Thaksin Shinawatra escapes 'terrorism' charge

webfact

Another DSI Thaksin/Red/UDD whitewash. Disgraceful Thailand.

Notwithstanding the embarassingly loaded "escapes" tag line from the Nation, you do realise that it is the Attorney General who made this decision not the DSI Cief, Tharit.

You may also want to keep in mind that both the Attorney General and DSI Chief were appointed by Abhisit. Was there any criticism of those characters during the Abhisit years?

It is more likely that after Abhisit had made the first accusation of terrorism (a convenient post 9/11 buzz word used to excuse any kind of difficulty any government found itself in) words were whispered into his ear by the Insurance Companies about the fact that they would refuse to pay up if terrorism was involved, which brings us neatly to the present day.

I am sorry but thats completely untrue.........

BANGKOK, Oct 5, 2013– Newly-appointed Attorney General Attapol Yaisawang has promised to work professionally and fairly without political interference, disclose all cases to the public and protect the rights of defendants.

The AG was appionted by the Yingluck cabinet and this is one of his first acts and although Tarit began his teneture under the Dem government he has proven he is a Thaksin man to the core.

The Yingluck cabinet on Tuesday approved a proposal by the Justice Ministry to extend for another year the term of Tarit Pengdith as director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a matter of time before "the Lad " can return to Thailand ...officially.

The Bt30 National Health Service will not be forgotten and whereas the few TV red Necks might not like him or his ideas personally..thats the way things go here.

Just look at the trouble that President Obama is having with his welfare plans...US is shut down...crivens

Another beer Khun T?

• Like 2

Another DSI Thaksin/Red/UDD whitewash. Disgraceful Thailand.

Notwithstanding the embarassingly loaded "escapes" tag line from the Nation, you do realise that it is the Attorney General who made this decision not the DSI Cief, Tharit.

You may also want to keep in mind that both the Attorney General and DSI Chief were appointed by Abhisit. Was there any criticism of those characters during the Abhisit years?

It is more likely that after Abhisit had made the first accusation of terrorism (a convenient post 9/11 buzz word used to excuse any kind of difficulty any government found itself in) words were whispered into his ear by the Insurance Companies about the fact that they would refuse to pay up if terrorism was involved, which brings us neatly to the present day.

I am sorry but thats completely untrue.........

BANGKOK, Oct 5, 2013– Newly-appointed Attorney General Attapol Yaisawang has promised to work professionally and fairly without political interference, disclose all cases to the public and protect the rights of defendants.

The AG was appionted by the Yingluck cabinet and this is one of his first acts and although Tarit began his teneture under the Dem government he has proven he is a Thaksin man to the core.

The Yingluck cabinet on Tuesday approved a proposal by the Justice Ministry to extend for another year the term of Tarit Pengdith as director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

Completely untrue? Do you think that this is a new accusation? From the OP

attorney-general Athapol Yaisawang said.

He said it was a decision taken by his predecessor Chulasingh Vasantasingh, who cited weak evidence as reason not to prosecute Thaksin.

No need to apologise - nobody on here appears to do so when they're proved to be wrong.

• Like 2

somewhat bewildered by the farang anti Thaksin barrage

As someone who left Thailand well before Thaksin's golden years and returned shortly after they were prematurely ended, I too was somewhat bamboozled. While I was in the US, I was similarly challenged by the concept of their deep hatred for Castro in Cuba. Then an American friend explained it thus, "Castro pointed a (Russian) gun at Uncle Sam's head and we will never, ever forgive that."

So looking at the history of Thaksin's revolutionary government in that context, I can only surmise that when it comes to doing something unimaginably unforgiveable to the farang 'resident tourist' of that time, he threatened to close all the farang-centric adult entertainment facilities and for that they will never, ever forgive him.

• Like 2

Office of the Attorney-General spokesman Nanthasak Pulsuk said Thaksin had only phoned in from abroad and there was no clear evidence that he had instigated people to take part in terrorism.
"Thaksin's address [to the red shirts] did not call on the protesters to violate the law by burning city halls, embassies, consulate offices, or by toppling the Constitution. The violence at the Ratchaprasong intersection was because the government used military force to reclaim the protest area - with armoured vehicles and war weapons - to disperse the red-shirt protest, leading to many injuries and deaths," he said.

Isn't this a somewhat revealing statement to come from the A-Gs office? The A-G, who should impartially hold up the law, blames the violence on the government and army. There is no comment about the illegal and violent behaviour of the terrorists whom he labels "protesters".

• Like 1

He said it was a decision taken by his predecessor Chulasingh Vasantasingh, who cited weak evidence as reason not to prosecute Thaksin.

No need to apologise - nobody on here appears to do so when they're proved to be wrong.

Indeed, and how convenient. "I'm the current attorney-general, i am the one announcing this decision, but just in case you have any queries or questions about this decision, it wasn't me, it was the geezer that came before me, and you can't ask him any questions, cause he isn't here"... so that's the end of that debate.

