When Thais talk **** about you right in front of your face...

Nautilus05

I hear you ... no pun intended.

My gf is happy I don't speak or understand Thai.

Sometimes, I happy with that also.

Sometimes it's better not to know.

Sometimes ...

Especially when they get to watching those Thai soap operas. They are a good reason to never learn Thai. On the other hand I some times wish I could understand it when the wife watches some of the comedy shows. They remind me of Milton Berle. (obviously I am an oldster)

But truth be known there is a lot of difference between speaking it and understanding it when they are just non stop. If I had been in that position and been able to speak and understand it. I might have suggested she get a job in Pattaya. In a nice way of course.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amuses me to see this thread,on a scale of 1 to 100, i reckon farangs bad mouth thais 97 and thais bad mouth farang 3,and 2 of them,the farang deserved it.I here issan monkeys on here,farm fresh,dark skin racism compared to thai white skin, all the crap,abusing thais

Have you ever heard the phrase, "you get as good as you give"?

Perhaps there is a reason you hear these farang berate Thais. You ever think of that?

To the OP why did she talk shyt about you for no reason? Did you do something to provoke such a response from her?

It's odd but from what i know most ppl wouldn't actually make a racial comment along those lines.

People with small minds don't need a reason to denigrate others. Just look at the community here on TV, much less a Thai girl with the equivalent of a 6th grade western education.

• Like 2

It's not just Thais that do it, all races are guilty. I was on our local ferry a few weeks back, and a group of Chinese were talking impolitely about me and my GF. The look of horror, when GF asked them had they enjoyed their trip to the island in mandarin was priceless. There are tossers from all countries...

is your gf chinese? Well of course not likely if not they wouldn't be speaking about her openly but pls share how did she know mandarin.

To the OP why did she talk shyt about you for no reason? Did you do something to provoke such a response from her?

It's odd but from what i know most ppl wouldn't actually make a racial comment along those lines.

People with small minds don't need a reason to denigrate others. Just look at the community here on TV, much less a Thai girl with the equivalent of a 6th grade western education.

No reason to try and interject logic into a good Thai slag thread, the keyboard barstool warriors hate that....

All in all, anything that starts with "farangs" in the sentence is 99% sure to be incorrect and bigoted.

In all honesty, it's no worse than farangs sitting around starting a sentence with "they". But if foreigners really understood, the happy smiley image of Thailand would be pretty much ruined.

The Bank Manager in the Bangkok Bank in Phuket when I questioned why I had been kept waiting for over an hour to convert Euro to Thai Baht suggested in Thai that I should go fornicate with my mother. The girl in the exchange booth simply went to lunch and left me standing there. When I complained to the head office they did not seem to think his comment was was worthy of an apology... I closed my account. To those who suspect that they are being insulted, demeaned etc by Thai's there is only one Thai word to learn and that is Jing Law .... Really? Say it and just walk away. They then can not be sure if you understood what they were talking about. Really screws them up!

i just closed my account too at bangkok bank for about the same reasons. ! coincedense. no way

I always found the manager and his female assistant in the branch to be racist in the extreme. This was not the first instance that I had in this branch. I had the exact same problem in their branch in Lotus in Surat Thani .... Left sitting while they dealt with every Tom Dick and Somchai. I once made a phone call from a police station threatening the Bank with making a police report when a Euro transfer went missing for the best part of 2 weeks. Lo and behold it appeared within the hour.

It is the same in Indonesia.

I used to have a beer with this old english guy who still had a colonialist type mentality.

It was amusing listening to the staff talk <deleted> to and about him and he thinking they were singing his praises.

In a bizare twist this guy started "dating" one of the bar staff, he decided he needed a driver and she offered up one of her female friends.

The female friend was the bar girls lesbian live in lover. So the two lesbians got to go everywhere together on his dime and with this guy being none the wiser. Sorry, off topic.

You really were a good mate to the old gent then!

• Like 1

You are "farang" to them, that is, an object, rather than a human being. This is also why many Thais have very difficult to deal with the fact, that a white skin, a "farang", so totally different from a normal human being, can speak Thai.

In order for us to make ourself a little more human, less objectified, we should try to avoid calling ourselves "farang" all the time.

Hear hear!

All in all, anything that starts with "farangs" in the sentence is 99% sure to be incorrect and bigoted.

In all honesty, it's no worse than farangs sitting around starting a sentence with "they". But if foreigners really understood, the happy smiley image of Thailand would be pretty much ruined.

