone can't pay a bill and the hospital interviews the person and realizes it, the bill will most likely be written off with no damage to the patient's credit. You are most likely to fall into that category.

[quote]Life is hard in the USA.

Many guys like me live low cost in thailand, while others live with parent pensions. Probably they fight at home," go get a job, bring more money, get your ass out of my house, you live on my back... "

How many times do I have to post that graph and link, proving that the gun murder rate is literally ten times higher per capita in Thailand than it is in the US? How many times do I have to post the other links showing the all violent crime has dropped by 1/2 in the US in the past 20 years?

Thailand is what's dangerous, including a far higher death rate on the highways per capita than most places including all Western countries.

If you want safe, get your butt to the US - just stay out of the decaying inner big cities which is where the lazy druggies congregate for their handouts, and commit crimes to support their drug habits. Canada has its bad spots, including in Vancouver, as does Australia and London and most Western countries. But none is as dangerous as Thailand.

[quote]At least I(we) don't have to work my(our) ass off for these 65years old retired who think they will retire under Coco trees with my (our) money.

This is what young generation should understand, the money they're making now will serve to pay retirement for seniors. Not their retirement.

In my point of view . better to live decently poor in thailand than working like crazy in usa and be riped off by tax office at the end to sustain this ridiculous ponzy scheme. With inflation coming and higher tax, I believe there will be no-one playing this stupid game soon. They say already when Obama will leave his seat, over 100 millions will be assisted.

Your best bet is to stay in thailand and send USA to hell. USA is doomed.

Who is with me?

"Who is with me?" No one who is sane or not a loser.

Which is it, looney tunes? "100 millions will be assisted" or there is no assistance?

There are places in rural US which are just as cheap to live as Thailand, and if a citizen, especially a senior, there is assistance in several ways including Medicaide health care for the poor. Read the first paragraph in this post - the one I quoted. That's how it works and Thailand will do nothing for you.

• Like 1

Life is hard in the USA.

What a sad outlook. Unfortunately it's not an uncommon frame of mind for foreigners here.

By quoting that post you are reading and quoting complete and total misinformation and non reality. its the same as turning on your USA news, which is not reality. dont be clueless

• Like 2

^ gawd, what a load of shit. Not everyone thinks cheap prostitutes make a country worthwhile.

to OP True major car rental companies require credit cards, but some smaller " Rent a wreck " types don't. Of course you'll need some cash. If you're e broke , seems a car is an unaffordable luxury

here 's a links if you really hit the skids

http://voices.yahoo.com/a-survivors-guide-being-homeless-america-8689483.html

I found another thread about the driving issue with varied opinions.

The credit card is another major issue. I have a debit card(VISA) but when I left most rental car companies didn't accept debit cards....FYI, Thai electron VISA cards aren't accepted for online purchases either.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671969-american-with-expired-us-drivers-license-but-have-thai-dl/

Edited by EOB1948

Life is hard in the USA.

By quoting that post you are reading and quoting complete and total misinformation and non reality. its the same as turning on your USA news, which is not reality. dont be clueless

I honestly have no idea what you are attempting to say.

Know nothing about the US however just got back from the UK and the rental car Co, same as Alamo, accepted a debit card NZ bank, no problem.

But be careful if you go that way for I am having problems now with them extracting money from the card, have deactivated it.

The way I read things the OP is not young and not in good health so work may not be a great option.

Good luck mate but don't just go to die plan to go and live.

OP, I have just re-read your original post. You mention health care but don't say if you need it right away. You say only for sure that you were scammed out of most of your money and want to head home.

It's a good idea. If I had hit rock bottom and needed to head home but didn't have a place to go or much money, I would try to catch a flight to San Diego. You won't have to worry about weather much as it doesn't get real hot or cold. It's far enough S. to be warm but the ocean tempers the climate.

It is also rather wealthy. If I was really on the bottom I would get a cardboard sign and sit on a street corner for a while and build up some cash. The TV program 60 minutes filmed such a guy and then followed him when he left his spot. He walked a couple of blocks and got into a car and drove to his house. The film crew confronted him and he honestly said that he could make more money doing that than he could working a job, and he had no one to answer to. Americans are very compassionate and giving.