Surprising how naive to a bit of diplomatic political spin, or BS to put it another way, people can be when they so choose.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2

Nice one Takkie, it's all falling into place with your lackeys. Sorry, but to my mind the overwhelming covert objective of the UDD protests was to force Abhisit to resign or else spill blood which would tip public opinion against him. For this reason an 11th hour call came in mysteriously and scuppered the deal they had accepted. In the end it didn't work out, and terrorism charges were appropriate. Now that they're in power they get to make up the rules. The responsibility for the 91 deaths should be laid at Thaksin's feet. Of course he'll never be held accountable, he's too tricky.

• Like 2

Dr T is a competent leader. A tad bossy maybe, but far better than the white trash in the west, and err... Chief warmonger in the WH

I don't think Barack Obama would like being referred to as "white trash" even though he's in the White House.

"Dr.T is a competent leader"? Everyone has an opinion...etc.

• Like 1

Chulasingh admits dropping Thaksin's charge

BANGKOK: -- Former attorney general Chulasingh Vasantasingh on Friday said he was responsible for the prosecution decision to drop terrorism charge against the former prime minister.

"I am responsible for not trying Thaksin Shinawatra," he said, testifying in a House subcommittee.

Chulasingh justified his decision by saying that Thaksin's involvement in the 2010 political mayhem happened outside Thailand.

The other reason was he believed even if Thaksin had not made the phone-in, protesters would still carry out their activities.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-11

Indeed, and how convenient. "I'm the current attorney-general, i am the one announcing this decision, but just in case you have any queries or questions about this decision, it wasn't me, it was the geezer that came before me, and you can't ask him any questions, cause he isn't here"... so that's the end of that debate.

Surprising how naive to a bit of diplomatic political spin, or BS to put it another way, people can be when they so choose.

Was the decision made by the new Attorney General, No. The preceding one, yes. If this is not true why doesn't the previous AG come right out and say it. Don't tell me "Thaksins brown nosed acolytes" have him bound to a chair with masking tape hidden in a safe house somewhere.

Suprising how some people wouldn't accept the truth if it bit them on the ass if it's not what they want to hear.

And lo and behold, the previous AG has evidently fought free of his shackles and said Yes, it was me.What part of that do you not understand?

Edited by fab4

Chulasingh justified his decision by saying that Thaksin's involvement in the 2010 political mayhem happened outside Thailand.

The other reason was he believed even if Thaksin had not made the phone-in, protesters would still carry out their activities.

Well if that's a 'legal' opinion it just demonstrates that their competence is down at the Plodprasop level. It also demonstrates that the AG is at the mercy of the ruling party and why it never should be a barrier to CC submissions.

I have always felt that the terrorist charge was a big mistake. A strong case could have been made of incitement to violence as well as charges of funding an insurrection. I did expect the charges to be dropped but they might have found a better 'justification' than the above tripe.

In the light of

BANGKOK: -- Former attorney general Chulasingh Vasantasingh on Friday said he was responsible for the prosecution decision to drop terrorism charge against the former prime minister. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/673837-thaksin-shinawatra-escapes-terrorism-charge/page-3#entry6913486

being posted,

I've changed my mind - perhaps both you and waza can apologise, waza for saying I was completely wrong and you for calling me naive and saying I was wrong

Caustic? Hardly. Name one thing the warmonger in chief has achieved so far? At least bush had a plan.as does Dr T. This is what happens when you have 50 million on food stamps and disability . The proles vote for moar moar moar.

Was the decision made by the new Attorney General, No. The preceding one, yes. If this is not true why doesn't the previous AG come right out and say it. Don't tell me "Thaksins brown nosed acolytes" have him bound to a chair with masking tape hidden in a safe house somewhere.

Suprising how some people wouldn't accept the truth if it bit them on the ass if it's not what they want to hear.

And lo and behold, the previous AG has evidently fought free of his shackles and said Yes, it was me.What part of that do you not understand?

What authority or power does the ex attorney-general carry now? None. Decisions that were made under his tenure were his, decisions made under the tenure of the current AG, are his. This is nothing more than a political charade. Carry on sucking it up if you wish.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Calling the entire red event terrorism was a legal stretch anyway.

Pursuing Thaksin on terrorism charge was always going to be difficult issue. Could you imagine if Thailand had actually convicted him of terrorism, so that the current incumbent prime minister would have been the sister of a convicted terrorist? She wouldn't be able to meet half the worlds' politicians and leaders. As ludicrous as Thailand can appear on the global stage, that would have been a step to far.

She would have gone around telling the world, yes, they convicted my brother for apparently organising people to burn down a shopping centre, and that puts my brother up there with Osama Bin Laden

• Like 1

She would have gone around telling the world, yes, they convicted my brother for apparently organising people to burn down a shopping centre, and that puts my brother up there with Osama Bin Laden

I believe the burning down of a shopping center was only a very small part of the whole picture. I seem to remember Thaksins name being mentioned in the same sentence as the word "genocide" a few years ago. Something to do with him being involved with the "removal" of quite a lot of people. This guy attracts nasty charges like a magnet. Perhaps one day justice will be served.

There are a lot of differences between Thaksin and someone like Abhisit. For one thing Abhisit is not a criminal on the run too afraid to come home and face charges, or meet a fate much worse. whistling.gif