The thing that really gets my goat is when they say "farang mun....". Not sure why it still bothers me as 99% of Thais say it.

I was in Marks and Spencers in Scotland last year when I saw a Thai woman speaking on her telephone. I ended up near her and she was bad-mouthing farang. Then she said she was scared of us. I then looked at her and said, "no need to be afraid, we don't bite", in Thai. She was so shocked! I asked her where she was from and I lived in Khon Kaen. She said I'm from Aberdeen and ran away.

If I hear a person insult me, regardless of where I am or in what language I'll deal with it in the appropriate way. I have even got into a fight because of it but they'll certainly not get a stupid farang smile or ANY politeness which would strengthen their belief that we are all idiots.

Well, once I did let it go -I was in Bamrungrad hospital 10 years ago as my daughter was born there. I went to the toilets and two idiots walked in and started calling me 'farang kee ngok' and 'ngo'. I wasn't going to let anything ruin that perfect day.

Once I had a golf caddie calling the group of us names. It was worth it to see the look on her face when she got zero tip.

Ohhhhh a farang that can speak thai!!!! AMAZING!!!!

Then an asian that speaks english or engrish just a slight accent in pronounciation gets mocked to bits.

Nope no sympathy for farang here. It's like the farangs in the USA complaining why they have a BET for black ppl but not WET or white entertainment tv. Why is there a black fraternity but not exclusive white fraternity. Nope this is small really unimportant stuff and asians that live in farang countries deal with it with 0 coverage.

That's one option, although I think under the rules you would actually lose face (and give face to them) by saying that, because they've already been embarrassed about it and technically lost face and apologised.

A better option is to "forget" that it happened and be polite, even smarmily polite. Then under the rules of engagement, they have to be even more nice to you to make amends (give face) for their original misdemeanour and the fact that you aren't trying to take away their face directly by mentioning the original incident. In a round-a-bout sort of way, you're making them lose face by them being compelled to give you face.

She will know she's being screwed, but will have to play by the rules....provided YOU play by the rules. This can go on forever, until she outdoes you and gives you super-big face in some way, and then it's technically even - or you may find that she manages to put you in a situation where you have to repay face to her.

The Rugby rules are a piece of cake compared to the Face rules.

Yes, but the conclusion I have come to is that face is only followed by cowardly people, who are unwilling to look within, and introspect. It is a device which prevents such behavior. Those of us who are willing to take a hard cold look at ourselves, have no time nor any need for such a silly device as face. So, it does not apply to a lot of us, thankfully. So, how can you lose face, when you do not practice face, nor care about face?

• Like 2

I was in Marks and Spencers in Scotland last year when I saw a Thai woman speaking on her telephone. I ended up near her and she was bad-mouthing farang. Then she said she was scared of us. I then looked at her and said, "no need to be afraid, we don't bite", in Thai. She was so shocked! I asked her where she was from and I lived in Khon Kaen. She said I'm from Aberdeen and ran away.

If I hear a person insult me, regardless of where I am or in what language I'll deal with it in the appropriate way. I have even got into a fight because of it but they'll certainly not get a stupid farang smile or ANY politeness which would strengthen their belief that we are all idiots.

Well, once I did let it go -I was in Bamrungrad hospital 10 years ago as my daughter was born there. I went to the toilets and two idiots walked in and started calling me 'farang kee ngok' and 'ngo'. I wasn't going to let anything ruin that perfect day.

Once I had a golf caddie calling the group of us names. It was worth it to see the look on her face when she got zero tip.

Sometimes, you just have to take it with a grain of salt. Do not forget they had a couple of generations of leaders here who were pushing a nationalist agenda, and calling farengs stupid fits right into that small minded agenda. Of course it does not require any intelligence to lead the world in banking, finance, the winning of Nobel peace prizes, pulitzers, oscars, peabodys, and other awards that recognize outstanding achievement and contributions.

I find that just saying a little something in Thai will change their attitude.

You don't need to know much thai, just a few phrases that will apply to almost any situation.

Just enough that they will think you understand them.

My favorite ( I used it just this morning):

When you hear the word Farang used smile and in Thai tell them " I am not Farang, I am Saparot!"

They always pause for a second and then burst out in laughter.

Sometimes they even repeat it to their friends who might not have heard you.

You are telling them that you are not a Guava, you are a Pineapple!

Some will ask "why are you a pineapple?"

I tell them that I am brown and rough outside and soft and sweet inside. Again, they laugh.