In the meantime San Diego has good mass transit and you could find the Senior Services Office and tell them your story. They would help you. They know where the men's shelters are, where you can get food, where to apply for food stamps (EBT card) and so on. Eventually you'd get on your feet and could get a real job even if it's a greeter and Walmart or whatever.

I would far, far rather be broke in San Diego or anywhere in America where there are Senior and other Services than in LOS where there's nothing and I was just that broke farang.

Good luck.

PS. Rents are high in San Diego. Once you have a few bucks and are ready to leave the shelters, etc., catch a Greyhound bus to a smaller town with cheap rents but some big box stores and fast food places so you can get a job and a place to live. Build from there.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Life is hard in the USA.

I honestly have no idea what you are attempting to say.

oh hey, it's not you at all guy, it's simply the source of your quote as it comes from a source which has posted over and over disinformation about the USA. one that has no clue as to options available in the country to a guy like the OP.

OP, I have just re-read your original post. You mention health care but don't say if you need it right away.

Yes, I shall we say want it right away. I have health insurance here in Thailand. I'm not so "stupid" as to live here without same. I got on the new site and was along with millions of others, was unable to establish how to buy coverage in the USA. They request an address/state and I didn't see a way to indicate living overseas. In my quest for information I was advised(informed opinion?) that ex pats don't get fined early next year.

Thanks for the suggestion about San Diego. As mentioned, since I'm not broke I'll most likely go to a place I've been before rather than an unknown one. For some reason, I forgot winter was upon us. As you know, we sort of lose that concept living in Thailand. Another expense on arrival as I don't even have a long sleeve shirt or jacket.

OP, I have just re-read your original post. You mention health care but don't say if you need it right away.

Yes, I shall we say want it right away. I have health insurance here in Thailand. I'm not so "stupid" as to live here without same. I got on the new site and was along with millions of others, was unable to establish how to buy coverage in the USA. They request an address/state and I didn't see a way to indicate living overseas. In my quest for information I was advised(informed opinion?) that ex pats don't get fined early next year.

Thanks for the suggestion about San Diego. As mentioned, since I'm not broke I'll most likely go to a place I've been before rather than an unknown one. For some reason, I forgot winter was upon us. As you know, we sort of lose that concept living in Thailand. Another expense on arrival as I don't even have a long sleeve shirt or jacket.

Oh hey I'm sure picking up warm clothing could be had for next to nothing. perhaps others have ideas on that one

Oh hey I'm sure picking up warm clothing could be had for next to nothing. perhaps others have ideas on that one

Go to a thrift store like The Salvation Army or Goodwill and they sell stuff that's donated cheap. Sometimes the stuff is new, but someone gained weight or something. That is the good part about starting in San Diego unless you do know people who can help you somewhere else. The richer the city, the nicer the things are that are donated. And yes people in San Diego have warm clothes because there are mountains where they vacation and ski.

Go directly to Senior Services and don't pass go, wherever you go. Ask them about health care. There's Medicaid which is free and they can help you with all kinds of such things.

• Like 1

Go to a thrift store like The Salvation Army or Goodwill and they sell stuff that's donated cheap. Sometimes the stuff is new, but someone gained weight or something. That is the good part about starting in San Diego unless you do know people who can help you somewhere else. The richer the city, the nicer the things are that are donated. And yes people in San Diego have warm clothes because there are mountains where they vacation and ski.

Go directly to Senior Services and don't pass go, wherever you go. Ask them about health care. There's Medicaid which is free and they can help you with all kinds of such things.

Have you been in a Salvation Army or a Goodwill store lately? If you get lucky you may find something you want on the cheap. However, times have changed and prices at these two outlets have risen dramatically.

Have you been in a Salvation Army or a Goodwill store lately? If you get lucky you may find something you want on the cheap. However, times have changed and prices at these two outlets have risen dramatically.

No I haven't, but they can't charge retail or no one would go there. Other alternatives are Walmart, K-Mart and Target, But I can't believe the Thrift shops wouldn't be cheaper.

you won't get health insurance until jan 1. if you go to a state medicaid was expanded you will qualify for medicaid but you will need proof. .. your tax returns...you will need proof of address and id card for that state.... you don't need the healthcare.gov website to do this. it will be the state medicaid website.