If you can tell a little joke about yourself in their language you are ahead of the game and gain a little respect.

They are very careful about what they say about you in the future.

Now to some locals I am known as Mister Saparot!

This is exactly my approach. However, living in CM - I don't use 'Saparot'; I use Bey Kwakah (phonetics?) which is the Lanna Thai for the same thing, Guava. I believe the Isaan for Guava is Sri Thay - so that would work there.

In general, if I hear them starting to talk about me, I say, "Bor ben Yang (Lanna for Mai pen rai) falang chawp sanook" - smile, and they are then somewhat guarded in what they say. The only sticky one I had was a tuk-tuk driver who started slating me, but a quick response, Khun khit pom gnu, mai? (you think I'm stupid?) and he soon backed off.

Bor Penyang is Lao/Isaan,NOT Lanna!rolleyes.gif

You don't need to know much thai, just a few phrases that will apply to almost any situation.

When you hear the word Farang used smile and in Thai tell them " I am not Farang, I am Saparot!"

I tell them that I am brown and rough outside and soft and sweet inside. Again, they laugh.

If you can tell a little joke about yourself in their language you are ahead of the game and gain a little respect.

This is exactly my approach. However, living in CM - I don't use 'Saparot'; I use Bey Kwakah (phonetics?) which is the Lanna Thai for the same thing, Guava. I believe the Isaan for Guava is Sri Thay - so that would work there.

In general, if I hear them starting to talk about me, I say, "Bor ben Yang (Lanna for Mai pen rai) falang chawp sanook" - smile, and they are then somewhat guarded in what they say. The only sticky one I had was a tuk-tuk driver who started slating me, but a quick response, Khun khit pom gnu, mai? (you think I'm stupid?) and he soon backed off.

Unbelievable.

Isarn for guava is baksida.

It's gno, not gnu

Unbelievable.

It's gno, not gnu

It's Isaan not isarn

Unbelievable.

It's gno, not gnu

It's Isaan not isarn

Says who?

It could Eesarn also.

You are "farang" to them, that is, an object, rather than a human being. This is also why many Thais have very difficult to deal with the fact, that a white skin, a "farang", so totally different from a normal human being, can speak Thai.

In order for us to make ourself a little more human, less objectified, we should try to avoid calling ourselves "farang" all the time.

Hear hear!

As a word it's banned around me. All the people saying it's meant in a cute nice way.

If the word sounded like "dick head" but the Thais said it was just a cute friendly word, would we stand for it? Its an ignorant word. Simple.

I used to live with a Lanna Chao on an estate in Chiang Mai. Once she had a garden party and invited a couple of ex PM's, Thaksin's wife and the Queen. I heard the Chao and the Queen talking about me in a pleasant way and the Queen calls me "farang". It used to bother me just a little bit when people called me that but I can't really hold them to a higher standard than the Queen, now can I?

Once she had a garden party and invited a couple of ex PM's, Thaksin's wife and the Queen.

I thought I was reading a post from the blether.

Come to think of it yes it smells like BS.

I mean the queen of thailand? Seriously? Is thaksin's wife even cordial with the queen?

And this guy is offended that he got called a farang by the queen or the high ranking thais no less. cheesy.gif

What you expect the queen of thailand to apologize to you? whistling.gif For calling you a farang in which you are one? Mind you if you are chinese you would be called chin or khek for indian and is that supposed to be offensive?

Dude be glad the queen even acknowledged your presence if this story is even true in the first place. You could just be deported from thailand and maybe even charged in your home country cos let's be honest the leader of your home country accords more respect to the queen of thailand or any leader/diplomat of thailand compared to the likes of you.

• Like 1

Does this apply the same way when farangs call say asians in their farang countries?

Asian is an ethnicity and the correct term....

Farang literally means 'foreigner' and other way round if I was referring to someone of Asian descent as a foreigner in the UK....well that is not accepted and you know that!

"Farang literally means 'foreigner"

Well no ! this argument has been debated on TV more times than most have had hot dinners. Try telling a Thai in your own Country they are now Farang. Believe me they will be horrified. And vehemently claim they are Thai not Farang. (which means they don't even know they are even a foreigner when they are in someone else's Country) So they recognise their own anti feelings of being called a Farang, but not your feelings!

Once at a Party in the UK,amongst Thais and English, I kept hearing the usual:Falang,Falang,Farang, after a while I Politely said: excuse me "There are no Farangs here,we are in our own Country,"have you thought that you are now the Farang", to which she replied the immortal words, with aggression "I am not Farang I am Thai" and insisted that I was still the Farang,and no amount of reason on my part,would convince her otherwise,not even that she is a Foreigner,and therefore a Farang, So my point is if Thais do not like being labelled,then the term is most certainly derogatory, if they can't accept it either!

Exactly.

It is a gross generalisation which is gross affront to any individual. Thais would hate to be labeled the same way as Cambodians or Burmese or Filipino.

This faux pride of thainess makes me want to puke.... Proud Of what exactly? Thailand's international fame and reputation is precisely what?

• Like 2

Meanwhile in other news stories some asian guy was offended the Queen of england called him an asian guy which is an extremely offensive slur that his british gf invited all the elite of british society to.

The odd thing was the reaction of the british ppl when they heard that the asian guy was offended he was called "asian" by the queen of england. Yes he is an asian guy cos he is from asia and isn't western/white or african so they couldn't grasp the concept of why he was offended.

At the same time a white guy was offended he was called "farang" aka what they called european ppl in thailand by the queen of thailand nontheless.

The public clearly practiced double standards by being offended that a white/western person was called a "farang" by the queen of thailand but thought the asian person who was called "asian" by the queen of england was just being a prick.

• Like 2

Thailand's international fame and reputation is precisely what?

Calm down. As a UK citizen I'm none too concerned about what the outside world thinks of me.

I none too concerned about what my compatriots think of me either. I pay the tax and tolerate my fellow citizens temper tantrums on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I genuinely believe I come from a superior race. Many of you wont like me saying that, but I believe it so. I come from a country with a better world history, far better education, better economy, more achievments..... Why do these rice monkeys genuinely believe they are superior to use and take every opporuntiy to say so?

Jesus... 100 years ago they were eating food out of a bowl with there fingers without shoes.

I dont get it. I realy dont.

By the way I walked back into the 7/11 3 times at 5 minute intervals, each time buying a 10baht chocalte bar and handing over 1000 baht note. On my third visit she looked pissed off so I said in Thai "you said you didnt care that I gave you 1000 baht so i thought i would get some change off you a few times, and I am polite because I am better than you". I needed the mrs to tell me what to say word for word in the car as my thai isnt good enough to just come out with that fluently. I did the trick, they looked like they wanted the ground to open up and swallow them.

Honestly you expect sympathy? Talking about the fact that all cos you are a farang you are somehow superior to them. If that;s how you think well then just take it. Let's be honest about it. If they were in your country they would have been insulted for being 3rd world free loaders living in the superior western world.

No, they wouldn't. You seem to have a very large chip on your shoulder.

Does this apply the same way when farangs call say asians in their farang countries?

Asian is an ethnicity and the correct term....

Farang literally means 'foreigner' and other way round if I was referring to someone of Asian descent as a foreigner in the UK....well that is not accepted and you know that!

"Farang literally means 'foreigner"

Well no ! this argument has been debated on TV more times than most have had hot dinners. Try telling a Thai in your own Country they are now Farang. Believe me they will be horrified. And vehemently claim they are Thai not Farang. (which means they don't even know they are even a foreigner when they are in someone else's Country) So they recognise their own anti feelings of being called a Farang, but not your feelings!

Once at a Party in the UK,amongst Thais and English, I kept hearing the usual:Falang,Falang,Farang, after a while I Politely said: excuse me "There are no Farangs here,we are in our own Country,"have you thought that you are now the Farang", to which she replied the immortal words, with aggression "I am not Farang I am Thai" and insisted that I was still the Farang,and no amount of reason on my part,would convince her otherwise,not even that she is a Foreigner,and therefore a Farang, So my point is if Thais do not like being labelled,then the term is most certainly derogatory, if they can't accept it either!

Oh you dam_n well know what "farang" means. A japanese in thailand and they are foreigners aren't called farang. So are koreans, chinese and other asian foreigners. You are wrong right here. A japanese in thailand is a foreigner but they aren't called farang.

You are just being sensitive. Do you think an asian guy at a gathering of farangs should feel offended if they called him "asian" or maybe "wop"?

Edited by snake24

I genuinely believe I come from a superior race. Many of you wont like me saying that, but I believe it so. I come from a country with a better world history, far better education, better economy, more achievments..... Why do these rice monkeys genuinely believe they are superior to use and take every opporuntiy to say so?

Jesus... 100 years ago they were eating food out of a bowl with there fingers without shoes.

By the way I walked back into the 7/11 3 times at 5 minute intervals, each time buying a 10baht chocalte bar and handing over 1000 baht note. On my third visit she looked pissed off so I said in Thai "you said you didnt care that I gave you 1000 baht so i thought i would get some change off you a few times, and I am polite because I am better than you". I needed the mrs to tell me what to say word for word in the car as my thai isnt good enough to just come out with that fluently. I did the trick, they looked like they wanted the ground to open up and swallow them.

Honestly you expect sympathy? Talking about the fact that all cos you are a farang you are somehow superior to them. If that;s how you think well then just take it. Let's be honest about it. If they were in your country they would have been insulted for being 3rd world free loaders living in the superior western world.

No, they wouldn't. You seem to have a very large chip on your shoulder.

They wouldn't?

Everyone knows how being a non white aka farang is treated like in the western world. It would be a miracle if you weren't racially abused.

I have lived here full time for ten years. 8 years ago, I lived in a small town in central Thailand. My Thai then wasnt too great but I used to notice one common theme: in some shops or social situations a group of Thais would openly laugh and talk around me. At the time I genuinely believed it was just them being cool, having a laugh, and I would laugh along with them and often stand there grinning like a goofy idiot.

I look back on that now, and i cringe. I now speak pretty reasonable Thai and I know full well that all those years ago, they were actualy saying things like "look at his bold head! Ha Ha Ha I bet he has a small cock too! You seen his pretty GF? Shes just with him for the money, what a stupid fat <deleted>!"

I have had shit said in front of me a few times and it drives me nuts. I was in a 7/11 up-country recently, brought a pack of smokes and handed over 1000 baht. In English I said sorry, and smiled politley. She turned to her co-worker and said "why is the bufalo saying sorry? Do i care that he gave me 1000 Baht, its not my money im changing" The co-worker said words to the affect of "Stupid ferang thinks we seem him as a prince because he thinks he is so polite.

Why? I mean why have some much farking hatred for a total stranger who is polite, friendly and respectable? It always puzzles me. I genuinely believe I come from a superior race. Many of you wont like me saying that, but I believe it so. I come from a country with a better world history, far better education, better economy, more achievments..... Why do these rice monkeys genuinely believe they are superior to use and take every opporuntiy to say so?

Don't you know the Thai word for 'sorry'? Maybe they're not saying what you thin they're saying.

Yes of course. I would have said "Kor Thud, mai mee dang noi" (im sorry, i dont have small money) but i often find up country when i try and speak Thai - for some reason I only have an issue with this in 7/11's - the young kirds serving get shy and giggly. I have no idea why. For that reason, i just said a polite and quick 'sorry' in English to save the whole 'oh my god he is speaking thai to me what do i do now' childish crap

This only really applies to people who speak a little Thai, or enough to overhear conversations. What do you do when someone starts talking shit about you when they're about 2 feet away from you, and they don't realize you can understand what they're saying?

God that pisses me off.

I just went down to the store to grab a few things. Just a typical, family owned mom & pop store. They had some family event / meal going on, mom was the clerk, and this ~20yo female was milling around, who I'm assuming was their daughter / niece. The young ditzy thing starts saying I'm stupid, and so are all farangs, and this and that.

I figured she probably already had some lao khao in her, so gave her a bit of lee-way for being young and stupid. The part that angered me was the mom / aunt didn't speak up at all. This lady is about 45, and doesn't know my level of Thai, but knows that I know at least some. I don't know, maybe she was just silently hoping I didn't understand what was being said.

So I got pissed, and just said, "excuse me? yes, I do understand what you're saying". The ditzy thing then just tried to joke her way out of it, and said it's no problem. That just pissed me off even more, so I began putting my things back on the shelf, and said, "sorry about that, and i'll never come to your store again. don't worry, there's about 6 other stores in walking distance, and i'll go there from now on".

At that point, the mom / aunt spoke up. She spoke really quickly in Laos though (i'm in Issan), so I didn't catch what she said. Whatever was said prompted the ditzy thing to apologize to me though, so I grabbed my stuff again, and bought from that store.

I don't know, just pissed me off. What do you do when things like that happen?

Same thing happened to me when first arrived in Thailand. I still no very little now but what I do know a so called Thai friend was calling me this. I said what did you say? Repeated himself and smirked. Said nothing punched him flat out right in the mouth 1 hit he went down! Never happened again!! I don't normally do it violence is dumb but was so angry

• Like 1